HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The worst part about the slump.

Old
03-24-2010, 03:39 AM
godeepdown

vCash: 500
The worst part about the slump.

The slump may be frustrating, it may be disappointing but the thing I hate the most about any of the Sharks slumps especially the playoffs. Is the people that come out of the woodwork to tell you about it. There are maybe three people at work who like hockey no one else ever even mentions it until the Sharks are losing. Then it's four people a day "wow the Sharks are really blowing it", (all who are Raiders or Niners fans like they should talk about losing a few games). People who don't know a anything about hockey. I think the only time the press covers the Sharks is when the lose. No one ever comes up and mentions when they are first in the league or on a long win streak. Burns my biscuits! Sorry had to vent

godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
The worst part about the slump is it shows other teams where our weaknesses are and how they can exploit them come playoff time. Last year I bet you the Ducks were watching every single game the Sharks were losing in the final month and what the teams that were beating us were doing to do it.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Kevy D

the worst part of the slump was when team canada took a vacation!

Kevy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
sjshrky27

I just hope the slump is over. That was 2 weeks of hell.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
The worst part about the slump is it shows other teams where our weaknesses are and how they can exploit them come playoff time. Last year I bet you the Ducks were watching every single game the Sharks were losing in the final month and what the teams that were beating us were doing to do it.
You've just described every slump ever, and teams go through them every year, even the ones that win the Cup. I guarantee you other teams knew about the Sharks "weaknesses" long before this losing streak, it's not as if they were invincible and have just now become exposed.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
You've just described every slump ever, and teams go through them every year, even the ones that win the Cup. I guarantee you other teams knew about the Sharks "weaknesses" long before this losing streak, it's not as if they were invincible and have just now become exposed.
Exactly. What will it take for Sharks fans to fully realize nothing matters until mid-April?

Detroit went into a really heavy slump during the middle/end of the season a few years back ... and they went on to win the Cup.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
This. Even the almighty Blackhawks have struggled, it happens to everyone.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

The worst part was crying to sleep every night.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdown View Post
The slump may be frustrating, it may be disappointing but the thing I hate the most about any of the Sharks slumps especially the playoffs. Is the people that come out of the woodwork to tell you about it. There are maybe three people at work who like hockey no one else ever even mentions it until the Sharks are losing. Then it's four people a day "wow the Sharks are really blowing it", (all who are Raiders or Niners fans like they should talk about losing a few games).
As a Niners fan myself, I guarantee you that they've taken plenty of grief over the last half dozen years.

And Raiders fans? Hahaha......they're just happy any time someone else can take the brunt of the ribbing for a few days. I'd rip them more, but I have an addiction to laziness.......just like JaMarcus Russel!

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Meh........I think the book on how to beat the Sharks in the playoffs is already out and has been on the bestseller list for several years now.

I don't think this slump changes much.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:22 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Quote:
The slump may be frustrating, it may be disappointing but the thing I hate the most about any of the Sharks slumps especially the playoffs. Is the people that come out of the woodwork to tell you about it. There are maybe three people at work who like hockey no one else ever even mentions it until the Sharks are losing. Then it's four people a day "wow the Sharks are really blowing it", (all who are Raiders or Niners fans like they should talk about losing a few games). People who don't know a anything about hockey. I think the only time the press covers the Sharks is when the lose. No one ever comes up and mentions when they are first in the league or on a long win streak. Burns my biscuits! Sorry had to vent
Back on topic... this absolutely stinks. Maybe those people think they're showing empathy with you or something, but it's only a reminder of the suckitude and makes you resent their naivete. These people should shut up and leave good fans alone.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Wait when they start winning, then you'll need another thread for people jumping on the bandwagon.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
I can't believe the Sharks won a game without Jody Shelley.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Exactly. What will it take for Sharks fans to fully realize nothing matters until mid-April?

Detroit went into a really heavy slump during the middle/end of the season a few years back ... and they went on to win the Cup.
Yup. With regards to this team, the only thing that matters in the regular season is that we finish top 8, outside of that it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Yup. With regards to this team, the only thing that matters in the regular season is that we finish top 8, outside of that it doesn't mean a damn thing.
I still like winning the Pacific. I remember the days when winning our division or conference regular season title was beyond a pipe-dream.

So, the regular season is still important to me.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I still like winning the Pacific. I remember the days when winning our division or conference regular season title was beyond a pipe-dream.

So, the regular season is still important to me.
I don't think I could stomach seeing another "Western Conference Regular Season Champions" banner being raised to the rafters.

Old
03-24-2010, 03:01 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
I don't think I could stomach seeing another "Western Conference Regular Season Champions" banner being raised to the rafters.
Don't worry the Hawks will get that one.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Brodeur

Keep your chins up guys. I've been telling my Sharks friends down here about the 2000 Devils.

The Devils were the #1 seed in the 1998 and 1999 playoffs and got knocked out in the first round. In 1997, they were knocked out in the second round by the Rangers. In 1996, they missed the playoffs completely. At this point in 2000, everybody was ready to declare the Devils Cup in 1995 a fluke (lockout season) and the team was full of choke artists.

The Devils were cruising along in the regular season and then completely collapsed down the stretch. They traded for Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov, but the team was still struggling. They ended up firing Robbie Ftorek and replacing him with Larry Robinson. By the end of the regular season, the Flyers had won the division and the Devils were the 4th seed.

Once they got to the playoffs, the team started clicking again and they were able to put to rest the talk about being chokers.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
SalsaShark
keep your head up

vCash: 50
Quote:

Detroits slump was longer than the one the sharks just endured. I think 9 games or something like that.

Sharks will pick it up. They better.

SalsaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
godeepdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
Wait when they start winning, then you'll need another thread for people jumping on the bandwagon.
That's the problem all of the non-hockey people never say anything when they are winning.

godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
That's the problem all of the non-hockey people never say anything when they are winning.
People around you might be an exception, there usually are a bunch of people who jump on the band wagon once we get into the 2nd round. Especially once we lose in the playoffs, everyone knows whats wrong with the Sharks, and how we should trade everyone on the team. Checkout the old archives on here you'll laugh your ass off, at some of the things there.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Obsessed Sharks Fan

Send a message via AIM to Obsessed Sharks Fan
Quote:

wasn't that when Lidstrom and/or some others were injured? they went 2-8 in a 10 game rut, I believe.

Obsessed Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
halfeze13

Quote:
TELL me about it! my dad thinks he knows everything about the sharks now cuz he reads the articles in the sports section of the merc. so far ive just let him "speak out of his... lack of information" and not argue but its pretty hard not to

halfeze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:36 PM
royale

Quote:
haha I completely agree with you. In Socal we have hear it from the fellow Ducks fans. This year lets hope they are quiet.. well they will probably say a few things if the Sharks don't win the cup and tease us about 07.

royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:41 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by royale View Post
haha I completely agree with you. In Socal we have hear it from the fellow Ducks fans. This year lets hope they are quiet.. well they will probably say a few things if the Sharks don't win the cup and tease us about 07.
The Duck fans just asked if we were choking early ... It's the Kings fans that are starting to come out of the woodwork, but they haven't won a Cup either so it's really easy to combat any lip from them. It took them 26 years to reach a final.

SoCalShark is offline   Reply With Quote