HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Wings' Brian Rafalski slams Tennessee's new 'jock tax'

Old
03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Wings' Brian Rafalski slams Tennessee's new 'jock tax'

Interesting read....

http://detnews.com/article/20100326/...new--jock-tax-

Quote:
Detroit defenseman Brian Rafalski says Tennessee is unfairly taxing professional athletes to play in the state.

The Red Wings star has been running the numbers, and he estimates 17 teammates will be paying more money in taxes to face off against the Nashville Predators on Saturday night than they will earn for playing the game.

"My complaint with it is ... 17 teammates will be paying money out of their own pocket to play in Tennessee. It's a tax rate of over 100 percent," Rafalski said Friday.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100326/...#ixzz0jL7Bkpb7

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
sonny side up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
wtf? i didnt read the full article, but thats stupid... yea they are playing a game for a job, but cmon, thats wicked lame

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Hawker14

Rafalski could quit being a professional atlete.

That wouldn't cost him a cent in Tennessee.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
wtf? i didnt read the full article, but thats stupid... yea they are playing a game for a job, but cmon, thats wicked lame

Which part is lame? The tax or complaining about a 100% tax? If you think this through to the logical conclusion, if every state did this, players wouldn't have much money left.

I'm not a tax expert but there are couple of sniff tests this doesn't appear to pass, namely that taxation is usually based on the portion earned in a given location, not to mention the lack of representation or recourse. An individual or company could choose not to operate in a state where they don't like the tax laws, but these pros seem to be completely at the mercy of the local politics to tap into someone's wallet.

What right do the states actually have to levy arbitrary taxes?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Why does Tennessee have more right to his money than the other 15 or so states that tax athletes? If they all followed suit, athletes couldn't afford to play any longer.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
If they all followed suit, athletes couldn't afford to play any longer.
Seriously ?

LOL

I'm a huge fan of yours, due to your common sense approach ... but this is funny

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Seriously ?

LOL

I'm a huge fan of yours, due to your common sense approach ... but this is funny

Well, do the math then.

Or... consider that a team plays three games out of 82 in Nashville.

Are they being taxed for the time they're actually working in the state, or something arbitrary? I'm just asking what the principle is behind a tax system that has a flat rate:
Quote:
NBA and NHL players are hit for $2,500 per game with a limit of $7,500 for a maximum of three games. With Rafalski playing in the Central Division, his Red Wings visit Nashville three times a season. Western Conference teams in the NBA visit Memphis only two games per season.

Rafalski makes $6m/yr. Eaves is paid ~$525k, iirc. Furthermore, as division rivals, they play there 3x/yr, while an Eastern team, for example, may only go there once every two years.

This is the definition of an arbitrary and unfair tax law.

Old
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Ah, yes... the old "tax people who don't live in the state so we can still get reelected" move.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:

I got a better idea, how about all the teams stop going to Tennessee to play games.

I'm sure lost tax revenue from canceled games will solve the problem real quick.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Jeffrey93

Pretty unfair. These games theoretically make a considerable amount of money for local businesses and generate a pile of tax revenue. And you have to tax the players like this? Where it actually costs them money to play there?!?

Reminds me of when 'FLIM SPRINGFIELD' gouged those Hollywood folk with a pile of taxes because they were outsiders.

It'd be funny to see a team forfeit a meaningless game against Nashville as a protest. I'm not sure what penalty the team would face for a stunt like that, but it would look good on them. It'd damage the NHL pretty bad....but I'd still chuckle.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:11 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
Interesting read....
Quote:
Detroit defenseman Brian Rafalski says Tennessee is unfairly taxing professional athletes to play in the state.

The Red Wings star has been running the numbers, and he estimates 17 teammates will be paying more money in taxes to face off against the Nashville Predators on Saturday night than they will earn for playing the game.

"My complaint with it is ... 17 teammates will be paying money out of their own pocket to play in Tennessee. It's a tax rate of over 100 percent," Rafalski said Friday.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100326/...#ixzz0jL7Bkpb7

http://detnews.com/article/20100326/...new--jock-tax-
Is Rafalski saying that 17 of his teammates earn less than $205000 (82 * $2500) per year?
And I'm sure that they'll deduct that tax from federal tax.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Is Rafalski saying that 17 of his teammates earn less than $205000 (82 * $2500) per year?
And I'm sure that they'll deduct that tax from federal tax.

JOL
"Paying taxes isn't his issue. A total of 18 states now charge what's commonly called a "jock tax" to make money off highly paid pro athletes visiting their teams. But Tennessee's tax, which took effect July 1, 2009, is different from the other 17 because the visitors cannot get any relief through a deduction when filing taxes back home."

Old
03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
billy blaze

becoming a greater problem for people who travel and do business, CEO's who oversee large projects- in and out , can't have an extended stay-

the problem seems to be with Tenn. as you can't claim it against your personal income tax

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P112872.asp

Quote:
For instance, the report noted, not only do millionaire players get caught up in the tax -- but also every traveling member of the team's support staff, from coaches to trainers. And, remember, not every pro athlete is pulling down big money.

billy blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
billy blaze

blame it on Michael Jordan
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P112872.asp

Quote:
The nonresident tax is nothing new. The Tax Foundation, however, says it took on a new life in 1991 when the Chicago Bulls beat the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals -- and the state of California decided to go after a piece of Michael Jordan's income. The Tax Foundation report says that Illinois decided to retaliate the following year by levying a jock tax of its own, dubbed "Michael Jordan's Revenge" in the press.

billy blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Why aren't NFL players being taxed?

Old
03-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Captain Iago

NFL was proactive and made an agreement their players wouldn't get hit. MiLB players are also exempt.

Captain Iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Iago View Post
NFL was proactive and made an agreement their players wouldn't get hit. MiLB players are also exempt.
How can a league be proactive? Was something given in return?

Old
03-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
How can a league be proactive? Was something given in return?
If that's true it definitely seems shady. How can a sports league dictate tax laws and who they include and exclude?

Old
03-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
If that's true it definitely seems shady. How can a sports league dictate tax laws and who they include and exclude?

Hence my comment about sniff tests above. If it's truly a "jock tax" then all pro athletes playing at a TN venue should be taxed-- because they're legally in the same group.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Hence my comment about sniff tests above. If it's truly a "jock tax" then all pro athletes playing at a TN venue should be taxed-- because they're legally in the same group.
Is the tax only applied in a certain district?? Aside from that...it makes zero sense to me how you pick and choose like this who you tax and who you don't.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Captain Iago

Yes. I am not sure exactly what leverage the NFL had to get around it, but I remember before the Nationals moved back to Washington, MLB said they wouldn't consider moving a team back if DC implemented a jock tax.

Captain Iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Dirk Hoag does a bit of digging on the issue. NFL has rules that prevent it (so they can tell states and municipalities what to do...).

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/3...lege-tax-draws

Quote:
There are 193 days in this NHL regular season, and players are basically paid "by the day". Let's use forward Drew Miller as an example. His salary this season is $525,000, working out to a daily rate of $2,720 (per CapGeek).
Tomorrow, let's first subtract the escrow that all NHL players are paying this year (recently 18%). Then, the state of Tennessee will dock him $2,500 for playing.
It's pretty easy to see how he comes out having "paid to come to work" tomorrow, and that's before we've even got to federal income and other taxes.
As to why this doesn't hit the NFL's Tennessee Titans and their visiting opponents, apparently the NFL already had rules in place that would have penalized the state if they had enacted such a tax on football players.
I know, that's as stunning as it sounds.
The link within has an article that says the Preds and Titans also have to pay the tax, but they do benefit from being in a state w/o an income tax. Michigan definitely has an income tax.

Old
03-27-2010, 09:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'll be the first one to say that the TN jock tax is crap. Its very arbitrary and hurts the Preds just as much as it hurts other teams. If it were a federal tax we would be talking about a Supreme Court case and the constitutionality of the tax.

Why NFL and MLB players are exempt is beyond me.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
Lots of places have "jock tax", it's been around for a long time, as a general principle it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do, frankly.

But I don't get Rafalski's math - at minimum salary, it's nearly $7k income/game. Tennessee is taking $2500/game with an annual cap of $7500. How does that work out to a 100%+ tax?

EDIT: saw the later post. That's just bad math.

Old
03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

What a joke of a tax.