HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke gone in Van...

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 02:34 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Burke gone in Van...

TSN is reporting TSN tha Burke will not be offered a contract. Should we offer him a job as an assistant? I do think he is a pretty good GM. Would he accept an assistant GM job with the Oilers?

Old
05-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Oilers Hockey

yes. I believe we're already going to be a team that has some playoff success - not just regular season success like the Canucks - very soon. I think Burke can be a big part of helping win us the Cup.

Old
05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
mackdogs*

I couldn't see him (read his ego) taking anything but a GM role or something higher on the corporate ladder. I honestly wouldn't want him as an assistant - I'd see him overstepping bounds, basically trying to call the shots, that seems like the kind of guy he is.

Most Vancouver fans agree that he didn't address what needed addressing in his tenure in this city - a bonafide #1 goaltender. This along with his love for Europeans (sedin sisters et al) I can't see him fitting in here. Plus he isn't Oilers alumni....

Old
05-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Oilers Hockey

Vancouver's 1-4 track record in the playoffs isn't Burke's fault, its a case of Vancouver fans grossly overrating their team. They are not contenders. They will not be contenders next year. They will never win the Cup because of flat-out bad goaltending and no grit. He was a quality GM though.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Mr Sakich

I liked him as a GM but his reputation is better than his performance. The only problem I have with him is that his grumpy, "we were screwed" tirade gets repeated every 2nd week and kinda loses its effectiveness. I can't recall him ever smiling during an interview.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
I couldn't see him (read his ego) taking anything but a GM role or something higher on the corporate ladder. I honestly wouldn't want him as an assistant - I'd see him overstepping bounds, basically trying to call the shots, that seems like the kind of guy he is.

Most Vancouver fans agree that he didn't address what needed addressing in his tenure in this city - a bonafide #1 goaltender. This along with his love for Europeans (sedin sisters et al) I can't see him fitting in here. Plus he isn't Oilers alumni....
The Vancouver Sun ran a poll recently that had 76% of Vancouverites wanting Burke back as GM. Burke's 'love for Europeans' I dismiss too - the Canucks have I believe more Canadians than all but 2 or 3 teams in the league (at least, we did at one time, this might have changed recently). Off the top of my head:

Morrison, Bertuzzi, Sanderson, Cooke, Linden, May, Jovanovski, Sopel, Allen, Bergevin, Cloutier, Auld all Canadian. Kesler is the lone American. 13 North Americans ... compare that with the Oilers:

Smyth, Torres, York, Horcoff, Reasoner, Moreau, Isbister, Laraque, Stoll, Brewer, Smith, Staios, Bergeron all Canadian, Conklin the lone American. That's 14 North Americans.

It's too bad Burke had to leave, I think he was the best GM the Canucks franchise has ever had. Thankfully, we have two very, very capable assistant GM's in Steve Tambellini & David Nonis. Still, I am pretty sour at this mess though.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:31 PM
HarryStrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Smyth, Torres, York, Horcoff, Reasoner, Moreau, Isbister, Laraque, Stoll, Brewer, Smith, Staios, Bergeron all Canadian, Conklin the lone American. That's 14 North Americans.

It's too bad Burke had to leave, I think he was the best GM the Canucks franchise has ever had. Thankfully, we have two very, very capable assistant GM's in Steve Tambellini & David Nonis. Still, I am pretty sour at this mess though.
Marty Reasoner and Mike York are also Americans...

No doubt Brian Burke will be getting all kinds of offers. All things considered, he leaves a pretty decent legacy in Vancouver.

Old
05-03-2004, 03:55 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStrand
Marty Reasoner and Mike York are also Americans...
Fernando Pisani hails from Edmonton as well. Same with Jason Chimera.

Old
05-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Fernando Pisani hails from Edmonton as well. Same with Jason Chimera.
Same with Jason King & Mike Keane for Vancouver, forgot them.

Old
05-03-2004, 04:03 PM
momentai

Quote:
Same with Jason King & Mike Keane for Vancouver, forgot them.
We could also include Lynch and Bobby Allen as they were both called up at some point this year.

EDIT: Forgot little Mike Bishai. Don't want to overlook him and his bench fight.

Old
05-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Mizral

Okay, at the same time I could include Nathan Smith, Pat Kavanaugh, and Tyler Bouck

EDIT: I almost forgot! Everyones favorite UBC goaltender.. Chris Levesque! Hahahahaha

Old
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
I almost forgot! Everyones favorite UBC goaltender.. Chris Levesque! Hahahahaha
I remember when he got called up for emergencies. He looked scared stiff. LOL.

Reminds of that time when the Oilers weren't sure if Valiquette was going to show up in time... and they were thinking of dressing their practice goalie - one of the trainers or video coaches or something like that. I can't remember the name of course. Anybody want to help me out? Was it Brian Ross or something?

Old
05-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Reminds of that time when the Oilers weren't sure if Valiquette was going to show up in time... and they were thinking of dressing their practice goalie - one of the trainers or video coaches or something like that. I can't remember the name of course. Anybody want to help me out? Was it Brian Ross or something?
Yeah it was Brian "Rosco" Ross the video coach. But it was last year and it was conklin they were waiting to arrive in Chicago not Valiquette. Rosco actually played in the warm up I believe!

Old
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Yeah it was Brian "Rosco" Ross the video coach. But it was last year and it was conklin they were waiting to arrive in Chicago not Valiquette. Rosco actually played in the warm up I believe!

yup guy wins a prize
"here you go, a phone to pay for my pizza tonight"

and mirxal you forgot Cross and Ferguson
and ex oilers Peter Sarno

Last edited by Vyse64: 05-03-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old
05-03-2004, 08:04 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Got the name right... but not the year. 1/2 isn't that bad.

Sorry s7ark, this thing got a little offtopic. On the topic of Burke... I don't believe (like the posters above have said) his ego would allow him to fill any type of assistant role. He's rather arrogant and probably would accept no less than full control. So unless the organization decides Kevin Lowe isn't the man for the job, it isn't likely that Burke will come to Edmonton.

However, it would be nice if we could get Burke to work on the financial/contract negotiations. He's an absolute bear in that respect and something I would want Lowe to copy at least somewhat. Obviously, I don't want him to begin to alienate players like Burke did to Schaefer.. but it would do well, I think, to play with that bull kind of mentality in contract negotiations that Burke can play.

Old
05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Should we offer him a job as an assistant?
What about the head job? would anyone here like to see that change made at EDM's GM position?

Old
05-03-2004, 09:17 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
What about the head job? would anyone here like to see that change made at EDM's GM position?

Oooooo I don't think I like that. I think Lowe will be here for a bit. I am not willing to give Burke Lowe's job.

I agree that his ego would come into play. That is too bad, I really would have liked him in the organization

Old
05-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Mizral

Momentai -

David Nonis, Canucks Assistant General Manager, handles the contracts. Part of the reason he is probobly the favorite for the job if GM job is a 'promote from within' situation.

Old
05-03-2004, 11:21 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Vancouver's 1-4 track record in the playoffs isn't Burke's fault, its a case of Vancouver fans grossly overrating their team. They are not contenders. They will not be contenders next year. They will never win the Cup because of flat-out bad goaltending and no grit. He was a quality GM though.
exactly. could not have said it better myself. its time they realize it isn't a fluke this team flops out of the playoffs every year. three players cannot carry a team to win a cup-that's what makes winning it so special-and that is also the thing that will keep the canucks from ever winning it. When other teams kick it into high gear in the playoffs, naslund, bertuzzi, and jovanovski also do, but what good is that going to do given the rest of the bums on that team. i'm sick of hearing how vancouver is a contender, when they haven't made the conference finals, let alone the final dance. time to wake up and smell the sugar on the east coast, cause its bittersweet

Old
05-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Oi'll say!

There are some pretty obvious things to dislike about Burke, but it's tough to argue with his overall success.

He made the team competitive, got the books in the black, sold out 86 straight games or some such, and started the Canucks online ticket resale (scalping) thing.

If Bert wasn't such a neanderthal and Cloutier wasn't injured his team would probably be playing tonight.

Maybe personality conflicts were the main reason? If not, the 'Nux probably made a mistake.

Old
05-04-2004, 01:57 AM
momentai

Quote:
Momentai -

David Nonis, Canucks Assistant General Manager, handles the contracts. Part of the reason he is probobly the favorite for the job if GM job is a 'promote from within' situation.
Hmmm.. interesting. Then the situation that arised with Schaefer was a result of Nonis? It sure seemed like Burke was spearheading that incident due to the comments he released into the media. But thanks for the information.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Hmmm.. interesting. Then the situation that arised with Schaefer was a result of Nonis? It sure seemed like Burke was spearheading that incident due to the comments he released into the media. But thanks for the information.
Well, Burke spearheads *all* comments released to the media. Nonis is more of a background guy.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
TSN is reporting TSN tha Burke will not be offered a contract. Should we offer him a job as an assistant? I do think he is a pretty good GM. Would he accept an assistant GM job with the Oilers?
I didn't know that the Oilers were unhappy with the job Assistant GM Scott Howson was doing.

Burke is good for a laugh in front of the media but there's no way the Oilers will approach him for any position with the club.

if the Rangers start to faulter again next season he might steal Sather's job. Burke needs a stage.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Personally, I think Burke was one of the best things about Vancouver. Unfortunately, the ownership didn't feel the same way. I would credit Burke for having created any success of the Canucks in the past few years. After this season he promised changes and he would have delivered. Unfortunately he won't get the chance.

The ownership has someone else in mind for the job - we'll just wait and see who that is. I'm guessing if it's Tambellini he'll do a good job as well. It's just a shame to see Burke go. Now Canucks fans will have to rely on Crow's faltering soprano, and Naslund's yawn-inducing rhetoric instead of some real juicy commentary from Burke.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:46 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
What exactly has Burke done in Vancouver?

Not being an ass by any stretch, but everytime I hear of a move it's "No, that wasn't Burke, that was so and so..."

I mean Jovonovski wasn't Burke. Naslund wasn't. Bertuzzi wasn't. Ohlund wasn't. That is the major core of the Canucks, and Burke didn't have a hand in any of it.

I know he brought in the Sedins, Linden and Malik, which are all part of the 2nd tier group of guys. I can't remember if Cloutier was a Burke thing or not...

But I mean he has one of the top groups of 4 in the league, and he hasn't added anything to them.

Closed Thread