Notices

Expectations for the rest of the season

Old
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Expectations for the rest of the season

Since we can all assume at this point Minnesota will not be making the playoffs, what would everyone like to see happen with team for the final nine games?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
djp4516

I'd like to see as much Josh Harding as possible, and giving Wellman a shot to play with Havlat and Latendresse.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I expect Guillaume Latendresse will reach the 30 goals.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I'd like to see as much Josh Harding as possible, and giving Wellman a shot to play with Havlat and Latendresse.
That would be my answer.

Old
03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I'd like to see them all dress up in clown suits and skate around to the Circus song while topless cheerleaders jump up and down through the aisles. Kind of like a Japanese game show, only on ice.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I don't expect much. They really were playing some exciting hockey before the Olympics; now 20 shots a game seems out of reach. I think Koivu, Havlat, Backstrom, and Zidlicky all would have benefitted from a rest, as they are the ones who seem to have dropped down a level. If I were Richards, I'd try to get that fire back before the end of the season, not to make the playoffs obviously, but to end on a good note. Giving some of the Houston crew another sniff might be in order as well.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
mnwildgophers

I hope that we give Wellman some shots on the PP, and I hope that we can show that we still care even when we know that we aren't going to make it. Play Harding some games to raise his value.

I want to see our young guys play well, going to be watching them still, not really sure why.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
BigT2002

ok fine, I'll be serious

-They need to juggle the Powerplay a little to see what happens. Get Wellman on there, and you might as well throw Nolan too in order to see if there is any production out of them

-Make the super line again to see what happens. Latendress-Koivu-Havlat-Zidlicky-Burns

-Harding starts the rest of the season, hopefully gets one or two shutouts

-Give Boogaard 3rd line minutes and see if he can finally put a damn puck in the net.

Old
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
-Make the super line again to see what happens. Latendress-Koivu-Havlat-Zidlicky-Burns.
I don't mind this idea, but are we going to be using this line going forward? It seems to me and most of the rest of the posters that we are going to be having a Lats-Wellman-Havlat line next year I think, and that we most likely are going to be focusing on a top line winger for the Koivu line.

I'm still torn as to what we do, but I think Wellman could play wing on the Koivu line if we end swinging a trade for a 2nd line center instead of a winger. If say we do get a Sharp from the Hawks, where would we rather play him? Center between Havlat and Lats or would we try to play him with Koivu and Bruno?

Lots of things to think about this offseason, and I think this draft will go a long ways for our prospect pool, I want to see us play hard these last 9 games even though we won't make the playoffs.

If we end up at #10 for a draft choice, who would we take? Who do we think is going to be available? Do we draft the best available forward or best player there? Center? Wing? Does it matter?

(I'd start my own thread, but it won't let me yet.)

Old
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I also wanna see Wellman and Harding play more.
I would love to put Wellman on one of our first two lines in place of Miettinen or Ebbett, but that's unlikely.

Also, I'd like to see Boogaard average 1.7 fights per game.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I'm still torn as to what we do, but I think Wellman could play wing on the Koivu line if we end swinging a trade for a 2nd line center instead of a winger. If say we do get a Sharp from the Hawks, where would we rather play him? Center between Havlat and Lats or would we try to play him with Koivu and Bruno?
Put him with Havlat and Latendresse IF he can sustain an at least decent FO%.

That line would be lethal, and Sharp-Koivu-Brunette would be almost as sick.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sharp-Koivu-Brunette
Havlat-Wellman-Latendresse
Miettinen-Ebbett-Clutterbuck
Kobasew-Brodziak-Nolan

Burns-Barker
Zidlicky-Zanon
Schultz-Stoner

Backstrom
Harding

Assuming we got Sharp (or another top line winger), would those be our lines next year?

3rd and 4th lines subject to change.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I don't mind this idea, but are we going to be using this line going forward? It seems to me and most of the rest of the posters that we are going to be having a Lats-Wellman-Havlat line next year I think, and that we most likely are going to be focusing on a top line winger for the Koivu line.
I at least want to hit our same GF mark of last year. We need 20 more goals to hit that.

Quote:
We need to get another center on this team regardless....even if Bouchard comes back. PMB sucks at face offs and he'll already be demoted to 4th line if he even comes back. Brodziak has made me a believer. A winger would be good, but I don't find it to be the #1 thing to work on.

Quote:
Lots of things to think about this offseason, and I think this draft will go a long ways for our prospect pool, I want to see us play hard these last 9 games even though we won't make the playoffs.
In my humble opinion, in order:

1) Center
2) Winger, prefer it on the LW
3) AHL quality/prospect

Quote:
If we end up at #10 for a draft choice, who would we take? Who do we think is going to be available? Do we draft the best available forward or best player there? Center? Wing? Does it matter?
We need to get the best player for this team.

MIKAEL GRANLUND

BRETT CONNOLLY

Old
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
We need to get another center on this team regardless....even if Bouchard comes back. PMB sucks at face offs and he'll already be demoted to 4th line if he even comes back. Brodziak has made me a believer. A winger would be good, but I don't find it to be the #1 thing to work on.

In my humble opinion, in order:

1) Center
2) Winger, prefer it on the LW
3) AHL quality/prospect

We need to get the best player for this team.

MIKAEL GRANLUND

BRETT CONNOLLY
I agree that we must get the best player for this team, I think that we should be focusing on a forward that can score though, and I'm sure that CF knows this.

It's too hard to tell what CF is going to do for getting another center whether he will trade for one or sign one of the FA market, that remains to be seen. The good part is we have a lot of options of what happens this offseason. This season has been a rocky one, but I feel very optimistic for next season since I think Backs will have a good season and we'll make the playoffs, then who know what will happen if we get there.

I am very excited to see what Fletch can pull off. I'm mostly looking for us to get Sharp and I think that we will get him, I'm not sure why, I just feel like we can pull off a trade for him.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'd take El Nino over Connolly in a heart beat. I'm just hoping that kid falls to the Wild.

I'm sort of torn over Granlund. You can't argue with his production with the big boys in SML. But man, that size concerns me.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I'd take El Nino over Connolly in a heart beat. I'm just hoping that kid falls to the Wild.

I'm sort of torn over Granlund. You can't argue with his production with the big boys in SML. But man, that size concerns me.
I figure that Nino will be gone before we can get him. What are we picking right now, #10?

Old
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I figure that Nino will be gone before we can get him. What are we picking right now, #10?
Right now (3/24) would be tenth as Minnesota is tied with Anaheim at 76 points; however the Ducks have a game in hand.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Right now (3/24) would be tenth as Minnesota is tied with Anaheim at 76 points; however the Ducks have a game in hand.
Yeah, I think that we will have a hard time getting any lower than that, and I don't think that Nino will fall that far, but we can hope. 2nd round picks could also be very valuable to us, so having two of them could end up working out great for our prospect pool, but I could see us trading away Washington's 2nd rounder for something in the draft.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The Wild could probably move down one more spot, but that's about it. After Atlanta, the next tier of teams are all five or more points behind Minnesota.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
mnwildgophers

Well, at this point I'd rather see us finish well than tank, I can't stand to see us lose.

Old
03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I don't think it matters what happens as the Wild will be picking (lottery win regardless) somewhere between nine and twelve.

Old
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
mnwildgophers

Using #10 for argument's case, we would have the #10, #40, and somewhere in the high #50's-60 in the fist two rounds. Sounds great to me.

Old
03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's a lot better than #12 and nothing for the next two rounds.

Old
03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Jbcraig1883

This is what I would like to see happen:

Wellman with Koivu and Brunette. Let Bruno and Koivu cycle and let Wellman find open ice...he's faster than Mittens and has a hell of a shot.

Put Sheppard between Havlat and Lats. Sheppard isn't fast enough to be a 3rd/4th liner so give him 9 games to try to find confidence for us, or at least show something to raise his stock for an offseason trade.

Bring up Noreau and see what he can do. Let Zanon heal; God knows he's earned it.

Bring up Kassian. See if he can replace Boogy. He's cheaper and has more hockey sense...yea, I said it, haha.

Play Harding to increase his stock going into the offseason.

As far as drafting, I want Nino or Skinner. Nino already plays an NHL style game. He has a great frame, good skating, protects the puck and has a shot similar to Lats'. Skinner is a just a good darn player and is underrated imo.

I've posted this before but Granlund seemed overwhelmed at the WJC. I know he has done something never done in the Finnish adult league but I am worried about his size/willingness to win battles in the corner.

Nino had an awesome WJC and was the best forward not named Hall during the Elite Prospects game. He and Skinner dominated all night, creating chances, playing off the rush, as well as cycling.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In all honesty, is there a way to improve Harding's stock after the seven game stretch he just had while still playing all the youngsters and trying new things?

But I'm with you on Nino or Skinner. I'd rather have Nino for size, but one of my friends is a big Kitchener fan and has been pimping out Skinner's season all year.

Old
03-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Jbcraig1883

Touche.

I don't think he can lower it....and if Backstrom isn't 100%, might as well decrease the chance of Backstrom re-aggravating his injury.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote