HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Looking Forward: Goaltending Situation

Old
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Cancuks Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Jackman and a 2011 3rd rounder for Schneider and a 2011 6th rounder.
For the Canucks, they will try to make a move with Schneider in the offseason. What they want back is either a young blueliner or forward, one that is NHL ready come the beginning of the season. So, not too interested in a Rundblad type prospect, who they would have to wait 2 years for because Schneider will be playing in the NHL in October.

Don't think Jackman would be something they would be interested in. Nucks need a good deal for Schneider. They shouldn't have any interest helping a conference rival's weakest position if they don't get a good return. Otherwise, they are better off sending Schneider to Philly, Toronto, Ottawa, Islanders, etc in the East so that Schneider wouldn't come back to haunt them 4 times a season and future playoff matchups, ala Kipper vs. Sharks in 2004 in round 2.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Is goal tending our biggest issue or is it goal scoring?

****, we can't win at home. And we are blaming the goaltender? I mean really.... it is the goalies falt he is facing 20 shots in the 3rd period and that we are getting out played in a big way.

I think that is just plain stupid. Everyone wants Harding or Schneider.... But they are likely no better then Mason. He is a 2nd tier goalie - but they haven't even proven they are yet. ****, Schneider isn't even a proven NHL backup. Sorry, I would rather have the bird in hand then the two in the bush.

Price, Halak,.... Atleast there we are talking about guys who have proven more and at this time on the same tier as Mason.

But, maybe if we had a solid number 1 dman or kept pressure on the oposition in the 3rd period, we wouldn't even be talking about this.
this is the point I was trying to make. You guys are gonna miss the playoffs by about 10 points. Upgrading from Mason to Vokoun might get you those extra ten but adding some depth/talent among your skaters would probably be more likely to get you those extra ten or more, and not just for one or two years.

As much as I 'd hate to see him play for you, the Blues could probably sign Dan Ellis for less than 3 million, and then use the 6 million you'll have when Kariya goes away, plus whatever KT makes, and pick up three or four good free agent skaters.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:06 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
For the Canucks, they will try to make a move with Schneider in the offseason. What they want back is either a young blueliner or forward, one that is NHL ready come the beginning of the season. So, not too interested in a Rundblad type prospect, who they would have to wait 2 years for because Schneider will be playing in the NHL in October.

Don't think Jackman would be something they would be interested in. Nucks need a good deal for Schneider. They shouldn't have any interest helping a conference rival's weakest position if they don't get a good return. Otherwise, they are better off sending Schneider to Philly, Toronto, Ottawa, Islanders, etc in the East so that Schneider wouldn't come back to haunt them 4 times a season and future playoff matchups, ala Kipper vs. Sharks in 2004 in round 2.
Schneider for Junland plus maybe a mid to later round pick then? Junland's an offensive d-man who is pretty much NHL ready. 40 pts in 69 games so far this season - selected as an all-star both years in the AHL. If the Canucks wanted a more defensive d-man, it would have to be Cole but I don't think I'd go for that trade.

You make a good point though in that the Blues would likely have to beat any offers from Eastern teams as they would undoubtedly prefer to trade Schneider to an Eastern team than a Western team.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post

I think the offer is fair. You may think you speak for Canucks' Nation, but imo, Vancouver needs another solid NHL-veteran defenseman and Jackman fits that bill very well. He just turned 29, so he is in his prime and has had very solid season. I agree that The Canucks need a young stud defenseman who can be a franchise type, but you're better off drafting a player like that, but a young D-man stud is an overpayment for Schneider because goaltenders are such a crap shoot. You get an NHL-proven player in Jackman for an unproven, but awesome-looking prospect in Schneider. Seems fair to me.

The problem is that I see Schneider getting tendered by Vancouver or another club without trade even being possible.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Is goal tending our biggest issue or is it goal scoring?

****, we can't win at home. And we are blaming the goaltender? I mean really.... it is the goalies falt he is facing 20 shots in the 3rd period and that we are getting out played in a big way.

I think that is just plain stupid. Everyone wants Harding or Schneider.... But they are likely no better then Mason. He is a 2nd tier goalie - but they haven't even proven they are yet. ****, Schneider isn't even a proven NHL backup. Sorry, I would rather have the bird in hand then the two in the bush.

Price, Halak,.... Atleast there we are talking about guys who have proven more and at this time on the same tier as Mason.

But, maybe if we had a solid number 1 dman or kept pressure on the oposition in the 3rd period, we wouldn't even be talking about this.
No it's not, but Mason is due for another contract or a pink slip and it seems that most of us think Mason's not going to be with St. Louis by the beginning of next season.

Goaltending is a problem, but I agree that scoring is the biggest issue. But as far goaltending goes, The Blues need a great goaltender as always.

Old
03-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Jackman and a 2011 3rd rounder for Schneider and a 2011 6th rounder.
The better player and the better pick to Vancouver?
No way.

Change Jackman to Junland and I'd be on board.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:11 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is the point I was trying to make. You guys are gonna miss the playoffs by about 10 points. Upgrading from Mason to Vokoun might get you those extra ten but adding some depth/talent among your skaters would probably be more likely to get you those extra ten or more, and not just for one or two years.

As much as I 'd hate to see him play for you, the Blues could probably sign Dan Ellis for less than 3 million, and then use the 6 million you'll have when Kariya goes away, plus whatever KT makes, and pick up three or four good free agent skaters.
Dan Ellis? No thanks. I'd rather the Blues re-sign Mason before signing Ellis.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
The better player and the better pick to Vancouver?
No way.

Change Jackman to Junland and I'd be on board.
My thoughts exactly! Jackman is worth more than Schnieder as far as trade value. Maybe on HF he is not, but proven players have more worth than potential in most cases... aside from fourth liners and elite prospects. Jackman is a top pairing defenseman and Schneider albeit a good prospect is unproven and a goaltender.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Dan Ellis? No thanks. I'd rather the Blues re-sign Mason before signing Ellis.
I understand, and agree, based on which one is better. my point was if mason either wont re-sign or would cost too much for the expected return, you could accept a slight downgrade along with saving a couple million that you could spend on some scoring.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
My thoughts exactly! Jackman is worth more than Schnieder as far as trade value. Maybe on HF he is not, but proven players have more worth than potential in most cases... aside from fourth liners and elite prospects. Jackman is a top pairing defenseman and Schneider albeit a good prospect is unproven and a goaltender.
Yeah it's a high payment, but some other team is going to also make a gamble for him. I don't know. I'm overvaluing Schneider, but The Blues can dump some salary by trading Jackman, but Junland would be a good trade as well.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Yeah it's a high payment, but some other team is going to also make a gamble for him. I don't know. I'm overvaluing Schneider, but The Blues can dump some salary by trading Jackman, but Junland would be a good trade as well.
All I know is if JD makes a trade and says it works for both sides again I will loose it! Especially if it is with someone in our conference. I can appreciate his POV, but hockey is about winning and helping another team does not make it any easier for us.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
All I know is if JD makes a trade and says it works for both sides again I will loose it! Especially if it is with someone in our conference. I can appreciate his POV, but hockey is about winning and helping another team does not make it any easier for us.
Huh? So the Blues should only makes trades if they are helped but the other team isn't? You realize that the only reason GM's trade assets is because they both think the trade will improve their team, right? Perhaps your suggestion could happen if 29 Mike Milbury clones were the GMs of the other teams but in real life, you can't get mad at JD for a trade helping both the Blues and the other team...as that's the whole point!