HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard wins rookie & second star of the month!

Old
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Howard wins rookie & second star of the month!

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...f_the_month14/

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523582

This really has been a remarkable season for Jimmy and I know we've all talked about it so much. Even the biggest supporters most likely never envisioned this.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Flash-in-the-pan Jimmeh

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

This really has been a remarkable season for Jimmy and I know we've all talked about it so much. Even the biggest supporters most likely never envisioned this.
Let's put it this way, I don't think even his biggest supporters believe he's going to play this well next year, much less expected it in year 1.

Jimmy Howard is the most out-of-nowhere successful player for the Red Wings that I can ever remember. It's like if Jiri Hudler or Val Filppula came up and in their rookie year scored 40 goals and had 100+ points, or if Darren Helm scored 25 goals and won the Selke, or if Ericsson went 18-50 with a +30.

Mind-boggling.

Even more providential, this amazing year came at the most important position on the ice and during a season where Detroit was ravaged by injuries for the first 5 months.

What an incredible season.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

Some did. It was easy to think that way when he won gold at the U-18 championship and carried Maine as a sophomore. I'm not claiming that I never had any doubts, but Howard was an exciting prospect from very early on. Some of his early accomplishments that foreshadowed this kind of upside:

Set US national program record with .933 save percentage.
Won gold for Team USA at 2002 under-18 world championship (6 GP, 1.33 GAA, .954 SPCT).
Maine business major enjoyed school record 187:43 shutout string early in year.
Posted 12-1 record, 1.52 GAA and .947 SPCT over first half.

There was also that massive streak where he didn't allow an even strength goal.

I'm excited to see what Howard can do in the playoffs. He's got big game goalie pedigree. I don't expect him to pull a Legace

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Some did.
Nobody did. Not a single person that I ever saw. Show me the quote where someone predicted Howard would be top 10 in the main goalie categories, much less top 5... hell, much less top 3.

The closest I ever saw people get to accurately predicting Howard's play was thinking he'd be a good NHL starter... and that's it. Not a great NHL starter. Most times you got the 'I think he has the potential to be a good starter'.

Quote:
I'm excited to see what Howard can do in the playoffs. He's got big game goalie pedigree. I don't expect him to pull a Legace
What's a big game goalie pedigree when the goalie has never won a championship at any level since his U-18 tourney, and who hasn't won a playoff round as a professional?

Hey, Howard may continue to play well in the postseason and he's wildly exceeded all expectations of him so far, but 'pedigree'? Gimme a break. Not even remotely close to accurate.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Yeah when he was drafted he was an exciting prospect who seemed capable of playing at a high level. I think it was the time in Grand Rapids that really brought about the doubts. Sure he was an AHL All Star but he never played at the level he played at in college, in international competition or in Detroit.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

I never expected this season out of Howard. However, it does not surprise me, per se. And that's a testament to goalies in general more than it is to Howard in particular. Goalies are more of a wild card than any other position, imo. I had seen Howard play enough through his career that I knew he was a very good goalie, relative to his peers. And so while the odds may have been against him becoming an NHL starter, and even more so doing what he has done, any "very good goalie," given the opportunity, can explode onto the scene.

Jiri Hudler or Val Filppula coming up and scoring 40 goals and 100+ points in their rookie year, or Darren Helm scoring 25 goals and winning the Selke, or Ericsson posting 18-50-68 with a +30 would surprise me a million times more than Howard doing what he has done this year.

And I don't mean to downplay Howard's accomplishments. They have been simply amazing.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:22 PM
doublejack

Here you go, Heaton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
god, some people make me laugh. I cant wait for this kid to make it and let them eat their own god damn words or contradict themselves. I have been a fan of this kid since 2003. I hated us picking him in 2002, but i became a fan. Write him off. Do it. I have seen him several times and the kid is a man playing with boys and is VERY bored. Talk to him, you will hear it. Its really not that hard. Im not a fan of too many peopple. but this kid is the real deal. Babcock loved him in last years camps, loved how well he prepared himself and if i could find the link i would post it. Jimmy lost a ton of weight last summer, got in great shape. He will go into this summer, get in better shape and dominate everything thrown at him. Ill mark it now.
The thread that was posted in is also full of posts where I defended Howard. There were absolutely people who believed he'd be a franchise goalie. (in retrospect, I'm in love with my own comparisons between Miller and Howard).

Any other NHL franchise would have had Howard in the NHL years before Holland finally got his courage up enough to give the kids a shot. The only reason there were ever doubts about Howard was because of the maddeningly slow pace he was brought along at and the fact that Grand Rapids was just awful for most of his tenure as their starter.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I thought he was going to be this year's Conklin, but he's turned out to be so much more.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:50 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Zetterberg40 must be so proud

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

(in retrospect, I'm in love with my own comparisons between Miller and Howard).
Red Wings Central's scouting report compared him to Miller. At this point his stats look similar to Miller's. Miller's stats from this year. As a rookie.

Old
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Red Wings Central's scouting report compared him to Miller. At this point his stats look similar to Miller's. Miller's stats from this year. As a rookie.
Beyond stats, what exactly is the comparison? Place of birth? I guess we have a 6 million dollar goaltender now. What is really , is the only player between Howard and first star is Lee Stempniak. Lee friggin Stempniak, a goal a game? Are you kidding me.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
PNHockey61

Last year I was pissed off they didn't bring Howard up as back up. I knew he had what it takes. I watched in a few years ago when he played his 1st NHL game and he looked phenomenal and right then I was surprised every year when he wasn't the back up, knowing the Redwings organization I shouldn't have been though. I think he will continue to be one of the leagues best goalies and he will only get better. Also quote me on this, the Redwings will make it to the Stanley Cup finals and the reason will be Howard, he will win them their games.

PNHockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Beyond stats, what exactly is the comparison? Place of birth? I guess we have a 6 million dollar goaltender now.
Well both players went the college route and excelled there. They both went pro after their Junior seasons and I believe they spent the same number of years in the AHL, although Miller had the lockout year during his move up to the pro level.

So there are a number of similarities.

Old
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Well both players went the college route and excelled there. They both went pro after their Junior seasons and I believe they spent the same number of years in the AHL, although Miller had the lockout year during his move up to the pro level.

So there are a number of similarities.
A lot of similarities that have nothing to do with playing style.

Rick Nash and Corey Perry both played for the London Knights, thats a similarity too? They both have ~30 goals. They are both Canadian. So what.

Howard and Miller both have strengths, clearly. I don't see the comparison however.

Old
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Well you said "beyond stats" so I gave you beyond stats based on what I recall from Red Wings Central's scouting report. But that's besides the point. When you are comparing one goalie to other goalies most people use stats as a comparison.

Old
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
zecke26

once again we have a proof that player bashing on this board leads to a better player performance, remember lilja for example.

so the real reason why howard is great is HiHD. we all should thank him!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Well you said "beyond stats" so I gave you beyond stats based on what I recall from Red Wings Central's scouting report. But that's besides the point. When you are comparing one goalie to other goalies most people use stats as a comparison.
Miller is 6'2" 175. Howard is 6'0" 210. There is a stat you can compare. Just very different players imo. Wishful thinking for anyone to make that comparison.

Old
04-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Harnessed in Slums

People compare Sid Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin all the time. Or Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe. Size/weight really don't enter into the conversation.

Old
04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
once again we have a proof that player bashing on this board leads to a better player performance, remember lilja for example.

so the real reason why howard is great is HiHD. we all should thank him!
Sadly, it hasn't worked with Cleary or Stuart or Lebda, all players I apparently hate.

Old
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Nobody did. Not a single person that I ever saw. Show me the quote where someone predicted Howard would be top 10 in the main goalie categories, much less top 5... hell, much less top 3.

The closest I ever saw people get to accurately predicting Howard's play was thinking he'd be a good NHL starter... and that's it. Not a great NHL starter. Most times you got the 'I think he has the potential to be a good starter'.

What's a big game goalie pedigree when the goalie has never won a championship at any level since his U-18 tourney, and who hasn't won a playoff round as a professional?

Hey, Howard may continue to play well in the postseason and he's wildly exceeded all expectations of him so far, but 'pedigree'? Gimme a break. Not even remotely close to accurate.

Not to take anything away from Jimmy, but a couple of fairly ordinary goalies have put up very nice regular season numbers for Detroit in the last five to 10 years.
Ty Conklin.
Manny Legace
Chris Osgood.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Not to take anything away from Jimmy, but a couple of fairly ordinary goalies have put up very nice regular season numbers for Detroit in the last five to 10 years.
Ty Conklin.
Manny Legace
Chris Osgood.
I think the increased buzz is because he's a rookie. And he's played behind a much weaker team for the majority of the season than Conklin, Legace or Osgood have in recent year.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:37 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Ty Conklin.
Manny Legace
Chris Osgood.
Yeah but those guys suck and are products of the system.

Good for Jimmy. No need to get on other posters for it, though.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Go Wings

I'll be honest I didnt think he was going to be this good at all. Everytime I saw him previously in Detroit he didnt impress me at all and didnt play well. But I said he's put in his time and has earned at least until the trade deadline to prove he can play in the NHL. Personally I thought he might fail and that Larsson would be called up. But I'm glad he's played so well because myself and other Wings fans have been dying for a drafted and developed top 5 NHL goalie for years. Hopefully Jimmy will be it and continue on the same path as Ryan Miller although I would like him to win us some cups something that has eluded Miller so far.

Jaster is definately right in that goalies are the big wild card out there you never know for sure what they are going to do until they get to the NHL that's why he deserved a chance.

Last edited by Go Wings: 04-02-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
14ari13

Congratulations to Howard.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote