HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

vCash: 500
Hey guys, I'm in CEGEP and just wondering something...am I supposed to wait for the results of my English Exit Exam before I apply to a university?

Also, freedom feels awesome

Old
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament View Post
Hey guys, I'm in CEGEP and just wondering something...am I supposed to wait for the results of my English Exit Exam before I apply to a university?

Also, freedom feels awesome
How many semesters do you have left? When did you take your English Exit?

Last edited by Dialamo: 12-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old
12-21-2010, 02:09 PM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Got my last exam on wednesday

Biochemestry 318, need to lear every metabolic pathway in the human body.....So much theory to apply in specific contexts, its gonna be hard as hell
Oh man I feel for you. I had that class 2 years ago, the final exam was hard as ****. Thankfully I barely passed.
That said, good luck.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
How many semesters do you have left? When did you take your English Exit?
This semester coming up will be my last, and I took the exam last wednesday.

I mean I know it's before March, just wondering if I'm supposed to wait until I get my Exit Exam results before I apply.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament View Post
This semester coming up will be my last, and I took the exam last wednesday.

I mean I know it's before March, just wondering if I'm supposed to wait until I get my Exit Exam results before I apply.
Not necessary. You'll be conditionally accepted and then your transcript will be reviewed once you're finished with cegep.

Doesn't matter anyways...as long as you can write properly, you should have passed the test. The only way to fail is if English is your third or fourth language and you can barely speak a word.

EDIT: Just checked my application center on MyConcordia...apparently I submitted my application February 23, 2008. Have no idea when I got my English Exit test results back. They responded pretty quickly (6 days later).

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 12-21-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I kept a scan of my acceptation letter from ETS.

I was so proud that day

Old
12-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Not necessary. You'll be conditionally accepted and then your transcript will be reviewed once you're finished with cegep.

Doesn't matter anyways...as long as you can write properly, you should have passed the test. The only way to fail is if English is your third or fourth language and you can barely speak a word.

EDIT: Just checked my application center on MyConcordia...apparently I submitted my application February 23, 2008. Have no idea when I got my English Exit test results back. They responded pretty quickly (6 days later).
Alright, thanks a lot.

Old
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
MetroGnome

I’ve always wondered about this. Let’s say you get a decent grade but you want to redo that same class. Does the original mark get “eliminated” completely if you get a better mark the second time around?

Old
12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
I’ve always wondered about this. Let’s say you get a decent grade but you want to redo that same class. Does the original mark get “eliminated” completely if you get a better mark the second time around?
I'm pretty sure the first grade isn't discarded completely. At least at McGill it isn't. Same if you fail the first time and get an A the second time. If you get 4.0 GPA the second time after failing the course your average GPA would be 2.

Old
12-23-2010, 07:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I'm pretty sure the first grade isn't discarded completely. At least at McGill it isn't. Same if you fail the first time and get an A the second time. If you get 4.0 GPA the second time after failing the course your average GPA would be 2.
I'm not sure if they take the average for the amount of credits(say a 3 credit class u do twice, and they put the average wiht a weight of 3 credits) or they just completely treat it like 2 seperate marks on your GPA. I figure the second.

Old
12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not sure if they take the average for the amount of credits(say a 3 credit class u do twice, and they put the average wiht a weight of 3 credits) or they just completely treat it like 2 seperate marks on your GPA. I figure the second.
Well yes but if you only have 3 credits courses you can take the average. Less complicated

Old
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Well yes but if you only have 3 credits courses you can take the average. Less complicated
I actually meant, say you do 3 classes(2 of those 3 are same class, one fail, one 4 gpa).

Suppose it looks something like this:

Class 1:F
Class 1(2nd time):A
Class 2:B

I've heard two stories, one is that the GPA(lets assume all 3 credit classes to make it simple) will be (0+4+3)/3=2.33 GPA. The other is that the first class is averaged and has a weight of 3 instead of 6 so it would be (0+4)/2=2. 2+3/2=2.5 GPA. Understand what I mean? I find the 2nd option unlikely, but i've heard people say it.

Also, on an unrelated note, I had 1 9 am exam this year and I ended up getting my first A+ in university on it. So I'll disagree with everyone, 9 am for life!

Old
12-24-2010, 12:25 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
I actually meant, say you do 3 classes(2 of those 3 are same class, one fail, one 4 gpa).

Suppose it looks something like this:

Class 1:F
Class 1(2nd time):A
Class 2:B

I've heard two stories, one is that the GPA(lets assume all 3 credit classes to make it simple) will be (0+4+3)/3=2.33 GPA. The other is that the first class is averaged and has a weight of 3 instead of 6 so it would be (0+4)/2=2. 2+3/2=2.5 GPA. Understand what I mean? I find the 2nd option unlikely, but i've heard people say it.

Also, on an unrelated note, I had 1 9 am exam this year and I ended up getting my first A+ in university on it. So I'll disagree with everyone, 9 am for life!
Oh then yes, you have to treat the courses separately to get you GPA. I don't think that the one course you redo is worth 3 credits instead of 6 though.

From McGill:"Grades of D or F continue to be used in the calculation of the CGPA even after the course is repeated or a supplemental examination is taken. "

http://www.mcgill.ca/conted/studentr...ds/grades/gpa/

I know it's Cont. Education but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing for regular education.

Old
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
i am sorry if i already asked the question but i didnt find it in this thread

well, is there a job opportunity for a certficat/minor (accounting)? I dont know if I want to keep going at school and hesitate to go for a full 3 year bac....but maybe a minor and then completing the bac would be better....thanks.

Old
12-24-2010, 04:50 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreconstantin View Post
i am sorry if i already asked the question but i didnt find it in this thread

well, is there a job opportunity for a certficat/minor (accounting)? I dont know if I want to keep going at school and hesitate to go for a full 3 year bac....but maybe a minor and then completing the bac would be better....thanks.
A minor is worth nothing. A certificat at least is worth something.

Old
12-24-2010, 06:03 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Oh then yes, you have to treat the courses separately to get you GPA. I don't think that the one course you redo is worth 3 credits instead of 6 though.

From McGill:"Grades of D or F continue to be used in the calculation of the CGPA even after the course is repeated or a supplemental examination is taken. "

I know it's Cont. Education but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing for regular education.
I can confirm that this information is correct for undergraduate at McGill. If you fail a course, it will hunt you forever in your GPA calculation.

Not every institution is like that though. I've heard that at some other universities, you are allowed to drop the course after the first exam if you did bad, and it won't count towards your GPA. You can re-take the class and they will ignore the F that you had in your final GPA calculation by replacing it with the new grade.

Old
12-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:

Nice, I got an A+ in c++ too. Which section were you in?

Old
12-25-2010, 02:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philanthropist View Post
I got A+ in an Indu class not C++. I did C++ in mech 215, not sure if u had that course or another C++ course.

Old
12-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philanthropist View Post
Is your C++, COMP 345?
I don't have a letter grade yet but I know it will be bad =[

I ended up with a 66.48/100 with a class; average of 73, lowest mark of 54.24, a median 73.55 and the highest mark of 91.98.

I'm expecting a C/C+. Wouldn't it be ironic, getting a C+ in C++ class.

FUUUUU

Old
12-25-2010, 09:45 AM
MetroGnome

Quote:

Thanks, it makes sense.

On another note, how long does it take the machine to correct a scantron sheet?! The exam was over a week ago! Things like this make me paranoid that I didn't fill out my information correctly.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:00 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Thanks, it makes sense.

On another note, how long does it take the machine to correct a scantron sheet?! The exam was over a week ago! Things like this make me paranoid that I didn't fill out my information correctly.
My friend had an exam on a Scantron and I think she had her mark in the following 48 hours or something like that.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Thanks, it makes sense.

Doesn't matter. I've had exam results from scantron take weeks to be posted. It happens.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
I got A+ in an Indu class not C++. I did C++ in mech 215, not sure if u had that course or another C++ course.
What's Indu?

Old
12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Philanthropist

Quote:
You know I totally forgot MECH 215 was written at 2pm. It must have felt like a 9am'er to me since it was written on a Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Is your C++, COMP 345?
I don't have a letter grade yet but I know it will be bad =[

I ended up with a 66.48/100 with a class; average of 73, lowest mark of 54.24, a median 73.55 and the highest mark of 91.98.

I'm expecting a C/C+. Wouldn't it be ironic, getting a C+ in C++ class.

FUUUUU
haha

Naw , I was talking about that entry level MECH C++ class. I'm sure your 300 level COMP class is way more involved considering your background. That sucks about your high class average, profs won't bell curve a class with an average above 65% most of the time. GL with it though, hopefully your prof was visited by three christmas ghosts last night and came to the realization that he must give you a solid B

Old
12-25-2010, 11:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
What's Indu?
Industrial engineering. The course code is indu so I just say that.

Closed Thread