HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

3-25-10 - Coyotes @ Preds - The Underdog Edition

Old
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Which doesn't really make sense, but...if that's the way the NHL wants to do it...

Just make every game worth three points and use the 3-2-1-0 system already!!!
No credit for the goal in the stats so no GWG. Shootouts have game deciding goals which are only tracked in the shootout stats.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Good game guys. Preds were the much better team tonight and earned their two points. I'm not happy with how the Yotes played, but I was hoping for a three point game so it's not all bad.
Screw Balsillie and Moyes ... as long as they aren't playing my Preds, I love to see the Yotes do well. For my prediction of how the Preds make the playoffs to be fulfilled, we needed a spit with the Yotes after the Olympic break. Of the 12 games I predicted we should win, we've taken 9 with 3 to go.

Quote:
10-11 wins from here on out should get us in to the post season. An updated list based on what I saw as the good chances for us to get 12 wins after the break.

6 should win games
Blues
Blues
Blues
Jackets
Oil
Wild.

Split with the Yotes.

One of three each against the Kings (doubled up on that one)
One of three each against the Wings

Stars Oops ..... missed that one ... balanced out by the Flyers or extra win against the Kings.
Ducks
Thrashers

Old
03-25-2010, 10:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm too sober for this
At no point in this game was I too sober for this

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
At no point in this game was I too sober for this

Multiple beers, a bottle + of wine ... and still too sober. too sober does not mean not drunk off my butt.

And I have an exam in controlling/planning close air support in the morning.

Old
03-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Wasn't a 60 minute effort and we were probably lucky to walk away with two points after giving up two goals in the final 6 minutes...but...I'll take the two points!

All in all, just another GREAT night to be a Predators fan!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Ugly wins count just as much as pretty ones. Gained ground on 9th. A good night overall.

Old
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Roger Explosion

I'm glad Phoenix got a point out of this but hopefully we don't face them in the playoffs.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:50 PM
glenngineer

Phoenix is a good gritty team that never gives up. Reminds me of us in a lot of ways. At 7:21 of the third I had a bad feeling. I remember watching Phoenix come back against Detroit a while back from 2 goals down with less than 5 to play and said, I have a funny feeling they're gonna come back. Sure enough, it happened.

I think what Grimson said on the post game was right on. He thought we played a solid game, much better than Tuesday against Dallas. He thought we outplayed them for first two periods but good teams will push back at some point and Phoenix did just that. You're not going to walk over any team in this league, let alone one of the better ones. They fought back and tied it up and kudos to them but at the same time, we didn't fold after they tied it up and got after them in OT and won it in the shootout. I didn't like giving up a point to them tonight but at the same time, glad we got the two points and kept moving ahead in the standings.

The thing I like about this team is it's ability to come back after a poor game and play a solid if unspectacular game. We did it after the San Jose game, we did it after the game against Dallas. Keeping losing streaks or bad play to a minimum of games is a sign of a good team but a team with a short memory. You have to learn from your mistakes and grow from them and I think we do that pretty well as a team. Keep moving forward is all I can think about and this group has embodied that for a good portion of the year.

Trotz made a great point on the post game as well. He mentioned not scoreboard watching but taking care of our own business. Win our games and it doesn't matter so much what others do around us because if we win, we're in. It's the right attitude to take because our destiny is in our own hands, not someone else's so go out, play the games hard and get the points we need to make it in. Once we're in, then we can worry about what's next on our plate.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:37 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

Epic two points.... So needed.

Thing I like: The Ilsanders Helping us out!

Thing I HATE: Is it only me that absolutely HATES these ignorant "During the Game" interviews with either Ellis or Horichuck when play is going on??? What the Hell! We were actually on a powerplay tonight and all of a sudden my screen shrunk and I'm hearing Dan yap... I WANT TO WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!! I hate that.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think what Grimson said on the post game was right on. He thought we played a solid game, much better than Tuesday against Dallas. He thought we outplayed them for first two periods but good teams will push back at some point and Phoenix did just that. You're not going to walk over any team in this league, let alone one of the better ones. They fought back and tied it up and kudos to them but at the same time, we didn't fold after they tied it up and got after them in OT and won it in the shootout. I didn't like giving up a point to them tonight but at the same time, glad we got the two points and kept moving ahead in the standings.
My problem is the Preds have time and time again look like to me lack that killer instinct to go into shutdown mode when they need too. That was my biggest problem with letting PHX back in. Up 3-1 with 8 minutes left in the third you still are trying cutsie little passes and weak plays. At that point you should be making safe plays, chipping the puck in deep, keeping 1 forward high, shooting when in doubt and crashing the net. Not doing curls after you enter the zone and forcing passes. That's the problem I had with the team tonight.

Also, we played waayyyyyyy to fancy in their zone tonight. I'm sick and tired of seeing us trying to force cute little passes. O'Reilly is the worst. We saw he has a good shot. Use it every once in awhile.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:07 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Huge 2 points!!

Leggy!!

Much better effort than on Tuesday.

Really nice pass by O'Reilly to Hamhuis for Hammer's goal.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:52 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Multiple beers, a bottle + of wine ... and still too sober. too sober does not mean not drunk off my butt.

And I have an exam in controlling/planning close air support in the morning.
Knowing you through your posts over the past four years I had a feeling "too sober" meant "not quite drunk enough"

Good luck on that exam. Sounds like it could be important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngloriusBuzzards View Post
Thing I HATE: Is it only me that absolutely HATES these ignorant "During the Game" interviews with either Ellis or Horichuck when play is going on??? What the Hell! We were actually on a powerplay tonight and all of a sudden my screen shrunk and I'm hearing Dan yap... I WANT TO WATCH THE DAMN GAME!!!! I hate that.
Agreed. I kind of wish they'd just take the scoreboard down, put the interviewee in a box in the top left corner, and stop shrinking the damn game.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Jarnberg

You had to feel like the Coyotes were going to come back; they've been doing that all season. Luckily their trend of winning in the shoot out didn't continue

The Predators have to do a better job putting a game away like that.. aka making that game 4-1. The two terrible power plays gave Phoenix momentum. The Preds did well to cover the game up after giving up the tying goal. And at no point did the Predators seem like they were really getting dominated. But still, you gotta put that game away, but then again, Phoenix is a good team and has been doing that all year.

Also, good to see the team look like they care, as that didn't happen the last 3 games.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
My problem is the Preds have time and time again look like to me lack that killer instinct to go into shutdown mode when they need too. That was my biggest problem with letting PHX back in. Up 3-1 with 8 minutes left in the third you still are trying cutsie little passes and weak plays. At that point you should be making safe plays, chipping the puck in deep, keeping 1 forward high, shooting when in doubt and crashing the net. Not doing curls after you enter the zone and forcing passes. That's the problem I had with the team tonight.

Also, we played waayyyyyyy to fancy in their zone tonight. I'm sick and tired of seeing us trying to force cute little passes. O'Reilly is the worst. We saw he has a good shot. Use it every once in awhile.
I agree. This has been an issue for quite some time. I think we can't or don't do this because we lack the dynamic offense to put teams away. Not an excuse but just an observation as to why this has always been a problem.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
RollingPredFan

I don't know guys, yeah we have had a couple of bad 3rd periods in a row, but we had a good one against the Blues. Phx has done this to alot of teams anyways, I have watched them alot this year. We were fortunate to get the 2, Vrbata had Rinne beat but hit the crossbar.

I don't know how many good shots we passed up last night. We may have scored alot more if we actually shot lol

Magic number to make the playoffs is 9 now!

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Milly79

Quote:
I'm all for them doing away with it. At least with the coaches/players actually playing.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:44 AM
token grinder

i wouldn't be worried about them in the playoffs more than any other team, maybe less. 12 wins are shootout wins if I heard right? that is a problem in the extra time in the playoffs.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:46 AM
WalkmanX

We played some good hockey in the first 54 minutes and then sucked at the end letting in 2 goals witch really is unacceptable...the SO was nice and we got lucky aswell as one of the Coyotes hit the post->crossbar and stayed out

but much needed 2 points and we can start getting ready for a really hard game against Detroit on Saturday...

Something else i noticed this game is that O'Reilly doesn't really fit well with Erat and Wilson and I'm really hoping for Arnott to come back soon. Also don't know why we have O'Reilly on the PP because we have some other good players we could use...

All in all a great day

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkmanX View Post
We played some good hockey in the first 54 minutes and then sucked at the end letting in 2 goals witch really is unacceptable...the SO was nice and we got lucky aswell as one of the Coyotes hit the post->crossbar and stayed out

but much needed 2 points and we can start getting ready for a really hard game against Detroit on Saturday...

Something else i noticed this game is that O'Reilly doesn't really fit well with Erat and Wilson and I'm really hoping for Arnott to come back soon. Also don't know why we have O'Reilly on the PP because we have some other good players we could use...

All in all a great day
I think Trotz is trying to give O'Reilly the best chance he can to succeed while Arnott is out.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok.....shocking thought, Trotz is 7 wins away from passing Jack Adams for all time wins as a head coach......

Yes, THAT Jack Adams.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
I like the interview (especially when it's with Dan or Pekka) but agree that it's really annoying when they shrink the screen. A couple times they have put the other box in the bottom left hand corner where it won't be blocking the game and then not shrunk the screen. I much prefer that.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Why cant they just interview him and not show him?

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Why cant they just interview him and not show him?
That would work too. Show him at the beginning full screen like they always do and then switch to the game full screen. They did that the other night and had "voice of Dan Ellis" on the bottom of the screen.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Epic two points.... So needed.

Thing I like: The Ilsanders Helping us out!

I thought I was the only one. I can't even watch the game when they do that. It's distracting.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
I'm all for them doing away with it. At least with the coaches/players actually playing.
ccas

How do they think that hearing the same boring conversation with Horichuck or Ellis is somehow more entertaining than the game?

This has ticked me off on previous occasions, especially when they Shrink the Screen! But I was downright pissed when we couldn't even hear the game being called on OUR own Powerplay!!! I had to hear Ellis instead - during the entire 2 minutes! It was ridiculous.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote