HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking Forward: Goaltending Situation

Old
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Looking Forward: Goaltending Situation

It looks like Mason won't be back next year, based on the fact that he didn't play last night(one of the biggest games of the year, make or break. We broke.) Mason has been decent the past few years, posting a 51-42-15 record but he'll be 34 in about three weeks. Conklin seems to be a journeyman number one goalie, but would be great for our backup spot. The question is, who do we bring in? There are some good young goalies out there(Cory Schneider, Carey Price, Jaroslav Halak, etc.) but they might not be available. Don't forget we have Jake Allen in our system, but he won't be available for a few years.

What would you guys do if you were the Blues right now?

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
trublu16

Mason has looked the part of a #1 netminder at times while in St. Louis. But the key here is that he LOOKED. But overall his time in the Bluenote. Has been nothing but average. I am personally tired of all the old retreads that have looked good at time and other time looked like what they really are back-ups. Mason is a very good back-up and that is all he is going to be. He will never carry a team to the promise land, unless it is a team like the RedWings. Hell they did it with freaking Osgood in net.

Here are the ones that i would go after:

1.) Harding, MIN: Definitely be my #1 choice. He is experienced and has had a season in which he was in 29 games for 1 season. And his stats are very good. And I think he would be the best for what we are doing.

2.)Cory Schnieder, VAN: I really think that he would be a solid NHL goalie, but Vancouver is going to want an arm and a leg for this guy.

3.)Price/Halak, MTL: Which ever one that MTL does not sign to long term, sign the other guy to an offer sheet. MTL will take the picks and not match the offer sheet.

4.)Bernier, LA: Don't think La would part ways with this guy, just yet. But it would be nice to have this guy between the pipes.

But over all, I would think that we could probably make a deal for Harding. And not be costly to our talent pool.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrumBlues View Post
It looks like Mason won't be back next year, based on the fact that he didn't play last night(one of the biggest games of the year, make or break. We broke.) Mason has been decent the past few years, posting a 51-42-15 record but he'll be 34 in about three weeks. Conklin seems to be a journeyman number one goalie, but would be great for our backup spot. The question is, who do we bring in? There are some good young goalies out there(Cory Schneider, Carey Price, Jaroslav Halak, etc.) but they might not be available. Don't forget we have Jake Allen in our system, but he won't be available for a few years.

What would you guys do if you were the Blues right now?
Conklin is a good guy for bringing along a young net-minder. He could be the #1 guy if need be (during the first part of the season), but I wouldn't want him to be that guy all season.

Schneider is our guy, I think. Its just a matter of putting together a package that meets the Canucks half-way. It seems he was heavily scouted by the Blues during the season. Pretty sure the front office likes him, but there just wasn't a deadline deal available. Things should be more flexible in the off-season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

What would we need to give up to get Schneider

Old
03-25-2010, 05:35 PM
STL fan in IA

Here's what I foresee happening. The Blues will try to trade for one of the young goalies many have mentioned - one of Schneider, Harding, Halak, Price, etc. I think there's about a 20% chance they're successful - call it a hunch based on past history. Assuming a trade for one of those guys doesn't work out, they reluctantly re-sign Chris Mason. I like Mason and think he's worthy of being called a #1 goalie but I'd put him in the 15-30 range of starting goalies...what the Blues really need is a top 10 or at least top 15 goalie - someone that rarely lays and egg, can be counted on to make the key saves and steal some games here and there. That said, I like the prospects of bringing him back, especially when price is factored in, over UFA options like Nabakov or Turco. If the Blues can't make a trade for a young goalie, I expect Mason to be brought back on likely a 2 year, possibly a 1 year contract.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:37 PM
kfox9611

Quote:
Im assuming their gonna want some young talent. So its just a matter of how far we go with that. Quite Frankly we have so many d-men in our system we can DEFINATLY afford to part with. A part of me thinks thats why they have drafted so many defense for the past few years.

Petro is going to be off limits, as should Rundblad and (with all the latest hype anyway) Cole. So that means most likely Junland will be in a package, because as much as I love him, theres just not gonna be an opening here for him to be a full time top 4 guy.

If you look down the road a bit at our top 6, It be nice to have (captain) EJ, Petro, Rundblad, Polak, Cole, and one other fit in shut down player. Of those 6, 3 maybe 4 are going to be offensive minded. So again no room for Junland.

And lets again be honest Schneider is a good goalie. So a 1 for 1 trade isnt gonna be worth it. So potentially a 2nd rounder, or a 3rd rounder and maybe another lower prospect could do the deal. Theyre gonna want Eller, but there is a reason we drafted him in the 1st round. Hopefully we get him and have a franchise goalie in him, than again in a few years, be able to trade one of him, Allen, or Bishop and be in the same situation Vancouver is in, trading a goalie for a range of picks and prospects.

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Like any of us know. Go ask Vancouver's GM. Something I would be willing to give up which might also be something Vancouver would be interested would be Junland plus Bishop for Schneider. They way the Canucks still get a goalie for their system. Maybe a later round pick is included along with Schneider to even out the deal.

Old
03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
ChicagoBlues

Jackman, Bishop and McRae for Schneider and a 2011 2nd-round pick (if they have one).

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Unbennett

I would love to see the Blues go get Harding cheaper then Schneider and more proven in the NHL but don't know if Minnesoata will want to get rid of him I think Backstrom has had some injuries

Unbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

I have this nervous suspicion that Armstrong wants to sign Turco. Since Army came over from Dallas, he has brought along Crombeen, Winchester, and Sydor. Turco would seem to follow suit. Hopefully a move like this would be vetoed by JD and Co. but according to JR, Armstrong may want a longer leash and more control in shaping the roster.

Personally, I see this as a Plan D scenario behind trading for a legit #1, resigning Mason, and growing a clone of Ryan Miller using a lock of his hair.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Blues0307

The Blues definitely should go out and take the risk to get a young future #1. If it doesn't work out, you have Allen coming up in the next 4 years, so it isn't the worst situation in the world. If it does work out, goalie becomes a position of strength for the first time in my life time. As much as I'm hoping we go out and get one of those young guys the OP mentioned, I could easily see JD resigning Mason. I think that would be a huge mistake honestly, but there is a track record of this organization resigning veterans to burdensome contracts. The timing is perfect though, to go out and get a true future #1, and we have the assets to do it.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:01 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
The Blues definitely should go out and take the risk to get a young future #1. If it doesn't work out, you have Allen coming up in the next 4 years, so it isn't the worst situation in the world. If it does work out, goalie becomes a position of strength for the first time in my life time. As much as I'm hoping we go out and get one of those young guys the OP mentioned, I could easily see JD resigning Mason. I think that would be a huge mistake honestly, but there is a track record of this organization resigning veterans to burdensome contracts. The timing is perfect though, to go out and get a true future #1, and we have the assets to do it.
It really helps that we're one of the few teams genuinely interested in one by just about any means of asset management, and that there's a mix of them available in both conferences to thin out competition for certain deals.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Exactly.

The Blues could sign or trade for any number of good goalies but none are really an upgrade over Mason. Halak/Price would be the exception but I expect the Habs to re-sign him and trade Price.

Nabokov, Turco, Harding or Ellis aren't any better than Mason. I also think Conklin could be a number one if given the chance. He reminds me of Craig Anderson who didn't get to shine until given that opportunity.

But I agree with the idea of going out and getting a young, very good goalie and letting him play his way into our long term plans. If not now, then allocate that money for our other needs and the let Conklin have the job and bring in a decent backup.

One thing the Blues have never, ever been good at is developing and/or keeping not just good goalies, but great goalies. It's always been a question mark and a merry-go-round.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Any interest in getting Vokoun this offseason to police the crease for a few years? Rumor that he might be available via trade from FLA.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Any interest in getting Vokoun this offseason to police the crease for a few years? Rumor that he might be available via trade from FLA.
Yeah, I'd be interested in Vokoun. The problem is that he comes with a pretty sizable contract - ($5.7M cap hit for 2 more years and would likely cost quite a bit in players/picks/prospects going to Florida to get him. It sounds like he's available as I've heard FLA is simply looking to blow up the team and start over while I've also heard rumors that Vokoun has gotten frustrated with the inept management of the Panthers and wants out. Regardless, it sounds like he's available if a team out there is willing to pay. I'm not sure he would be the best cost/benefit option for the Blues (perhaps someone like Harding or Schneider can be had for both less money and less assets) but IMO he is the real deal and would instantly give the Blues top 10 goaltending in the league. I'm also hearing Chicago is VERY big on him since their biggest hole is goaltending with the adequate but nothing more tandem of Huet/Niemi in net...although I really like Niemi's future. I think he's already taken over Huet as the #1 in Chicago. If he or Huet (whoever ends up earning the bulk of the starts in the playoffs) falters, look for Chicago to go hard after Vokoun. Since they're so close to the Cap as it is, they would obviously have to trade fairly high priced players (guys like Sharp, Campbell, etc.) to Florida to make the deal work. If the price is right though, then yes, I think the Blues should at least check into Vokoun. No harm in kicking the tires and seeing what it would take to get him.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Not much

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
BlueBeard

Has the front office came to the point where they are willing to give up what the Wild want for harding? The Wild wanted a top six forward for harding at the last draft which at that time was unrealistic. I can't imagine the Wild's GM not wanting at least that(if not more) now.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Has the front office came to the point where they are willing to give up what the Wild want for harding? The Wild wanted a top six forward for harding at the last draft which at that time was unrealistic. I can't imagine the Wild's GM not wanting at least that(if not more) now.
He certainly doesn't seem worth that straight up, at least not from our top-6 quality players considering it'd between our former 1st round draft picks (Oshie, Berglund, Perron, Steen, even Eller) or a major contributor over the last 3 seasons. (McDonald, Boyes, Backes)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
EOM

My top choices:

1. Price
2. Halak
3. Schneider
4. Harding

I don't think Bernier is available. It looks like LA is going to give him a chance next season to steal the starting job from Quick. It also doesn't look like Washington is trading Neuvirth until they have a better idea of how Varlamov is going to turn out.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
My top choices:

1. Price
2. Halak
3. Schneider
4. Harding

I don't think Bernier is available. It looks like LA is going to give him a chance next season to steal the starting job from Quick. It also doesn't look like Washington is trading Neuvirth until they have a better idea of how Varlamov is going to turn out.
This is pretty much the same list I'd make, Price for sure.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
The asking price will be less because Harding wanted out, played poorly at the beginning of the season as a result, and is only 1 year away from UFA. If they keep him next year, they will surely lose him in the summer of 2011.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
STL fan in IA

I like Harding quite a bit - I get the impression I like him more than most Blues fans. Personally, I'd put him ahead of Schneider. Harding is NHL proven while Schneider has only had a handful of NHL games (yes, I know why that is but it still means he lacks NHL experience and is unproven) and his potential is just as high as Schneider's too IMO.

What the Blues do will ALL depend on what it would take to get a particular guy. Deals obviously have to make sense. It's easy for fans to say the Blues should go out and get this guy or that guy and while a player might be available, the deal has to make sense. If Minny or Vancouver want a fairly big piece of the Blues puzzle (say Perron) for either Harding or Schneider, then that's probably too much to give up. If it's more along the lines of Junland and Bishop, then it makes sense. It'll all depend on if the Blues can come to a reasonable deal with a team - whether it be Vancover (Schneider), Minny (Harding), Montral (Price or Halak) or any other team (I don't think Bernier is even available). Also, we need to keep in mind that the Blues won't be the only team looking to trade for these guys - if another team is willing to way overpay, then the Blues likely won't get their guy.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I like Harding quite a bit - I get the impression I like him more than most Blues fans. Personally, I'd put him ahead of Schneider. Harding is NHL proven while Schneider has only had a handful of NHL games (yes, I know why that is but it still means he lacks NHL experience and is unproven) and his potential is just as high as Schneider's too IMO.
I'm of the same mind with respect to Harding. I can't believe Blues fans wouldn't be more excited about him just based on his results against us alone...36 saves, 2 GA in a 4-2 win earlier this month...and I seem to recall he had a 30+ save, 1 GA winning performance against us last year as well.

I also like Schneider going back to his days at BC...but I think I like Harding a little bit more. Would love to see him wearing the Bluenote for several years.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:47 PM
jmwc95

I'm fairly certain that Harding will be moved this offseason. He's an RFA, he's got one year left until UFA (he's not going to sign a multi-year deal), and there are 18 million reasons that Backstrom will be their starter the next 3 years. They might as well get something (~ 2nd round pick) out of him while they can and sign a cheap UFA backup. They are rebuilding and could use the picks.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
I'm of the same mind with respect to Harding. I can't believe Blues fans wouldn't be more excited about him just based on his results against us alone...36 saves, 2 GA in a 4-2 win earlier this month...and I seem to recall he had a 30+ save, 1 GA winning performance against us last year as well.

I also like Schneider going back to his days at BC...but I think I like Harding a little bit more. Would love to see him wearing the Bluenote for several years.
The problem with Harding is that his numbers have really fallen off this year. So have Backstom's. It makes you worry that Harding's previous numbers were just a product of Lemaire's system.