HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next couple of years

Old
03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Predsrule

vCash: 500
Next couple of years

Here is my take on the next couple of years
Cap hit isnt really key for us
Actual Payroll is..

So 2010/11
40,496,000 next year is what we have spent ..
left to get?
RFA=
Patric Hornqvist
Dustin Boyd
Denis Grebeshkov
Cody Franson
Mark Dekanich (back up net year?)

UFA=
Dan Hamhuis
Francis Bouillon
Wade Belak
Dan Ellis

Way i see it next year
Sullivan(3.75) -Arnott(4.5) - Hornqvist(3.5*)
Erat (5.25)- Legwand (4.5)- Dumont (4.0)
Smithson (.775) -Wilson (.875) - Ward (1.5)
Boyd (1.25*) -Goc (.775) -Tootoo (1.150)

$=31.825

Weber (4.5) - Suter (3.5)
Grebeshkov (3.0*) -Klein (1.35)
Blum ( .787) - Franson (.875*)
$=14.102

Rinne(2.8)
Dietrich (.8*)
$=3.6

so Total= 49.527

***s contracts
Patric Hornqvist (2 year 7mill) ppl who think hes going to sign for 2 mill are crazy.. I think team offersheet 3.5/2 years we match
Dustin Boyd (1 year 1.25)
Denis Grebeshkov ( 1 year 3 mill) signs lower then Q offer
Cody Franson ( 2 year 1.75)
Mark Dekanich (1 year 800k)

What I think we should do *_*
Well I dont think we will spend 50 mill..... .. .. ...
Way to much money in the rw's
Dumont moved if we can get anything of value for him
Santorelli- O'Reilly- Spaling- other? fight it out.. saves 3mill/ish

Grebeshkov moved/not QO
Id rather offer to keep his rights then trade him / offer sheet which will never come...
Bouillon-Sulzer-Laakso- other? fight it out 2mill/ish saved

Over all I think next year is binding time year..

After next year we have
UFA:
Arnott- Sullivan -Ward-Smithson-Sulzer

RFA:
Goc- Weber- Pickard- Blum

And lets not for get this is final year of
Alexander Radulov KHL contract...

so this year coming is the clam b4 the storm .. and the 11/12 year is the biggest this franchise will have for a while i feel .. I think the moves we make will make or break us for a while..

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:56 PM
smitty10

Sulzer will be on the team next year. He has a one-way contract and is signed through next year. I can't see them sending him back down since he's at the age next season where he makes it, or heads back to Europe. Grebs will be gone, or Blum will be back in the AHL for one last season.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
WalkmanX

Well i would take Boullion over Grebs and we could probably get him for about .09 to 1

and didn't we have a self imposed cap of 45mil?

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Question for those with good memories: Has Poile ever asked a player to waive a no trade clause?

It seems like a very uncharacteristic thing for him to do, but it looks like we don't have a choice with all the young blood we need to sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkmanX View Post
Well i would take Boullion over Grebs and we could probably get him for about .09 to 1

and didn't we have a self imposed cap of 45mil?
No one knows for sure what our actual self imposed cap number is, but we do know that we cannot spend beyond the cap mid-point ($48.8 for this year) in order to qualify for full revenue sharing.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:03 PM
deanwormer

I would assume we'll ask Hornqvist to take a contract like Pekka's where it's loaded to the 2nd year rather than evenly split.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Question for those with good memories: Has Poile ever asked a player to waive a no trade clause?

It seems like a very uncharacteristic thing for him to do, but it looks like we don't have a choice with all the young blood we need to sign.

No one knows for sure what our actual self imposed cap number is, but we do know that we cannot spend beyond the cap mid-point ($48.8 for this year) in order to qualify for full revenue sharing.
I don't think so, then again he didn't start handing those out in NSH until Arnott got here.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Predsrule

Quote:

No he has never asked anyone to trade in NTC/NMC in Was or Nas that i know of..

I think our self imposed cap will be around 46 mill with the way everything is looking up ...
Id hate to lose gerbs for nothing... but looking that way.. lets hope JP ask for a trade

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

No, Poile has never asked anyone to waive a NTC or NMC and I believe he feels the same way about it as Burke does in Toronto.

Poile did however, trade Vokoun days before his NMC became effective and also did the same with Zidlicky...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, Poile has never asked anyone to waive a NTC or NMC and I believe he feels the same way about it as Burke does in Toronto.

Poile did however, trade Vokoun days before his NMC became effective and also did the same with Zidlicky...
I wonder if any of our guys with clauses actually have some sort of partial clauses? Or do we know for sure that they are full blown NMC? I know for Zidlicky, it was unknown to us (right up until weeks before he was traded) that his clause only lasted for the first 2 years of his contract

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Looking at the roster for next year there is two possible outcomes:

1: One of Weber, Arnott, Erat, or Legwand are going.

2: The Ownership group is willing to go RIGHT up to the salary cap.

Here's what I think:

Grebeshkov is going to be either traded for a pick or they will walk away from the arbitration decision. Boston did it with Sergei Sansonov. Hamhuis is gone and I hope the Preds can trade him to a team for a pick. Boullion can be signed for a million. Franson can be signed for a quarter million or up to a million. Forward wise, Belak is gone, Hornqvist will be interesting. He's due a BIG payraise BUT he's in his RFA year and won't be as traumatic for the Preds; $2,000,000. Boyd will be held down by his Calgary stats, $800,000.

The signings equal 4.5 million, the exact cost for Weber, Arnott, Erat, or Legwand. Yes I DID just include Shea Weber in a trade talk. I was one of the first people to say Tomas Vokoun can be traded to save some cap space. Sadly, this can happen to Weber too. Suter is a number 1 defenseman. Franson is dramatically improving, Klein can replace Hamhuis. Boullion can become the veteran presence for the team. Blum is ready for NHL time, Josi is in the pipeline, COR will spend another year in the CHL. Ellis will be in Milwaukee.

Do I RECOMEND trading Weber? Of course not. If Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan can be moved I would move them first. I'm just saying do not be surprised. The Preds need to free up cash UNLESS option two can happen.

Remember, Poile CAN ask the ownership for one year to overspend up to the self imposed cap of 48.8. Next year could be that year because Arnott, Ward, Goc, Smithson, and Sullivan come off the books and will free the Preds of 4.5 million + 1.5 million + 775,000 + 762,500. Money which can go to Weber. Goc and Smithson can be replaced by current prospects. Ward will be re-signed, Arnott has been replaced by Wilson. Sullivan by Hornqvist. There are always three numbers which roll in my mind; roster spots, salaries, and years. Next year is going to suck, too many roster spots, not enough cash.

If anything Sullivan would be the best fit to go. Moving him to a team who's a stronger prospect for a cup can be done and out of all the players I can see him waiving his NTC. His contract only has one year left which makes it palitable.

All this goes right out the window IF, and this is flat out speculation, the Preds KNOW a player is going to retire. Arnott's concussions are getting worrysome for me. It's almost cyclical. I NEVER was a fan for signing Sully. His back scared the high holy hell out of me. I wanted the Preds to sign a younger player for the same production and Sully's production has gone down a bit. If Sully is thinking about retiring that would be a big chunk of cash for the Preds. If BOTH Arnott and Sully were thinking about retirement.... That's $8.25 million dollars. That's a Weber extension, Hornqvist, Franson, Boyd, Boullion, AND a backup goalie.

The first two points are based on the current factors I get from capgeek and basic math. The last is pure speculation but it is feasible.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
glenngineer

BFC, you and I have started discussing this but there is the X factor you keep forgetting in all this mess, playoff success and ticket sales. If we can do some damage in the playoffs, some salary may be added because of that. Also, the team seems to have made serious strides in getting more sponsors and reaching out to the public. Sales should continue to grow, fingers crossed of course but it's too hard to speculate what might or might not happen with guys being re-signed, traded or let go.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
BFC, you and I have started discussing this but there is the X factor you keep forgetting in all this mess, playoff success and ticket sales. If we can do some damage in the playoffs, some salary may be added because of that. Also, the team seems to have made serious strides in getting more sponsors and reaching out to the public. Sales should continue to grow, fingers crossed of course but it's too hard to speculate what might or might not happen with guys being re-signed, traded or let go.
Why do you think I have TWO options? The first option is for a one round and done, but if multiple rounds happen the second option becomes more and more feasable. If the Preds have an extra 2-3 million laying around and they are willing to spend it why not spend it on one more player to hold on to?

Old
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I would assume we'll ask Hornqvist to take a contract like Pekka's where it's loaded to the 2nd year rather than evenly split.
I'm not totally sure he's going to get that much money. Petr Prucha, for example, scored 52 goals in his first 147 NHL games (including 30 goals his rookie year) and got $1.6M a year for two years. Hornqvist would have to score 22 goals in 46 games to match those numbers. Johan Franzen scored 34 goals in the year he got his big payday, but he had also scored 27 goals the year before. GMs generally don't pay out the nose for one season of success... well, good GMs don't, anyway.

I seem to recall people worrying about Weber wanting a Phaneuf-type contract in his first round of RFA negotiations, and he ended up signing for $2M less than Phaneuf. Poile knows what he's doing with RFAs, and I think he can get Hornqvist on a very reasonable two-year contract that will let us sort out the Suter/Weber situation and get some money off the books before we give him a big payday (plus it will also give him the opportunity to show he can score 30 goals on a consistent basis, potentially earning him even more money than if he went for the big payoff now). Boyd will also sign for significantly less than the $1.25M Predsrule has him signing for. I would look for around $750k. Grinders like Boyd and Smithson should not be making seven figures.

Also, you can bank on at least one of Grebeshkov and Hamhuis being back next fall. Poile made that trade because he either intends to keep Grebeshkov in the organization for at least an additional year, or use him as leverage to get a better deal out of Hamhuis. Hockey is a business, and no good businessman makes an investment that will pay no dividends, which is exactly what will happen if both Grebs and Hammer leave. I love what Bouillon brings (and would like to see him brought back as well if the price is right), but he lacks the versatility of Hamhuis or Grebeshkov that we need in that three slot, as does Franson, as does Klein.

Bouillon's "fate" will also depend on how the organization thinks Sulzer has progressed this year. If they're confident in him going forward, we may not see Bouillon brought back at all, instead using that opening on the third pairing to give Sulzer some playing time to see if he has anything to offer while also giving us the flexibility to bring up Blum or another prospect on the back end if Sulzer falters.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 03-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I'm not totally sure he's going to get that much money. Petr Prucha, for example, scored 52 goals in his first 147 NHL games (including 30 goals his rookie year) and got $1.6M a year for two years. Hornqvist would have to score 22 goals in 46 games to match those numbers. Johan Franzen scored 304 goals in the year he got his big payday, but he had also scored 27 goals the year before. GMs generally don't pay out the nose for one season of success... well, good GMs don't, anyway.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
WalkmanX

Now I'm no big math guy and contract guy and all that is new to me just saying that in advance

but bear with me, here's what I'm thinking for next year

*Trade Dumont for draft picks

*Give Hornqvist a 2 year deal looking something like 2m and 3m with a 2.5m cap hit

*Also Extend Boyd's Contract should make close to what he is making now.

*Resign Bouillon to 1m deal

*Extend Franson should also make close to what he is making now maybe a small raise.

* Sign a backup Goalie for around
So the Lines i would go with (in the brackets the cap hit for that line)

Erat-Arnott-Wilson (10,725)

Spaling-Legwand-Ward (6.9)

Sullivan-Goc-Hornqvist (7.025)

Smithson-Boyd-Tootoo (2.662)

(27.312)

Weber-Suter (8.5)

Bouillon-Klein (2.350)

Franson-Blum (1.67)

(12.52)

Rinne (3.4)

Backup (1)

(4.4)

That all would come down to 44.232m

And to be honest with you all i wouldn't mind rolling those lines one bit.

If i got anything wrong let me know

Old
03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Now I'm no big math guy and contract guy and all that is new to me just saying that in advance

but bear with me, here's what I'm thinking for next year

*Give Hornqvist a 2 year deal looking something like 2m and 3m with a 2.5m cap hit

*Also Extend Boyd's Contract should make close to what he is making now.

*Resign Bouillon to 1m deal

*Extend Franson should also make close to what he is making now maybe a small raise.

* Sign a backup Goalie for around
So the Lines i would go with (in the brackets the cap hit for that line)

Erat-Arnott-Wilson (10,725)

Spaling-Legwand-Ward (6.9)

Sullivan-Goc-Hornqvist (7.025)

Smithson-Boyd-Tootoo (2.662)

(27.312)

Weber-Suter (8.5)

Bouillon-Klein (2.350)

Franson-Blum (1.67)

(12.52)

Rinne (3.4)

Backup (1)

(4.4)

That all would come down to 44.232m

And to be honest with you all i wouldn't mind rolling those lines one bit.

If i got anything wrong let me know
I will continually throw up if those two are on the ice together as a 2nd pairing

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
I will continually throw up if those two are on the ice together as a 2nd pairing
Where are your seats so I'll know either to look for you throwing up or steering clear of you throwing up. Could be worse, he could've had Klein and Hamhuis paired together.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
WalkmanX

ok have i missed something? Klein and Boullion have played OK together, who else would u pair Klein with? The Cube plays well enough for other teams not to take advantage of Klein, LoL that sounded weird...

now i can see if i had suggested Hamhuis and Klein that would make me throw up aswell if they ever play together.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Honest mistake.

Quote:
That's the only sticking point in your plan. It's not finding a wiling buyer, but getting Dumont to waive his NMC that will be the problem.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's the only sticking point in your plan. It's not finding a wiling buyer, but getting Dumont to waive his NMC that will be the problem.
Well he has been playing on the 4th line and he isn't really getting the minutes that he maybe wants, so maybe he would be willing to waive it and go somewhere, where he could shine

Old
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Well he has been playing on the 4th line and he isn't really getting the minutes that he maybe wants, so maybe he would be willing to waive it and go somewhere, where he could shine
I do believe his wife would skin him alive....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I think it would be worse then that.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
LoL Well The Proposal i had it means someone with a big contract and they all got clauses in the their contract i think gets moved.
Who i don't really want to get moved are Erat and Arnott, maybe because I'm really excited about the Erat-Arnott-Wilson line really clicking and putting up some good numbers next year

Old
03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I understand what you mean....but I'm not really joking about the reaction of JP's wife. They asked for the NTC for a reason....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:10 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Dumont is the LEAST likely Predator to be asked to waive his NTC. Sully I can see. Arnott I can see. Dumont, no.