HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

DW now Pres, Duds is GM, Anderson and staff fired. All info on new coaching staff

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2010, 06:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
These new hires could make or break the franchise remaining in Atlanta. Huge decision IMO.
Totally agree.

Old
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Juneemoon

Don Waddell was on 680 this morning. They asked him about the new coaching hire and he said "Rick has given me a list of his 4 or 5 favorites, but they are all either working in the NHL or coaching right now", so hopefully that lets out Ken Hitchcock.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Don Waddell was on 680 this morning. They asked him about the new coaching hire and he said "Rick has given me a list of his 4 or 5 favorites, but they are all either working in the NHL or coaching right now", so hopefully that lets out Ken Hitchcock.
And he said it had to be a coach who could develop young players - so that rules out Hitchcock.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

it will almost certainly be someone Dudley is pretty close with... that rules out a lot of people and makes me think Torchetti might be the guy

Old
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Robotic

John Anderson is lucky he lasted 2 years. His defensive system is non-existant and his offensive scheme was garbage at this level. Our teams were predictable, the power play was awful, and it seemed every top level team shut us out or held us to 1 goal. Not to mention his juggling of lines was laughable. Maybe he will go back to being successful in the AHL, but he isn't NHL calibre.

Old
04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
John Anderson is lucky he lasted 2 years. His defensive system is non-existant and his offensive scheme was garbage at this level. Our teams were predictable, the power play was awful, and it seemed every top level team shut us out or held us to 1 goal. Not to mention his juggling of lines was laughable. Maybe he will go back to being successful in the AHL, but he isn't NHL calibre.
Totally agree. My copy/pasted opinion from the main boards...

I personally think JA was the wrong coach and had to go. His system, if there really was one, was out-muscled in most games. IMO, in the two years, there were really not many games the team actually won outright. It seems like we were always able to squeak by with decent goaltending and good shot placement. I'm sorry, but when the team is out-shot by 15 shots every game, you just can't have a successful team all season. When 75% of the game is spent in the defensive zone, you just can't have a successful team all season. No backchecking or forechecking, just long passes and quick rushes which turn into maybe one quick chance and another 2-3 mins spent back in the defensive zone.

Plus...how is every loss based on getting bad bounces from the puck? Not just a couple losses...but all of them??

Old
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Craig Ramsay?

Old
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

no to Craig Ramsay. Seems he recovered from Colon cancer but any time he's ill he has to be very careful. He missed game one of the playoffs this year with the flu. They rushed him to the hospital.

Sorry but, I don't want that kind of drama hanging over the team.

Torchetti with Chelios as one of the assistants. Wendall Young as a goalie coach? Didn't he work with Pavs and Lehtonen in Chicago? Goalies seem to flourish down there. Young also worked with Habibulin in TB I believe?

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 04-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old
04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Torchetti with Chelios as one of the assistants. Wendall Young as a goalie coach?
Anyone to coach goal is better than Steve ****ing Weeks. I like how the rest of 'em sound, though. I remember hearing somewhere that Chelios wasn't "ready to hang up the skates" and that Detroit offered him an assistant job last off-season.

Chelios didn't take it then. I hope he considers it this time, should the offer be there for him.

Old
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
It would also mean that Therrien is out of the running as well. Torchetti probably has to be the favourite.

Old
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Was reading Torchetti's Bio and it somehow doesn't sound any different than Anderson's did. So, I did some more searching.

Some not so obvious choices that would prove interesting:

Mark Hardy -- Asst. in LA. Was in Chicago during Dudley's tour of duty. In charge of teaching the young defensemen. They became a solid blueline corps dropping GA's from 3.4 to 2.8. In charge of LA's defense now. They are #3 in penalty kill with young guns.

Brent Peterson -- Asst. in Nashville for 10 yrs. He developed talent such as Marian Hossa, Adam Deadmarsh, and Brendon Morrow in the WHA.

Dave King -- Asst. in Phoenix. First year there, he is a teacher and you can see it in Phoenix. Spent many years with Hockey Canada national teams. Went overseas to coach for years. Was Calgary's coach in the mid-90's -- 2 Division titles and a 109-76-31 record. Coached Columbus the first year and set record for expansion teams' first year with 71 points.

Tony Granato -- Asst. in Pittsburgh. Was head coach with Colorado twice. 215-104 record with Division titles and playoff victories. Second stint from 05-08 was as an assistant until he was promoted at the end of the season, he was in charge of raising the "kids" that now are playing in the playoffs.

I'm guessing Don Lever will also get a look after Chicago Wolves finish up.

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 04-18-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old
04-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Craig MacTavish is not a bad coach but I do not want him near our young guys. His last few years with Edmonton left as our taste in my mouth.

Old
04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Was reading Torchetti's Bio and it somehow doesn't sound any different than Anderson's did. So, I did some more searching.

Some not so obvious choices that would prove interesting:

Mark Hardy -- Asst. in LA. Was in Chicago during Dudley's tour of duty. In charge of teaching the young defensemen. They became a solid blueline corps dropping GA's from 3.4 to 2.8. In charge of LA's defense now. They are #3 in penalty kill with young guns.

Brent Peterson -- Asst. in Nashville for 10 yrs. He developed talent such as Marian Hossa, Adam Deadmarsh, and Brendon Morrow in the WHA.

Dave King -- Asst. in Phoenix. First year there, he is a teacher and you can see it in Phoenix. Spent many years with Hockey Canada national teams. Went overseas to coach for years. Was Calgary's coach in the mid-90's -- 2 Division titles and a 109-76-31 record. Coached Columbus the first year and set record for expansion teams' first year with 71 points.

Tony Granato -- Asst. in Pittsburgh. Was head coach with Colorado twice. 215-104 record with Division titles and playoff victories. Second stint from 05-08 was as an assistant until he was promoted at the end of the season, he was in charge of raising the "kids" that now are playing in the playoffs.

I'm guessing Don Lever will also get a look after Chicago Wolves finish up.

Honestly I would love Peterson. I mentioned him a while back. But I think it is going to be Torchetti or Ramsey due to RD's history with Torchetti and love affair with Ramsey.

Old
04-20-2010, 07:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

This article by Jay Feaster says it'll be either Torchetti or Ramsay.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ers-coach.html

Old
05-01-2010, 09:24 AM
StevenintheATL

Throw Manitoba Moose head coach Scott Arniel into the mix.

http://www.bluelandblog2.com/2010/04...for-thrashers/

Quote:
The Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that the Thrashers are interested in talking to Manitoba Moose head coach Scott Arniel about the head coaching job here in Atlanta. Ariel is technically employed by the Vancouver Canucks so Rick Dudley would have to get permission from them to speak to Arniel. Word on Twitter is that permission has been granted.
Something to note, Arniel was an assistant coach with the Moose back when our Moose was with them.

Wolves head coach Don Lever is also in the mix as well according to the Blueland Blog.

I would prefer they would go after someone that already has NHL coaching experience (John Anderson went from being a player in the minor leagues to being a minor league coach before getting the Atlanta gig.). Both Arniel and Lever have been NHL assistant coaches.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:50 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
Throw Manitoba Moose head coach Scott Arniel into the mix.

http://www.bluelandblog2.com/2010/04...for-thrashers/

Something to note, Arniel was an assistant coach with the Moose back when our Moose was with them.

Wolves head coach Don Lever is also in the mix as well according to the Blueland Blog.

I would prefer they would go after someone that already has NHL coaching experience (John Anderson went from being a player in the minor leagues to being a minor league coach before getting the Atlanta gig.). Both Arniel and Lever have been NHL assistant coaches.
This would be nice

Head Coach: John Stevens/Craig Mactavish/Guy Carbonneau
Assistant- Torchetti
Assistant-Lever/Chelios
Goalie- Hedberg

Old
05-01-2010, 02:06 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
This would be nice

Head Coach: John Stevens/Craig Mactavish/Guy Carbonneau

Assistant- Torchetti
Assistant-Lever/Chelios
Goalie- Hedberg
If I were GM, I wouldn't want any one of these three anywhere near my team's bench.

Old
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Polarsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
In all honesty, what's out there isn't pretty.

Do we really want someone like Mike Kennan, Ken Hitchcock, Ted Nolan, Brian Sutter, or Andy Murray behind the bench here. Most of those guys are past their sell-by date.

14 full seasons in the NHL and has only missed the playoffs in ONCE in any full season coached.

Set records in Columbus and Dallas for most wins in single season.

Helped Columbus get to first ever playoff appearance.

1000+ coached games
500+ wins (4th fastest coach to reach that milestone in NHL history)
2 Cup Final Appearances
1 Stanley Cup
4 conference final appearances
1 Presidents Trophy
6 Division titles
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 World Cup Gold Medal
1 World Jr. Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
One guy I think being considered is Ken Hitchcock. I would hate that but I wouldn't be surprised if Dudley interviews him.
He would bring credibility to the Thrashers like they haven't seen before just as he did in Columbus. The whole nonsense of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoinga View Post
Hasnt Hitchcock alienated as many team or more than Hartley?
Is nothing but HF board lore. He has GREAT relationship with a great deal of his former players and has had MANY players have played their best hockey with him as their coach, and many haven't achieved as much since.

The jackets had the best start of their franchise history this year, but when Mason went south, Hejda and Klesla got hurt, that left the -out-of-shape-Commodore their only dman left who was in their top 3 they fell off the map.

When Brassard, after his shiny new multimillion dollar deal (after 50 games played in the NHL) was enduring his much-to-be-expected sophomore slump, the coach was the easy target. Voracek played very well for a lot of the season, but I guess it was Hitchcock's fault that he couldn't score on any pp and had a 20+ game drought. Yeah, he scored some goals when he left, but Voracek is a good player and it was coming. It didn't exactly equate to more wins anyway.

The team just wasn't that good. Russell played very well for at least a month before Hitchcock was let go, and about 2 weeks after and then he just fell off the map. Meanwhile, Nash did nothing post Olympics after Hitchcock left.

The reality is that Hitchcock was an easy target and the GM had to either fire himself for letting the team get WORSE after last year, or let the coach go. The GM penciled in a kid who had played 50 games in the NHL to be their top line center. He wasn't ready and Hitch got the can tied to him. They needed an excuse. Brassard never missed a pp and scored 9 times.

The year before, nobody was complaining about Brassards 25 points in 31 games or Voracek's top 15 rookie finish. When they were scuttled up in the lineup because the GM forced the coach no choice and they clearly weren't ready, Hitchcock got the boot. It is pretty easy to see that the GM screwed up and the coach took the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
And he said it had to be a coach who could develop young players - so that rules out Hitchcock.
Like I said before, there have been countless young players who had very good rookie seasons and continued to improve with Hitchcock as their coach, it is the one or two who have tough years who he gets the 'credit' for. examples, Carter, Richards, Gagne, Pitkanen, how old do you think the guys in Dallas were when he started with them, ie? Modano, Hatcher, Langenbrunner, Matvichuk, Sydor. What about that big guy that was a BEAST in the Olympics...what was his name? Something Nash??? Mason, Leclaire, he made Robert Esche and Roman Checkmanuk look like NHL calibre goalies. The list is long.

People want to point to Filatov as a poster child as a kid Hitchcock has ruined? Puck-daddy has the interview where Filatov decided after 4 games he was leaving. Since Filatov left, he has only slid further and further down the rankings. He is a small kid with a HUGE sense of entitlement and is looking to blame anyone and everyone for his lack of success.

Hitchcock would provide the type of structure that Atlanta desperately needs, it is just whether or not he is interested in going to a non-hockey market again and would be interested in boosting up the sport in a city that doesn't really give a crud about it.

Last edited by Polarsled: 05-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old
05-06-2010, 07:46 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The Manitoba Moose coach, Scott Arniel, is going to get an interview:

Quote:
The Manitoba Moose coach has been interviewed by the Columbus Blue Jackets to become bench boss of the NHL's youngest team. And he will also interview with the Atlanta Thrashers in the same capacity to replace the fired John Anderson.
Quote:
He has compiled 45, 46, 50 and 40 win seasons with the Vancouver Canucks affiliate and has excelled in teaching and resiliency when his roster has been struck by injury or recalls. The salary cap has only added to that demand and it's the same struggle Alain Vigneault and Randy Carlyle dealt with in Manitoba before taking the NHL coaching leap.
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...-are-next.aspx

Old
05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley will interview Scott Arniel of the AHL Manitoba Moose this weekend for the teamís vacant head coaching position.

Dudley asked for permission from the Vancouver Canucks to speak to Arniel, who has coached the teamís AHL affiliate the past three seasons. He was named the AHLís coach of the year in 2009, leading the Moose to a franchise-record 50 wins.

Dudley is attending the Memorial Cup, a junior-hockey tournament in Manitoba, Canada, where the interview with Arniel will take place.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...el-527753.html

Old
05-23-2010, 05:07 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looks like we have to wait a bit longer to speak with Torchetti.

Do we have a shot at getting this guy out of Chicago?? I'm not so sure we do anymore.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post

Do we have a shot at getting this guy out of Chicago?? I'm not so sure we do anymore.
I am not sure why you wouldn't

Hawks and Coach Q wont stand in way of him getting a chance to be a HC. Thrashers can wait another week/2 weeks

More worrisome for me as a Hawks fan is not only are we going to have to lose some good players because of cap but now there are reports our other assistant coah Mike Haviland is getting interest also

Old
05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'd rather wait another week or so, than know that Heatley got to touch the Stanley Cup.

Old
05-23-2010, 08:52 PM
aBurmistrov

No Hitchcock please....how about John Stevens?

Old
05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I am not sure why you wouldn't

Hawks and Coach Q wont stand in way of him getting a chance to be a HC. Thrashers can wait another week/2 weeks

More worrisome for me as a Hawks fan is not only are we going to have to lose some good players because of cap but now there are reports our other assistant coah Mike Haviland is getting interest also
John Anderson would be a good assistant if we lose Torchetti and/or Haviland

He's good friends with Q

Closed Thread