HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Microsoft Game Room

Old
03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Zodiac

vCash: 500
Microsoft Game Room

did anyone try this out yet?

i saw it was available for a free download yesterday and decided to give it a go. i thought it could be a cool idea, if done right, but so far its not looking good.

they have 2 game packs that are available as 'free' downloads as well, and seeing this, i thought 'hey, could microsoft actually be giving away a few cheap games to get people started?' ...not a chance ...who's kidding who? this is microsoft we're talking about here. the free game packs allow you to have about a dozen Atari, Intellivision, etc games in your arcade (and wow do they suck) ...but you can only demo each game and must pay 240 ms points per game if you want anything more.

there's a couple games available that aren't too too bad ...like Asteroids and Tempest ...but that's about the extent of it right now.

this could be a decent application if you could buy games that aren't so old they make you cringe ...like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc, etc. something a little more up to date and exciting than Yar's Revenge, Adventure, etc.

here's a couple of small articles that sum it up nicely ...

http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/b...oom-sucks.html

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177743

sounds like a rip off to me ...but Microsoft are real pros at doing so.

Playstation's Home is nothing to write home about either ...but at least it's free for the most part. If that was Microsoft, you can bet they'd be making you pay to play the free bowling and pool games, etc.

not impressed.

nickel-and-diming at its best.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

It is pretty terrible. Me and and a friend said screw it and we bought combat at 240 points because well back in the day it was fun. We bought it and couldn't figure out how to play against each other. what a waste.

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Defgarden

They used to have the Microsoft Game Zone back in the day where you could play all kinds of free games.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

If I've understood correctly, it's the makers of the original arcade games that demand/require the extra fee. I had a quick look at it and it seemed rather uninspiring. Then again, I haven't been thrilled about some of the old games that have been released on XBLA.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote