HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Your worst moment watching hockey?

Old
03-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I was right there with you until the Game 4 win, and ultimately the Game 5 win. I remember thinking about how they could legally get Stevens back...it would keep me from falling asleep. Interestingly, that's how I *really* learned some of the rules...Charging, Interference, Roughing, Boarding, Checking From Behind (honestly I still don't know what that is, mostly because I've never seen it called)...all from the question of how they could get back at him.

But then they won a couple of games and a lot of that helpless feeling went away.
Checking From Behind, from my understanding, is simply an open ice hit on a guy who has his back turned. You don't see it much because usually they'll call a cross check in that situation. But say for example a player was skating a high speed and turned his back and started skating backwards to receive a pass and a defense plastered him with his shoulder between the opposing skater's back. Also, when a guy gets boarded away from the boards is another example. When you see the numbers, you've got to pull up.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Checking From Behind, from my understanding, is simply an open ice hit on a guy who has his back turned.
I think my confusion lies in seeing that happen a lot and never actually having seen it called.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:18 PM
totalkev

Although I let my mind drift to a very winable series against the Rangers in the Eastern Conference finals, and another very winable series against the Calgary Flames in the Stanley Cup final when Claude Lemieux crushed me and the rest of Whaler Nation, (Montreal went on to win both series 4 games to 1.) my worst moment was Game 3 in 2002. It remains the greatest sporting even I ever attended in person, and I've been to a Super Bowl and NCAA college basketball title game, as well as Game 7 in 2006. There will never be another "first" Final game ever in North Carolina. There is no way to ever duplicate that atmosphere. The way the Canes had been pulling off OT wins that postseason, I just knew somebody would come up big.

In my position at the time, I was able to get into the "pick the guy who's gonna score the OT winner" pool with a lot of hockey people, including ESPN personalities and I had "62 white." When Jaro took the pass from Gelinas for the mini-breakaway at the end of the second OT, my heart skipped a beat. I knew he wouldn't score when he didn't shoot, and instead went for the fake, which would *never* beat Hasek. I was in the Club Ledge with the overflow media and ESPN setup, and I had a perfect view of the open blocker side high. I knew that was going to be our last chance.

Plus, I had to go into the room to talk to the guys after that one. Very painful. Almost cried.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:04 PM
snakepliskin

worse moment was in the 3 ot game in 02 but not the larianov goal it was hulls deflection w/ about 30 sec left in the 3rd-we had that game-no one had any vocal chords for that last OT

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Not on the ice, but off.

I have never been to a game where I had to legitimately had fear for my safety, except this one: Game 1, 2006 ECF against Buffalo. Sabres' fans getting tanked off their ***** hours before game time in the NC summer heat.

During the course of the game a group of about 5 kept egging people on to start a fight. A father, who was sitting with his daughter looked like she was 7 or 8, had enough and told them to shut the hell up. Drunk Sabre fan stands up, walks down to this dude's seat proceeds with the usual "C'mon *****, wanna go?" Then dumps his beer on both the father and daughter. Then is pissed off because he just got kicked out of the arena.

After the game, once outside, I got to see these lovely Sabre fans throw the free glasses we gave them both on the ground and at people. Every minute or so *smash*, *smash*, *smash*. Another dude flicked his cigarette butt in the face of my buddy in another part of the RBC.

I was just happy to get to my car. As I was getting inside I saw a some young punk winding his arm, rock in hand. He decided to put it down after I informed that he just might be leaving his place with a broken arm..plus the fact I was 3 times bigger then this dude.

Those are just a few incidents that stick out from my mind from the day. If you were there as well then I'm sure you've got your own stories.

Since that day, I have never had ounce of respect for the Sabres organization team or it's fans. They deserved about as much respect as they gave: zero. No class.

Might be just a bad day, or "Those aren't our true fans! We're really nice! Honest!". Whatever the case. I don't like going to hockey games where I'm worried about my physical well-being.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
Not on the ice, but off.

I have never been to a game where I had to legitimately had fear for my safety, except this one: Game 1, 2006 ECF against Buffalo. Sabres' fans getting tanked off their ***** hours before game time in the NC summer heat.

During the course of the game a group of about 5 kept egging people on to start a fight. A father, who was sitting with his daughter looked like she was 7 or 8, had enough and told them to shut the hell up. Drunk Sabre fan stands up, walks down to this dude's seat proceeds with the usual "C'mon *****, wanna go?" Then dumps his beer on both the father and daughter. Then is pissed off because he just got kicked out of the arena.

After the game, once outside, I got to see these lovely Sabre fans throw the free glasses we gave them both on the ground and at people. Every minute or so *smash*, *smash*, *smash*. Another dude flicked his cigarette butt in the face of my buddy in another part of the RBC.

I was just happy to get to my car. As I was getting inside I saw a some young punk winding his arm, rock in hand. He decided to put it down after I informed that he just might be leaving his place with a broken arm..plus the fact I was 3 times bigger then this dude.

Those are just a few incidents that stick out from my mind from the day. If you were there as well then I'm sure you've got your own stories.

Since that day, I have never had ounce of respect for the Sabres organization team or it's fans. They deserved about as much respect as they gave: zero. No class.

Might be just a bad day, or "Those aren't our true fans! We're really nice! Honest!". Whatever the case. I don't like going to hockey games where I'm worried about my physical well-being.
I remember that game very well... Bunch of ****ing losers... The whole lot of them

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
The only thing that pisses me off about that game anymore is that we now hear endless "if Roloson blah blah blah" ********. Sucked when it happened, but we were up 3-2 heading into game 6 of a series that we were completely dominating and that was more of a completely "wtf just happened?" snap of the moment thing. Game 6 sucked more since they owned the whole game, but then part of me went "there's no way we lose a 3rd in a row after THAT". That one actually was a matter of feeling confident BECAUSE we had been blown out. Had it been close, I would have thought we were in BIG trouble.

Oh, and to any detractors that DO read this, if Roloson is healthy... the Canes still win in 7. There was no way the Oilers were taking game 1 after colapsing the way they did BEFORE he was hurt, taking game 2, taking game 4 where Cam stole the show, or taking game 7.
I've always felt, and this was no disrespect to Roloson, that had we not had to deal with the unknown goalie who came in and played his butt off for the Oilers, that series never even goes to seven. We were prepared for Roloson, expected him - played well against him before his exit - and then you get the subconscious letup associated with his departure and the fact that we knew nothing on the Finnish goalie (and jeez, I can't even recall his name now - was it Markkinen?), who was a complete mystery. Threw all of our prep out the window...we'd have much rather faced Roloson I believe. We knew what we were getting.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
stivwhaler

1992, game 7 Hartford vs Montreal. Hartford had yet another bad year but back then a 65 pt season (26-41-13) was enough to get into the playoffs. They matched up against the #1 Canadiens and everybody expected it to be over in 4 or 5 games. The Whale played great and took them to game 7 which went to double OT when Russ Courtnall put one in and ended it. It was just a rare glimmer of hope for a Whaler fan.

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
Not on the ice, but off.

Ah yes, the infamous Sabre Nation. We got to know them all too well during that series. Never before have I seen fans (home or away) act like such animals.

I'm glad I was out of town for Game 1. Fortunately, I was able to make it to the next 3 at home.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 05:34 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stivwhaler View Post
1992, game 7 Hartford vs Montreal. Hartford had yet another bad year but back then a 65 pt season (26-41-13) was enough to get into the playoffs. They matched up against the #1 Canadiens and everybody expected it to be over in 4 or 5 games. The Whale played great and took them to game 7 which went to double OT when Russ Courtnall put one in and ended it. It was just a rare glimmer of hope for a Whaler fan.
My whole family was asleep and I was downstairs alone with no lights on just the TV, sitting in front of it and staring as the 2OT unfolded and hoping hoping hoping for at least 1 series victory over the Canadiens and a taste of the 2nd round.

Turned it off right after the goal and went to sleep, depressed.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
The worst hockey moment I have ever seen not on replay would have to be Bryan Berard's eye injury.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Danny Briere's Game 6 OT winner back in 2006. I hate everything about the Sabres, and us pissing away the chance to go to the Finals in front of the Buffalo crowd really struck a wrong chord with me.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Clint Malarchuk. Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, can top that. Berard comes damn close but still not quite there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
3OT
3OT
3OT

Honourable mention to Game 3, 2001 ECQF.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
I love the banner that says "We will follow U wherever U go"...

Too bad some Whalers fans never did.
I think that's unfair. When the Penguins were threatening moving, a guy on their boards said to everyone else "even if we move, let's support this team" and a guy responded "the part of the Pittsburgh Penguins I cheer for is Pittsburgh because it's my city, I don't cheer for some anthropomorphic bird", and I think that best captures the sentiment.

I've only really been a fan since the lockout ended as I got brought on during the Stanley Cup year bandwagon, but I was aware of our Stanley Cup against Detroit the first time and watched some of the games. So for me, I'll answer the Florida game a couple years ago, just because I only go to a few games a year since I don't live in the city, and me and a couple people bought playoff tickets since at the time 2 weeks before the end of the season it looked like a foregone conclusion we'd win the division barring collapse, and we did collapse, but then not only did we lose the division, we didn't even make the playoffs at all.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
I think that's unfair. When the Penguins were threatening moving, a guy on their boards said to everyone else "even if we move, let's support this team" and a guy responded "the part of the Pittsburgh Penguins I cheer for is Pittsburgh because it's my city, I don't cheer for some anthropomorphic bird", and I think that best captures the sentiment.
I cheered for the Whalers players, not the city or the name. When they changed the last two but kept the first, I naturally became a Hurricanes fan.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote