HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
The Asian lounge was fun when they had the ping pong table and let us play NHL 11. I'd kick ass with the LA Kings. The only bad thing was the smell of food everywhere.

Anyways I know you guys graduated and all, if any of you still have 1-2 semesters left, check out Sylvain Pagé's class. Forgot the name, but it's a French class and it's basically a history class on sciences. Best class I've ever had, actually listened and learned so much ****.
They renovated the Asian Lounge. Looks pretty slick, still kind of intimidating for non-Asians.

Funny...I kick ass as the LA Kings in NHL 11 too - also, the class is called "Science Moderne" or something along those lines, tried to take it but was full, ended up with Gauvreau.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
For a Bruins fan, you've been pretty friendly and forthcoming. I cannot thank you enough (only kidding with that quip there ). As for the teachers, you only find out on reg day who they are for each section, or am I wrong? They're all TBA for Fall, as it stands from what I can tell.
Considering I deal with Habs on a daily basis, I'm used to speaking to them like normal human beings, unlike some Bruins fans on this forum.

In the end, we're all just hockey fans, right?

Old
04-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Did you have Gladu last Fall? Maybe we were in the same class! But yes, she's the best teacher you can take for COMM 210, I would say she's an extremely fair marker and knows her stuff so well that she will be able to understand your answers and reasoning on the exam despite the lack of quality (you'll realize that 3 hours goes by really fast in University). Her classes were also much more "interactive" which made the lectures less boring. I know other people in their COMM 210 who felt like killing themselves because the teacher would only talk for hours on end. She has interesting and fun activities, and most importantly they don't count for marks.
I had Barbara Reda for both 210 and 222....VERY hard marker. Wish I had another prof for those classes, but in the end, she's quite a good teacher.

Quote:
COMM 212: I had Philip Colas. Our group did extremely good work on the oral and he gave us an 85. I was really pissed, but then I realized that was the best grade in the class. For a guy who doesn't do much, he marks REALLY HARD. The good side to him is that his classes end early almost all the time, he's bat-**** funny and loves talking about his life, gives 30 mins lecture and lets you do your group project for the entire semester. I ended up with an A- but it was the best grade in class so can't complain. Also the exam is a joke no matter what.
I had Paul Labelle....don't think he teaches anymore, but he was a hard marker as well. Luckily our group killed our project and I aced to exam to get an A.

Quote:
COMM 215: Pick your poison.
Pretty much spot on. Just don't pick Bayne....worst professor EVER. I literally had to learn from the book myself because he kept making mistakes in class. Luckily got out with an A despite his ineptitude.

Quote:
COMM 217: Stanley Mroz. Stanley Mroz. Stanley Mroz. Stanley Mroz. Stanley Mroz. You can thank me later. I promise you, he'll make you succeed as long as you're willing to listen and do the work outside class (trust me, I didn't listen nor did work outside class, but I still managed to do okay, and I thank him). He's one of the best Accounting teachers at JMSB, anyone will tell you.
I had George Kanaan and he was fantastic, but I think he only teaches one section a semester. Takes time going over the material to make sure students understand the concepts and can apply it to problems.

Coldplay, as for when the names for professors are released, I think it's only done closer to the fall, so you can only pick classes based on professors during the summer. That's one downfall with the registration process.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
I had Barbara Reda for both 210 and 222....VERY hard marker. Wish I had another prof for those classes, but in the end, she's quite a good teacher.

I had Paul Labelle....don't think he teaches anymore, but he was a hard marker as well. Luckily our group killed our project and I aced to exam to get an A.

Pretty much spot on. Just don't pick Bayne....worst professor EVER. I literally had to learn from the book myself because he kept making mistakes in class. Luckily got out with an A despite his ineptitude.

I had George Kanaan and he was fantastic, but I think he only teaches one section a semester. Takes time going over the material to make sure students understand the concepts and can apply it to problems.

Coldplay, as for when the names for professors are released, I think it's only done closer to the fall, so you can only pick classes based on professors during the summer. That's one downfall with the registration process.
Yeah, pick your schedule based on time slot first. When the teachers names are released, see if you can make your schedule better.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
And name away hahaha, I don't talk to many girls, on account me me turning single for the first time like, last week.

Carrier's Comic Book class was a great time. One of the best classes I've taken, at least on an entertainment factor.

Also, I can relate to the whole Culture shock. From Chateauguay, I knew maybe like 3 people coming in, and the whole first semester I did the whole scene kid, wear tight clothes and don't talk to anyone. Now I still do that , but I talk to more people.
- Sorry to hear dude.

- It was fun for sure, just saying it was also very easy. His 103 class was boring though, 2 hour lecture and we weren't analysing drawings or visual symbols and the like.

- I only started meeting people partway through th first semester (and Coldplay only after weraing a Detroit shirt after they kicked Montreal's ass in a shootout ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
1) For the record, I have zero idea who Testament is. None.

2) "You guys are gonna see some ****ing **** in this class. So grow the **** up right now or this semester's not gonna be ****ing fun".

I agree with this. Definitely not "harder", it's the cliche that goes around before you even get to Marianopolis. Soon you're a master procrastinator.

And if my current social track record (in terms of fraternizing with members of the opposite sex) is any indication, I don't think JMSB will be any different than Mario.
- Who's this clown?

- Yeah, Carrier left a nice first impression

- Concerning Uni preparation, my theory is that Marian only teaches you how to procrastinate efficiently.

- Lies.

Kidding. I'm sorry for laughing haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah141 View Post
yoo! haha ya fre102 and higher is apparently killer, espec. if you have gauvreau (crazy mofo, mad jokes)
and ppl know me as shak (im in commerce)
where you headed for uni? man I barely use HF.. it's just soooo time consuming, but so satisfying at the same time lmao.

EDIT: and LMAO at the last names. SO TRUE.
EDIT2: and coldplay/testament. who you guys? it'd be so crazy to actually have known each other before, and not realizing it.
I might? I'm good with names, I'll take a shot: If you had this crappy architecture class first semester, I was the guy with the long curly hair (which is thankfully gone now).

If you see a good looking guy with a short, clean haircut and nice clothes, it's not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
@ Testament: You're lucky to be going into McGill education. A lot of girls from my high school (or at least the ones who could make it haha) are going there. Expect there to be a mad girl:guy ratio.
Was always aware of this (and not because of the whole "we need more male teachers!" thing ). Should be fun haha.

Last edited by Mount Royal: 04-16-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
MetroGnome

Coldplay, just to give you some more options:

210: Raymond Paquin. He’s a really good teacher but kind of a hard marker. When I took his class, he put together the groups so if you know someone in your class, you likely won’t be with them.

217: As someone already mentioned… Philipnery. He made the class so easy and he’s really cool.

220: I had Loretta Hung. She speaks non-stop for 3 hours straight and packs your brain with a lot of information by the end of class, but she’s a great teacher.

222: Tima Petrushka. She’s so sweet and nice, and gives great PPT slides. I just skimmed through the book because she marks easy.

224: I had Tieshan Li. He showed us Superbowl commercials every class and he explains the material very well. Again, I didn’t buy/read the book because his PPT slides were that detailed.

---
I don’t know if this is allowed, but does anyone buy photocopied books? I got a little paranoid the first time I visited one of those shops.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
I don’t know if this is allowed, but does anyone buy photocopied books? I got a little paranoid the first time I visited one of those shops.
As long as you don't bring them to class, you should be alright.

Profs are told to take photocopied books away from students, but some of them just don't care because they know the prices are outrageous.

Stores closed before I needed to buy books last semester which pissed me off. Ended up spending too much money for useless textbooks.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Profs are told to take photocopied books away from students, but some of them just don't care because they know the prices are outrageous.

Stores closed before I needed to buy books last semester which pissed me off. Ended up spending too much money for useless textbooks.
I get them from Asians. You call them, tell them what book/class you need them for, they meet with you around Verdun metro and done. Great quality and cheap too. They're even thoughtful enough to split the books into 2 if they're too big.

My COMM 217 teacher didn't even mind when I brought my photocopied book and asked him questions from it. That's a great teacher, there to teach and doesn't care what type of textbook you use. Obviously don't bring a photocopied book to the teacher that WROTE it (lol).

Old
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Edler View Post
Hey guys. I remember seeing an engineering thing on here a few weeks back, so I thought I'd ask a few quick questions myself (even though I'm new here and know none of you).

Anyways, I'm on the fence on whether to pursue engineering next year or life sciences. I love biology, I enjoy both chemistry and maths, and I can deal with physics. But, like, life sciences is such a broad term, and so is engineering is some cases. So, yeah.

Just wondering if any of you that are in either of these programs (or any specific branch of them) could let me know how you like your classes, campuses, communities, etc. Any feedback would be nice. I got accepted to life sci at U of T, and engi at Mac and U of T (only mining engi right now, waiting for response from track one), so any info on those would be extremely nice too.

Thanks guys.
I know you started this last year but I hope you didn't go to UofT....Life sci and other sciences like math, physics will make you work too hard and your prospective of going to grad school won't look too good afterwards.

The expected average will be a C or 67. Most of my TAs here didn't do their undergrad at UofT.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

wtf?

you guys got a PS3 in the student lounge now?

ps. hello cn_paladin

Old
04-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Andy

Just an a Final. It was an oral one on one with the prof about a philosopher we read the entire semester.

2 questions. I totally bombed the first, but owned the second. I'm ****ing scared!

Old
04-16-2011, 03:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
wtf?

you guys got a PS3 in the student lounge now?

ps. hello cn_paladin
Where?

I know there's a forum on H8 that's got like 20 PS3s, alienware computers and widescreen minitors.

Old
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Had an exam and I killed it.

I would be happier if I didn't need to do very well to simply pass the course but that's what being lazy and not doing assignments does.

Old
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
MetroGnome

Quote:

Yeah but what about the popo? Obviously I didn't go waving my book around but what are the consequences if I'm caught with one?

Old
04-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
Yeah but what about the popo? Obviously I didn't go waving my book around but what are the consequences if I'm caught with one?
I know some guy who was walking around JMSB and he got caught by someone (?) and received a fine.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
prevail

And done!

Good luck to the rest of you, god speed!

Old
04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Where?

I know there's a forum on H8 that's got like 20 PS3s, alienware computers and widescreen minitors.
What is this H8 you speak of?

Old
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
What is this H8 you speak of?
H building, 8th floor. The door is locked though, it's likely for comp/soft engineering or comp sci ppl for labs.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
H building, 8th floor. The door is locked though, it's likely for comp/soft engineering or comp sci ppl for labs.
Labs with alienware and ps3, right . I'm going to find a way in there. I am.

Old
04-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Did you have Gladu last Fall? Maybe we were in the same class! But yes, she's the best teacher you can take for COMM 210, I would say she's an extremely fair marker and knows her stuff so well that she will be able to understand your answers and reasoning on the exam despite the lack of quality (you'll realize that 3 hours goes by really fast in University). Her classes were also much more "interactive" which made the lectures less boring. I know other people in their COMM 210 who felt like killing themselves because the teacher would only talk for hours on end. She has interesting and fun activities, and most importantly they don't count for marks..
Yeah, I had Gladu last Fall

Old
04-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Its for the Computer Games Options students.
<------ Being one of them

I'll be using them next year for Intro to Game Development and Advanced Game Development. CAN'T WAIT!

I'm currently finishing up my Computer Graphics project we made a remake of Space Invaders I ****ing LOVE it!

Old
04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I worked extremely hard over the last 7 days to get ready for my two physics exams and I did both of them today. To be honest, I was extremely pessimistic but things went much better than I expected. I think I may have salvaged that semester. I still need one miracle however and it's not going to be easy. The difference this time is I do have some kind of motivation

Old
04-16-2011, 06:53 PM
prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
I worked extremely hard over the last 7 days to get ready for my two physics exams and I did both of them today. To be honest, I was extremely pessimistic but things went much better than I expected. I think I may have salvaged that semester. I still need one miracle however and it's not going to be easy. The difference this time is I do have some kind of motivation
Glad to hear it's going better man, you never know sometimes, I always feel awful after an exam but I always do well. You just gotta keep on pushing yourself and moving forward, take it one step at a time, if you try you're best (even if it's at the end of the semester), then there's nothing to be ashamed of really

Old
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Yeah, I had Gladu last Fall
Haha, who'd have guessed? It really is a small world!

Old
04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Haha, who'd have guessed? It really is a small world!
Indeed it is!

Did you have her on Tuesdays at 11:45-2:30?

Closed Thread