HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Franky Gee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No it shouldn't. But if you don't know that, you're not getting 5%
Ok maybe I went a bit too far, but it's all I remember learning from my first accounting course... (and I'm now an MBA student in accounting )

Old
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Not anymore. They all count. When I was in Cegep (3 years ago) only the 3rd Phys. Ed. course counted toward the R score but now they all count.
Basically what it was told to me, hence why I want to make the best decision for me and my results. One of my friends (Also in Sec.5 though) told me that in the gym/training class, you had to give yourselves objectives, and if you complete them, you get a great result. Does it work like that ? Is there a floor limit to the objectives ? The higher your objectives, the better your score or not ?

Old
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Anyone got any tips on how not to fail Financial Accounting? Lol I'm going to be cramming an entire semesters' worth of material in two nights. I somehow managed a 70% on the midterm. I need a 10% to pass the course, but we don't pass the course unless we pass the finals. That means 50% on the finals or I fail. That 50% is not guaranteed. I hate myself for doing this, every freaking semester.
Got an A with no previous accounting experience.

My advice: practice, practice, practice. When you're sick of practicing, keep practicing anyway.

Don't try to memorize everything, because they always throw something different in each exam. Just try and understand, and take your time. Think the problem over and you'll be fine.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Why do I have 15 days between 2 exams? Why?
would you like 5 in 4 days? I'd be willing to trade.

The whole point of finals is so that profs don't pack you with exams in your final week, but more often than not, that's exactly what happens during finals. It's dumb.

In 6 semesters at Mcgill, I have never had an easy exam schedule. I remember my first semester I had two exams on the first day of exams (9:00am-12:00pm/2:00pm-5:00pm), one the next day at 9:00 am and the following day at 9:00am.

I never get a ****ing break.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I have two physics exams next saturday ...

Old
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
m00ks

There should be a minimum of a week after your last day of classes. I find it ridiculous to to expect a student to ready to write a final with 3-4 days to prepare. The latter course of eng involves a lot of end of sem projects that really cut into your study time.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
There should be a minimum of a week after your last day of classes. I find it ridiculous to to expect a student to ready to write a final with 3-4 days to prepare. The latter course of eng involves a lot of end of sem projects that really cut into your study time.
I agree man it's totally ridiculous.

Same problem here in Poli Sci and Philosophy. In all your classes you have a paper due on the last day of classes, then you barely have time to breathe and you need to start studying or do more take home ****.

Doing well in school is all about having the time to actually study.

Last semester I got As in all my classes. I never got lower than an A- on any assignment or exam expect the day I had 3 midterms in one day. No surprise I got B- on all three of them. I just had no time study, literarly none at all and it reflected in my marks.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

Same problem here in Poli Sci and Philosophy. In all your classes you have a paper due on the last day of classes, then you barely have time to breathe and you need to start studying or do more take home ****.

Last semester I got As in all my classes. I never got lower than an A- on any assignment or exam expect the day I had 3 midterms in one day. No surprise I got B- on all three of them. I just had no time study, literarly none at all and it reflected in my marks.
Seriously. It's really a shame when your final grade hinges on the quality of your exam schedule. I find myself being more anxious waiting for the release of the final exam schedule than i would have waiting for a grade. Even when I see what to prepare for in advance, the other courses take a back seat. So it's a **** if you **** if you don't.

The worst part is I feel that they can definitely push everything by a week. There shouldn't be much conflict for summer activities.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
shao01

Does anyone know when I retake a course, if its GPA will cancel/replace the grade from the course I previously failed?

I think I may have bombed my comm305 exam today so I was wondering....

Old
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Andy

Quote:
Seriously. It's really a shame when your final grade hinges on the quality of your exam schedule. I find myself being more anxious waiting for the release of the final exam schedule than i would have waiting for a grade. Even when I see what to prepare for in advance, the other courses take a back seat. So it's a **** if you **** if you don't.

The worst part is I feel that they can definitely push everything by a week. There shouldn't be much conflict for summer activities.
I totally agree man. I've been ranting about this for three years. Basically I just hate the way the school system is runned in general. My goal in life would be to reform it, but we're so ingrained out system that it's impossible.

GOD I HATE SCHOOL! Ugh! So fustrating.

You're totally right, the majority of my panicing about school isn't that I can't do it or getting a bad mark, it's all about having the time to do it. This is a shame because all people do in the end is look at your marks(cough* grad school * cough) without knowing any of the particulars as to why you got those grades. You can't even write in a cover letter why you did bad because it just looks like excuses, but sometimes it's actually the reason why.

One time I had only 3 days to write a 12 page paper for philosophy, I got a B on it not because my ideas were crap or because I didn't know what I was talking about, but because I just rushed the paper to get it done because my stupid ***** of a professor wouldn't give me an extension!

Don't get me started about unsympathetic profs, they are another problem.

Lol, all this complaining and it sounds like I'm doing poorly, but I'm not. I have a steady 3.51 GPa, but god, I have so much stress for no ****ing reason other than the way the system is structured!

Old
04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:

mehhhhh

my best grade ever is a B+ ... And I only got ONE

Old
04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
mehhhhh

my best grade ever is a B+ ... And I only got ONE
What year are you in?

I didn't get one A until my second semester of my second year. Before than I had only two -A in three semesters. It's only now in my final year that I'm getting A, A- consistently.

If you are in an arts program, you learn the techniques profs wanna see and then you just use that formula over and over.

If you are in sciences, engineering etc, man I admire you guys because you guys do the hard ****.

I just write papers that talk about theoretical scenarios and what we ought to do. I contribute nothing lol.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Anyone got any tips on how not to fail Financial Accounting? Lol I'm going to be cramming an entire semesters' worth of material in two nights. I somehow managed a 70% on the midterm. I need a 10% to pass the course, but we don't pass the course unless we pass the finals. That means 50% on the finals or I fail. That 50% is not guaranteed. I hate myself for doing this, every freaking semester.
Intro accounting? From what I've seen most people have problems with knowing what f/s to put the accounts on, make sure you can tell the difference between financial position items and operations items. If you can manage to get the accounts under the right headings things can fall in place nicely.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Which classes you taking?
ENGR 201
ENGR 233
ENGR 243
MARK 201

Quote:
I WISH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Terrible

Last semester I had two finals on the first two days and the other two on the last two days. Annoying.
Quote:
would you like 5 in 4 days? I'd be willing to trade.

The whole point of finals is so that profs don't pack you with exams in your final week, but more often than not, that's exactly what happens during finals. It's dumb.

In 6 semesters at Mcgill, I have never had an easy exam schedule. I remember my first semester I had two exams on the first day of exams (9:00am-12:00pm/2:00pm-5:00pm), one the next day at 9:00 am and the following day at 9:00am.

I never get a ****ing break.
Having two weeks off right smack in the middle of finals is not great. I barely have the motivation to get through a whole semester and then they give me this right at the end of the semester. Really kills the momentum you gather during the finals.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
What year are you in?

I didn't get one A until my second semester of my second year. Before than I had only two -A in three semesters. It's only now in my final year that I'm getting A, A- consistently.

If you are in an arts program, you learn the techniques profs wanna see and then you just use that formula over and over.

If you are in sciences, engineering etc, man I admire you guys because you guys do the hard ****.

I just write papers that talk about theoretical scenarios and what we ought to do. I contribute nothing lol.

I'm in IT Engineering

Old
04-11-2011, 11:39 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao01 View Post
Does anyone know when I retake a course, if its GPA will cancel/replace the grade from the course I previously failed?

I think I may have bombed my comm305 exam today so I was wondering....
Anyone?

Old
04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
ENGR 201
ENGR 233
ENGR 243
MARK 201
I got screwed on that 233 midterm. WTF is that outline? If I didn't bother showing up without reason, I get 85% final, but for showing up my 25% midterm stays? Fake optional midterm ****.

Quote:
Anyone?
I heard it would. Not sure though.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
knuck
On and off fan

not sure if it's the same for every uni but yes, your new grade should replace the old one. The same applies if you retake a course you previously passed. Even if your grade is lower than the first time, it's the last one that will stick

Old
04-11-2011, 11:56 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
not sure if it's the same for every uni but yes, your new grade should replace the old one. The same applies if you retake a course you previously passed. Even if your grade is lower than the first time, it's the last one that will stick
Ok thanks...I got sick last semester so had to defer comm305, just took it today and let's just say it was the worst exam experience I've ever had...six problem question with each containing five subquestions. I should have done it last semester when it was all multiple choice.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified View Post
Intro accounting? From what I've seen most people have problems with knowing what f/s to put the accounts on, make sure you can tell the difference between financial position items and operations items. If you can manage to get the accounts under the right headings things can fall in place nicely.
Pretty much.

Glad I'm not in accounting anymore...as much I I found it easy, there would be times where I wouldn't be able to balance financial statements and begin to freak out. I remember writing a note for my ACCO 330 exam saying "I know it's not properly balanced but I just give up". Although managerial accounting is a whole different beast, and variance analysis just kills you on the final exam because it ends up making 70-80% of the exam.

Still ended up with an A, though.

Love marketing exams...no calculator needed and you don't need to study for 49324 hours to get a decent grade.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:39 AM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Ok thanks...I got sick last semester so had to defer comm305, just took it today and let's just say it was the worst exam experience I've ever had...six problem question with each containing five subquestions. I should have done it last semester when it was all multiple choice.
lol no, not any better. Everyone hated that format: no part marks and the "none of the above" option ruined everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Pretty much.

Glad I'm not in accounting anymore...as much I I found it easy, there would be times where I wouldn't be able to balance financial statements and begin to freak out. I remember writing a note for my ACCO 330 exam saying "I know it's not properly balanced but I just give up". Although managerial accounting is a whole different beast, and variance analysis just kills you on the final exam because it ends up making 70-80% of the exam.

Love marketing exams...no calculator needed and you don't need to study for 49324 hours to get a decent grade.
I was stuck doing the financial plan for the COMM 320 project and stayed up until 5 AM the day it was due trying to make everything balance. It drove me to the brink of insanity and I had no choice but to end it with “there’s a slight discrepancy in our calculations… Please disregard?”

Old
04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
couris

Just got COMM305 and got *****.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Pretty much.

It honestly is a terrible feeling spending 40 minutes on a question then not having it balance, having to work back through the problem to find a stupid mistake. Managerial at my school started out with variance analysis etc, but turned very quickly to theory / qualitative analysis, I don't like tests without my calculator .

Old
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Just got COMM305 and got *****.
At least I'm not the only one.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
lol no, not any better. Everyone hated that format: no part marks and the "none of the above" option ruined everything.
You would not be saying that if you had done this year's exam.

Closed Thread