HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Day Trades

Old
03-26-2010, 03:29 AM
tilson23

vCash: 500
Draft Day Trades

To Florida:
Kaberle (4.25 mil - 2011)
Grabovski (2.9 mil - 2011)

To Toronto:
Horton (4 mil - 2013)
2010 2nd RD Pick

With Leopold and Bouwmeester gone over the past two seasons a great offensive defenseman like Kaberle would not hurt the Panthers. Kaberle stays in the east and the Panthers have a good shot at working out a contract over the offseason/season with him. The Leafs get a 24 year old RW/C who is big and young. He has twice hit 60 points and this season would be on pace for over that. He has great potential and seems like he could become a great Burke player. They also offload Grabovski to the Panthers for a 2nd RD pick.

To San Jose:
Stalberg (850k - 2011 RFA)
Aulie (733k - 2012 RFA)

To Toronto:
Rights to Joe Pavelski

San Jose is going to be pinched for cap space come July 1st having to re-sign Marleau and Nabokov and offer considerable raises to RFAs Joe Pavelski and Devon Setoguchi. The leafs give up two good players that can chip in on the cheap which is important for a cap hurting team like the Sharks. The Leafs get a near PPG C/RW who is only 25 years old. The Sharks already made a play like this earlier in the year (Lukowich/Ehrhoff -for- Rahimi/White) to dump salary and this one is more beneficial for them. The leafs have good depth at D and can afford to give up a good prospect in Aulie.

Burke is going to go after Torres as a UFA it seems, and Kadri while doing very well in the OHL should not be penciled into the lineup just yet. Time with the Marlies might do him well.

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Caputi-Pavelski-Horton
Torres-Hanson-Sjostrom
Orr (and whoever)

Beauch-Phaneuf
Komi-Schenn
Finger-Gunnarsson

Giggy
Gustavsson

What do you think?

tilson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Professor Dangles

I... like and dislike this. if that makes any sense

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Predaleafs

i wouldnt do the panthers deal but i have a feeling that a kabby dela will look something like this. i dont put alot of faith in horton but he would be a decent addition. San jose does it but i dont think burke does these deals. Close value. some of the best proposals on the boards from wat ive seen

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:09 AM
facey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
i wouldnt do the panthers deal but i have a feeling that a kabby dela will look something like this. i dont put alot of faith in horton but he would be a decent addition. San jose does it but i dont think burke does these deals. Close value. some of the best proposals on the boards from wat ive seen
you my friend have not watch enough Nathan Horton, the guy is set to break out, pretty typical age for a power-forward to come into form.... currently hes a 30/35 guy, and he's going to get better. I would LOVE to get Horton into the blue and white.

I would say your giving up on Stalberg & Aulie too soon; IMO that move is very unlikely. Pavelski is BEAST btw, one of my favourite under-rated NHLers. Dunno if you remember this, but he centered for kessel in the olympics

facey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Phaneuf is Phaneuf

I like the Pavelski trade but not the Horton one. I think we can get more for Kabby than Horton, and if we can't then I'd rather just keep Kaberle anyways.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Dave from Vancouver

I like both deals, we add two top six forwards, but I don't know if Florida would like the age swap, and I don't think San Jose do that unless they're really struggling to resign Pavelski.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Larcos_Unal

It was alright til I say Finger in there, there is absolutely no way in hell that Jeff Finger comes anywhere near an NHL rink next year.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Phaneuf is Phaneuf

ya, I would pencil in Oreskovic over Finger, especially if we were to end up signing Pavelski to what is probly a reasonably hefty contract.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
pspot

I definitely think the Kaberle to the Panthers makes sense for both teams but not for Horton or Weiss. They are having a great year and I'd love them on the Leafs but don't see why Florida would be moving either of them.

For the Leafs, Panthers have a lot of young talent and some large contracts they may want to move, I don't think they need or really can (financially) do a full rebuild. Leafs can target some of their young talent and/or picks to take on some of the long term contracts that maybe aren't meeting the value they signed to. Specifically Ballard, Booth and Olesz.

A combination of Ballard, Booth, Olesz + a player like Mattias, Markstrom
I'd love the Leafs to get their hands on that FLA first but that's probably a stretch but maybe their is enough financial pressure to pay to move some of those contracts.

For the Panthers, Kaberle would be a great fit. They have a bunch of young Cezch players in Frolik, Olesz, Repik, Kreps and then especially Salak their young goalie. Adding a vet like Kaberle would be great for that team. He has a history with McCabe. He's not a long term commitment.They'd be competitive next year which I think is very important. If it doesn't work out or if the young guys have developed enough they aren't tied in long term. If it does work I think he would resign there.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
samwitch

I like what we get but I don't neccessarily like what we are giving up, although I do think the trades are pretty fair.

I don't really see why Florida would give up Horton for Kabs and Grabo though.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Lebanese Leaf

I'm not so hot on giving up Stalberg and Aulie for Pavelski, even though I'm a Pavelski fan. I would rather keep the young guys and give Kadri the chance to be a C next year, with Bozak and Pavelski as #1-2 you are not giving him a chance for many years to be a top 6 C.

Otherwise I like it like this:

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Caputi-Kadri-Horton
Stalberg-Hanson-Sjostrom/Mitchell
Orr-Wallin-(someone)

If we get Torres, he could plug that someone spot of take someone off line 3.

Phaneuf-Schenn
Beauch-Gunnar
Komi-Aulie

Gus
Giggy

This team can make playoffs while staying as the toungest team in the league and only getting better, scary thought for the rest of the NHL.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

to buffalo

kaberle
grabs/kulemin
beauchemin

to toronto

derek roy
chris butler
buffalo's 1st 2010 (23rd)

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
embracedbias

I think Pavelski has priority over Marleau for San Jose. I don't see it happening.

I also doubt that Florida would be interested in Kaberle. I was under the impression that they were planning on rebuilding.

What I think will happen is that Washington will lose out in the playoffs, and then make a deal for Kaberle at the draft. I'm not sure what such a deal would look like, but someone like Eric Fehr could be involved. I can see Burke trying to get Carlson, but I doubt it happens.

Another team that could have interest is Dallas. Burke would likely have interest in Neal, but the deal might end up being around Brad Richards. Something like Kaberle and Grabovski for Richards and a 2nd could work out. Burke would then have to push hard to re-sign him.

A third possibility would be Boston. We might need to take a schmuck like Ryder back, but a deal could be worked out surrounding Colborne and Boston's 1st. Something like Ryder, Colborne, Boston's 1st 2010, Boston's 3rd 2010 for Kaberle.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
to buffalo

kaberle
grabs/kulemin
beauchemin

to toronto

derek roy
chris butler
Kulemin's name needs to stop being mentioned in any proposal.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:54 AM
ansah

Quote:
to buffalo

kaberle
grabs/kulemin
beauchemin

to toronto

derek roy
chris butler
it's unbelievable someone would even consider trading Kulimen

Last edited by ansah: 03-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.
ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:58 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

thats why i placed the / in between them. chances are we would most likely have to include kulemin to land roy/butler and buffalo's 1st.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
samwitch

Quote:
to buffalo

kaberle
grabs/kulemin
beauchemin

to toronto

derek roy
chris butler
Over payment from Buffalo

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't see what's so special about what the Leafs are getting back. Roy to me is at the same level as Stajan offensively, and already in his prime. Sure he may be more gritty and better defensively, but if we're giving up Kaberle I would rather do it for a higher pick or a player who has the chance to be a better top 6 C than what we have. I think Bozak can become better than Roy too.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
how about this then

kabs
grabs

for

roy
butler

Old
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilson23 View Post
To Florida:
Kaberle (4.25 mil - 2011)
Grabovski (2.9 mil - 2011)

To Toronto:
Horton (4 mil - 2013)
2010 2nd RD Pick

With Leopold and Bouwmeester gone over the past two seasons a great offensive defenseman like Kaberle would not hurt the Panthers. Kaberle stays in the east and the Panthers have a good shot at working out a contract over the offseason/season with him. The Leafs get a 24 year old RW/C who is big and young. He has twice hit 60 points and this season would be on pace for over that. He has great potential and seems like he could become a great Burke player. They also offload Grabovski to the Panthers for a 2nd RD pick.

To San Jose:
Stalberg (850k - 2011 RFA)
Aulie (733k - 2012 RFA)

To Toronto:
Rights to Joe Pavelski

San Jose is going to be pinched for cap space come July 1st having to re-sign Marleau and Nabokov and offer considerable raises to RFAs Joe Pavelski and Devon Setoguchi. The leafs give up two good players that can chip in on the cheap which is important for a cap hurting team like the Sharks. The Leafs get a near PPG C/RW who is only 25 years old. The Sharks already made a play like this earlier in the year (Lukowich/Ehrhoff -for- Rahimi/White) to dump salary and this one is more beneficial for them. The leafs have good depth at D and can afford to give up a good prospect in Aulie.

Burke is going to go after Torres as a UFA it seems, and Kadri while doing very well in the OHL should not be penciled into the lineup just yet. Time with the Marlies might do him well.

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Caputi-Pavelski-Horton
Torres-Hanson-Sjostrom
Orr (and whoever)

Beauch-Phaneuf
Komi-Schenn
Finger-Gunnarsson

Giggy
Gustavsson

What do you think?
If Pavelski is a salary dump then why are we giving so much to get him. I wouldn't give up on Stallberg yet. I think giving a team cap space is worth more than we think at times.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
Kulemin's name needs to stop being mentioned in any proposal.
Absolutely!! Kulemin is a great commodity. You don't add him for nothing. Kulemin will be a fixture in TO for years. He's big, strong, bangs, knows when to chip, makes great passes and crashes the net and digs pucks out of corners. He just might be there most complete young player. All over the ice he is good. You want to add Grabo in a proposal that is fine but it is ridiculous at add Kulemin in any proposal.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
I think Pavelski has priority over Marleau for San Jose. I don't see it happening.

I also doubt that Florida would be interested in Kaberle. I was under the impression that they were planning on rebuilding.

What I think will happen is that Washington will lose out in the playoffs, and then make a deal for Kaberle at the draft. I'm not sure what such a deal would look like, but someone like Eric Fehr could be involved. I can see Burke trying to get Carlson, but I doubt it happens.

Another team that could have interest is Dallas. Burke would likely have interest in Neal, but the deal might end up being around Brad Richards. Something like Kaberle and Grabovski for Richards and a 2nd could work out. Burke would then have to push hard to re-sign him.

A third possibility would be Boston. We might need to take a schmuck like Ryder back, but a deal could be worked out surrounding Colborne and Boston's 1st. Something like Ryder, Colborne, Boston's 1st 2010, Boston's 3rd 2010 for Kaberle.
Sounds more plausible......I was hoping the deal I heard at the trade deadline with Wsh with Fleischman, Alzner and their first pic.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
to buffalo

kaberle
grabs/kulemin
beauchemin

to toronto

derek roy
chris butler
Why on God's green earth are people still putting Kulemin's name in trades. THis trade is a NO NO NO NO. Why would you want to give up Kulemin who's progressing into a far better player than I ever thought he would be, and our top trading asset in Kaberle for basically Derek Roy, (how does Chris Butler and Buf's 1st rounder garner so much value????) Ohh and I forgot they get Beauchemin AND Grabovski, maybe we could add in Schenn to make it a bit more lopsided. LOL this proposal is laughable.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
madpooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
Call me crazy, but I don't see what's so special about what the Leafs are getting back. Roy to me is at the same level as Stajan offensively, and already in his prime. Sure he may be more gritty and better defensively, but if we're giving up Kaberle I would rather do it for a higher pick or a player who has the chance to be a better top 6 C than what we have. I think Bozak can become better than Roy too.
Even though Roy has had 4 seasons that he scored more than Stajans career high. As for not as good as Bozak you know when Roy was Bozaks age he had an 80 pt season.

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
BillysDeadMcgarnagle

Off season...Lock 'em up!

I cant see why, for the life of me,GMs don't try to lock in young talent at a really low rate early. For example, Kulemin and Gunnarsson can both be major factors in this clubs future. With this in mind, why isn't Burke willing to offer both a 4-5 year deal at 1.5ish per? get them at a low cap hit and just watch them grow.

Have to admit if one thing makes me really optimistic is there is plenty of cap space for burke to get these young guys in. With Giggy under contract for one more year it just ties up money BB might have been tempted to waste on a free agent.

Also, with regards to the FLA trade suggestions, throw Grabo in there and get Weiss back if we can, although with the condition of Booth I doubt they can afford to lose another decent young forward.

Cheers

BillysDeadMcgarnagle is offline   Reply With Quote