HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Golisano letter revisted

Old
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Devo-2

vCash: 500
Golisano letter revisted

In my attempts at procrastinating, I dug up Tom Golisano's old letter to Gary Bettman in the aftermath of Neil's hit on Drury (link to full letter below).

Quote:
In our recent game with the Ottawa Senators, an opposing player skated half the width of the ice surface, approached Chris Drury from his blind side, and delivered a blow to his head which dislodged his helmet, severely lacerating the area around his eye causing a concussion. Chris Drury did not have the puck, he was not able to see the player coming from behind, and had relaxed his guard. The player in question was aware his presence was undetected but chose to deliver a vicious blow, which can only be construed as intent to injure.

As you know we have been on the other end of hits, which cause injury to the head. Tim Connolly our star offensive player was knocked out of the Stanley Cup by this same team. Although I didn’t like it, Tim’s situation is very different. He had the puck; he was making a play and could have reasonably seen the approaching player. I never complained.

This situation is very different.

Your office informed our team today that the hit on Chris Drury was a legal hit and that it fit within the standard of play acceptable to the NHL. We do not think this should be the standard and we do not think it helps our game or the league.
There is nothing manly about hitting a player that can’t see you. There is nothing entertaining about a big man hitting a smaller man in the head. There is nothing good to come of a policy that allows exciting, skilled players to be targets for what I believe to be predatory play.

I strongly urge you to convene the appropriate forum to immediately review this policy.
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...130&topic=2300

I remember some real animosity from not only Ottawa fans and media (I'm looking at you Bruce Garrioch), but other fans on what was interpreted as another act of Buffalo "whining" over a hockey hit (see links below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343Nqe3hcFE

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=350191&page=13

It now seems as though the letter perfectly describes the new NHL rule on hitting to the head proposed three years later, and I find it interesting and surprising that Golisano’s letter hasn’t been revisited.

Quote:
The 30 general managers meeting here agreed to prohibit “a lateral, back-pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact,” a statement from the league said.
The measure is intended to prohibit blindside shoulder checks to the head, which are currently legal but have caused several concussions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/sp...1meetings.html

P.S. I am not trying to drum up another debate comparing Neil's hit on Drury to Cooke's on Savard. That said, I found it amusing to compare Garrioch's article after Cooke's hit to his comments on Golisano's letter in the clip above.

Quote:
EDMONTON — In wake of Matt Cooke’s cheap shot on Marc Savard, the consensus is headshots have got to go.

With the focus of this week’s GMs’ meetings in Florida on how to get headshots out of the game, the Senators are interested in the outcome.

Most agreed after Pittsburgh’s Cooke blindside hit left Boston’s Savard with a concussion Sunday that some sort of rule has to be put in place to try to protect players without taking away the physical nature of hockey.
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/colu.../13161111.html

Last edited by Devo-2: 03-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Garrioch has always been a sad excuse for a journalist. he's Eklund with a weekly article. His magic reversal on the blindside hits goes back to when Alfreddson was lined up by a Toronto player a few years back and the Ottawa players/coaches cried bloody murder.

However, this phenomenon isn't anything new. Unless its a truly awful hit, fans of the hitter will call it clean, fans of the victim will call it dirty. The quality of the character of the players on that Ottawa team has been proven to be less than ideal the past couple years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Since beating Buffalo in the ECF, they have gone 1-8 in the playoffs. Given, Buffalo has gone 0-0 since then, however, Buffalo also lost the core of their team in Briere and Drury, whereas Ottawa was able to keep their team together for the most part.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

good post and timely re-visit of the issue (and NOT the incident).
Don Cherry keeps saying that the rule already exist, you just have to expand the definition of it and not be a literalist (intent to injure portion of the debate).

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
good post and timely re-visit of the issue (and NOT the incident).
Don Cherry keeps saying that the rule already exist, you just have to expand the definition of it and not be a literalist (intent to injure portion of the debate).
And Grapes would be right about that. I have no idea who Colin Campbell is trying to impress with his stance but it ain't many.

Golisano's letter was a great moment of leadership on his part.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
And Grapes would be right about that. I have no idea who Colin Campbell is trying to impress with his stance but it ain't many.

Golisano's letter was a great moment of leadership on his part.

Ta,
meh, its a symbol of the internet age, lack of critical thinking and ability to interpret a greater context than the written word. Its a real failure in a potential application of common sense (an almost extint notion these days, in the this context and most work environments; but I digress).

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:08 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
meh, its a symbol of the internet age, lack of critical thinking and ability to interpret a greater context than the written word. Its a real failure in a potential application of common sense (an almost extint notion these days, in the this context and most work environments; but I digress).
A lack of critical thinking is a function of how we've been educated. But, I'm not going on that rant here. The OT thread or my facebook page would be more apropos. [1]

Ta,

[1] just ask Jame

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote