HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HDTV Screen Tearing

Old
03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
HDTV Screen Tearing

So I'm getting some screen tearing on the upper third of my HDTV when I play Xbox.

This is a photoshop of what I'm seeing (exaggerated to stand out):

It flickers and jumps around the top third of the screen. It happens when I turn sharply or look around quickly in something like BF:BC2. I don't think it's a Bad Company issue, because I've noticed it in other games like Fallout 3.

Things I've tried:

-Switching from HDMI to component
-Using a different game
-Reinstalling to hardrive
-Playing from disc
-Playing another disc
-Using another xbox
-Switching from 1080i to 720p
-Updating Firmware on TV

Anything else I can try, or is my TV just broken? Or is it something else?

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Sounds like a refresh rate issue with your TV, i've seen this before when testing games on various hardware setups, although its pretty rare (i've only seen it on Toshiba TV's)

Is there anywhere within your TV settings to adjust the refresh rate of the TV? Other than the things you mentioned trying, that's all that I can think of.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:11 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

I don't think so, but I'll look. It's a Sharp TV, BTW.

Old
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

What Sharp model?

I'm just taking a wild stab at this but do you have your PS3 outputting in 1080P (assuming your TV is 1080P compatible). Can you try setting it to 720P and see if that has any effect on the issue?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

The TV is model number LC-32SB24U.

It's an Xbox.

My T.V. is not 1080p. Changing between 1080i and 720p yielded no results.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Maybe it's the xbox, and not the tv.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 1920
I was thinking it might be the input slots on the TV, but if it happens with both HDMI and component then it most likely isn't that.

Does it only happen with your Xbox, or does it happen with anything you plug into your input slots? If possible, try a friend's Xbox, I'm not sure if a DVD player would be of any use, but you should try it anyway.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:10 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

I tried it with my brother's Xbox, and it happened almost immediately.

Old
03-27-2010, 02:16 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Prob the TV then and can't imagine there's much you can do it about it.

Old
03-27-2010, 04:11 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Well I happen to have the extended warranty for the T.V. (Bought by someone else), so I'll give Best Buy a call, then.

Old
03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Actually I and some friends of mine have noticed tearing on Bad Company 2 as well and my tv shouldn't have much issues with such as I bought it last December (37" LG LH4000 Full HD).

Last edited by Jussi: 03-28-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Can this tearing just sometimes be the result of a feed from the TV station or a commercial or something? I saw a very minor tear in the northwest corner of my screen for the first time today. I am very attentive to weird things my HDTV does so this was a first. So I'm thinking it was just the transmission of the commercial and bad pixelation. The TV is nearly three years old and the panel is 2 years old (had to get it replaced for banding, no issues sense.)

One thing my TV does a lot on a certain station is a blur effect. When it loads up, everything seems slightly blurred and not as crisp, and then it 100 percent focuses within 2-3 seconds. But it's only the one station I see this on, my local CBS through the cable box. It's 1080i on the box, and I use a HDMI cable. Any other 1080i broadcasters, it doesn't do this.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Well I happen to have the extended warranty for the T.V. (Bought by someone else), so I'll give Best Buy a call, then.
I don't want to be a Negative Nancy here but they will not do anything for you over page/screen tearing.... You are either going to have to live with it or consider upgrading to a better set in the future.... In the mean time you could probably get more information about what's going on by visiting www.avsforum.com and looking up your particular model's thread in their LCD subforum.

Old
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't want to be a Negative Nancy here but they will not do anything for you over page/screen tearing.... You are either going to have to live with it or consider upgrading to a better set in the future.... In the mean time you could probably get more information about what's going on by visiting www.avsforum.com and looking up your particular model's thread in their LCD subforum.
Best Buy's PSP should cover that, I'd think... assuming it's the panel that's messed up.

Old
03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Best Buy's PSP should cover that, I'd think... assuming it's the panel that's messed up.
I have to disagree... That would rest on the assumption that there's a particular part of the TV that's defective or malfunctioning.... To me it just sounds like his particular set is not suited to handle the demands this game is placing on it. The question is this, if he bought the exact same set again, and tested it, would it exhibit this exact problem again? I would bet that it would... The set is functioning correctly, just not for this particular game and the problem is intermittent (and linked to specific games/situations) so it's not happening across the board for all viewing....

To me this is almost analogous to the motion blurring that LCD owners with older sets would experience in the past and that's certainly sometime that a warranty could not cover/address.

There's lots of things that can happen to a TV that are not addressed by warranty coverage... For example my Sharp Aquos (LC-46D82U) has banding which is faint bars of light running vertically down the panel but it's hardly noticeable and a non-issue for me but it doesn't prevent the set from functioning and cannot be repaired/fixed so there's nothing that can be done. Other LCD sets can experience clouding in the corners which is fairly common, and again, users might not like it but you can't address it with a warranty.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:55 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

I described the problem to them on the phone, and someone is coming on Friday.

I'll see what happens.

And if not, I'll go get another TV, since they're so cheap now.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
I have to disagree... That would rest on the assumption that there's a particular part of the TV that's defective or malfunctioning.... To me it just sounds like his particular set is not suited to handle the demands this game is placing on it. The question is this, if he bought the exact same set again, and tested it, would it exhibit this exact problem again? I would bet that it would... The set is functioning correctly, just not for this particular game and the problem is intermittent (and linked to specific games/situations) so it's not happening across the board for all viewing....

To me this is almost analogous to the motion blurring that LCD owners with older sets would experience in the past and that's certainly sometime that a warranty could not cover/address.

There's lots of things that can happen to a TV that are not addressed by warranty coverage... For example my Sharp Aquos (LC-46D82U) has banding which is faint bars of light running vertically down the panel but it's hardly noticeable and a non-issue for me but it doesn't prevent the set from functioning and cannot be repaired/fixed so there's nothing that can be done. Other LCD sets can experience clouding in the corners which is fairly common, and again, users might not like it but you can't address it with a warranty.
I worked at Best Buy for a year.

This should be covered. At least in Best Buy Canada.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
invictus

Quote:

I'll see what happens.

How much is a decent set nowadays? Been almost a year since I bought mine, and I'm worried to check prices since it'll likely piss me off

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
How much is a decent set nowadays? Been almost a year since I bought mine, and I'm worried to check prices since it'll likely piss me off
Depends what you consider decent.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

For gamers buying a new tv, this one is helpful: http://www.dday.it/redazione/220/DDa....html#pagina-2

The smaller the input lag (game), the better. Though even 50 ms is barely noticeable for the average gamer.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:31 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I worked at Best Buy for a year.

This should be covered.
Under what grounds?

If there's not a particular part of the TV that's failing/malfunctioning, how could his TV be repaired? What if every model of this particular set exhibits this problem when playing the game, how would the BB Extended Warranty cover that?

I don't see how this could be addressed by any warranty.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Under what grounds?

If there's not a particular part of the TV that's failing/malfunctioning, how could his TV be repaired? What if every model of this particular set exhibits this problem when playing the game, how would the BB Extended Warranty cover that?

I don't see how this could be addressed by any warranty.
Because Best Buy guarantees the performance of the TV. This is a performance issue.

It depends on the manager at the time, but unless there's some physical damage, it should be covered if it's complained about long enough.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

I am somewhat dubious about the claims it makes but I found this on another site:

https://www.pixelprotector.com/index.php

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:

I'll see what happens.

How cheap?

My TV is 10 years old ,,,, I really have considered buying a new one but economy is horrid here on South Side of Chicago and I still play my PS2

Is HD so much of a great thing that I should buy a TV?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Because Best Buy guarantees the performance of the TV. This is a performance issue.

It depends on the manager at the time, but unless there's some physical damage, it should be covered if it's complained about long enough.
What are they going to do for him, give him a brand new set that will do the same thing when he brings it home? Unless there's something to fix, I don't see how a warranty can help him....

Certain sets just won't be able to handle graphic intensive games like the one he's playing....