HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last coach they would want to play for: John Tortorella, Rangers 18%

Old
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
so no comments yet about the pens being the 2nd best franchise? I find that result very interesting considering the way they tanked to get good picks, threatened to move and have a hall of fame owner who blamed his retirement on the pace of the game.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I would take that in a good way.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
I though a bad back and Non Hodgkins Lymphoma put his Quebecois rear end out to pasture, not the pace of the game.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I think all the "best franchises" listed all earned their spot up there except perhaps Pittsburgh (and maybe Chicago?). I feel like Pitt and Chicago are only up there because of their recent successes but I could be wrong about Chicago, I really don't know enough about them.

I don't call a franchise that tanked multiple times for picks, threatened to move on more than one occasion whose fans basically ditched them, and then bullied the city of Pittsburgh for money a "top NHL franchise." There is nothing spectacular about them other than the fact they have gotten some of the top players in the league from the draft lately.

Detroit has a great farm system, great coaching, great development, and cup dynasties to show for the aforementioned. Montreal is montreal, I hate them but have to respect their like the Yankees of the NHL in terms of history and championships and as much as I hate to say it, the Devils have a much better franchise in terms of farm system, development, and drafting than us, as well as coaching and GM'ing. The only thing we have on the Devils is that we actually have fans and they don't. And the fans they do have are fairweathered. I'd like to see how many fill the Rock when the team goes into a losing period and/or Brodeur leaves.

As for the coaching, I also think that says a lot. I don't think these players voted Torts because "oooh hes mean I don't like meanies" -- I know plenty of mean hardass coaches that have a lot of respect with NHL'ers. Babcock isn't a pushover, Lindy Ruff isn't a pushover, Keenan, Hitchcock ... etc. etc.

I wonder what the real reason NHLers voted Torts is.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
satrabyk

Why do some of you look at the results of these surveys and assume that you can make legitimate causes or inferences based on it. The results are simply a rather small sample of only 50 players who were annonymous. The results do not mean anything except the views of a few of these players. Sure they are NHL players but does not always mean they kno more than the causual fan, they prob watch less hockey than i do whoever they are, because they play themselves. I just dont get why we are debating it liek some hockey god put this list down.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Why do some of you look at the results of these surveys and assume that you can make legitimate causes or inferences based on it. The results are simply a rather small sample of only 50 players who were annonymous. The results do not mean anything except the views of a few of these players. Sure they are NHL players but does not always mean they kno more than the causual fan, they prob watch less hockey than i do whoever they are, because they play themselves. I just dont get why we are debating it liek some hockey god put this list down.
NHL players probably know a lot more about the inner workings of the league than the average fan does. And by that I mean how organizations are run, and what they hear from their friends on other teams. You think that you know more than someone who actually has played on a few NHL teams and probably has multiple friends on other teams... they talk to each other and I'm sure sometimes they chat about their respective clubs.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
so no comments yet about the pens being the 2nd best franchise? I find that result very interesting considering the way they tanked to get good picks, threatened to move and have a hall of fame owner who blamed his retirement on the pace of the game.
Players respect and like playing for championship franchises. They're not given to whining about all that other nonsense. Only rival fans - and frequently jealous ones - get caught up in such stuff.

Like when the Rangers won a Cup and all you heard from Isles, Devils, and Flyers fans was how "the Rags bought their championship." Such mewling didn't stop Gretzky from wanting to play here, nor did it prevent players from acknowledging the franchise a good one.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote