HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Interesting quotes post mortem Kings v. Stars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2010, 04:28 AM
  #1
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Interesting quotes post mortem Kings v. Stars

I really thought some of this deserved it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Brown
(on the game…)
BROWN: “We didn’t have any enthusiasm, any energy. It’s disappointing, coming off a day off and the situation we’re in. Quite frankly, it’s just a lot of (b.s.). I think we need to take a look in the mirror, as individuals and as a team. We can’t be expecting to play like this in a couple weeks. Obviously our goal is to make the playoffs, but if we play like this, we’re going to be four and out. We need to take a look in the mirror as a team.”

(on the need for urgency late in the season…)
BROWN: “We need urgency from every aspect of this team. Coaches, players, trainers, we all need to get that mindset. Ultimately, it lies on the players, and that’s the most important thing, but as a group, a team, here, everyone involved, we all need to have the mentality, that urgency, and we haven’t had it. Again, that’s unacceptable.”

(on whether any players-only meetings are on the horizon…)
BROWN: “We’ll see. There’s only so much you can talk about. Eventually you have to eat your words and go out there and do it. We’ve had talks. We’ve had talks lately and, again, that’s (b.s.).
As hard of a time as I've given Brown this season, bravo, Captain. He's 100% right, in my opinion.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Murray
(on Brown’s comments about the need for more urgency from everyone…)
MURRAY: “I’ll have to have a talk with him and ask him how the pecking order goes here. I don’t know how to answer that. I don’t have an answer. You’ll have to go talk to him some more. Did he explain any more to you? I don’t know what he means by that.”

(on the apparent lack of desperation…)
MURRAY: “You guys are way off here. You’re way off. You’re asking the wrong questions. The first period, we come out, we’re fine. We’re leading 1-0, we’re outshooting them 12-7, everything is fine. The start of the game, the right attitude, the right effort, the right intensity, everything is good. It’s the penalty killing. Let’s not over-evaluate here. Our special teams were no good here tonight. Penalty killing was no good. The power play was no good. We don’t score on the opportunities. That’s it. Don’t over-evaluate, don’t over-analyze here, because you’re going to go the wrong way. The first period, the start of the game, is fine. We’re in good shape. We’re leading the game. Everything is under control. Five-on-three power play, 4-on-3 power play, puck goes off our defenseman’s skate, everything is OK.”


(on the number of penalties by the Kings…)
MURRAY: “They’re tripping. They’re interference on a faceoff. They’re just penalties. They’re just being called. Everything is being called, around the league right now, to the letter. They’re very close, very tight, especially when you have two teams that are in our situation right now. Dallas is 11 points out. We’re in there right now, and everything that you do is going to be called very, very close. That’s not unusual. … But you guys are going way the wrong way with this game here tonight. Everything was good. We started fine. Everything is fine.”

(on the fact that his captain seems to disagree…)
MURRAY: “Well, it’s pretty emotional out there, you know? I go in and I say some things after the game is over. It’s very emotional. Players are going to respond to that, and I hope that they do. I was not happy with the way the game ended, but I’m not going to go where you guys are going with it, with `Let’s blow it up and start all over again.’ That’s just not the way it is.”

(on whether it will be good to take tomorrow off…)
MURRAY: “No, I would love to practice tomorrow. I would love to, but what do you do? You’re going get in at 5:30 at night. You’ve got to go in and play another game.”

I'm not going to even dare dig my fingers into these quotes. What do you guys think?

PS. None of the "omgoose TMZ" crap. That's not what this thread is about. I found it more interesting that Murray sounded more as if he's trying to convince himself everything is okay when he sounds pissed the hell off. The Brown comment and Murray's reaction is secondary, although still interesting.

Thoughts?

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:39 AM
  #2
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
What I think is that when your captain gets split open like Lohan, someone should do something about it.

I still think we are rolling a team with very small berries. Hey Jack Johnson...you aren't good enough to keep sitting back while everyone else fights your battles for you. He has to be a laughing stock around the league as everyone knows he is a *****.

Other teams have stepped up their play and the Kings have not. They haven't had to do so in 7 years and it is showing.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:41 AM
  #3
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
What I think is that when your captain gets split open like Lohan, someone should do something about it.

I still think we are rolling a team with very small berries. Hey Jack Johnson...you aren't good enough to keep sitting back while everyone else fights your battles for you. He has to be a laughing stock around the league as everyone knows he is a *****.

Other teams have stepped up their play and the Kings have not. They haven't had to do so in 7 years and it is showing.
It was disappointing watching SOD fighting Jack's battles in the game.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:44 AM
  #4
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
I like the emotion in Brown's game and in the quotes. He's learning that it's his team, and he's got to lead it. Your captain and your coach are going to disagree from time to time, that's natural, and when you consider the age difference and experience difference between the two these responses should not be a surprise. He knows how big these games are, he knows that his first NHL playoff opportunity is approaching and he's frustrated that the team is struggling now, of all times. Lets just hope this emotion translates into solid play on the ice.

As for Murray's comments, it's a loss and a frustrating one at that. But it wasn't like we were playing terrible hockey. We're a little slow, a little snake-bit, and little unlucky. We've not been playing well as of late but that's the 82 game season for you, a month ago we won 9 straight, now we're just evening it out a little. There's no reason for Murray to panic and start rambling off about what we're doing wrong.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
  #5
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow
 
WhatTheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the Black Hole
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
I got the same impression as well regarding TM. He definitely sounded as if he was trying to convince himself that 'everything is fine'.

If by that he means:

- Create the largest amount of distance between the forwards and defensemen in the neutral zone

- Dump the puck in and fail to retrieve it

- Dump the puck in, retrieve, cycle it endlessly in an effort to get it to the point men who had 2 Dallas forwards on them constantly so that any shot taken either went wide or got blocked out to center ince

Then yes, I'd have to agree with him. Everything is as it normally is.

But honestly, I think he simply meant that 5 on 5 the Kings did well. It was specialty teams that lost the game (and Scuderi's skate) and LA needs to learn how the game is called during this time of year. They lost not from lack of effort, being prepared, etc...

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
  #6
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I like the emotion in Brown's game and in the quotes. He's learning that it's his team, and he's got to lead it. Your captain and your coach are going to disagree from time to time, that's natural, and when you consider the age difference and experience difference between the two these responses should not be a surprise. He knows how big these games are, he knows that his first NHL playoff opportunity is approaching and he's frustrated that the team is struggling now, of all times. Lets just hope this emotion translates into solid play on the ice.

As for Murray's comments, it's a loss and a frustrating one at that. But it wasn't like we were playing terrible hockey. We're a little slow, a little snake-bit, and little unlucky. We've not been playing well as of late but that's the 82 game season for you, a month ago we won 9 straight, now we're just evening it out a little. There's no reason for Murray to panic and start rambling off about what we're doing wrong.
I agree 100% with that last sentence. It's obvious by the Brown and Scuderi quotes after the game that the players know they didn't play with enough desperation to win that hockey game. There is no reason for the coach to pile on after the game last night.

Murray is right. They caught a couple of bad breaks, and then Brown is right because after that happened they didn't turn their game up a notch and impose their will on an inferior team.

I think this is a good sign. It bodes well for the future. The right guy (the captain) is stepping up and owning what happened last night. The players are accountable to each other and not the coach, which is exactly what you want on a team. Players will play for a coach, but it is much better if they are playing for each other. Hopefully, that is the culture that is getting established in the Kings' room this season, because it sure didn't exist when guys like Blake were still around and it takes time for that kind of culture to develop and take root.

Murray is trying to be a calming influence. He knows there are ups and downs. He didn't get too high when they were on the 8 game winning streak and he isn't going to throw a tantrum now. Exactly what a young team needs.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
  #7
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Over the past few games, I really like the attitude Brown's been lugging around on the ice, regardless of his actual play, which has been up and down. I'm hoping more guys buy into it in these last 2 weeks.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
  #8
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Somehow the whole thing reminds me of a comunist country.........

One of the responsible guys is telling the public,something is going wrong
and we have to change something
and the leader response "no no.... don't worry, everything is fine"

Murray is mostly dodging away the serious questions with something like...
"i don't know what you mean by that"

Question is what's the intenseion, to cover the team or single players or cover himself.
I mean there is not a lot choices for him to answer.
He can't say..... you know.. the captain is right, we are doing wrong and
no one here is able to fix that

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
  #9
Thrice
Coyote Killer
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
It was disappointing watching SOD fighting Jack's battles in the game.
Yes, teammates standing up for each is so terrible.

O'Donnell and Greene have stepped into a scrum for all the young players at one time or another.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
  #10
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Yes, teammates standing up for each is so terrible.

O'Donnell and Greene have stepped into a scrum for all the young players at one time or another.
And Johnson has stood back and watched those guys do it for him unless he is paired up against Zidlicky or little Sam Gagner.

He is supposed to be a physical force but he is deathly afraid of getting into a fight. Why does he play so well in the Olympics, finishing every check and hitting Perry after the horn sounds? It's because he knows he won't have to answer for his actions, not because he cares more about Michigan or USA Hockey.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
  #11
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
And Johnson has stood back and watched those guys do it for him unless he is paired up against Zidlicky or little Sam Gagner.

He is supposed to be a physical force but he is deathly afraid of getting into a fight. Why does he play so well in the Olympics, finishing every check and hitting Perry after the horn sounds? It's because he knows he won't have to answer for his actions, not because he cares more about Michigan or USA Hockey.
Oh god, here we go again. So who do you want for JJ?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
  #12
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,877
vCash: 500
This upcoming game is going to dictate where this Kings team stands. They have to respond and show a pulse: play with a sense of urgency and up the intensity. All playoff contending teams have upped the ante, save for the Kings. Should they succomb to the pressure of playing playoff hockey, then this team simply wasn't prepared or cut out to play that type of hockey game. It is frustrating for the fans, players, management and coaching staff.

Who doesn't want to win? I find that this team has hit a wall. Not sure if it is conditioning or if they are playing hurt, but since February, this team has not been very sharp. This is when true leaders step up and steer the ship. The players are ultimatly the ones who have to be held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof) on the ice.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
  #13
ukyo
Registered User
 
ukyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Oh god, here we go again. So who do you want for JJ?
I want JMFJ. Or at least J-@ssh0le-J.

Add to Johnson's to-do list for the offseason: figure out how to scare NHL players like you used to scare NCAA players.

ukyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
  #14
ukyo
Registered User
 
ukyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This upcoming game is going to dictate where this Kings team stands. They have to respond and show a pulse: play with a sense of urgency and up the intensity. All playoff contending teams have upped the ante, save for the Kings. Should they succomb to the pressure of playing playoff hockey, then this team simply wasn't prepared or cut out to play that type of hockey game. It is frustrating for the fans, players, management and coaching staff.
Actually, I think the Nashville game will be more telling. We won't get any more information about the state of the team from beating Minnesota tomorrow. If we lose, on the other hand...

ukyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:26 PM
  #15
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
It was disappointing watching SOD fighting Jack's battles in the game.
I don't get it man. Jack isn't like that for anyone but the Kings. He wasn't like that when he first came up until DL and Crawford said that it's not his place to enforce. He wasn't like that at the olympics. He's a lunatic in the summer leagues that he plays with Sid and crew. He looks like such a puss out there. We know he's not. There is countless stories of him fighting growing up. Is he just not happy as a King? Has he been told not to?

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes. Jack just isn't fitting. The team isn't using him properly and Jack seems like he isn't happy.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
  #16
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
I want JMFJ. Or at least J-@ssh0le-J.

Add to Johnson's to-do list for the offseason: figure out how to scare NHL players like you used to scare NCAA players.
He could try this. its pretty scary


DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:39 PM
  #17
Skebo
Registered User
 
Skebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pissin' in the Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
BROWN: “We need urgency from every aspect of this team. Coaches, players, trainers, we all need to get that mindset.

MURRAY: “I’ll have to have a talk with him and ask him how the pecking order goes here.
To me, it seems that Murray is just a little put out by Brown's placing of coaches before players in his statement. Is Brown calling out the coaches or TM specifically for his general calm demeanor? Everybody has been talking about lack of intensity for the better part of the season. Perhaps the Kings players are drawing their lack of intensity from TM's calmness?

TM's calmness can be a double edged sword. On one side if TM doesn't get flustered when calls start going the wrong way or when bounces go the wrong, then perhaps the players keep their composure as well. On the other side, if TM is almost always calm and somewhat relaxed (the anti-Crawford), then perhaps the players are not coming out with the fire and intensity they need.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
  #18
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
To me, it seems that Murray is just a little put out by Brown's placing of coaches before players in his statement. Is Brown calling out the coaches or TM specifically for his general calm demeanor? Everybody has been talking about lack of intensity for the better part of the season. Perhaps the Kings players are drawing their lack of intensity from TM's calmness?

TM's calmness can be a double edged sword. On one side if TM doesn't get flustered when calls start going the wrong way or when bounces go the wrong, then perhaps the players keep their composure as well. On the other side, if TM is almost always calm and somewhat relaxed (the anti-Crawford), then perhaps the players are not coming out with the fire and intensity they need.
I hope TM gets the clarification from Brown because I'm sure what Brown was trying to communicate was that everyone involved in the team needs that passion, not just the players. There has to be an overall atmosphere of urgency from the team.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
  #19
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I don't get it man. Jack isn't like that for anyone but the Kings. He wasn't like that when he first came up until DL and Crawford said that it's not his place to enforce. He wasn't like that at the olympics. He's a lunatic in the summer leagues that he plays with Sid and crew. He looks like such a puss out there. We know he's not. There is countless stories of him fighting growing up. Is he just not happy as a King? Has he been told not to?

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes. Jack just isn't fitting. The team isn't using him properly and Jack seems like he isn't happy.
He's a classic school bully who likes to pick on smaller guys and doesn't like to get hit back. He thought he would come up here and dominate guys but he fought Carcillo and Doan and was thoroughly handled. Hell, Carcillo even spit out his own mouth piece in an out-right taunt during the fight because he knew Johnson had no answer. He stepped in later that game to fight Doan who popped him in the face pretty good a couple of times. He had a nice mouse growing under his eye immediately as he skated to the bench. Ever since that game, he hasn't done jack**** out there in the physical department except a few hits in which he didn't answer the bell for and a big fight against Sam Gagner. I give him slight credit for fighting Penner but only because he actually fought someone bigger than him because Penner is a ***** too.

Yes, he's a monster in summer leagues and international tournaments and was a force in the NCAA. The thing they all have in common is that fighting is not tolerated. The guy is afraid of getting punched...that's been my opinion for two years now and I continue to see nothing to change my mind. You know, the team could have used a pick-me-up last night and he's going to let Steve Ott push him around? Johnson is an embarassment at times with his ****-eating grin and won't-back-it-up attitude.

Kingsholygrail...I don't believe I said anywhere in my post that I wanted to trade him. I simply stated that he plays like a ***** which is pretty hard to argue against. If I did want to trade him, this would only be a part of the reason. The main reason will be if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass soon and figure out how to make a play without thinking about it for 10 seconds first.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
  #20
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,096
vCash: 3733
What in the hell did TM mean by this?

Everything is being called, around the league right now, to the letter. They’re very close, very tight, especially when you have two teams that are in our situation right now. Dallas is 11 points out.We’re in there right now, and everything that you do is going to be called very, very close.

I really wish TM would just keep his mouth shut. The guy just spews ignorance sometimes.

I still haven't forgot about how TM was trying to justify to Hammonds the reasoning for Purcell being back in the lineup. I don't have the exact quote but TM basically said because we needed some help on the PP. That MAYYYYYY have made some sense if only Purcell got the chance to play on the PP. Not a single second on the PP.

TM, please put a muzzle on your upper body ailment.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:55 PM
  #21
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
He's a classic school bully who likes to pick on smaller guys and doesn't like to get hit back. He thought he would come up here and dominate guys but he fought Carcillo and Doan and was thoroughly handled. Hell, Carcillo even spit out his own mouth piece in an out-right taunt during the fight because he knew Johnson had no answer. He stepped in later that game to fight Doan who popped him in the face pretty good a couple of times. He had a nice mouse growing under his eye immediately as he skated to the bench. Ever since that game, he hasn't done jack**** out there in the physical department except a few hits in which he didn't answer the bell for and a big fight against Sam Gagner. I give him slight credit for fighting Penner but only because he actually fought someone bigger than him because Penner is a ***** too.

Yes, he's a monster in summer leagues and international tournaments and was a force in the NCAA. The thing they all have in common is that fighting is not tolerated. The guy is afraid of getting punched...that's been my opinion for two years now and I continue to see nothing to change my mind. You know, the team could have used a pick-me-up last night and he's going to let Steve Ott push him around? Johnson is an embarassment at times with his ****-eating grin and won't-back-it-up attitude.

Kingsholygrail...I don't believe I said anywhere in my post that I wanted to trade him. I simply stated that he plays like a ***** which is pretty hard to argue against. If I did want to trade him, this would only be a part of the reason. The main reason will be if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass soon and figure out how to make a play without thinking about it for 10 seconds first.
I wouldn't go that far. All of his NHL fights have never been cherry picked. He went againt 3 of the toughest guys in the NHL and Gagner had it coming. Gagner had cross check Jack in the throat earlier and second chicken **** move by him got himself ****ed over.

I don't really buy the fact that he is a puss either. The fact that Jack went back at Doan after fighting Carcillo dispells that. Also, a year ago in a trade rumor forum there was a thread about wanting to combine Jack with Crosby there was a quote from Crosby about Jack being his muscle in their league. A poster in there posted an article that chronicalized an even where somebody checked Crosby in the boards and Jack jumped him and beat him up. Later in that same game they went at it again and Jack took his opponents helmet off the ice and threw it at him after they had been broken up.

I think it's a system thing. If you notice the only dmen that fight are Greene and SoD and if they are not playing tough they have no value to their team. Murray even mentioned last year that O'Donell needs to choose his battles better. It's either that or something deeper. Jack just isn't the same guy when playing in this system. Either way, I think he needs to either sack up for his mates or be allowed to do so.

Nobody likes getting punched, but Jack is tough SOB. I don't think anyone in their right minds would call Jack gutless.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:15 AM
  #22
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I wouldn't go that far. All of his NHL fights have never been cherry picked. He went againt 3 of the toughest guys in the NHL and Gagner had it coming. Gagner had cross check Jack in the throat earlier and second chicken **** move by him got himself ****ed over.

I don't really buy the fact that he is a puss either. The fact that Jack went back at Doan after fighting Carcillo dispells that. Also, a year ago in a trade rumor forum there was a thread about wanting to combine Jack with Crosby there was a quote from Crosby about Jack being his muscle in their league. A poster in there posted an article that chronicalized an even where somebody checked Crosby in the boards and Jack jumped him and beat him up. Later in that same game they went at it again and Jack took his opponents helmet off the ice and threw it at him after they had been broken up.

I think it's a system thing. If you notice the only dmen that fight are Greene and SoD and if they are not playing tough they have no value to their team. Murray even mentioned last year that O'Donell needs to choose his battles better. It's either that or something deeper. Jack just isn't the same guy when playing in this system. Either way, I think he needs to either sack up for his mates or be allowed to do so.

Nobody likes getting punched, but Jack is tough SOB. I don't think anyone in their right minds would call Jack gutless.
Who are these "3 toughest guys in the NHL" that you are talking about? I don't lob the ***** allegation at him based upon fighting Carcillo and Doan; however, it was getting handled in these two fights that has led him to shy away from the fisticuffs. I have his fight card as follows:

Carcillo
Doan
Gagner
Penner
Zidlicky (no majors handed out but JJ had the gloves off in a second due to Z being a midget)
Joslin in pre-season

You may swallow this explanation a little better. We all know about Blake jumping in against Lappy with the infamous "LEAVE JACK ALONE" move after the Smyth hit. So say the Kings didn't want him fighting during that rookie year. Now he's like me in middle and high school: I started not doing my homework yet I still passed all my classes. I got used to not having to do homework yet still getting praised/moved along so it followed me all the way to college. Why do something I don't like if it isn't going to change the outcome?

Jack plays in a league today that allows you to hit, smile a stupid grin and never answer for your actions. He doesn't have to fight so he doesn't because, in all fairness, he is nothing close to JMFJ. He was always bigger and stronger than his competition but he isn't anymore.

Also, Greene is an NCAA player and is awful at fighting, yet he does it when needed. That's a big reason why one guy wears an "A" and the other is constantly questioned about his desire.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
  #23
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
You know no name, you mention that Crosby thing and I can't help but get the slightest sense that all of this with Jack not fighting here but fighting there, playing very different here than at the Olympics or International play and Summer leagues, and think a lot of it has to do with Jack's level of passion for these different leagues and styles/levels of play. Of course he would jump all over someone getting on Crosby's case, he loves Sid. Of course he steps up his **** for international play, he loves his country.

Does he love his Kings?

I'm not really accusing Jack of not caring about the Kings' and thus not giving it his all (either mentally or physically, consciously or unconsciously), but I have definitely been wondering about it and I can't help but feel like I see more evidence to prove that than to deny it.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
  #24
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Point^^^^

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.