HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

How We Match Up Against The Other Playoff Teams In The East

Old
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

vCash: 500
How We Match Up Against The Other Playoff Teams In The East

Since there's no real chance we will miss the playoffs, I think we can safely compare us to the rest of the Eastern Conference. Obviously, the playoffs is all about matchups, but I decided to assess every team in playoff contention. Ultimately, we could end up playing any team in the conference at some point in the playoffs. And I'm gonna try and keep my focus to the defense of each team, seeing how it's well known that the blueline for us the weakest part of this team.

Capitals: Despite the bad rep they have gotten, it's not the most awful defense in the league. With that being said, I still say it's a below average defense. And then you look at their weakness in net as well, that below average defense looks even worse. We all obviously know what this team is capable of offensively.

How do we match up?: As mediocre of a defense we have, it's still better than the Caps in my opinion. And the Caps might have a slightly better offense, but our offense with the players we got can go toe-to-toe with theirs. We also have the huge advantage between the pipes.

Sabres: These guys are a pretty balanced team. They're nothing special offensively. And as far their defense goes, Tyler Myers is the only real stud. It's an above average defense along with a great goalie.

How do we match up?: We match up very well with these guys because we just have the better roster of players. Our offense is deeper. Brodeur vs. Miller is a little bit of an edge to us, but Miller is definitely capable of taking them far. Defensively, the edge goes to them slightly.

Penguins: Crosby and Malkin we all know about. Besides Poni, they don't have any real threats to the left and right of the great centers they have. Guerin is my no means a slouch, but he's old and slow. Defensively, they have some holes. Gonchar being their best d-man isn't the most air-tight guy there is, but he's still pretty solid. Other than him, their blueline isn't too impressive.

How do we match up?: We all know our record against these guys. And we all know it means nothing come playoff time. We obviously can match up with them though. It's just a matter of riding the wave we've been riding into the playoffs if we do happen to play them.

Senators: Overall this team isn't that great. They've benefited from a weak conference, and have ultimately gotten themselves into playoff position. All it takes in this conference is a long winning streak, and you have your playoff position locked down. They certainly don't have a bad team however. They have some good scorers in Spezza and Alf. There's also Kovalev and an underrated Mike Fisher. Getting Matt Cullen at the deadline also makes them pretty strong down the middle. Defensively they have Volchenkov and Phillips.

How do we match up?: If we were to meet up with this team, this is a team we should beat. They don't have a reliable goalie, and we're just better in every aspect.

Canadiens: This team on paper appears pretty dangerous. Offensively, they have some good snipers in Cammy and Gio. They also have good playmakers in Gomez and Plekanec. Markov is their only good defenseman as far as I can tell. Bergeron is good on their powerplay, but is atrocious defensively. Halak is a pretty solid netminder, and in the Olympics played very well.

How do we match up?: They're a good team, and a dangerous team, but they're beatable. They won't be a fun team to play against.

Flyers: This team can give any opponent massive headaches. They have some tough players like Carcillo, and their offensive threats are also tough guys as well. We don't know if and when Carter will be back. They have the kind of team that wears down opponents. They do have a pretty good defense, and probably the best in the Eastern Conference. But they also don't have a goalie.

How do we match up?: This team we should beat. But they have given the Devils a lot of problems. Their physical play, and aggressive play make them a tough opponent. But we do matchup roster wise against these guys, and we should beat them.

Bruins: There's nothing special about the Bruins. They have a great defenseman in Chara, but nothing else. Their best offensive player is hurt, and their best active offensive player is nobody special. Bergeron is very talented, but easily stoppable. Thomas and Rask are good in net though.

How do we match up?: This is a team we should definitely beat.

I also would cover the Thrashers and Rangers seeing how they're right in the thick of playoff contention as well. But we should pretty much know that Atlanta has some obvious flaws, and that the Rangers will live and die by Lundqvist. Both of those teams are going nowhere if they were to make the playoffs.

Last edited by MJB Devils23*: 03-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.
MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the Caps offense is 10x better than ours

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Are people really that worried?

This is the best team we've had since 2003.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post

I'm with you CD. I think we're on the right path. And I think people need to realize there is more parity in the league, and sometimes a team's record is not indicative of how well they can play.

Since Olympic Break

Sharks - W - One of the best teams in the league. Sure it got tight, but we held on

Calgary - L - a much better team than their record indicates. Look at some of their personnel.

Edmonton - L - I can't offer up too much of an excuse, other than their goalie does extremely well against us.

Rangers - W - Not a 'great' team record-wise, but they always play us tough. Very good win

Pittsburgh - Another one of the best, and a bit of a rival. Great win

Isles- L -Record wise a bad team. But they are a bit of a rival, and always play us extremely hard. Much tougher match then the standings would indicate

Boston - W - A solid enough team

Toronto - L - A game we should have won. But again, a team that isn't as bad as you would think.

St. Louis - W - Solid team fighting for their playoff lives. Could have gone either way.

Columbus - W - a team we should have beaten, and we did it. Pretty convincingly

Rangers- L - See above. Unfortunately we came out on the losing end.

Out of that list, I'm only really angry about the Edmonton and Toronto games.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Buffalo has a better defence than you give them credit for.

Washington's offence blows ours out of the water, unless our top 6 starts putting up an absurd number of goals and soon.

We've dominated the Penguins this season, but they still worry me.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

I am psyched, but I have concerns about our game on the road and holding onto leads. The biggest key is Marty, as he goes, we go.
I hope JL gives him some rest by giving him the Philly game off.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Waffle Board

The only games I worry about are against non-playoff teams and, well, we won't have to worry about any of them.

That said, the Flyers and Rangers are the only teams in the East I'd be slightly nervous about facing, and even then, I'd say we are the better team on paper. I'm not worried about this team at all. The only thing I am shaky about is Lemaire's coaching ability.

Waffle Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I'm psyched for the playoffs. We'll be fine.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post

Yes there are!

Not me though LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Every contender has serious flaws. I'm confident in this team's abilities. No first round exit this season.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I'm PUMPED about this team. They are NASSSSSSSSTY! LGD!!

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Well I'm glad we're behind this team.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar

The Rangers will not lose a game in the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Take it to the bank.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
fredthelen

Rangers...not gonna happen
Atlanta..would be a nice story line, but an easy first round opponent.
Boston...we would beat Julienīs squad rather easily
Philadelphia...they have enormous goalie issues, yet they are stacked offensively and have a great D. They would abuse us physically, but we would prevail in the end.
Montreal...Marty...nuff said (My top choice as first round opponent. I just love NJ vs Montreal games, especially because of the atmosphere in Montreal and MArtys history)
Ottawa: There is no way they beat us again in the playoffs
Buffallo: I donīt like the prospect of playing Ryan Miller, but I think we would beat them.
Pittsburgh: WE have obliterated them in the regular season. REgular season means jack, I know. Still, we are in their heads and have their numbers. We would kick Sid out of the playoffs. I just donīt see them going all the way after 2 runs.

Brings us to Washington. They are the only team I am rather afraid of. Then again, so far, Marty >>> AO.

I believe we will come out on top in the end. It is the Western Conference teams that ight pose a larger threat to our chances of winning Lord Stanley, but first thngs first, I would be delighted if we beat all the Eastern teams. But I believe it will happen.

fredthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

The teams I fear are the Caps, Sabres and believe it or not, the Sens would be a tough series for us.

I know our record against the Pens means nothing come playoffs, but the Devils seem to have plenty of confidence when playing them and the Devils and Marty may be in their heads. I also believe that the Devils really enjoying playing against that finess defense.

Montreal would also be a tough series, but Marty would go all out to beat his hometown team.

Philly, even with a healthy Carter, they have the worse goaltending of any potential playoffs team.

Boston, not enough offense and they have Julien as their coach.

Rangers, please, they should be golfing after last night, but, at least they won't get a lottery pick.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
The Rangers will not lose a game in the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Take it to the bank.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Philly won't have Leighton or Carter back for the first round, unless they rush back from their injuries. I have a hard time believing they'd advance. But it's possible, and if they get Carter back they could be dangerous.

Old
03-26-2010, 04:19 PM
CerebralGenesis

I won't kill the buzz in here so I'll leave it at this: We can do damage in the playoffs if :

Our Defense (teamwise even) doesn't blow up in the end of games
AND
Our top 6 doesn't decide to randomly take a game off like they have in the past 3 months.

Other than that anything could happen in the playoffs. I'll leave the confidence to you guys since I don't have much for this team.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
kiwidevil

We haven't even seen this team hit full stride yet since the Kovy trade (partly to blame are JL's lines, and line up decisions).
When it clicks, I'd like to see any team shut down Parise, Kovy and Elias. With a supporting cast of Zajac, Clarkson, Zubrus and Langs.
Martin is back with a bang and Greene I feel is resting up before the playoffs.
Also the mastermind in net.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
DJN1223

I definitley think this team can go far. Kovy is starting to catch fire, he is going to be huge come playoff time.

DJN1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Do we really need one of these threads after EVERY loss?

We are in second place in the Eastern Conference. We lost a game to the Rangers that could have went either way, very easily.

I think sometimes people forget that this isn't XBox360 hockey.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:03 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

IT'S NOT????? Damn....And I was going to "edit" each player's abilities to 99, too.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:14 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

I think 99% of the members on here are optimistic, as well they should be.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

i'm not worried

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
I think 99% of the members on here are optimistic, as well they should be.
I'd put that number around 70-80%.

We have our share of rotten apples.

Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote