HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Updates 2009-2010 part III

Old
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephias View Post
Is it still possible that the Senators try to bring Ruslan Bashkirov over?
Still Possible, but they would probably have to bring the brother over also

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
My source within the team says Silfverberg will play tomorrow but it's not officially confirmed yet.
Sweet! Keep us updated! More hockey the better for our prospects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Still Possible, but they would probably have to bring the brother over also
Personally I highly doubt Bashkirov ever comes back. Murray has pretty much voided us of all our past Russians.

I still think that Weircioch will stay another year in College. He's pretty determined from what it sounds like to win a Championship as well as get his degree. I'd like him to stay anyways.

In the end, I think Weircioch will end up being better then Cowen imo...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
In the end, I think Weircioch will end up being better then Cowen imo...
It's really hard to tell who's going to come in and become a star on D. A good example is Tyler Myers - he was touted to be an NHL D, but nobody could have predicted the impact he's been able to make. He had similar numbers to Cowen in the WHL but I can guarantee that few, if any, believe Cowen will make that kind of impact.
Here one could make a point about Cowen's knee surgery being the issue, since it's widely known that it takes a year to recover and get full mobility back from this type of surgery....but time will tell.

Wiercioch definitely has more natural offensive flair, and Cowen seems to be more of a defensive minded guy, but how can one really tell how either will transfer their game to the NHL. Phillips took a few years to get it together, and he had offensive upside too....anyhow, either way the Sens have solid D prospects who will, more than likely, become solid NHLers.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Cowen with a goal for Spokane in 4-3 loss to Portland. Portland leads series 3-2.

SENSational Sens Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Sweet! Keep us updated! More hockey the better for our prospects...
Now it's official that he will play in today's game. The team coach confirmed it in a newspaper.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Chelle

Hey guys!

I see that you are talking about Silfverberg, and i thought that i could give you guys a little scout report on him as a Brynäs fan.

Assets: Has a good shot, some two-way ability and smartness. He also play his best hockey playoff times.

Flaws: Lack a mean streak and doesn't play physical at all.

Potential: I see him as a third liner that can hit 30-45 points in his prime.

I think that his biggest problem is that he doesn’t have enough offensive skills too play a in a top 6 and lack energy and grit to play in a bottom 6. He really needs to take he's physical play up 1-2 notch to crack a lineup in the NHL.

Sorry if my English isn't the best.

Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:24 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Now it's official that he will play in today's game. The team coach confirmed it in a newspaper.
sweet! Inside info on SEL games. I feel like an 'insider'!

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Hey guys!

I see that you are talking about Silfverberg, and i thought that i could give you guys a little scout report on him as a Brynäs fan.

Assets: Has a good shot, some two-way ability and smartness. He also play his best hockey playoff times.

I think that his biggest problem is that he doesn’t have enough offensive skills too play a in a top 6 and lack energy and grit to play in a bottom 6. He really needs to take he's physical play up 1-2 notch to crack a lineup in the NHL.

Thank you. Any information on the Senators prospects is always welcome. And your English is just fine and better than most of us around here!

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Jared Cowen 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Hey guys!

Hey, its great to hear from a fan of the team. And the English was great. Only I always expected Silfverberg to be a top 6 forward. Now I know you see him play a lot more than I do (I really only saw him in the World Juniors) but doesn't he play on the 4th line now and he's also a rookie. I'd give him another year to develop and then I'd love to hear from you again Chelle. Thanks.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
petelevi

Someone may have done something like this already, but if not, here's a general update on prospects who haven't yet joined the organisation (all my comments about the nature of the players are based on a mix of my personal observations and that of scouts/reportsp; feel free to disagree):

Draft Background

2005 (Muckler)
7-204. Colin Greening (CISAA -> NCAA)
2006 (Muckler)
3-68. Eric Gryba (USHL -> NCAA)
2007 (Murray/Muckler)
3-90. Louie Caporusso (OPJHL -> NCAA)
4-120. Ben Blood (USHL -> NCAA)
2008 (Murray)
2-42. Patrick Wiercioch (USHL -> NCAA)
4-109. Andre Petersson (Super Elit -> SEL)
4-119. Derek Grant (BCHL -> NCAA)
5-139. Mark Borowiecki (CJHL -> NCAA)
7-199. Emil Sandin (Super Elit -> SEL)
2009 (Murray)
1-9. Jared Cowen (WHL)
2-39. Jakob Silfverberg (Super Elit -> SEL)
2-46. Robin Lehner (Super Elit -> OHL)
4-100. Chris Wideman (NCAA)
5-130. Mike Hoffman (QMJHL)
5-146. Jeff Costello (USHL)
6-160. Corey Cowick (OHL)
7-190. Brad Peltz (USHL)
7-191. Michael Sdao (USHL -> NCAA)

European Leagues

Ottawa carries the rights to a number of Russian players in the KHL, but as they have either all come and gone or shown no interest in signing, I have excluded them from the main discussion, leaving only the prospects plying their trade in the Swedish Elite League (SEL).

Jakob Silfverberg (C/W, 6’1, shoots R; 48-8-8-16; 08-09 30-38 Super Elit; dob 1990) - a good two-way player who participated in the last WJC (6-5), he has become a fixture with Brynas in his first full professional season. Good at both ends of the ice, he’s a Chris Kelly-type of player with more offensive upside. He’s signed through the 10/11 season, but this won't impede Ottawa bringing him over if they decide to sign him.
Andre Petersson (LW, 5’9, shoots R; 37-10-5-15; 08-09 36-55 Super Elit; dob 1990) – a dynamic but smallish sniper who is coming off two good World Junior performances in a row (6-6, 6-11). He posted decent numbers with a stacked HV71 team in his first full professional season. He projects as a top-six scorer who will help the powerplay, but he needs to work on his defensive game. While he is signed through 11/12 with HV71, Ottawa can bring him over for next season if they wish.
Emil Sandin (LW, 5’9, shoots L; 51-2-10-12; 08-09 53-17; dob 1988) – a small, skilled forward (ala Ryan Shannon), Sandin was a hit-and-miss pick for the Sens and it appears as though he has stalled in his development. He’s struggled with Brynas and may not be signed (the Sens have to make that decision this year or lose his rights).

CHL

Ottawa’s prospects are sprinkled throughout the three junior leagues. Only one (Jared Cowen) is currently signed, but all of them will be finishing their junior careers at the end of the season.

Jared Cowen (D, 6’5, shoots R; 59-8-22-30; 08-09 48-21; dob 1991) – a big man with skill, Cowen is only now fully recovering from the knee injury he suffered last season. He was a spare part in this year’s WJC (6-1), and Sens management were not happy with how he was used. Finishing up his season with Spokane of the WHL, Jared is signed and will play either in Ottawa or back in the WHL next year. It’s uncertain whether Cowen’s offensive abilities will translate to the NHL, but he projects as a top-four blueliner.
Robin Lehner (G, 6’3, catches L; 47-27-13-3, 2.80, .918; 3.05, .903, Super Elit; dob 1991) – an excellent butterfly goaltender playing for the Sault in the OHL, he was the third goalie for Sweden at the WJC, but saw no action. His father Michael was the goaltending coach for Henrik Lundqvist among others, and some speculate the Sens hope to bring him over next season. Lehner is big, athletic, and technically sound, with the potential to be an NHL starter. The Sens can sign Lehner at the end of the season or he will return to Sweden to develop further.
Mike Hoffman (C/W, 5’11, shoots L; 56-46-39-85; 08-09 62-94; dob 1989) – lighting it up again for Saint John in the offensive-happy QMJHL; this is his final year of junior. Hoffman will likely be offered a contract, although his numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the style of play in the Q. He projects as a top-nine forward who can play on the powerplay.
Corey Cowick (LW, 6’2, shoots L; 27-15-6-21; 08-09 68-60; dob 1989) – coming off a pre-season injury, the energy forward may need a good playoff performance for the 67s to earn a contract with the Sens. He’s a Cody Bass-type player, with perhaps more offensive upside.

NCAA

Ottawa has increasingly gone the college route when it comes to drafting, particularly in the late rounds. Much like Europe used to be, the NCAA is a dumping ground for hit-and-miss picks, pushing off the decision to sign a player further down the line.

Patrick Wiercioch (D, 6’3, shoots L; 36-6-19-25; 08-09 36-35; dob 1990) – the slick blueliner is in his second year at Denver, his totals lower this year because of the injury he suffered that kept him off the WJC roster. He wanted to turn pro last year, but the Sens told him to wait another season. He projects as a top-four defenseman and I’d be shocked if he wasn’t signed shortly.
Louie Caporusso (C/W, 5’9, shoots L; 41-18-21-39; 08-09 41-49; dob 1989) – a talented but smallish sniper, he’s finishing his third year at Michigan University. It’s uncertain if Caporusso will leave early to turn pro, but there doesn’t seem to be much more for him to learn at the college level of hockey.
Colin Greening (C, 6’2, shoots L; 31-15-19-34; 08-09 36-31; dob 1986) – an off-the-wall pick by Muckler out of Upper Canada College back in 2005, Greening is a big, smart, power forward who has just finished his collegiate career as captain of Cornell. I would be shocked if the Sens didn’t sign him. He projects as a bottom six forward, along the lines of a bigger Jesse Winchester.
Derek Grant (C, 6’3, shoots L; 38-12-18-30; 08-09 57-63 BCHL; dob 1990) – a big power forward, Grant exploded out of the gate in his first season with Michigan State before slowing down as the season wound on. He projects as a top-nine forward, but he’s a long term prospect and will likely spend another couple of years in the NCAA.
Eric Gryba (D, 6’4, shoots R; 37-4-6-10; 08-09 43-5; dob 1988) – the big, right-shot defensive defenseman has finished his final year with Boston University, serving as an assistant captain. His offensive game has never developed, but he’s sound in his own zone. He projects as a bottom-pairing defenseman. The Sens have offered him a contract and I’d be surprised if he didn’t take it.
Chris Wideman (D, 5’9, shoots R; 39-5-13-18; 08-09 39-26; dob 1990) – a small, puck-moving blueliner, he saw his numbers drop from last season, but still lead Miami’s blueline in points. A hit-or-miss pick, Wideman could either be a version of Chris Campoli or lead powerplays in the minors or Europe. He will likely finish his college career before the Sens have to make a decision to sign him or not.
Mark Borowiecki (D, 6’1, shoots L; 35-8-11-19; 08-09 33-2; dob 1989) – a physical blueliner plucked from the CJHL, he took a step forward in his second year at Clarkson. His offensive production may not translate to the pro level, but he projects as a bottom pairing defenseman who can provide energy and solid defensive play. Like Wideman, I expect Borowiecki to finish his college career before turning pro.
Ben Blood (D, 6’3, shoots L; 39-5-8-13; 08-09 31-1; dob 1989) – a big man, Blood has improved in his second season with North Dakota. A defensive defenseman, his work behind his own blueline will determine if he makes the big show. He’ll finish his NCAA career before the Sens have to make a choice in signing him.
Michael Sdao (D, 6’4, shoots L; 30-5-4-9; 08-09 53-10 USHL; dob 1989) – a big man who can fight, Sdao looks to fit into the Matt Carkner-mould—a player who should have no trouble playing minor pro and might get a look at the NHL. He’ll likely play the full four years at Princeton.

