HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

PHT's article about Ducks possibly moving Ryan for D

Old
03-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
You have to realize that Christiansen is not the Rangers answer for their #1 center problem, and they will continue to have issues scoring goals if he is playing on the first line next season as well. That D looks pretty bad as well.
Christensen isn't a "#1 center" but he plays well with Gaborik, as does Prospal. Is Steve Downie a #1 LW? No, but he plays on the top line and works there with Stamkos and St Louis. The point is that lineup has balanced scoring and more guys in their right spots / roles than this year or last year's team.

I don't think the D looks bad. It's got a hell of a lot more grit than this year's squad and there's only 1 rookie, 2 second year players, and the other 3 are veterans.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post

Prospal Christensen Gaborik
Ryan Dubinsky Jagr
Grachev Drury Callahan (or replace Grachev with Weise)
Prust Boyle Avery

Volchenkov Del Zotto
Sanguinetti K. Sauer
Gilroy Vandermeer
Strudwick

Lundqvist
Auld
Still weak down the middle imo, a GLARING issue for the Rangers, once again. I REALLY hope the plan is not going into next year with Christensen as the #1 center. Even Dubi at #2 is wearing thin.

They need a REAL #1 center

I would put this up on the board and think about it. Id like to see Dubi/Drury/Cally play 25 games in a row without getting tinkered with. Just let this line find their chemistry. I'm ok with Avery on the 4th line as long as they roll all 4 lines - which means we have a new coach I guess

xxx - xxx - Gabby
xxx - Christ - xxx
Dubi- Drury - Callahan
Prust Boyle Avery

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 03-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Christensen isn't a "#1 center" but he plays well with Gaborik, as does Prospal. Is Steve Downie a #1 LW? No, but he plays on the top line and works there with Stamkos and St Louis. The point is that lineup has balanced scoring and more guys in their right spots / roles than this year or last year's team.

I don't think the D looks bad. It's got a hell of a lot more grit than this year's squad and there's only 1 rookie, 2 second year players, and the other 3 are veterans.
The team this season was suppose to have a "balanced" line-up and look how that turned out. A true #1 center is much more important then having a true #1 LW, that is why the formula for building a good team is a #1 goalie, then a solid D-core, then down the middle.

You also have to realize that Grachev is more then likely not ready yet and having Weise on the 3rd line won't work either.

Not to mention the team loses some mobility on D with that trade.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:46 AM
GarretJoseph

no thank you. i'll keep Staal, dump redden and sign Kovy.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:58 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I guess it depends upon what you do in the draft. If you end up drafting a Fowler or Gudbranson, conceivably you could offer Staal for Ryan. You get your top six forward, and you've drafted your top pairing D-man.
Got to agree with you--plus if the Rangers sign Volchenkov he alone could replace Staal.

Get Glen on the phone.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Staal for Ryan in a Heartbeat. I'd be willing to gamble that MacD will replace Staal's performance just to get one of the best young players in the world.

Ryan projects to be a 40-40 guy. Staal projects to be Barret Jackman at best.

Moreover, you can find a guy to do what Staal brings, or at least close to it, once a year in UFA.

But I'd be more than happy if we kept Staal. He's def a building blocks but no way does he prevent you from getting Bobby Ryan

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I guess it depends upon what you do in the draft. If you end up drafting a Fowler or Gudbranson, conceivably you could offer Staal for Ryan. You get your top six forward, and you've drafted your top pairing D-man.
That's probably the only circumstance that I would consider it. Even then, it's tough justifying the loss of Staal based on the potential of a draft pick; even if it is Fowler or Gudbranson.

Plus, I don't think either will be able to step into the NHL next year, which means we need a stop gap d-man, and that probably means another trip to the UFA market for Sather.

I don't think Staal straight up would get it done though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Staal for Ryan in a Heartbeat. I'd be willing to gamble that MacD will replace Staal's performance just to get one of the best young players in the world.

Ryan projects to be a 40-40 guy. Staal projects to be Barret Jackman at best.

Moreover, you can find a guy to do what Staal brings, or at least close to it, once a year in UFA.

But I'd be more than happy if we kept Staal. He's def a building blocks but no way does he prevent you from getting Bobby Ryan
I would move Staal for Ryan. It's a good swap for a team with so much depth in defensive prospects. . . .

If we do this though, expect a bad year next year as well. Players like Gilroy,MDZ are going to need time to season. Same goes for any player we bring up (Potter/Sangs). Then you got Girardi who needs to make significant strides if he wants to be successful here in NY due to the mobility required to play Tort's system.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
This would be a pipe dream, and he's bff with Sangs

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

The defense isn't good enough to give up someone like Staal.

You thought the defense this year was bad? Lets trade Staal, then you'll REALLY see a s**tshow on D.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
The defense isn't good enough to give up someone like Staal.

You thought the defense this year was bad? Lets trade Staal, then you'll REALLY see a s**tshow on D.
The Rangers lead the NHL (or close to it) with the worst winning pct when allowing 2 goals or less.

Technically and tactically, the defense isnt as bad as we make them out to be (collectively). The problem is that the offense can't score, and no defense on any NHL team right now is so superior that they can win 55 or 60 percent of their games 1-0 and 2-1.

Seriously, I watched every game of the 1992 and 1994 seasons. I transferred a ton to DVD. Guys like Leetch and Beukeboom and Lowe and Wells and Zubov and Patrick made the same mistakes and blew coverages like Redden and Rosie and Girardi. However, the those teams were scoring almost 4 goals a game so their shortcomings on defense didnt really mean anything.

Henrik needs a good offense. If you remember way back when we were 7-1, we dominated every game except the Kings game. Our defense literally did nothing because we were scoring early and often.

I think if Staal gets traded for an offensive-minded player like Ryan, the team would be better off in the long run. Possibly. Maybe.

Old
03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
otto1219

Quote:
The Rangers lead the NHL (or close to it) with the worst winning pct when allowing 2 goals or less.

Technically and tactically, the defense isnt as bad as we make them out to be (collectively). The problem is that the offense can't score, and no defense on any NHL team right now is so superior that they can win 55 or 60 percent of their games 1-0 and 2-1.

Seriously, I watched every game of the 1992 and 1994 seasons. I transferred a ton to DVD. Guys like Leetch and Beukeboom and Lowe and Wells and Zubov and Patrick made the same mistakes and blew coverages like Redden and Rosie and Girardi. However, the those teams were scoring almost 4 goals a game so their shortcomings on defense didnt really mean anything.

Henrik needs a good offense. If you remember way back when we were 7-1, we dominated every game except the Kings game. Our defense literally did nothing because we were scoring early and often.

I think if Staal gets traded for an offensive-minded player like Ryan, the team would be better off in the long run. Possibly. Maybe.
i see your point, but our powerplay with zubov and leetch as quarterbacks was a whole lot better than what we have now. Beukebom also played with an edge like no player currently on our roster.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:

Leetch and Co made mistakes, that happens to every player, but your leaving out one detail. They were WAY better than Redden, Rosival and Girardi.

Those defensemen were incredibly important during those years. Not to mention, Leetch and Zubov were right there with the offense putting up points. I believe Zubov lead the team in points.

And then you had Beuke who was a rock on defense.

I just feel like trading Staal would be taking one step forward, while taking one step back. Okay, you got a Top 6 winger who can put up points, but you lost your shutdown Top pairing defenseman.

And I don't care what the Stats say, I know what I saw with my eyes, the defense wasn't good this year.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
well im thiking a 3rd rounder and staal straight up and the ducks would do it...but im not sure if we woul do it....its a tough move but a fair trade

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
otto1219

If the ducks offer us Bobby Ryan for Marc Staal straight up we would be insane not to take it. Local kid from New Jersey, who has put up back to back 30 goal seasons who just turned 23 for a defenseman with very limited offensive upside. Our depth at defense would give us the ability to make this trade.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I would trade Staal for Ryan in a heartbeat.

Anyone who has watched our anemic offense for the past few years and still would refuse this trade is insane.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
pld459666

Getting a guy like Bobby Ryan would be frickin awesome, but we would still piss and moan about him not scoring goals the way he did in Anaheim because we would still be left without the center we need to get him the puck.

What makes Ryan so special right now is that he's playing, consistently I might add, with Getzlaf and Perry.

We have one of a big three already here in Gaborik. We still need that Legit #1 center that this team has lacked since Messier in his prime.

I would do Staal for Ryan. I'd even throw in a 2nd rounder in 2011 to sweeten the pot, but until we can move dead weight players like Dreary, Blowzitall and Deaden this team will continue walking on the Fail Trail.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
If the ducks offer us Bobby Ryan for Marc Staal straight up we would be insane not to take it. Local kid from New Jersey, who has put up back to back 30 goal seasons who just turned 23 for a defenseman with very limited offensive upside. Our depth at defense would give us the ability to make this trade.
I agree that we do have depth but not NHL ready. That's the only thing that makes me hesitant. As much as I wouldn't want to do that trade, I would. I could then foresee getting 2 D men quick in the off-season as a stop-gap for the youth.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I agree that we do have depth but not NHL ready. That's the only thing that makes me hesitant. As much as I wouldn't want to do that trade, I would. I could then foresee getting 2 quick D men in the off-season as a stop-gap for the youth.
I would, too, especially if the Rangers were able to get Fowler or Gudbranson.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Leetch and Co made mistakes, that happens to every player, but your leaving out one detail. They were WAY better than Redden, Rosival and Girardi.

Those defensemen were incredibly important during those years. Not to mention, Leetch and Zubov were right there with the offense putting up points. I believe Zubov lead the team in points.

And then you had Beuke who was a rock on defense.

I just feel like trading Staal would be taking one step forward, while taking one step back. Okay, you got a Top 6 winger who can put up points, but you lost your shutdown Top pairing defenseman.

And I don't care what the Stats say, I know what I saw with my eyes, the defense wasn't good this year.
Obviously. The whole point is that even a top-flight defense corps with Hall of Famers still made mistakes.

I know for a fact the defense wasnt good. But they werent the 2001 Rangers. Redden is garbage but for say 800K he's a decent 5th or 6th. Yet when he blew that coverage in the Nashville game, the whole Rangers organization and fanbase exploded and he was benched. That was a 2-1 game!!!

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

For the record, the rangers are 12th in Goals Against and 13th in Shots against. Not great but not horrible either, considering we started two rookies, Staal had an off year and Redden was Redden