HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Would you want Vincent Lecavlier?

Old
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I definitely think you could, maybe not 2 but there has to be an incentive for the other team, even if it's for scaps TB still makes out better in the end cause they don't have the 7 million cap hit for the next 10 years. It would have to be Vinny and probably a top end prospect for scraps. Or Vinny and a first for scraps. His 70 pts don't equal the HUGE cap hit he has for the next decade.
More important for Tampa is the 10 million a year salary for the next six years !!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
TB would have to seriously overpay to get any team to take that awful awful contract. If I was Burke and TB came to me about taking on Vinny's deal I would seriously tell Lawton * sure we'll take it, but we also want 2 first round picks and a decent prospect *

Why any team would give anything of substance up for Vinny is crazy. That contract is basically untradeable. unless like I said TB sweets the pot BIG TIME.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
with bozak and kadri, there's no room for vinny.
You need more than 1 NHL centre.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I definitely think you could, maybe not 2 but there has to be an incentive for the other team, even if it's for scaps TB still makes out better in the end cause they don't have the 7 million cap hit for the next 10 years. It would have to be Vinny and probably a top end prospect for scraps. Or Vinny and a first for scraps. His 70 pts don't equal the HUGE cap hit he has for the next decade.

Your hoping for 100 point Vinny, but will settle with 70 point Vinny. I'm not at all saying I would or would not, unless I've tried the UFA and another trade route, but I just don't see the precedent for TB to pay to get someone to take Vinny, especially with 1st round draft picks. We are talking about an overpaid player, and not a bad player.

TB can use those picks and a prospect to add a number of cheap younger players to overcome the cost of Vinny.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Leaf Army

His contract is obviously a huge stumbling block. But it doesn't scare me quite as much as it does some other people because I think he's still an elite player who needs a change of scenery.

But with Bozak's emergence it really decreases our need for a center. I think Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel have shown they can be a top 2 line.

What we need now is another top 2 line that's just as good as that one is.

Kadri is the starting point but we need an elite winger to play with him.

So I say no to Vinny.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:48 PM
PlietscherDassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATribeQ View Post
Dont need a contract like his on this team.
This. He is a great player but i dont like his contract at all.

PlietscherDassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Crustacean

I find it strange people are assuming Kadri will be the saviour for the leafs next year. Sure, he is a dominant player in the minors, but I don't think that the leafs should rush him. He is not a big guy, and it really showed in his call up this season that his current skill set will not directly translate into NHL success.

If I were BB, and Kadri doesn't beef up big time for next season, I'd let him play in the AHL. I'd rather have him dominate the AHL for a season or two than see him get rushed into the NHL.

Back to the topic - I'm still pro-Vinny. I would have no problem seeing Bozak on the 3rd line in a couple years, having Vinny/Kadri(if he pans out) as the 1/2 punch down the middle. Bozak is playing well, but he hasn't cemented himself as a top-2 centre IMO. Keep in mind that we saw very similar play from Stajan and Steen when they first got to our club - and where are they now?

Crustacean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Absolutely... At worst he is a fantastic 2nd line Centre... at best an all-star that can lead a team... and by next year he should be fully healthy... I've watched him a lot recently and he's looking like the Vinny of old, extremely dangerous

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Revolt

People are forgetting, that we don't have to give up assets for him. Think about it, the Lightning would only deal him to shed salary to lock up stamkos. Therefore, they are not in a position of power to request any assets we have. You could probaby trade Grabovski and a mid round pick and land Lecavlier just because they would save around 4m cap space.

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar View Post
He's a good player, but I really don't like the term. I'd look at Ryan Malone though.

I agree, Something tells me Burke and Nonis will look at Malone too

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post
People are forgetting, that we don't have to give up assets for him. Think about it, the Lightning would only deal him to shed salary to lock up stamkos. Therefore, they are not in a position of power to request any assets we have. You could probaby trade Grabovski and a mid round pick and land Lecavlier just because they would save around 4m cap space.
More importantly, $7 000 000.

Old
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
ansah

Quote:
what about 8m per for 10years? you pay him?

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Stats01

Quote:
yeah but again the cap comes in to play, sure your giving up scraps but his contract will hinder the team for years especially when he hits his mid 30's No matter what we give up it could be Jeff Finger for all I care, I would still want something more coming than just Vinny to intrique me. Vinny IMO is seriously starting to decline

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

"At 29
he's on the decline".

Old
03-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Not Brad Richards? The Con Symthe winner.
No Vinny, the guy that set the tone in the final series, set up the winning goal on a sick play, the guy that fought Iginla... If Lecavalier didn't struggle in the opening series against the Islanders he would have won the Trophy. He dominated Montreal, he set the tone physically against philly and got the team rolling

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:09 PM
birddog*

Quote:
With Tampa having to sign Stamkos, i am assuming that they will have to get rid of Lecavlier or St.Louis. Would any of you be interested on gambling on Lecavlier (Even though he has a huge contract) and hope he returns to form playing with Kessel?

Honestly, i would love to see Lecavlier center Kessel. I read an article from Ulmer i believe, and his cap hit would be around 7.5m.

He started off the season slow, and now he plays on the second line with those not so brilliant wingers. Decent numbers though.

75 Games, 22 Goals, 44 Assists, 66 Points

Discuss!
Nope at 10 mil per for the next umpteen years no way you can hijack your payroll like that.

He's a boat anchor. Even with planty of talent in TB he doesn't lead - well that's not true he leads them to some pretty good draft picks every year. Stamkos, Hedman....so maybe he does have value...

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
embracedbias

I'd consider it, but not to play with Kessel. He's not really a playmaker. Although, if Kadri were converted to the wing, it could work out.

Caputi - Lecavalier - Kadri
Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
Stalberg - XXXX - XXXX

or

Kulemin - Lecavalier - Caputi
Stalberg - Kadri - Kessel
XXXX - Bozak - XXXX

It would also depend on the cost. Something like the following would entice me:

Grabovski & Finger

for

Lecavalier

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
HockeyAustralia

Nope, hes overrated.

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:42 AM
BlueBomber76

No

..... HELL NO !!

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
noobman

It's a big risk, for sure.

On one hand, a change of scenery might be all that Lecavalier needs. If, however, he's past the point of redemption, he just becomes an overpaid 1st line centre.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
It would also depend on the cost. Something like the following would entice me:

Grabovski & Finger

for

Lecavalier
Grabo and Finger are both signed through the 2011/2012 season. Combined they carry a $12.95M investment for that span (Grabo 2.85M, 3.1M; Finger 3.5M, 3.5M). They're off the books in two years.

Lecavalier is signed through the 2019/2010 season with $75M remaining (10M, 10M, 10M, 10M, 10M, 10M, 8.5M, 4M, 1.5M, 1M).

It's bad business, for multiple reasons, to make that move or anything like it. This is real life, things have to be thought through first.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
SprDaVE

If Burke can get Lecavalier at a Phaneuf-esque price, I think he would trade for him.

I doubt it happens but if he trades for him, give him the key to the city.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
pspot

I suggested something like

Kaberle, Grabo and Stefanovich for Lecaliver, TBs 1st and filler if need

Idea is that you get a legit #1 C, size up the middle, and a true leader who has won the cup in Lecalvier. IMO he'd be huge for the fwd group and essentially a Phanuef for upfront.

The 10 years is a lot to eat so the 1st is key for that and would be great to recoup.

Most TB fans shot this down but honestly this is a team that I can't see making that much if anything so the upfront structure of the contract has to be killing them and with the emergence of Stamkos they will have to pay this kid in a year and if they don't move lecalvier will be right back where they started with a big three, no depth and losing money.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Greenstein View Post
I would definately explore the option of getting Vinny. But for starters, tampa would need to take on a crap contract or two...and I would not give anything notable up in exchange...perhaps Tampa would have to give us something in terms of prospect or draft pick to make it worth our risk. It's very risky though not saying I'd jump at the chance to get him, Tampa really has to make it worth our while.
On 2nd thought No Movement Clause = No Thank You.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
mbrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I suggested something like

Kaberle, Grabo and Stefanovich for Lecaliver, TBs 1st and filler if need

Idea is that you get a legit #1 C, size up the middle, and a true leader who has won the cup in Lecalvier. IMO he'd be huge for the fwd group and essentially a Phanuef for upfront.

The 10 years is a lot to eat so the 1st is key for that and would be great to recoup.

Most TB fans shot this down but honestly this is a team that I can't see making that much if anything so the upfront structure of the contract has to be killing them and with the emergence of Stamkos they will have to pay this kid in a year and if they don't move lecalvier will be right back where they started with a big three, no depth and losing money.
I completely agree, I would definitely deal for Lecavalier, but the salaries have to match going out,

So Kaberle and Grabovski for Lecavalier as the principle of any deal.

One thing this team lacks is a size down the middle and I think Vinny would address that instantly.

Bozak, Kessel and Kulemin have chemistry together right now, so i dont think i would mess with that, but putting him with Caputi and another UFA winger would be nice.

mbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote