HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Captain?

Old
03-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Stats79

vCash: 500
Captain?

Hey, Flames fan here drowning my seasons sorrows.

Caught some of the Sharks game and was wondering when Blake started wearing the "C" ?? Why was it pulled (or given) from Marleau?

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Marleau was stripped off captaincy in the off-season for the playoff failures. Blake was named the new captain.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Stats79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Marleau was stripped off captaincy in the off-season for the playoff failures. Blake was named the new captain.
Judging by this season, seems to have worked for Marleau. Maybe we should try that with Iggy.

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
one2gamble

are you ****ing kidding me right now?

This was like slapped all over everything hockey for a good two months maybe more

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats79 View Post
Judging by this season, seems to have worked for Marleau. Maybe we should try that with Iggy.
Nothing has changed though numbers wise. He was injured at the end of the season last year.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Kingshark49

Patrick Marleau I feel has actually benefitted from not having the "C" any longer. All he has had to do since is just concentrate on playing hockey and working on the things he does best...I'm okay with Rob Blake being Captain for now, though I don't think he will be back next season. If that happens I want Dan Boyle to be named Captain for the 2010-11 season (I actually would not have minded seeing Boyle become the Captain this year either to be completely honest...)...

Kingshark49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingshark49 View Post
Patrick Marleau I feel has actually benefitted from not having the "C" any longer. All he has had to do since is just concentrate on playing hockey and working on the things he does best...
You're just reciting what the media says. Have you looked at his performance since and including the Olympics? Same ol' inconsistent Marleau. He was on pace to over 55 goals but started to cool down around a month before Olympics. Now Heatley might end up with more goals than him by the end of the season.

Nothing has changed. He's played well because there was no pressure. Now that there is pressure and the playoffs are coming soon - take a look at his and Thornton's performances.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Patty is on the same pace, he was just injured last season.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Kingshark49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
You're just reciting what the media says. Have you looked at his performance since and including the Olympics? Same ol' inconsistent Marleau. He was on pace to over 55 goals but started to cool down around a month before Olympics. Now Heatley might end up with more goals than him by the end of the season.

Nothing has changed. He's played well because there was no pressure. Now that there is pressure and the playoffs are coming soon - take a look at his and Thornton's performances.
Actually, I do believe Patrick Marleau has played better without the "C" because of lesser pressure on his shoulders. Being the team Captain was a burdon that he did not need at the end, it was the wise move for him and by the team that he give up the Captaincy. He no longer felt as if he had to carry the team all by himself. As far as this month goes, the Sharks before their win in Minnesota Wendnesday night were 3-6-1 for the month. The entire team has been off, not just Marleau or Joe Thornton.

Now, it is true that they have underachieved in the playoffs and it remains to be seen whether or not they can raise their games to the next level and do what it takes to have success there. Not just Marleau and Thornton, but the entire team. Marleau is still relied upon to be a leader for the Sharks offense and with good reason. We will see if they can do this. We all know the post season failures of this team, but in the end we may need the Marleau's and Thornton's to lead the way. Not just Marleau or Thornton, but the enitre team must pick up the slack too. It will require a team effort.

At this point, honestly my attitude is "Wake Me When the Playoffs are here..."...If they do well there, few will remember what's happened from 3/1 to 3/22....

Kingshark49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

My point is, he is not playing better because he is still as inconsistent as he was last year.