HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your worst moment watching hockey?

Old
03-26-2010, 08:20 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
Your worst moment watching hockey?

I have three:

and

and, of course,

Some of the worst moments of my life, right there. I can't really watch any of them. Hope the videos work.

What's your worst hockey moment?

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
bleedgreen

your first two are on there, but this is no doubt my no 1. i was there.

case it doesnt work... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkY4pL3qmug

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
your first two are on there, but this is no doubt my no 1. i was there.
I love the banner that says "We will follow U wherever U go"...

Too bad some Whalers fans never did.

Old
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
bleedgreen

i cant blame them. im visiting home right now, hockey is dead to them. they never wanted anything else. whalers or nothing. they dont have any idea who plays for who, who any of the stars are. my best friend here was an obsessive whalers fan. he doesnt know who staal is, he barely knows crosby.

if its true baldwin is back in town working on hockey, im happy. id be happy with just calling the ahl team the hartford whalers. that would sell. hell, they were a minor league team half the time anyway. id fly home for opening night. id buy season tix and give them away.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:56 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
if its true baldwin is back in town working on hockey, im happy. id be happy with just calling the ahl team the hartford whalers. that would sell. hell, they were a minor league team half the time anyway. id fly home for opening night. id buy season tix and give them away.
I feel you. I like the AHL team idea. Why not? The NHL will never return to any of the small markets.

I still have a Francis & a Primeau Whalers jersey. Almost burned the Primeau one but decided not to.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I have some oldies growing up as a Wings fan in the "dead wings" era, but that is a distant memory now so I won't bring those up. (although that was just one big long massive disappointment so you came to expect it).

Recent history has to be the loss to Florida on the final game of the season in 07/08 season. I don't think I've ever left an arena so disappointed.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

and

I still hate Detroit.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountJ View Post
I still hate Detroit.
The only reason that 3OT moment wasn't on my list is because...I was asleep for it! Yup. I had a nasty case of strep throat and was heavily medicated for that game and the one before it. Glad I missed watching that live.

Old
03-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

It must have been hard to watch your team leave. I can empathize with that as a Baltimore Colts fan. I remember that snowy night when Irsay packed up the team on those moving vans and stole away to Indy. To this day I see the horseshoe, the colors and think, "that belongs to Baltimore." I want to see the team in Indy have a different name and see the Colts come back home.

It's been strange to be on the recipient side. I'm awfully glad we're here, and we've started building our own Canes chapter to the story. I'd really love to see some kind of reconcilation with the city of Hartford and the Whale fans who couldn't make the transition, but maybe it just hasn't been enough time yet. In another decade the franchise will have been in Raleigh as long as it was in Hartford (well, if you use '79 as the point of demarcation). Maybe by then there will be a Hartford Whalers AHL team and some new amity, I don't know. People have long memories, but time does cure many ills.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Chalk up another for that triple OT loss. The olympics this year sucked a lot too.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:21 PM
potvins4cups

I have a soft spot for whaler, jets, nordiques, north star fans. even though minnesota did get a team back, the wild aren't the north stars. as an islanders fan, i believe we will all be in the same boat with all of you one day. unfortunately.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Losing to Boston in 99.
That final game in 07/08.
USA-Canada this year.
Larionov in 02.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The series against the Devils in 2001. I can hardly remember hating a team as badly as I did that one and feeling totally helpless with all emotion while watching Stevens take down Willis and Francis. I have never been more defeated as a fan than by watching that team systematically and physically destroy the Hurricanes. I thought we'd never be a good team as long as the Devils were around because they'd always be that much better.

I still think the entire 2002 run was predicated on our whole team feeling the same way. Once we beat Jersey, the team knew they were pretty damn good.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Wolfpuck
Not Quite My Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That final game in 07/08.
I was at that game. How in the hell do you lose to Florida with the division/a playoff berth on the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The series against the Devils in 2001. I can hardly remember hating a team as badly as I did that one and feeling totally helpless with all emotion while watching Stevens take down Willis and Francis. I have never been more defeated as a fan than by watching that team systematically and physically destroy the Hurricanes. I thought we'd never be a good team as long as the Devils were around because they'd always be that much better.
God, I was so happy to see the Avalanche win the Cup that year.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
The series against the Devils in 2001. I can hardly remember hating a team as badly as I did that one and feeling totally helpless with all emotion while watching Stevens take down Willis and Francis. I have never been more defeated as a fan than by watching that team systematically and physically destroy the Hurricanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
God, I was so happy to see the Avalanche win the Cup that year.
Hate the Devils. Hate hate hate hate them. I'd rather wear a Larionov Wings jersey...a Claude Lemiex or Courtnall Habs jersey...anything but a Devils one...

But we've sure had our revenge on them, haven't we?

Old
03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
geehaad

Quote:
I was right there with you until the Game 4 win, and ultimately the Game 5 win. I remember thinking about how they could legally get Stevens back...it would keep me from falling asleep. Interestingly, that's how I *really* learned some of the rules...Charging, Interference, Roughing, Boarding, Checking From Behind (honestly I still don't know what that is, mostly because I've never seen it called)...all from the question of how they could get back at him.

But then they won a couple of games and a lot of that helpless feeling went away.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Chalk up another for that triple OT loss. The olympics this year sucked a lot too.
Disagree

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

The final game in 2008 does it for me. The 02 loss to the Wings sucked, but there wasn't any surprise in losing to them, plus they won 4-1 so it was all but a formality really (given the team they had) by game 5. The playoff losses before that stunk too, but I wasn't near as attached to the team as I was post-2003 when I moved to Raleigh.

In 2008 we just seemed invincible. We were on such a roll, and hadn't lost to the Panthers at home in something ridiculous like 18 games. Looking back, I should have obviously seen it coming. That night was the only time I have really been physically ill because of a sporting event. The next day I went down to the RBC Center, quietly got a refund for my playoff tickets, and vowed never to get so emotionally invested in a sports team again.

That lasted a week or two.

03-26-2010, 11:54 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I consumed many alcoholic beverages in 2008 and my roommates still have a video of me ranting on camera for a good 20 minutes straight that night. It wasn't pleasant. It's one thing to lose in that fashion, it's another to lose to a team you've dominated over the past few years. It's an entirely different thing to lose to the Florida Panthers of all teams. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that made their decade.

Now, after this thread, let us never speak of that incident again.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:29 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

The incident we're not mentioning is one, this is another:

Of course, that was tempered by the fact that it didn't wind up costing us the cup. But still a rather crappy moment.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Game 6 was worse for me. Game 5 was awful because it was on home ice and everybody was ready to win it, but it still felt like they had just stolen one out from under our noses, but oh well we'll just win it next time. Then we play the most garbage game of the entire playoffs, and now suddenly WE can be eliminated without winning anything.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:13 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
The only thing that pisses me off about that game anymore is that we now hear endless "if Roloson blah blah blah" ********. Sucked when it happened, but we were up 3-2 heading into game 6 of a series that we were completely dominating and that was more of a completely "wtf just happened?" snap of the moment thing. Game 6 sucked more since they owned the whole game, but then part of me went "there's no way we lose a 3rd in a row after THAT". That one actually was a matter of feeling confident BECAUSE we had been blown out. Had it been close, I would have thought we were in BIG trouble.

Oh, and to any detractors that DO read this, if Roloson is healthy... the Canes still win in 7. There was no way the Oilers were taking game 1 after colapsing the way they did BEFORE he was hurt, taking game 2, taking game 4 where Cam stole the show, or taking game 7.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Joe McGrath

Larianov

After spending my senior prom running around the room trying to get reception on the portable TV someone brought only to see Hull tie the game late. Jump in the limo and listen to the 1st OT, listen to the 2nd OT on the carride to my girlfriend's house, watch Larianov score and collapse on the ground in full formal wear trying not to scream at the top of my lungs and waking up her neighborhood. I was without question the worst prom date ever, and I regret nothing because I figured I'd have a better shot at finding a new girlfriend then the Canes would ever have of getting back to the Cup finals.

Even with that, the worst I actually felt watching a hockey game was when I was injured watching my team play in the state championships without me. I was really young, but I have never felt as bad while watching a hockey game in my life. If they won I would have been happy, before I sound like I was a selfish 8 year old.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
WWAD

Top 2 by a long shot.....

#2 - Losing to Florida in '08. I was so distraught by this one I didn't even watch a single playoff or Stanley Cup game that season.

#1 - Claude MF'ing Lemeioux beating the Whale in game 7. Technically I didn't watch this game, as my parents were watching something else on TV, but I listened to Chuck's call on WTIC and was heartbroken for days.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Anton Antoff

The Mark Howe injury still freaks me out.

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote