HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filppula

Old
03-27-2010, 12:41 PM
arin1

vCash: 500
Filppula

I seem to remember alot of people really not giving Flip much love. He's going to be a first line player and score 80+pts. We're just gonna have to get him to shoot more, similiar to Datsyuk.

Seemed like the general consensus was he would top out at 50-60pts as a 2nd line center..

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
THW

I will hold off on my judgement, but I am happy to see him step up and am more impressed with his overall game than anything. I would like to see him take more shots instead of passing it off tho. I would like to see him on a real speed line more often as well. Think of a Dats-Flip-Helm line...oh muh Gud! The speed and hands...But I am very happy with Flip this year, Bravo to him.

THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:00 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin1 View Post
I seem to remember alot of people really not giving Flip much love. He's going to be a first line player and score 80+pts. We're just gonna have to get him to shoot more, similiar to Datsyuk.

Seemed like the general consensus was he would top out at 50-60pts as a 2nd line center..
If he continues playing like he is now and works on his weaknesses and gets more points, there is no reason why he could not be a solid top 2 player, certainly got the talent.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Anything you say about Filp, you have to keep in mind how young he is. He can still improve, his age definitely won't hold him back for some years to come.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Roy S

Flip is 26 years old and has the natural talent to keep improving. Z didn't hit his peak until age 27, Pavel became a Hart Trophy finalist for the first time at the age of 30, and Franzen had his best season last year at 29 years of age and may have beat that had he been healthy this year. Our guys tend to peak later than most and its possible that Flip does continue to get better. I doubt he will ever get to their level, but I fully expect him to end up being worth that contract.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
Flip is 26 years old and has the natural talent to keep improving. Z didn't hit his peak until age 27, Pavel became a Hart Trophy finalist for the first time at the age of 30, and Franzen had his best season last year at 29 years of age and may have beat that had he been healthy this year. Our guys tend to peak later than most and its possible that Flip does continue to get better. I doubt he will ever get to their level, but I fully expect him to end up being worth that contract.
Sure he may have peaked at 27, but he put up 85 points playing with Homer and Sammy at 25. Pavel was just shy of a PPG the last season prior to the lockout also at 25. Fil is 2-3 years behind, if he ever catches up, those two.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
chances14

Quote:

it's funny really. people always have to have at least one player that they rag on. first was jimmy howard earlier in the year. now that he has solidified himself as the number 1 goalie, people than began to rag on filppula. then it was ericcson. now that ericsson hasn't been as horrible, people have moved onto cleary. i wonder who it's going to be next?

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Dogkota

Quote:

He's been on a roll lately and it's been a huge boost to the team, but even with his recent play, what makes you think he's all of a sudden going to be a 1st line player with 80+ points?

You can't simply disregard the rest of the season because a guy has been playing well for a couple weeks. If you prorate his ppg to 82 games for this season, he still clocks in at 59 points. Flip has already become a good 2nd line player, but there hasn't been near enough consistency in his game to indicate that he's ready to make the next step. The difference between a 60 point player and an 80 point player is HUGE.

Filppula has the luxury of being on a line with Henrik Zetterberg that is, almost unbelievably, not the primary scoring threat on this team. He's got a ton of potential and has had more frequent flashes of brilliance of late, but you're getting ahead of yourself.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Jussha

i know its sounds nice and all to think that he can get 80 pts a season, but as much as I support the guy, I think his limit is 60-65 with maybe a career year around 70, and we as fans should be happy with that output.

This guy can be a permanent fixture to the second line which is what our team needs. If he were to all of a sudden become a 80 pt player that would be pretty awesome, but at the same time 3 years from now when we have to extend him he too becomes another 5.5-6 million dollar man possibly putting up points like that.

Him putting up 55-65 a season playing solid defensive two way hockey is perfect for the needs of our team and will keep him at a reasonable salary that we can afford long term over the next 6-8 years.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
i know its sounds nice and all to think that he can get 80 pts a season, but as much as I support the guy, I think his limit is 60-65 with maybe a career year around 70, and we as fans should be happy with that output.

This guy can be a permanent fixture to the second line which is what our team needs. If he were to all of a sudden become a 80 pt player that would be pretty awesome, but at the same time 3 years from now when we have to extend him he too becomes another 5.5-6 million dollar man possibly putting up points like that.

Him putting up 55-65 a season playing solid defensive two way hockey is perfect for the needs of our team and will keep him at a reasonable salary that we can afford long term over the next 6-8 years.
Solid post. I agree.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
it's funny really. people always have to have at least one player that they rag on. first was jimmy howard earlier in the year. now that he has solidified himself as the number 1 goalie, people than began to rag on filppula. then it was ericcson. now that ericsson hasn't been as horrible, people have moved onto cleary. i wonder who it's going to be next?
Good point.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Sure he may have peaked at 27, but he put up 85 points playing with Homer and Sammy at 25. Pavel was just shy of a PPG the last season prior to the lockout also at 25. Fil is 2-3 years behind, if he ever catches up, those two.
I know. His career trajectory is not on the same linear path that they showed. I didn't intend to compare him to then in the traditional sense. I was just showing that we may not have seen his best yet and he's not likely to decline during the duration of his contract.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:36 PM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Is everyone really that impressed with him?? Yes, I agree, his stats are great lately, but to me, it seems like he can't get his hands and feet to work well together. I've not been impressed with him...

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
I've been impressed with him. I hope Flip and Z keep playing and developing their chemistry together. It would be great to have two first lines... --> 2009.

Makes the future a bit brighter. Go Filppula!

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
I've been impressed with him. I hope Flip and Z keep playing and developing their chemistry together. It would be great to have two first lines... --> 2009.

Makes the future a bit brighter. Go Filppula!
Flip is a good player who can put up points in a complementary role.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Filppula has never been in the same breath as Howard, Lebda, Ericsson, etc. While hes been a controversial player, hes never been a whipping boy. Not even close.

As for the Zetterberg and Datsyuk comparisons, neither are even remotely warranted. Hank put up 44 points as a rookie, and then scored at a 57 point pace in his 2nd season - both in the clutch-and-grab era. Datsyuk put up 35 points in his rookie years on one of the deepest teams in NHL history. He then scored at a 65 point pace and a 74 point pace as a 24 and 25 year old, respectively - also in the dead puck era. An era where 50 goal scorers and 100 point players where extinct.

Since the Zetterberg comparison seems to be so commonly thrown about, Hank scored at a 90 point pace post-lockout as a 25/26 year old. Filppula? Scoring at a 59 point pace at the same age post-lockout.

I'm not sure exactly what this thread is trying to prove, other than that Filppula is producing exactly as expected in a 2nd line role with a great player on his line - 59 points over an 82 game season. If anything, whats funny is projecting a 26 year old who might have scored 60 points this year, to be an 80 point player in the next.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:28 AM
FissionFire

Hudler is still better.....

(Sorry couldn't resist )

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I've been saying Filppula would be a 70 point play in his future for over a year now. I don't have the time to dig through the threads to find the last Filp projection thread, but I recall getting jumped all over for saying that. Not saying its going to happen but it looks alot more likely as of late.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
DetBigWangs

I always thought that Hudler, Filppula and Franzen were probably the best secondary scoring option in the league when we had them. Not by their production but from the flashes they showed. Franzen broke out and started to live up to his potential, maybe others can do the same.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Sure he may have peaked at 27, but he put up 85 points playing with Homer and Sammy at 25.
You say that like playing with Homer and Sammy is some kind of impediment to offensive production. That's more or less all those two guys do is produce points.

Quote:
Pavel was just shy of a PPG the last season prior to the lockout also at 25. Fil is 2-3 years behind, if he ever catches up, those two.
This isn't explicitly directed at Nick, but can people please stop trying to compare Fil to Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg, and then using the reality that he's just not as good as those two as some kind of basis for concern?

I mean, come on. Fil's a good player in his own right and I think it's at least a little important that people view him in a more reasonable context.

An encouraging thing is that Fil's been a very productive and impactful player in a significant top 6 role

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
stellar

nah he's definitely my favorite on the red wings.. been since the beginning of this season

stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
You just take Williams, Meech and Lebda. They're consistantly bad so it's much easier.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote