HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philanthropist View Post
You know I totally forgot MECH 215 was written at 2pm. It must have felt like a 9am'er to me since it was written on a Saturday
I was in the class that was supposed to be with Gordon but he got sick. Which were u in?

Old
12-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Philanthropist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I was in the class that was supposed to be with Gordon but he got sick. Which were u in?
I was with Simon to start off the semester, but later switched into Ted's class before the deadline. He was pretty chill. Talked a lot about the rolling stones and didn't enforce laboratory attendance like the other section, which was nice. I mean if you want to learn on your own time, why not?

Old
12-25-2010, 03:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I was with Simon to start off the semester, but later switched into Ted's class before the deadline. He was pretty chill. Talked a lot about the rolling stones and didn't enforce laboratory attendance like the other section, which was nice. I mean if you want to learn on your own time, why not?
Our teacher got sick 2 weeks in, so we had different subs who didn't know where class was for like 4-5 weeks then eventually got a replacement who tried to pick up the pieces but it was too late for me. I lost interest. I got a C in the class, but considering how fail this class became when the original teacher got sick, I can't really complain.

Old
12-25-2010, 05:18 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
I can confirm that this information is correct for undergraduate at McGill. If you fail a course, it will hunt you forever in your GPA calculation.

Not every institution is like that though. I've heard that at some other universities, you are allowed to drop the course after the first exam if you did bad, and it won't count towards your GPA. You can re-take the class and they will ignore the F that you had in your final GPA calculation by replacing it with the new grade.
Will a fail really be that big of a deal in the long run at McGill for your GPA? ... I'm pretty sure I failed business stats

Old
12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
Will a fail really be that big of a deal in the long run at McGill for your GPA? ... I'm pretty sure I failed business stats
Depends on what semester you are in and if you want to go to grad school.

Old
12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Pretty much. Concordia asks for a GPA of 2.0 to graduate with a bachelor. Reality is, 2.0 is easy. 3.0 is pretty much a little more work and attention to detail. This extra effort, while sometimes as easy as doing your 10% hw(which i never do and get 1 gpa lower all the time) can make you eligible for a masters. It opens doors for you.

Old
12-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Adam91

I got a D in my math course at uvic, does anyone know how that will affect my GPA if I retake it? or retake it a college?

Also I just cannot tolerate math, does anyone know bachelor of commerce programs that require zero or minimal math pre reqs????

Old
12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Naw , I was talking about that entry level MECH C++ class. I'm sure your 300 level COMP class is way more involved considering your background. That sucks about your high class average, profs won't bell curve a class with an average above 65% most of the time. GL with it though, hopefully your prof was visited by three christmas ghosts last night and came to the realization that he must give you a solid B
We had to program a Bloodbowl game. For a 300 level non-project course ridiculous demands for someone without a background in C++. I was teamed up with a friend who was taking 5 course + job + DJ gigs and another friend who has 0 experience with C++.

=[[[

I got 61/100 on a final worth 25% I thought I had done well but I guess not, I guess I could follow up but I'm too lazy at this point and I don't think I care enough.

Old
12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
I got a D in my math course at uvic, does anyone know how that will affect my GPA if I retake it? or retake it a college?

Also I just cannot tolerate math, does anyone know bachelor of commerce programs that require zero or minimal math pre reqs????
You want to work in a business field but you don't want to do math? I would say marketing is your friend.

Old
12-25-2010, 07:48 PM
madvie
female habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
Thanks, it makes sense.

On another note, how long does it take the machine to correct a scantron sheet?! The exam was over a week ago! Things like this make me paranoid that I didn't fill out my information correctly.
It honestly depends on the class. Some course coordinators are more lax about posting grades right away, others require matching of information and looking for anomalies. I remembered this was particularly the case in PHGY 209 at McGill. Blargh.

It could be worse, though. Last year, McGill LOST one of my exams. I checked my transcript and it said failure due to skipping the final. I was livid because when I went to rectify it, they basically treated me like a criminal, acting as though I was lying just because it wasn't a regular occurrence. All this despite the fact they take attendance when you come in. The worst part is that the department had just been moved to another building due to renovations. I was panicked the whole time they said they were looking for it. Luckily they found it...in a stack of new exams (wtf?).

Old
12-25-2010, 07:58 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
I see, I'm 2nd year business and I do want to go to a grad school. But hey, everyone gets a bad grade once in a while... right?

Old
12-25-2010, 08:28 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
I see, I'm 2nd year business and I do want to go to a grad school. But hey, everyone gets a bad grade once in a while... right?
An F always looks bad

Old
12-25-2010, 09:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post

Not sure how it is in BC but over here(QC) there's cegep then university. I found a way to do fine. Get into uni, then go back and do prereqs at cegep. The result? Get 60-65, pass, get credited and the low mark doesn't count on your GPA and it doesn't effect your ability to get into university as you're already accepted into the program.

Old
12-25-2010, 09:25 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
An F always looks bad
damn

Old
12-25-2010, 09:31 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Tuesday and Thursday mornings?

Old
12-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Dunno If it's the right topic, but I have 2 questions (I'm currently in sec 5).
-Did anyone here made the I.B (International Baccalaureat) in CEGEP? I'd like to ask you some questions about the program. Would be better if it was someone who did it in natural science (if that's the right name). Just send me a MP, that would ease things up. (I plan to do it at Collège François Xavier Garneau, in Quebec, since it's the nearest CEGEP)
-I plan to go to McGill in architecture in few years. Is it a good plan to go for the natural sciences at CEGEP ? (Knowing I could change my mind for the future at anytime) And I know they also look at a portfolio to select their students. Fact is, how can I do plans without knowing anything in this domain ?

Thanks in advance !

Old
12-25-2010, 10:23 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post
Last year, McGill LOST one of my exams. I checked my transcript and it said failure due to skipping the final. I was livid because when I went to rectify it, they basically treated me like a criminal, acting as though I was lying just because it wasn't a regular occurrence. All this despite the fact they take attendance when you come in. The worst part is that the department had just been moved to another building due to renovations. I was panicked the whole time they said they were looking for it. Luckily they found it...in a stack of new exams (wtf?).
If I was you, I would have hoped they lost it. If they really lost it, they are supposed to give you an A.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it will if you are hoping to end up with a very high GPA. You will need lot of As to compensate for a failed course.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:42 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
-Did anyone here made the I.B (International Baccalaureat) in CEGEP? I'd like to ask you some questions about the program. Would be better if it was someone who did it in natural science (if that's the right name). Just send me a MP, that would ease things up. (I plan to do it at Collège François Xavier Garneau, in Quebec, since it's the nearest CEGEP)
-I plan to go to McGill in architecture in few years. Is it a good plan to go for the natural sciences at CEGEP ? (Knowing I could change my mind for the future at anytime) And I know they also look at a portfolio to select their students. Fact is, how can I do plans without knowing anything in this domain ?

Thanks in advance !
You'd better get information about the Arch degree and what are the pre-reqs. From the School of Architecture's page the most common DEC is Applied Sciences. I believe you're better off doing that unless the International Bacc. you're talking about covers the same courses.

Old
12-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Our teacher got sick 2 weeks in, so we had different subs who didn't know where class was for like 4-5 weeks then eventually got a replacement who tried to pick up the pieces but it was too late for me. I lost interest. I got a C in the class, but considering how fail this class became when the original teacher got sick, I can't really complain.
Sounds like a bad situation. Glad you got out of it okay.

Old
12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post

Thanks in advance !
I was in I.B. for 1 year. Complete waste of time, besides getting an extra certificate.

Old
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Tuesday and Thursday mornings?
Yes, you were in it?

Old
12-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
You'd better get information about the Arch degree and what are the pre-reqs. From the School of Architecture's page the most common DEC is Applied Sciences. I believe you're better off doing that unless the International Bacc. you're talking about covers the same courses.
Thanks for the link, I'll read it when I'll have some free time, to make sure I understand perfectly everything (My English is not perfect !§)
(And Applied Science was the name I was searching for "Sciences Naturelles", by the way. :])
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
I was in I.B. for 1 year. Complete waste of time, besides getting an extra certificate.
What do you mean by "waste of time" ? Is there that many work more than the regular program ? Is it that much harder ? How many hours more than the regular students in the same program per week would you say ? (Assuming you did both!)
Also, I heard the "Cote R" can be seen higher by some universities... I'm all messed up towards this program. I want to succeed at school, work hard and all, but if IB takes to much of the free time you have and is useless for being accepted at McGill, maybe I won't do it.
Also, I read that it's much more expensive. But does it help to get financial help such as purses ? On FXG website, some students of the IB seem to have won fantastic purses going up to 50 000 and even 75 000 $, and that's what interested me the most.
Thanks.

Old
12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

What is International Baccalaureat exactly?

Old
12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Yes, you were in it?
Yes

Old
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Turns out I made a big fuss about DESC 200 for no reason. Did the exam in 35 minutes and walked out with an A+.

Haters gonna hate

Closed Thread