HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Garo

vCash: 500
One done (15 pages about the fall of the Soviet Union... Joy), two to go.

And three papers, but I try to ignore these.

Old
12-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
One done (15 pages about the fall of the Soviet Union... Joy)
Actually an interesting subject. What are you focusing on there? I had written a paper on shock therapy in Russia, so a few years after your period.

Old
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
One done (15 pages about the fall of the Soviet Union... Joy), two to go.

And three papers, but I try to ignore these.
Awesome subject! I really miss writing on interesting things.

Old
12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Actually an interesting subject. What are you focusing on there? I had written a paper on shock therapy in Russia, so a few years after your period.
It was two questions. One on how Gorbatchev's foreign affairs policies lead up to the fall of communism in East Europe, the other was about why the Soviet Union fell and why it was replaced by 15 states.

I liked the subject, though I wished the course focused more on Russia after the Soviet Union. What I hate is that I could barely write at the end and I have to do it again tomorrow

Old
12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

2 more exams: COMM 212 and DESC 200.

Not overly worried since they're all MC, but still...wanna get this stuff over with :/

Old
12-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

Not overly worried since they're all MC, but still...wanna get this stuff over with :/
Hey, I'm starting university next semester in January and I'm gonna be taking those courses. How would you rate their difficulty? You go to JMSB right?

A few questions to all JMSB students: How difficult is it to get around the school (ie: finding classes and stuff)? What should I get in order or get done before the semester starts?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Old
12-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

lol thursday and friday eh? DESC is going to be a breeze, and for COMM I'm just going to be reading the questions. No way I'm reading that behemoth of a book.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
Hey, I'm starting university next semester in January and I'm gonna be taking those courses. How would you rate their difficulty? You go to JMSB right?

A few questions to all JMSB students: How difficult is it to get around the school (ie: finding classes and stuff)? What should I get in order or get done before the semester starts?

Yes sir.

COMM 212 - I found it relatively easy, but the professor I had did not prepare us for the final at all. Out of 13 classes, 7 of them were spent on oral presentations.

DESC 200 - Easy, lol. No worries

I found the school pretty easy to navigate. Like most schools - a bit confusing at first, but you get used to it within a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
lol thursday and friday eh? DESC is going to be a breeze, and for COMM I'm just going to be reading the questions. No way I'm reading that behemoth of a book.
A friend of mine sent me a bunch of study questions for COMM 212.

And yeah, not overly worried about DESC. I just did my bonus practice exam in 15 minutes with absolutely no studying and got a B+. I want to review a little bit so I can pick it up to an A.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yes sir.

COMM 212 - I found it relatively easy, but the professor I had did not prepare us for the final at all. Out of 13 classes, 7 of them were spent on oral presentations.

I found the school pretty easy to navigate. Like most schools - a bit confusing at first, but you get used to it within a week or so.

A friend of mine sent me a bunch of study questions for COMM 212.

And yeah, not overly worried about DESC. I just did my bonus practice exam in 15 minutes with absolutely no studying and got a B+. I want to review a little bit so I can pick it up to an A.
Colas, Philippe.

lol.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:40 AM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post

Both classes are insanely easy! Both finals are nothing but MC and both can be written in under an hour. In addition, you'll get half the practice problems you do word-for-word on your final.

As for navigation, it's fairly simple. Like any school, once you find the classes you'll be in the first time, you're set for the rest of the semester.

The classes you'd normally take during the first semester (deficiencies, COMM 210, 212, 215, 217) are pretty easy. Don't screw them up though, because they'll help keep your GPA high when you get into harder classes, depending on your major.

There's nothing you need to do before the semester starts, but I do recommend getting your books as early as possible so that you don't fall behind immediately. Aside from that, do your homework and go to class, and you're set.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to send me a PM. I'm an student recruiter/ambassador/first-year mentor at JMSB, so it's sort of my job to do these kinds of things.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Yes sir.

That's because most of the material in COMM 212 is common sense. Plus, it makes sense that it's oral heavy, considering it's called Business Communication.

Yeah, IIRC, there's a database full of questions out there that preps you for the final. Is it still a 100 MC question exam? Took it two years ago so I have no idea. Apparently the final formats for COMM 305 and 308 changed from when I took them last year, so I'm just assuming that finals for all classes I took are different now.

Nice to see we have quite a JMSB contingent on here!

Old
12-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
That's because most of the material in COMM 212 is common sense. Plus, it makes sense that it's oral heavy, considering it's called Business Communication.

Yeah, IIRC, there's a database full of questions out there that preps you for the final. Is it still a 100 MC question exam? Took it two years ago so I have no idea. Apparently the final formats for COMM 305 and 308 changed from when I took them last year, so I'm just assuming that finals for all classes I took are different now.

Nice to see we have quite a JMSB contingent on here!
Not sure. My friend sent me like 800 practice questions which I assume are from past exams. I have about 50 per chapter. I'm told a lot of those question will re-appear on the exam.

But yeah, it seems like common sense. Still, gonna keep growing this fashionable exam beard since I believe it gives me good luck

Old
12-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post

The classes you'd normally take during the first semester (deficiencies, COMM 210, 212, 215, 217) are pretty easy. Don't screw them up though, because they'll help keep your GPA high when you get into harder classes, depending on your major.

This this this. After my first semester taking those four + Desc 200, I had a 3.98 GPA...now it's down to 3.77 (57 credits - 9 more to come after finals).

Old
12-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Not sure. My friend sent me like 800 practice questions which I assume are from past exams. I have about 50 per chapter. I'm told a lot of those question will re-appear on the exam.

But yeah, it seems like common sense. Still, gonna keep growing this fashionable exam beard since I believe it gives me good luck
Smart idea.

What are you taking next semester?

Old
12-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Smart idea.

What are you taking next semester?
220, 222, 224, 225, EDUC 298A (idk, seemed...interesting?)

Considering dropping the 224 (kinda at a crummy time - gives me a massive break on Wednesday. Plus, worried about course load).

Old
12-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
220, 222, 224, 225, EDUC 298A (idk, seemed...interesting?)

Considering dropping the 224 (kinda at a crummy time - gives me a massive break on Wednesday. Plus, worried about course load).
Those four classes plus an online elective shouldn't be too bad. I did the same thing my second semester - also the last time I took five classes in a semester.

220 requires the most work...not a fan of economics and never was. If you keep up with the work you should be fine though, ended up with a B+.

222 is OB which revolves around a lot of common sense, but then again, your marks depend on the teacher. 225 is easy if you attend class and keep up with the assignments, and 224 is essentially a rehash of intro to marketing classes from cegep.

If you drop 224, pick up MIS (Comm 301...or 226 I believe, don't know why they changed it). You can do it online and it's a breeze.

EDIT: My course load for the Winter:
MARK 405 --> Consumer Behaviour
MARK 462 --> World Business
MARK 491M --> Sports Marketing (awesome!)
and an online elective (haven't decided yet). I'm registered for COMM 401, but no way am I taking that at 5:45 on Thursdays...I want that block free. Keeping it for now just to see the course outline at the beginning of the semester to determine if I should take it in the summer or next fall.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Those four classes plus an online elective shouldn't be too bad. I did the same thing my second semester - also the last time I took five classes in a semester.

220 requires the most work...not a fan of economics and never was. If you keep up with the work you should be fine though, ended up with a B+.

222 is OB which revolves around a lot of common sense, but then again, your marks depend on the teacher. 225 is easy if you attend class and keep up with the assignments, and 224 is essentially a rehash of intro to marketing classes from cegep.
Well I'm still debating it. My intro to marketing class in CEGEP was utterly terrible, and the reason I pulled off a high 80 was because the 3 tests were all MC, on Scranton test sheets, and we were all squished inside a tiny room, and the teacher would leave the room for 30 minute periods without really caring.

It would have been irresponsible of me not to cheat, frankly.

Thanks for the preview. I hate economics also, but I guess I can't really get around it. May aswell get it over with, eh?

EDIT: I tried to switch into 226, but it was full

Old
12-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Well I'm still debating it. My intro to marketing class in CEGEP was utterly terrible, and the reason I pulled off a high 80 was because the 3 tests were all MC, on Scranton test sheets, and we were all squished inside a tiny room, and the teacher would leave the room for 30 minute periods without really caring.

It would have been irresponsible of me not to cheat, frankly.

Thanks for the preview. I hate economics also, but I guess I can't really get around it. May aswell get it over with, eh?

EDIT: I tried to switch into 226, but it was full
Yeah, it's best getting 220 over with early into your program when you are still doing 200 level courses.

Shame about 226. Oh well, you'll have an easy course in the summer/fall.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:02 AM
MetroGnome

How's COMM 320?

Worth taking it with ACCO 320, ACCO 330, and MARK 462?

Old
12-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

They offer Sports Marketing? That's exactly what I would want to do in business. I hope it's still being offered when I get up that far

Old
12-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

lol @ the grade distribution for my MARK 452 (strategic Internet marketing) class this semester:

18 A-
14 B+
11 B
5 B-
2 C+

Then again, with 80% of the assignments being group work, I guess it makes sense that the grade are not spread out.

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 12-15-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old
12-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
They offer Sports Marketing? That's exactly what I would want to do in business. I hope it's still being offered when I get up that far
Only one section and it's for the Winter semester...there should be a class every year, but it might not be available every semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
How's COMM 320?

Worth taking it with ACCO 320, ACCO 330, and MARK 462?
Um.....

Acco 320 is easier than Acco 310...don't ask me why but that's the consensus.
Acco 330 is alright, but the exam is killer because of variances. Still got an A though. I took Acco 320 and 330 in the same semester and came out alive.

And that was the end of my time as an accounting major lol. Switched to marketing this semester because I just don't see myself enjoying a career in that field.

Comm 320 is easy. The midterm and final are case analyses, and as long as you read the slides you'll be fine. The group project can be killer though, you need to work hard on that, especially if you have dead-weight in your group.

You shouldn't have any problems with that course load. Mark 462? I'm taking that too. Which section are you in?

Old
12-15-2010, 01:16 AM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Um.....

Acco 320 is easier than Acco 310...don't ask me why but that's the consensus.
Acco 330 is alright, but the exam is killer because of variances. Still got an A though. I took Acco 320 and 330 in the same semester and came out alive.

And that was the end of my time as an accounting major lol. Switched to marketing this semester because I just don't see myself enjoying a career in that field.

Comm 320 is easy. The midterm and final are case analyses, and as long as you read the slides you'll be fine. The group project can be killer though, you need to work hard on that, especially if you have dead-weight in your group.

You shouldn't have any problems with that course load. Mark 462? I'm taking that too. Which section are you in?
Good to hear. Marketing is my back-up major in case accounting fails.

462... Lec D. Looking for Lec C to open up. I dropped Sports Marketing a few days ago lol.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
Good to hear. Marketing is my back-up major in case accounting fails.

462... Lec D. Looking for Lec C to open up. I dropped Sports Marketing a few days ago lol.
Haha awesome, I'm in Lec D as well.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:24 AM
MetroGnome

Quote:
Haha awesome, I'm in Lec D as well.

Well, this was unexpected.

Closed Thread