Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Help needed: Maria Rooth & Swedish women

Old
05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Tenzy

vCash: 500
Help needed: Maria Rooth & Swedish women

Hi everybody, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm not having much luck on my own.

I'm trying to find info on Swedish womens hockey, the national team as well as the leagues. I admit to knowing very little about the Swedish leagues in general and even less about the women so any help here would be great. I am especially interested in ANY info on Maria Rooth, on and off ice.

Are there any English language sites out there, or am I just SOL? All I've been able to find are dry statistics and I can only find that for the national team.

Most importantly, does anyone know where (if) I can get dvds of some of Maria's games? Doesn't matter if it's national team or league games, or even what language they're in as long as they will play here on US dvd players. I'm especially looking for the 2006 Olympic game against the US. I am happy to pay any reasonable amount for it or others.

I know this is an odd request and there isn't much womens hockey discussed here but I don't know where else to go for help. Maria and the rest of the Swedish team have been an obsession for me since 2002. Unfortunately I see 3-4 games once every four years. Though they are younger than I am, I have recently become worried that Maria and Erika Holst might not play in 2014.

Don't suppose there is any hope for a jersey?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Tenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:21 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Apparently she have her own home page

http://www.mariarooth.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Rooth

Dont know much about her or women hockey to be honest. Good luck in your search for info.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Tenzy

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately best I can tell there isn't much useful info on her web site, at least not in English, and it doesn't seem to be updated very often.

Looks like she runs a hockey school for little girls, but unfortunately I'm not Swedish and it's been a long long time since I was young enough to participate anyway.

I swiped all the pics I could from there a month ago.

Thanks for your effort though.

Old
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Try and search for Maria Rooth with google translate then Swedish pages will be translated to English (in this case).

http://www.google.se/search?q=Maria+...lirsl:en&tbo=1

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Tenzy

Thank you. You have been incredibly helpful.

Now if I could just find some of her games I could die happy, as the saying goes.

Old
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
joeschmoe

The NCAA website has DVDs available for the national championship games that Maria played in when she was a member of the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs from 1999-2003 (three consecutive national titles.) She had a standout career here and had her jersey retired, the only female athlete in any sport at UMD to have that honor. She's returning to the Bulldogs as an assistant coach next season. UMD won its fifth national title this past season, so maybe Maria can keep that going.

Click here: NCAA DVDs

How could you be "obsessed" with the Swedish national team and not be able to find any info on them? They're all over the internet, although a lot of the info is in Swedish. But as someone else said, Google will translate pages into English.

We've had a lot of Swedish players come over to play at UMD before and after Rooth. This year's Olympians (Elin Holmlov, Pernilla Winberg, Kim Martin and Jenni Asserholt) took the year off to stay in Sweden and prepare for the Olympics, but they'll be back. Jenni Asserholt decided to stay in Sweden rather than rejoin the Bulldogs. Don't know if she was homesick or what. I have one of Holmlov's game-worn signed jerseys. Sometimes the school has a auction during games to raise money, so that's about the only time you'll find jerseys available.

joeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
joe89

Yep, she'll be coaching her former college team next season in Minny. So officially retired aswell.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
joeschmoe

Some of Maria's accomplishments:

IN SWEDEN

Participated in four Olympics (1998, 2002, 2006, 2010)
Olympic silver medal in Torino 2006
All-Star team at the 2006 Olympics in Torino
Olympic bronze medal in Salt Lake City 2002
Participated in eight World Championships (97, 99, 00, 01, 04, 05, 07, 08)
World Championship bronze medal 2005
All-Star team at the 2005 World Championships in Sweden
Swedish Championship Gold medal with AIK 2006/07
European Club Team Championship gold medal with AIK 2006/07, 2007/08
Swedish Female Player of the Year 2005
Swedish Championship gold medals with M/B (04/05, 05/06)
Swedish Championship silver medal with Limhamn 2003/04
Swedish Championship bronze medals with Veddige (92/93, 97/98)
European Championship gold medal 1996

AT UMD

WCHA Top 10 Player (1999-2009)
Jersey retired (#27) in 2005
NCAA national championships with the Bulldogs (2001, 2002, 2003)
Nominated for the Patty Kazmaier Award (2000, 2001, 2002)
Graduated *** Laude from UMD (2003)
WCHA Rookie of the Year (2000)
Two-year Bulldogs captain (2002, 2003)
All-WCHA First Team (2000, 2001, 2002)
All-WCHA Second Team (2003)
All-WCHA Academic Team (2001, 2002, 2003)
All-American First Team (2001, 2002)
All-American Second Team (2003)
NCAA national championship MVP (2001)
UMD MVP (2001, 2003)

Old
05-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Tenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe;-_id=846&browse_year=All+Years"
NCAA DVDs[/URL]

How could you be "obsessed" with the Swedish national team and not be able to find any info on them? They're all over the internet, although a lot of the info is in Swedish. But as someone else said, Google will translate pages into English.

We've had a lot of Swedish players come over to play at UMD before and after Rooth. This year's Olympians (Elin Holmlov, Pernilla Winberg, Kim Martin and Jenni Asserholt) took the year off to stay in Sweden and prepare for the Olympics, but they'll be back. Jenni Asserholt decided to stay in Sweden rather than rejoin the Bulldogs. Don't know if she was homesick or what. I have one of Holmlov's game-worn signed jerseys. Sometimes the school has a auction during games to raise money, so that's about the only time you'll find jerseys available.
Thanks for the NCAA link. I'll definitely pick up the championship games. Thanks as well for listing her accomplishments in your other post. It's nice to have it listed all together.

As for how I can be obsessed with the Swedish team and not be able to find info, well maybe I should have been more clear. I was trying to avoid a long post. I have been unable to find the type of info I want. Yes I found a lot of info in Swedish, but was unaware I could get it translated. Still, some of the google translations make far more sense than others. And my "obsession" for the Swedish team comes from my obsession for Maria, and to a lesser extent Erika Holst and Kim Martin. I love to watch them play. Watching Maria skate brings me the same joy I used to have watching Gretzky skate in his Edmonton days. I finally got to watch him play live toward the end of his career. Doesn't look like I'll ever get to see Maria. Anyway, most info I found was game related and stats. That doesn't mean much if all you ever see is 2-3 games once every 4 years. I've never seen any of the world championship games and obviously haven't seen any league games. I've been looking for some of these as well as the Olympic games on dvd for years.

As for the jersey, I'm looking for any Rooth jersey, especially a blue Sweden and the AIK jersey. Don't know anything about AIK but it's a great looking jersey. I finally bought the yellow Sweden replica with her name but nobody has the blue.

Old
05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Tenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Yep, she'll be coaching her former college team next season in Minny. So officially retired aswell.
That is just too sad for words.

The few games I've seen over the years have brought me a great deal of joy, so I wish her all the success and happiness in the world in everything she does.

Old
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
joeschmoe

I guess I shouldn't tell you that I watched Erika and Maria play hockey here for four years. They're both great players, but Maria was in a league of her own. I also shouldn't tell you that I've watched Kim Martin play here for three years and will get to watch her play for one more season as a senior. The NCAA national championship game was here at home and I got to watch Kim shut out Wisconsin 4-0 and be named the tournament MVP. And I get to watch the other Swedes, too...Holmlov for one more year and Winberg for three more years.

They're all great players. We've never had one from Sweden who wasn't good. And to think they're coming to a foreign country, attending college in a foreign language and playing in a league that's far more competitive than anything else they've seen just shows what incredible young women they are. It's a pleasure to watch them play.