HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How We Match Up Against The Other Playoff Teams In The East

Old
04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Ottawa will be a tough series only if Elliot/Leclaire play out of their minds. Marty has been good lately, and our offence should be good enough. They don't really have anything that scares me.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
CerebralGenesis

Problem is our offense is pretty streaky and when they don't show up, they really don't show up.

Look at st.louis, philly, boston, fla from the past few weeks. These teams aren't sieves but there's no reason we should have struggled that badly against these teams.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

The constant shuffling of the lines is not helping the streakiness at all. The lines stayed the same for two games and we destroyed the former Whalers and Atlanta. Lemaire changed the lines against Florida, and we get hosed.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

clemmer was the only reason we lost last night. anyone who says otherwise is out of their mind. i can't even count the number of prime shots we got on goal that he miraculously stopped

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The constant shuffling of the lines is not helping the streakiness at all. The lines stayed the same for two games and we destroyed the former Whalers and Atlanta. Lemaire changed the lines against Florida, and we get hosed.
The Devils had over 40 shots on net. I don't think line juggling was an issue.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The Devils had over 40 shots on net. I don't think line juggling was an issue.
I don't like blaming the loss on a hot goalie. With all the weapons in our top 6, we should be able to break through. Last night, we outshot the Panthers, but most of them were not good scoring chances, and we were never really dominating the pace of the game. We never got to most of the rebounds, and the Kovalchuk line was blowing chances left and right.

Once the ZZZ line and the Kovalchuk-Elias duo were reunited, we suddenly started playing with more urgency and generated more quality chances. I don't think that's a coincidence. And if Lemaire would leave the lines together for 3 games in a row, we might be able to tell for sure.

The inconsistency is worrying. And Lemaire's answer is to change the lines incessantly. I know he won't stop doing that, but I just hope he makes the right changes at the right times in the playoffs.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I don't like blaming the loss on a hot goalie. With all the weapons in our top 6, we should be able to break through. Last night, we outshot the Panthers, but most of them were not good scoring chances, and we were never really dominating the pace of the game. We never got to most of the rebounds, and the Kovalchuk line was blowing chances left and right.

Once the ZZZ line and the Kovalchuk-Elias duo were reunited, we suddenly started playing with more urgency and generated more quality chances. I don't think that's a coincidence. And if Lemaire would leave the lines together for 3 games in a row, we might be able to tell for sure.

The inconsistency is worrying. And Lemaire's answer is to change the lines incessantly. I know he won't stop doing that, but I just hope he makes the right changes at the right times in the playoffs.
Well, regardless of whether you like to blame the loss on a hot goalie, it's hard to chastise an offense that puts up 40 shots and gets a lot of great chances. Inevitably there will be nights when the opponent's goalie is just lucky and/or out of this world good.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:

Old
04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
With Sutter it was line matching. That killed us.

If Lemaire kills us with this asinine line-juggling, I'm going to be really upset.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I agree that the line juggling isn't a good, but I really don't think we're going to have problems with it in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure he's trying to find combos that work together well so that in the playoffs, he'll have more options if our offense starts cooling off or if our lines start blowing it defensively or w/e. Sutter did the exact opposite, he stuck to his plan of line matching and didn't dare change the lines, and it cost us. I can't imagine Jacques shuffling the lines this much during the playoffs, he's got to ride the hot lines and switch them up when they don't work.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

a good thing*... i can't edit

Old
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
I agree that the line juggling isn't a good, but I really don't think we're going to have problems with it in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure he's trying to find combos that work together well so that in the playoffs, he'll have more options if our offense starts cooling off or if our lines start blowing it defensively or w/e. Sutter did the exact opposite, he stuck to his plan of line matching and didn't dare change the lines, and it cost us. I can't imagine Jacques shuffling the lines this much during the playoffs, he's got to ride the hot lines and switch them up when they don't work.
Lemaire isn't suddenly going to stop tinkering once we hit the playoffs, I fear. He'll keep needlessly breaking up lines that are performing well, in the name of "balance" or to get a slumping player going. He's been doing it all year, and we've been reasonably successful with (despite?) it, so why would he change his methods now?

I just hope he's smart enough to leave well enough alone. It doesn't matter if we have to rely on one line, as long as we keep winning.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:30 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Lemaire isn't suddenly going to stop tinkering once we hit the playoffs, I fear. He'll keep needlessly breaking up lines that are performing well, in the name of "balance" or to get a slumping player going. He's been doing it all year, and we've been reasonably successful with (despite?) it, so why would he change his methods now?

I just hope he's smart enough to leave well enough alone. It doesn't matter if we have to rely on one line, as long as we keep winning.
I know people are pissed about the line juggling, but I have trust in Lemaire, which is on this board. Line juggling has many positives that many seem to ignore: it complicates for the opposing team's coach ( just imagine them scratching their heads in how to play the Devil's lines...ehhh, which lines?) and it makes the players more flexible. Last year, entering playoff, the ZZPops line wasn't working too well, and then we were in some trouble because of it.

I say we are so much better prepared this season than last, thanks to...Lemaire.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
kiwidevil

If the set lines don't work. We are pretty ****ed if no one has experience with a few other combo's available. What a better time to try it than the last few games of the season with a PO spot secured?

It shows Lemaire is preparing for the big part of the season, not just games that don't mean alot.

Not alot of momentum can be gained this late and is probably an overrated thing considering the different nature from regular season to playoffs.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't mind if Lemaire juggles lines until kingdom come, as long as we are producing, and more importantly, winning. But it's kind of ridiculous when he takes apart a line he knows works.

I would have so much more confidence in Lemaire if the team could have had some sustained winning streak in the second half of the season. But we haven't won 3 straight games since December. You don't win a Cup playing .500 hockey.

Old
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I know people are pissed about the line juggling, but I have trust in Lemaire, which is on this board. Line juggling has many positives that many seem to ignore: it complicates for the opposing team's coach ( just imagine them scratching their heads in how to play the Devil's lines...ehhh, which lines?) and it makes the players more flexible. Last year, entering playoff, the ZZPops line wasn't working too well, and then we were in some trouble because of it.

I say we are so much better prepared this season than last, thanks to...Lemaire.
The thing is that when things are going well, Lemaire will shuffle the lines but when things aren't going our way, he'll leave the "new lines" intact untill there's 5 minutes left to play in the 3rd period.

Edit: I just re-read my post and started bleeding from the ear !!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
CerebralGenesis

Unfortunately any success, this past week for example, is essentially going to be from the goaltending. Our D is ok I suppose but they aren't anything to be proud of and our offense is streaky as hell. This may be the line juggling or whatnot, but it cannot happen as often as it is.

I don't buy the goalie playing hot against us every game, if we weren't in the bottom of the league in scoring goals that may have merit. We just doesn't score that much, regardless of who our top 6 is.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
vikash1987

I'm pretty confident that Lemaire will begin the process of descrambling the lines and committing to ZZPops, Kovy-Elias-Zubrus, etc.----the question I have is whether he will wait until the start of the playoffs to do so.

vikash1987 is offline   Reply With Quote