HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fantastic Freefall of Jonathan Cheechoo

Old
03-13-2010, 12:39 AM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

vCash: 500
The Fantastic Freefall of Jonathan Cheechoo

Here's an article I came across while browsing LS's post game quotes/articles. I know his downfall isn't "news," but the article is one of the rare ones on Cheech.

http://www.viewfrommyseats.com/2010/...than-cheechoo/

I'm not sure where Cheech fits, and if he ever will see the NHL again. This article seems to advocate his return, saying he's a great hockey player in a bottom 6 role. However, Sens fans seem to disagree with this.

Question: Would you take Cheech back at league minimum?

The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:46 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

No doubt at the league minimum. I'd even consider signing him for Mitchell money.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:49 AM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
If we had enough guys at the center position, and the cap space do it, I'd take him back any time. And that's not just blind love for the former Shark... I (still) think he's still got game left.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Another question: Could Cheech waive his incoming salary to play? I know it's 3+mil for one year, but if he has such a big heart and will to compete could this be waived in any way? I'm sure the NHLAPA would hate this, but with his current contract I just don't see too many takers and I doubt the Sens want that to take up their cap space after giving raises to Volch and others.

Old
03-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Kitten Mittons

Cheech's self-confidence... well, it probably doesn't exist anymore.

Cheechoo has 4G 2A in 12GP in the AHL.

Last edited by Kitten Mittons: 03-13-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

League minimum? My instincts say **** yeah!! But that would be hoping to get half the player he was in the Richard season ... I don't see that anywhere on the horizon. Injuries have ruined this guy ... a shame. A damned shame.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:16 AM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
League minimum? My instincts say **** yeah!! But that would be hoping to get half the player he was in the Richard season ... I don't see that anywhere on the horizon. Injuries have ruined this guy ... a shame. A damned shame.
This whole quote is pretty close to my feelings on the matter, especially the last bolded part.

I think Cheech should just take between now and the end of his contract next year to work on skating, conditioning, and everything!!!

Give half your 3mil to some major hockey training guru, pull some Rocky montages, and come back to the Sharks at league minimum!

But really, I just don't know if he has anything left. To repeat, it's a damn shame.

Old
03-13-2010, 01:19 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Another question: Could Cheech waive his incoming salary to play? I know it's 3+mil for one year, but if he has such a big heart and will to compete could this be waived in any way? I'm sure the NHLAPA would hate this, but with his current contract I just don't see too many takers and I doubt the Sens want that to take up their cap space after giving raises to Volch and others.
No. There is no player option to "buy out" a contract. (Only teams have that option.)

So, should Ottawa choose, they could pay him $1m for the next two years and he becomes a UFA. (With that $1m in cap hit for the next two seasons.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:22 AM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
No. There is no player option to "buy out" a contract. (Only teams have that option.)

So, should Ottawa choose, they could pay him $1m for the next two years and he becomes a UFA. (With that $1m in cap hit for the next two seasons.)
Thanks for the reply. I thought this was the case, but the Sykora thing with the Wild made me a little confused.

Old
03-13-2010, 02:27 AM
renodave

The key to Cheech playing hockey at the NHL level again is health. It's quite possible that he simply cannot generate enough push due to the double hernia -- rendering him virtually impotent as a hockey player. His heart and desire can continue to drive him, but without the ability to generate any leg thrust, sadly he's finished.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:32 AM

Worcester fans saw him play last night...he was pretty bad, basically just going through the motions.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:50 AM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Worcester fans saw him play last night...he was pretty bad, basically just going through the motions.
Thats too bad.=\. I loved Cheechoo, I wish he was doing well in Ottawa, just like Michalek. I would take Cheech back anytime. He has a heart of a warrior, he was usually the only Shark that would give 110 percent on the ice any night.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:33 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Why would we want him, at any price? He's just taking a roster spot from a player that's developing or one that can add more value to the team with some upside. Cheech, just has not gotten over his self confidence problems and he appears pretty depressed based on his play in the AHL these days. Sure, he's a veteran, has playoff experience, is probably still good in the locker room, etc.

Cheech appears to be in a free fall at this time. He may have problems even keeping an AHL carrier alive. He's not far from being cut free and hoping for a PTO at a training camp. This has all the makings of a SI article two years down the road, what ever happened to...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
That's not good to hear - but sort of understandable. It's probably pretty hard to figure out what he's playing for now.

I would hope he'd pull it together in the AHL and get a call up for the playoffs - pending the Sens make it.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:58 PM
booost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Why would we want him, at any price? He's just taking a roster spot from a player that's developing or one that can add more value to the team with some upside. Cheech, just has not gotten over his self confidence problems and he appears pretty depressed based on his play in the AHL these days. Sure, he's a veteran, has playoff experience, is probably still good in the locker room, etc.

Cheech appears to be in a free fall at this time. He may have problems even keeping an AHL carrier alive. He's not far from being cut free and hoping for a PTO at a training camp. This has all the makings of a SI article two years down the road, what ever happened to...
The best thing that could happen to him is being bought out and released outright. I doubt he will sniff the NHL again with his current contract.

booost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:53 AM
ngmcs8203

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_pubalgia

For those who wanted to know more about sports hernia. Looks like many athletes play with them, and there is a procedure to "fix" it. Looks like it wasn't enough for Cheech.

ngmcs8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
fxhomie

Cheech is done like dinner. His NHL days are over, and I'm not so sure he even has the legs for the A. Too bad, but pro sports are what have you done for me lately...

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
ngmcs8203

After reading the article I feel like the contents are nothing new to any Sharks fan who watched Cheechoo in his years here. Aside from being inspired to read up on sports hernias and trying to figure out why "First Nation" would be capitalized, I felt the story was "meh".

Bloggers like this guy remind me that there is still a place for real journalists who know when to bring new material to their piece and when to explain portions of their story so that the outside world knows what in the hell they're talking about.

Old
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcs8203 View Post
...and trying to figure out why "First Nation" would be capitalized...
For the same reason "Native American" is.

Old
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
ngmcs8203

Got it. I figured it was a reference to a hockey club that people would never expect an NHL'r to come from.

Old
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...220?source=rss

Merc feature on Cheechoo

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Well, here's hoping we can at least see him at the Captain's Practices this summer.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
ngmcs8203

That's, what, three "free fall" articles on Cheechoo in the last week or two? Are these writers just borrowing concepts from the original story?

Old
03-16-2010, 12:55 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcs8203 View Post
That's, what, three "free fall" articles on Cheechoo in the last week or two? Are these writers just borrowing concepts from the original story?
I dunno but either way its just sad

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Cheechoo has been suspended two games by the AHL for boarding Toronto's Simon Gysbers Wednesday night.