US High School

Jeff Costello (LW, 6’0, shoots L; 49-28-19-47; 08-09 54-33; dob 1990) – the hard-working, two-way player is committed to Notre Dame where he’ll play next year. A long term prospect, it will be interesting to see how he performs at the collegiate level.
Brad Peltz (LW, 6’1, shoots L; stats incomplete; 08-09 injured; dob 1989) – he missed last season due to injury, Peltz is projected as an offensive player, but talent analysis will have to wait until he laces up the skates for Yale next year.

Other Prospects of Note

Further details follow, but in brief Ottawa retains the rights to the three players below.

Roman Wick (RW, 6’2, shoots L; 37-15-16-31 NLA; 08-09 45-41; dob 1985; drafted 5-156, 2004) – gained attention for his performance with Switzerland at the Olympics, Wick was not signed by the Sens after two average seasons in the WHL (04-06). He’s signed with Kloten through 10/11, but it’s conceivable he could come back to North America. I suspect he won’t sign unless he’s assured a roster spot, and I have my doubts that Ottawa would guarantee that since his performance at the professional level isn’t proven in North America.
Mattias Karlsson (D, 6’3, shoots L; 37-5-10-15 SEL; 08-09 73-51 AHL; dob 1985; drafted 4-135, 2003) – after an all-star season in the AHL, Karlsson returned to Timra in Sweden. The speculation was that he would not accept a two-way contract from the Sens. Injury slowed him down in Sweden this year, but he’ll star again next season assuming the Sens don’t try to lure him away (something that seems unlikely at this point, although Karlsson has shown he can perform professionally on the smaller ice surface).
Ruslan Bashkirov (LW, 5’11, shoots L; DNP KHL; 08-09 48-17 Russia2; dob 1989; 2-60, 2007) – drafted out of the Q, Bashkirov returned to Russia where his development has stalled. A smaller, skilled forward, he’s been unable to crack the lineup in the KHL and done little in the second-tier leagues. His contract is up with HK Atlantl, so it’s possible he might look for ice time across the pond—if so, he’ll be on a two-way contract and spend the year in Binghamton.

Looking forward

Greening, Gryba, Cowen, Hoffman, Cowick, and Lehner are finished in their respective leagues, so they will be signed or let go (in the case of Lehner, he could return to Sweden and they would retain his rights for another season). Cowen is already signed and I'd be very surprised if Wiercioch wasn't as well. There are choices to be made with Petersson, Caporusso, and Silfverberg, but I think they'll sign Petersson to avoid losing their rights to him (this wouldn’t guarantee his presence in North America, as the Sens could leave him to develop in Sweden for another year).

Further down the line, all three of the aforementioned should be in the organisation after next season. Below is an outline of when the Sens have to make their decisions on prospects based on their graduation dates (either from the NCAA or via two-year timeframe teams have to sign players; only Sweden and Finland have current transfer agreements with the NHL, so those in other European leagues can be kept indefinitely):

2010: Cowen, Greening, Gryba, Hoffman, Cowick, Petersson, Sandin
2011: Caporusso, Silfverberg, Lehner
2012: Wiercioch, Blood, Borowiecki, Wideman
2013: Grant, Sdao
2014: Costello, Peltz

Last edited by petelevi: 03-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
HSF

Quote:
Jared Cowen (D, 6’5, shoots R; 59-8-22-30; 08-09 48-21; dob 1991) – a big man with skill, Cowen is only now fully recovering from the knee injury he suffered last season. He was a spare part in this year’s WJC (6-1), and Sens management were not happy with how he was used. Finishing up his final season with Spokane of the WHL, Jared is signed and will likely play in Bingo next year. It’s uncertain whether Cowen’s offensive abilities will translate to the NHL, but he projects as a top-four blueliner.

can cowen play in the AHL next season?

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
Mike Hoffman (C/W, 5’11, shoots L; 56-46-39-85; 08-09 62-94; dob 1989) – lighting it up again for Saint John in the offensive-happy QMJHL; this is his final year of junior. Hoffman will likely be offered a contract, although his numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the style of play in the Q. He projects as a top-nine forward who can play on the powerplay.
I think this is a bit misleading. No player in the Q hit 100 points this year, but two did in the OHL and three in the WHL. Couturier and Deschamps would have been tied for 7th in WHL scoring (with Craig Cunningham...).

It's more that Hoffman's still in junior and we know he can score in junior, which you're right to say has to be taken with a grain of salt. I just don't think we'd be any further ahead if his name was Luke Pither, Zach Torquato or Matt Calvert.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I think this is a bit misleading. No player in the Q hit 100 points this year, but two did in the OHL and three in the WHL. Couturier and Deschamps would have been tied for 7th in WHL scoring (with Craig Cunningham...).

It's more that Hoffman's still in junior and we know he can score in junior, which you're right to say has to be taken with a grain of salt. I just don't think we'd be any further ahead if his name was Luke Pither, Zach Torquato or Matt Calvert.
I'll grant you it's a matter of opinion--top scorers from all leagues have flopped as pros--but I think it is fair to say the perception is that the Q puts more emphasis on offence than the other CHL leagues.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
can cowen play in the AHL next season?
Yes. All entry-level contracts are defacto two-way, so he can play either in the NHL or AHL without having to pass through waivers.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
HSF

Quote:
Yes. All entry-level contracts are defacto two-way, so he can play either in the NHL or AHL without having to pass through waivers.
i thought he was too young to play

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Cowen is not eligible for the AHL next year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
I'll grant you it's a matter of opinion--top scorers from all leagues have flopped as pros--but I think it is fair to say the perception is that the Q puts more emphasis on offence than the other CHL leagues.
You realize that he plays in the more defensively-minded division (having to play Moncton who only gave up about 160 goals 8 times a year)? It's hard to paint a league with one brush when you have one division where Drummondville and Victoriaville increase league scoring by blatantly running up scores, and you have one (the East or Atlantic division) where every game seems to be close and where 2 of the top defensive teams play. Saint John wasn't first in offense because we ran up scores. In fact, if it got to 4-0, Hoffman usually got dropped to 4th line minutes (except PKs) so as not to embarass opponents.

Also, Hoffman took on another role. Last year, he was Riendeau's trigger man (ala a Heatley to a Spezza). This year, he's had to be the man to create the offense and has excelled doing that all year to the point where he is nominated and has a decent chance at winning league MVP honors.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Cowen cannot play in the AHL next year. He will be 19. It's the NHL or WHL for him.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Why would Lehner go back to Sweden?

Quote:
"Right before the NHL draft, I was going to quit hockey," said Lehner, a native of Gothenburg, Sweden, taken ninth overall in the 2009 Canadian Hockey League Import Draft. "I'd lost my passion for the game. But coming here changed my life more than just a little. This organization, the players and the coaches, have changed me and my point of view on life."
Doesn't sound like a guy eager to go back and play for the Frolunda J20 squad.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

I'd like to see Lehner play with men.

Old
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Why would Lehner go back to Sweden?

Doesn't sound like a guy eager to go back and play for the Frolunda J20 squad.
Sorry, I think I'm a little behind in this thread but where does anyone suggest this? I think some were saying Silfverberg might play U20 for the remainder of the season.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

BTW, Cowick has 2 goals so far today in game 5. He's gotten both by going to the net and grinding them out. That's how he has to play if he wants to have a pro career.

Old
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Sorry, I think I'm a little behind in this thread but where does anyone suggest this? I think some were saying Silfverberg might play U20 for the remainder of the season.
It's in petelevi's post. I meant to quote it.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

so according to petelevi, we'll see Petersson next season, that great. Or did he mean we'll see him get signed?

Old
03-28-2010, 01:30 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
It's in petelevi's post. I meant to quote it.
Ah, I see it now. I'd like an explanation on that as well. I've heard nothing of this. You'd think he'd head home for a month or so and take a break/visit family then head to Ottawa to train and work with our goalie consultants..