HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in hunt for Zuccarello-Aasen (Toronto Star: Signs with NYR?)

Old
04-27-2010, 03:43 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Woodlief on MZA:

Quote:
Two seasons ago it was Fabian Brunnström. Last year it was Jonas "the Monster" Gustavsson. And this year's most chased European free agent is Norwegian puck wizard Mats Zuccarello-Aasen.

He checks in at a tiny 5-7, 161 pounds, which is obviously far from the ideal prototype for an NHL player. But he has continued to develop and impress during his second season with MoDo in the Swedish league. The slick 22-year-old left wing won the league scoring title with 23-41—64 totals in 55 games, and was one of the few bright spots for a team that underachieved a great deal.

Zuccarello-Aasen also played very well for Norway at the Olympics as the hype really started to grow, and has continued on a torrid pace ever since.

Already there are rumored to be as many as six to seven NHL teams involved in negotiations for Mighty-Mite, who reminds some of a poor man's Mats Naslund.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_N.htm

Really nothing groundbreaking, but I dont think he is as strong as Naslund was on his skates. Mind you, i saw Naslund play for about 7 years and he was definitely one of the top-5 playmakers in the NHL behind guys named Wayne and Mario.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Woodlief on MZA:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_N.htm

Really nothing groundbreaking, but I dont think he is as strong as Naslund was on his skates. Mind you, i saw Naslund play for about 7 years and he was definitely one of the top-5 playmakers in the NHL behind guys named Wayne and Mario.

I'll take a poor-mans Naslund (In his prime years, of coarse) everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'd like to thank this writer for my new avatar.

Time to go watch some Stanley Goblet Playoffs.
I might have to borrow that one haha.

I was thinking about trying to get one, but I dont know how to edit anything for my life lol.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'll take a poor-mans Naslund (In his prime years, of coarse) everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3913

This Naslund. Who ive actually never seen play

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3913

This Naslund. Who ive actually never seen play
Ooo. I still like! lol Seems like he had a pretty good NHL career.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Comparison makes a little more sense considering Mats is the same size as MZA.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Comparison makes a little more sense considering Mats is the same size as MZA.
Two 40+ goal seasons. One 30+ goal seaon. Five 20+ goal seasons. One can only dream he would be anywhere close to that.

Old
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well, of course, it was a higher scoring era.

If MZA turns into 25 goal 60 point guy I will be a pretty happy guy.

20 goal 45 point I will be satisfied.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
broadwayblue

So is it unofficially official that he is in fact signing with the Rangers at some point?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So is it unofficially official that he is in fact signing with the Rangers at some point?
All indications point that way. Nothing can be announced until the World Championships end in late May.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

If MZA ends up half as good as Mats Naslund, we'll be dancing in the streets. Naslund was incredible to watch. If you ever see some film of him, you'll seriously consider throwing the "You need size in the NHL" argument out the window and start drafting every midget you can find.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
All indications point that way. Nothing can be announced until the World Championships end in late May.
I'm just waiting for when he actually signs with Toronto and there's a slew of "way to go Sather! Another one gets away! fire Sather! he couldn't get it done, why didn't he just offer more than the Leafs?!"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM
modopopcorn

Send a message via MSN to modopopcorn
I just got back from Fjallraven Center, the club is selling some equipment from this past season and I managed to get hold of Mats game-used stick, I only paid just under $70 for it, I also bought Hannu Pikkarainens stick for a friend, Hannu is 6'1¨ and plays with the stick that has a HUGE knob for the right hand, MZAs stick is loooong.

ps. ignore all the trophies on the floor, just inherted them from my great grandfather that used to coach Peter Foberg

modopopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Hold onto that stick! If MZA makes it in the US, the value will increase significantly! So no using it in pickup games.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
modopopcorn

Send a message via MSN to modopopcorn
Sondre just promised me to fix MZA signature on the stick, sweet=)

Last edited by modopopcorn: 04-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
modopopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Am I the only one that would compare MZA to Theo Fleury? He absolutly ran show in one of the best leauges in the world, and he is mad gritty for his size. I think that he is going to be successful, I mean if the Red Wings (one of the best European scouting teams in the NHL) wanted him, then we know we got someone that is going to blossem into something worth while. Also Lundquivst is gunna have another Scandenavian friend he can chill out with lol

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Am I the only one that would compare MZA to Theo Fleury? He absolutly ran show in one of the best leauges in the world, and he is mad gritty for his size. I think that he is going to be successful, I mean if the Red Wings (one of the best European scouting teams in the NHL) wanted him, then we know we got someone that is going to blossem into something worth while. Also Lundquivst is gunna have another Scandenavian friend he can chill out with lol
Eh...maybe a little bit, but very, very little.

He's got a ton of skill and is a little chippy, but nowhere near as chippy as Theo, and theo had quite a few more pounds on his body then MZA.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Nah, think Pat Kane in terms of style.

Prucha were more Fleury like then MZA. MZA, compared to like a Zherdev, have awsome workethic et c. In terms of workethic, think MZA=Dawes. But there is a big jump in terms of feistyness to Theo Fleury. In that sense Fleury were more like Steve Downie.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So, I've been avoiding this thread for as long as I could.. Partly because I always hear crap about signing guys from Europe and they almost always never work out (for the Rangers).

BUT,
What's the deal with this guy?

Potential? - Top 6? Top 3?
Skill right now? - Is he a top 6 guy right now? Another 3rd liner with potential to be better?
Expected salary? We talking 2m/yr? 1m/yr?
How many years? 3-4yr? or 1-2 yr?
Type of player? Playmaker, Sniper, Grinder.. etc.. Hybrid??
I can understand that its confusing.

But, in the end its exactly the same when it comes to drafted prospects from NA. Like a scouting report of a 3rd rounder can soundly exactly the same as a scouting report about a 3rd overall pick. Both can have awesome playmaking ability et c. Both can compare to great players.

The key is to evaluate at what level a kid is. Like there is a difference between signing a Blake Wheeler and signing a like a undrafted kid from the CHL.

For example, Ilkka Heikkinen and Jarmo Immonen did well in the finnish league, but they were never able to establish themselfs on the finnish national team. They were never able to do well in the WCH's. Compare that to a Valteri Fillpula or Henrik Zetterberg who stared at the national team level -- and its no suprise which two did well and which to did not. Kim Johnson before coming to NY stared at the WCH's, there were no suprsise that he went on to become a de facto nr 1 D for several teams in the NHL. The same was the case with Marek Zidlicky.

MZA is definitely in the Kim J, Fillpula, Zidlicky and co group. He is the highest scoring forigner ever in the SEL. He have done well on the national team level. He is very far from the Jämtin group.

In terms of estimated impact, think Kristian Huselius for now. I could be wrong, but I can not imagine that MZA at the very least would not have the same impact in the NHL as like that Giroux kid in Philly.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I can understand that its confusing.

But, in the end its exactly the same when it comes to drafted prospects from NA. Like a scouting report of a 3rd rounder can soundly exactly the same as a scouting report about a 3rd overall pick. Both can have awesome playmaking ability et c. Both can compare to great players.

The key is to evaluate at what level a kid is. Like there is a difference between signing a Blake Wheeler and signing a like a undrafted kid from the CHL.

For example, Ilkka Heikkinen and Jarmo Immonen did well in the finnish league, but they were never able to establish themselfs on the finnish national team. They were never able to do well in the WCH's. Compare that to a Valteri Fillpula or Henrik Zetterberg who stared at the national team level -- and its no suprise which two did well and which to did not. Kim Johnson before coming to NY stared at the WCH's, there were no suprsise that he went on to become a de facto nr 1 D for several teams in the NHL. The same was the case with Marek Zidlicky.

MZA is definitely in the Kim J, Fillpula, Zidlicky and co group. He is the highest scoring forigner ever in the SEL. He have done well on the national team level. He is very far from the Jämtin group.

In terms of estimated impact, think Kristian Huselius for now. I could be wrong, but I can not imagine that MZA at the very least would not have the same impact in the NHL as like that Giroux kid in Philly.
The other thing is, as much as I and other Finns hate to admit it, there's a difference these days between being leading scorer in the SEL and being leading scorer in the SM-Liiga...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Anything new on this yet?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

So we got to wait another what, 3-4 days till we can officially sign him?

Can't wait to officially see him up at NYR.com

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

If im not mistaking, I don't think it can be announced until june 1.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Levitate

Then he'll sign with Toronto

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Cmox

This is an article from 6 days ago
http://www.vg.no/sport/ishockey/arti...artid=10006265

He's a translated part. Basically more of the same old stuff.
Quote:
Likes to play

- Mats and I have a part in common. And not without reason that it is we who always goes the last of the ice after training. We like to play us a little extra on the ice, "said Mathis Olimb.

PS: Mats Zuccarello Aasen would - or could - still can not say whether he agrees with New York Rangers on his contract with the NHL club, as the local newspaper in Örnsköldsvik stated yesterday.

But everything indicates that they are. Backen Jonas Holøs (22) should also be agreed with the Colorado Avalanche.
edit:
Found a Swedish article from May 13. Who knows how accurate it is?
http://allehanda.se/sport/ishockey/1...w-york-rangers

Quote:
Zuccarello Aasen agree with the New York Rangers
ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Modo-star Mats Zuccarello Aasen has - as reported to the sport - decided to sign a two-year contract with the New York Rangers after the World Cup.
- They agree, "says a source.
Related
A large number of NHL clubs, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit and Toronto, but during the past season his eyes for Mats Zuccarello Aasen has been able to pick and choose between the offers after the success of Modo and the Norwegian national team and surrounded transition of rumors recently.
He himself has repeatedly denied that he has decided to leave the Modo to play in the NHL next season - but now confirms one of the sport that his sources are in agreement with the New York Rangers.
- The international transfer rules, which prevent players from odraftade to sign for any NHL club before 23 May, has forced them to lie a bit low, but they are in agreement and he will sign a two-year contract as soon as the World Cup is over.
Modo can not be solved without a lot more than 800 000 kronor in compensation to the New York Rangers.
The sport has attempted Mats Zuccarello Aasen, his agent Erik Ryman and Modo sporting director Fredrik Andersson for a comment.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote