HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

(Or lack there of) Filip Kuba

Old
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Are you guys crazy? Kuba, even playing injured for a lot of the year, was still on pace for 43 points. That would be real nice in our lineup where we're depending on a 19 year old to be our sole offensive producer from the defense.

I'm not sure what Kuba did to deserve the hate he's getting, but he'd be a real welcome addition to our lineup come playoff time. And unlike pretty much all of our defesneman outside of Philchenkov, he actually has a decent amount of playoff experience.
This & he's a 6'5" guy who is decent at both ends of the ice, he's alot more important to this team than Campolli or Lee.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
Filip who? With the play of our D, is there even a great enough need for him? I mean, Camps has played well, Carkner is Carkner, Karlsson... nuff said, Sutton is God, Philchenkov is pretty damn solid...

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Zorf

Jesus tap-dancing Christmas Trees, what's the deal here?

Carkner adds most of his value because he is the team's enforcer. Have all of you missed the memo about there being almost no fighting in the playoffs? Chris Neil can easily handle any of the fighting that needs to be done.

Also, Carkner is at best a 5th d-man. Kuba is a 2nd. How can anyone possibly argue that Kuba is not needed?

Campoli has upped his phyiscal game and he has a great deal more foot speed than Carkner and he can play on the 2nd PP.

I hope Kuba can come back healthy because having him on the 3rd pairing, playing 12-14 minutes ES and 2nd unit PP is better than having Carkner.

I am a big fan of Carkner, but he has his limitations that Kuba exceeds.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
Jesus tap-dancing Christmas Trees, what's the deal here?

Carkner adds most of his value because he is the team's enforcer. Have all of you missed the memo about there being almost no fighting in the playoffs? Chris Neil can easily handle any of the fighting that needs to be done.

Also, Carkner is at best a 5th d-man. Kuba is a 2nd. How can anyone possibly argue that Kuba is not needed?

Campoli has upped his phyiscal game and he has a great deal more foot speed than Carkner and he can play on the 2nd PP.

I hope Kuba can come back healthy because having him on the 3rd pairing, playing 12-14 minutes ES and 2nd unit PP is better than having Carkner.

I am a big fan of Carkner, but he has his limitations that Kuba exceeds.
Agreed - I don't think losing Kuba is make or break, but I can't believe people are saying we are better without him

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Classless Goon
-_-

The lack of clarity in news reports about Kuba, and the whole situation as a whole is getting quite frustrating.

Was he expected to miss the remainder of the regular season, or where they saying he was not gonna come back at all this year, including the playoffs? Anyone can clarify this?

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
Filip who? With the play of our D, is there even a great enough need for him? I mean, Camps has played well, Carkner is Carkner, Karlsson... nuff said, Sutton is God, Philchenkov is pretty damn solid...
Sutton isn't God. It would make a world of difference if Karlsson was paired with Kuba and Sutton stuck to the bottom pairing with one of Campoli/Carkner.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

For a big man he may not be as physical as some of us would like but a healthy Kuba is top 4 on this team. Who he displaces is another matter. One can make an argument as to whether it's Campoli or Carkner but to say Kuba is not needed is not realistic.

For me Campoli would sit out. As much as he's upped his physical game a bit, most of the time the 3rd pairing plays against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines. Those energy players try to hit and hem the D in so I'd prefer seeing a Carkner / Sutton or Carkner / Kuba combination. These big men can take a hit and fight off some of those big forwards. Kuba can play the PP too so we don't need Campoli for that.

No matter who sits first, if the Sens go deep in the playoffs all 7 of the regular D will get to play. If Kuba can't play at all then at some point, they'll be forced to fall back to Lee or one of the new guys but that could never be considered an upgrade like having Kuba would be.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Kuba is a decent player.

He didn't have a great season but mainly people are annoyed with his play when he was obviously injured.

However, he's got good offensive instincts and while not overly physical, he can use his size effectively to separate his man from the puck and doesn't get run over the way Campoli does at times.

And I agree Campoli has been playing some of his best hockey lately, but I'd still rather have a healthy Kuba.

Obviously salaries complicate things in the off-season.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Just heard on TSN, hes having surgery on a herniated disk and is out for the remainder of the year pretty much....BEST CASE SCENARIO he could be back in the 2nd round.

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Catches Bass View Post
Just heard on TSN, hes having surgery on a herniated disk and is out for the remainder of the year pretty much....BEST CASE SCENARIO he could be back in the 2nd round.
Team1200 says up to 4 weeks.

If that's all it was, why the heck did they wait?????

Edit:
Ottawa Citizen (Panzeri) now says 4 weeks is minimum and likely more. Doesn't look like Kuba tolerates pain very well so it's probably more.

Last edited by Tundraman: 04-08-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:19 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Edit:
Ottawa Citizen (Panzeri) now says 4 weeks is minimum and likely more. Doesn't look like Kuba tolerates pain very well so it's probably more.
A herniated disk is probably pretty ****ing painful.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
A herniated disk is probably pretty ****ing painful.
I've known a few people who have had them and they sure do look damn painful. Getting smoked into the boards with one of those is certainly something to avoid.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote