HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Lee Baldwin

Old
03-20-2010, 09:24 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

vCash: 500
Rangers sign Lee Baldwin

Dobber hockey is reporting that University of Alaska-Anchorage Defenseman Lee Baldwin has signed with the Rangers

There is a serious backlog of talent on the blueline for NY going forward

Last edited by Trxjw: 03-22-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Adjusted title
donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Don't know anything about him but the more the merrier.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Dobber hockey is reporting that University of Alaska-Anchorage Defenseman Lee Baldwin has signed with the Rangers

There is a serious backlog of talent on the blueline for NY going forward
While they do have some good young talent, players like Potter and Heikenen are most likely not going to be either with the organization or considered a prospect next season so that leaves McDonagh, Sanguinetti, Sauer(can't stay healthy), Kundratek, Maggio, Dowzak(ECHL), Gaulton(coming off a major injury) and Klassen.

It is still very good depth unless two of those players McDonagh and Sanguinetti make the jump next season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I haven't seen this confirmed, but someone mentioned it in the prospects thread as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal
You guys have signed Lee Baldwin to an ELC

Lee Baldwin, Alaska-Anchorage -- At 6-3 and 203 pounds, NHL scouts are drooling over the potential of this freshman defenseman. There is room for him to grow physically and in terms of his on-ice game, but if Baldwin, who had 9 points this season, wants to forgo his final three seasons, the option will be there. He has the potential to become a great puck-moving defenseman, and with his size, that's a rare combination all NHL teams desire.

No link that I can find yet, but it should be out shortly.
Here's Woodlief's report on him:

Quote:
4. Lee Baldwin/LD — Alaska Anchorage, 6-4/203, April 22, 1988 (Fresh.)

Tall and mobile freshman blue-liner plays beyond his years and in all situations. Smooth skater is nimble on his feet. Head-mans the puck cleanly and remains poised, making safe decisions under pressure. Supports the offensive rush and opportunistically pinches into openings from the point. Has a great reach and plays with sensible physicality, but isn't a consistent force yet and has a lot of bulk yet to be added to his massive frame.
Since it's kind of a rumor, I'll leave the thread open for now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Zil

The Rangers seem to have a habit of signing college fa defensemen with Pock, Gilroy, and now this guy. Given their history with these signings I'm going to wait a while before getting excited about it (if it's true). I still don't know what to think of Gilroy. Let's hope his play makes a big jump forward next season.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Fletch

I get scared with these older college players. The quote "plays beyond his years" would make sense if the kid was 18/19, but he's 21 years old - as old as many seniors yet he's a freshman. OK, a 21 year old kid is able to stand out among a group largely made up of 18-22 year olds, great, where was he when he was 17-20?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I get scared with these older college players. The quote "plays beyond his years" would make sense if the kid was 18/19, but he's 21 years old - as old as many seniors yet he's a freshman. OK, a 21 year old kid is able to stand out among a group largely made up of 18-22 year olds, great, where was he when he was 17-20?
He played in the BCHL last year. Had 13 goals and 41 assists for 54 points in that league.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Always wary of these types of signings... the size looks nice, though.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post
Always wary of these types of signings... the size looks nice, though.
Why? They didn't use any assets to trade for the guy and they didn't use up a draft pick on him. I don't see any draw back to it.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Why? They didn't use any assets to trade for the guy and they didn't use up a draft pick on him. I don't see any draw back to it.
Thats the exact same way I look at it. Sometimes they work out (Gilroy, Girardi) and sometimes they dont (Pock) but either way it provides depth and the possibility to steal a good young player for free.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:18 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

thanks for altering the threat title, wasn't really sure how to label it

If Dobber is reporting it I would say its fairly certain it happened, he is a reliable source IMHO.

(so it isn't a "rumor" as far as I am concerned)

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Thats the exact same way I look at it. Sometimes they work out (Gilroy, Girardi) and sometimes they dont (Pock) but either way it provides depth and the possibility to steal a good young player for free.
Gilroy's a joke.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Gilroy's a joke.
He is in the NHL. I would say Redden is a worse defenseman than Gilroy. Getting even a bottom-pairing defenseman for free isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Zil

Quote:
Gilroy's a joke.
He's a rookie. He's old for a rookie, but he's still a rookie. Let's at least see what he does next year before calling him a joke. I don't see what the problem with him is in the meantime. It's not like he's Redden, who both sucks and has the worst contract in the league.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
He's a rookie. He's old for a rookie, but he's still a rookie. Let's at least see what he does next year before calling him a joke. I don't see what the problem with him is in the meantime. It's not like he's Redden, who both sucks and has the worst contract in the league.
I know he's a rookie. I went to highschool with him and he was in my Gym class. In fact, he's the one that told me higgins was traded and packed his bags. Gilroy was a forward at St Mary's in his highschool career. He switched to defense in College. That should say a little something too.

I just want to assess his game as it is. People were complaining about Poti? Gil's is very similar in style. He's a very soft player. He has an extremely tough time containing the puck off of bigger players. He's also easily rattled along the boards. His speed makes up for his poor positioning at times.

I would love for him to improve. I just don't see any meaningful improvement from him.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I know he's a rookie. I went to highschool with him and he was in my Gym class. In fact, he's the one that told me higgins was traded and packed his bags. Gilroy was a forward at St Mary's in his highschool career. He switched to defense in College. That should say a little something too.

I just want to assess his game as it is. People were complaining about Poti? Gil's is very similar in style. He's a very soft player. He has an extremely tough time containing the puck off of bigger players. He's also easily rattled along the boards. His speed makes up for his poor positioning at times.

I would love for him to improve. I just don't see any meaningful improvement from him.
I think its a little unfair to assess him only on this season. It was a very large jump for him to go from college where he had to take classes straight to the NHL where he played a lot more games.

I am sure he has gotten worn down and to me it makes no sense why Sather and Torts didn't make a 7th defenseman more of a priority considering his lack of games played/season prior to this year.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Poti is a former first round pick, who has carved out a pretty good NHL career. He didn't really fit in here, but he's certainly playering an important role on a team that might very well win the President's Trophy.

If Gilroy can do anywhere near as well, he'll have a decent career in the NHL. However, he has to progress rapidly from here and I don't know if he can. One thing I do know: if he's here next year, he will be blocking another prospect (most likely Sangs) from winning a roster spot. I seriously doubt the Rangers can afford to add another rookie with such a young defense.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yeah, since you put it that way I realize what I said was wrong. I mean, there's no real "risk" involved.

What I meant to basically say, in a nutshell, is players like the mentioned: Gilroy, Girardi, and Pock are not what I want on this team. But whatever, another body I guess at the very least... hopefully it works out.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Poti is a former first round pick, who has carved out a pretty good NHL career. He didn't really fit in here, but he's certainly playering an important role on a team that might very well win the President's Trophy.

If Gilroy can do anywhere near as well, he'll have a decent career in the NHL. However, he has to progress rapidly from here and I don't know if he can. One thing I do know: if he's here next year, he will be blocking another prospect (most likely Sangs) from winning a roster spot. I seriously doubt the Rangers can afford to add another rookie with such a young defense.
I'm comparing Poti's soft game to Gilroys. Not every single aspect (vision, passing, shot, skating etc)

Old
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I think what everyone's REALLY complaining about is the fact that, while we aren't giving up assets, it's just more of the same... a finesse and so called "puck-moving" defenseman....

The Rangers are filled with them...

How about signing a defensively strong EXTREMELY PHYSICAL MONSTER on D? They're not THAT hard to find, seems like every team has one or more except us......

I'm sick of hearing about smooth strides, puck movers, offensive defenseman, finesse defenseman... the Rangers need a better version of Kasper back. The blueshirts need THEIR Brooks Orpik.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I'm comparing Poti's soft game to Gilroys. Not every single aspect (vision, passing, shot, skating etc)
And I think that's fair---unlike MDZ, as a rookie, who's more lenient on the offensive side of the puck like Gilroy, Gilroy doesn't hit or attempt to hit and I definitely agree that he has trouble with bigger forwards.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I think what everyone's REALLY complaining about is the fact that, while we aren't giving up assets, it's just more of the same... a finesse and so called "puck-moving" defenseman....

The Rangers are filled with them...

How about signing a defensively strong EXTREMELY PHYSICAL MONSTER on D? They're not THAT hard to find, seems like every team has one or more except us......

I'm sick of hearing about smooth strides, puck movers, offensive defenseman, finesse defenseman... the Rangers need a better version of Kasper back. The blueshirts need THEIR Brooks Orpik.
They have tried. Kundratek was supposedly like Phaneuf with the way he liked to hit and play. Sauer was supposed to be a big physical mean defenseman. McDonagh is supposedly pretty physical in the corners and very strong.

It comes down to the fact that he is available for free. Just because the system is deep now doesnt mean they shouldnt pursue this guy. An organization can never have enough depth. Trades are always a possibility.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The Rangers seem to have a habit of signing college fa defensemen with Pock, Gilroy, and now this guy. Given their history with these signings I'm going to wait a while before getting excited about it (if it's true). I still don't know what to think of Gilroy. Let's hope his play makes a big jump forward next season.
Don't forget Gilroy is 26 so there isn't much room for development, next year will be very telling of what kind of player we will get from him for the remainder of his career.

This kid is 21-22, many more years of development to go plus potential.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
They have tried. Kundratek was supposedly like Phaneuf with the way he liked to hit and play. Sauer was supposed to be a big physical mean defenseman. McDonagh is supposedly pretty physical in the corners and very strong.

It comes down to the fact that he is available for free. Just because the system is deep now doesnt mean they shouldnt pursue this guy. An organization can never have enough depth. Trades are always a possibility.
And all of our depth should be valued around the league, and somewhat is.

So you're telling me Sather couldn't package some of this excess D along with roster players for a decent player or 1st round picks? (Not asking or attacking you personally, more of a rhetorical q).

Old
03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Don't forget Gilroy is 26 so there isn't much room for development, next year will be very telling of what kind of player we will get from him for the remainder of his career.

This kid is 21-22, many more years of development to go plus potential.
That's nonsense... age doesn't factor into development... experience does.

It's not like Gilroy's stride is completely done, and how he is now is how he'll be forever...

He's adapting. He went from HS to College and switched to ENTIRELY DIFFERENT POSITIONS. Now he's changed from playing very few games to playing 82 games, a struggle every night against NHL players, playing with one of the worst defensemen in the league night in and night out in Redden.

I mean, I'm not pro-Gilroy, but hinting at the fact that he can't get better is absurd.