HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anderson needs rest - give Budaj chance

Old
03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

vCash: 500
Anderson needs rest - give Budaj chance

To continue from GDT.

Yes, Anderson is great, he held this team on his shoulders most of the season, but he's obviously depleted. He never played so much games in his career, and this became obvious every day. Please rest him fo a while.

Stats are not his friend. After Olympics brake he only shutout Florida, and I would mention monster saves against Dallas two weeks ago. Every other team scored against us at least three goals (except Phoenix 3rd game and Florida).

Detroit 3, Anaheim 3, Phoenix 2, St. Louis 3, Vancouver 5, Florida 0, Dallas 3, Calgary 3, Los Angeles 4, Los Angeles 3, Phoenix 5.

34 goals in 11 games = 3,09 GAA

And I don't say he's guilty for all those goals, but for some is.

Please Budaj starts against Sharks.

Boris RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Oh boy..thanks for doing my homework. I was going to check Andy's stats for the last 10 games.

I'd say start Boods.. how bad can it be?

Last edited by Mules: 03-27-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I support this message.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
With that thread , you're answering my question about how we did since the olympics .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
The Sharks game and the next game. plz

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
I fully support giving Budaj another 3-4 starts before the playoffs start. He's been rather solid for us this year and Anderson is not playing up to his usual standards. Give Andy a breather so that he'll be more refreshed come playoff time. At this point Calgary is collapsing so hard I don't see us missing the playoffs even if we continue limping along as we have since the trade deadline.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

I'd also like to see Budaj start.

The only thing that sort of worries me is that Anderson had two entire weeks off, and even after that he hasn't played nearly as well as he previously had.

(which makes me think that it might not be an issue of rest)

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:13 AM
HockeyDonkey33

I am wondering if maybe PL or GS maybe said to Sacco at the start of this year "Hey we have an un-tested starter goalie here, I want you to really put it all on this guy, see how far he can go and then push him further. Then we can figure out if we have the position solid or we have to shop."

I really can't see how Andy has made the decision to play each night with how his focus is right now. He is a great goalie no doubt, he got us to where he is. You can't say that there has been some real differences in his play post Olympics to pre. I know I have been holding my breath a bit more, or just cheering him on a bit more than normal...

HockeyDonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

He needs to be shut down for a few games. But you know he won't be. I would be shocked if Boods plays at all the rest of the year barring injury.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Omz

I think a week off could do the guy some good... Sacco just seems to have such limitless faith in Andy despite how bad he's been of late..

And yeah, he had a shutout, but it was against the lolpanthers.. Eastern Conference bottom 5 teams would probably do about as well as the Oilers this season in the Bestern Conference..

Omz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:03 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
1 goal was his fault (3rd goal) against the Coyotes, but imo he hasn't been making that "big save" every club needs. Which he did at the beginning of the season.

Example: We dominated the first 5 minutes of the 3rd and then they come down and score. That kills everything the team had going. Yes it was Kyle C. fault no doubt about it, but still it sucks.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph VII;24775623[B
]1 goal was his fault[/B] (3rd goal) against the Coyotes, but imo he hasn't been making that "big save" every club needs. Which he did at the beginning of the season.

Example: We dominated the first 5 minutes of the 3rd and then they come down and score. That kills everything the team had going. Yes it was Kyle C. fault no doubt about it, but still it sucks.
He has been doing that a lot lately, one bad goal a game.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
NWAvsFan

I like the idea of giving him rest on the back to back (tonight) but that is it. Lets see what he can do. If we have kinks to expose in our guys games lets do it early (now) so we can work them out over the next couple of years. Besides, the rest at the Olympic break didn't do Andy or the team any good.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Adama0905

The fact is that Budaj needs to start a few down the stretch anyway. Do we really want to go in to the Playoffs with a gassed Anderson?

How Sacco deals with this problem will go a far way in my judgment of him.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph VII View Post
1 goal was his fault (3rd goal) against the Coyotes, but imo he hasn't been making that "big save" every club needs. Which he did at the beginning of the season.

Exactly. He hasn't been terrible, but he has DEFINITELY lacked the "it" factor he had the entire season. Every single goal he has let in lately has been a back-breaker.

Old
03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
the_fan

If only avs had smart coach who realized that Anderson needed rest, and i wish someone told Sacco that he's scratching the wrong players. Why is Liles scratched instead of Salei or Clark?

Whats with the avs coaches lately anyways? it seems like they come in and look good for a while then all of the sudden it's like they forget how to coach a team. This team is way too far away from becoming a cup contender, and it hurts to say it.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

It's sad to say but i think we are paying the price from all those starts on the first half of the season. Remember when Budaj had the H1N1 , I was in the couple few that wanted Tyler Weiman to start a game and give Andy a break.

We dont have to look very far . When you look at a hockey schedule and you see back-to-back games , usually a coach make sure to give one of those two games to the backup , so that the starter would rest .How many time did we see Andy in net for both games ? a lot of time and i think that we are paying the price , right now . Man , it's hockey 101 that usually , a backup should get arround 20 starts a season . Unless you're Brodeur or Luongo ... We dont have to look very far, we only have to look in our yard . The most starts Andy had , was 31 , last year and now he will break the record of ... Patrick Roy , for starts in a season . hello ?

Old
03-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It's sad to say but i think we are paying the price from all those starts on the first half of the season. Remember when Budaj had the H1N1 , I was in the couple few that wanted Tyler Weiman to start a game and give Andy a break.

We dont have to look very far . When you look at a hockey schedule and you see back-to-back games , usually a coach make sure to give one of those two games to the backup , so that the starter would rest .How many time did we see Andy in net for both games ? a lot of time and i think that we are paying the price , right now . Man , it's hockey 101 that usually , a backup should get arround 20 starts a season . Unless you're Brodeur or Luongo ... We dont have to look very far, we only have to look in our yard . The most starts Andy had , was 31 , last year and now he will break the record of ... Patrick Roy , for starts in a season . hello ?
Well, to be fair, Patrick Roy was never really a work horse.

Old
03-28-2010, 10:34 AM
jaisen73

Giving Budaj the start vs. the Sharks makes sense and I'd give him the game against Anaheim coming up. And hopefully with a few games left to go a berth is clinched and he could get another game between now and the post-season.

Anderson could use the mental rest (if not the physical) and Budaj has played strong in his starts.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Well, to be fair, Patrick Roy was never really a work horse.
A 15 years + allstar goalie that had 60+ starts, personnal team record vs a guy that had 31 ( who was his most in his short career )the year b4 who will break the franchise starts record the next year and you dont think that something is wrong ?

You said that Roy wasnt a work horse ?

not sure about that one , i think it's more of the fact Patrick Roy was working his starts with his coach(s) he knew how many starts he was able to handle , was realistic about his work load and so were his coach(s), that's why he lasted to so long in the league and on top of his game . Ask any any other players , they will all tell you that they are ok and want to play . Thats where the choach must set his foot down and tell his player that they need to sit for this game and that game .

Like i said in my last comment , a backup should be in the net for arround 20 games year . Mostly starting the back-to-back or some particular games when that backup is hot against that team.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Andy looks tired. It's not my job, but I do not like the way he has been ridden at times this season.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
scullion44

If Flames lose this afternoon we will see Budaj in nets tonight, book it.

scullion44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

Denver post blog

Like Adrian read forum .

Posted March 28, 2010, 12:23 am MT
Postgame Avs-Coyotes – is Andy getting gassed?
By ADRIAN DATER

PHOENIX -I wasn’t one of those “They’re playing Craig Anderson too much, they need to play Peter Budaj more” people. But after tonight’s 6-2 drubbing at the hands of Wojtek Wolski and the Phoenix Coyotes, I might be inching a little closer to the “Andy is overworked” camp.

Hockey people often say that, when a goalie is struggling, pucks start “going through” them. Andy allowed a couple tonight where, indeed, it seemed as if the puck kind of went right through his body and into the net, as if he was just an apparition.

That said, it’s not all Andy’s fault why things are starting to slide for the Burgundy and Blue. The defense looks old and slow, one of the top two lines – if not both – always seem to have the “off” switch in effect, and the same with the two special teams.

I caught Joe Sacco getting livid on the bench one time tonight, when Brett Clark and Matt Duchene both passed up shots on the power play and the puck was frittered away along the boards. He also wasn’t happy with the odd-man rushes against, particularly the one when Lee Stempniak scored the backbreaker in the third period to make it 4-2.

But that was the kind of shot that Andy always seemed to stop this year. Not lately, though. The last several games have seen goals that rarely happened the first two-thirds of the season. But is the solution right now really to play Peter Budaj? Who knows, maybe it is. Maybe he should start tomorrow night in San Jose, and let’s just see what happens?

But the problems are creeping in everywhere right now, not just between the pipes. This was the fourth loss in five games tonight (one was in OT), and the Avs just barely survived to get two points in the one game they did win in that span.

Right now, they need to get consistent games every night from each of the top two lines and the entire team needs to get back to playing tighter on the puck defensively. Chris Stewart is starting to look a little out of position defensively too much again, one thing I’ve noticed. And Paul Stastny still has those games – like tonight – where he looks, well, like an apparition.

Thanks to the sputtering Calgary Flames, things still look pretty good for the Avs and a playoff spot. A six-point lead, with a game in hand. But the hard and cold fact is: this is now an eighth-place team, and I don’t like the odds of victory in San Jose Sunday night. If the Flames can somehow pull out a win Sunday in Washington and the Avs lose, it’s down to a four-point lead, with one head-to-head game remaining between the Avs and Flames.

In other words, very bad things can still happen.

Here’s some post-game video, starting with old “friend” Wolski. I think he looks like a new man in Phoenix, which forms the basis for much of my chat session with him. It just seems like he’s more relaxed on the ice with Phoenix, and he admitted in the chat that maybe he feels more comfortable in coach Dave Tippett’s system than he did in Denver.

Here’s Wolski’s former coach, talking about the loss:

Boris RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Boris , dont post a full article like that in here , next time could you quote only a part of it add the link of the article ?

Old
03-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
A 15 years + allstar goalie that had 60+ starts, personnal team record vs a guy that had 31 ( who was his most in his short career )the year b4 who will break the franchise starts record the next year and you dont think that something is wrong ?

You said that Roy wasnt a work horse ?

not sure about that one , i think it's more of the fact Patrick Roy was working his starts with his coach(s) he knew how many starts he was able to handle , was realistic about his work load and so were his coach(s), that's why he lasted to so long in the league and on top of his game . Ask any any other players , they will all tell you that they are ok and want to play . Thats where the choach must set his foot down and tell his player that they need to sit for this game and that game .

Like i said in my last comment , a backup should be in the net for arround 20 games year . Mostly starting the back-to-back or some particular games when that backup is hot against that team.
What I meant is that during his time with the Avs, he never played more than 65 games. In comparison to a guy like Nabokov, who played 77 in 07-08, or Brodeur, or Luongo, who regularly post 75 GP, he wasn't a work horse in the least.

He was a great goalie, I'm just saying it's not all that abnormal for a goalie to start 70 games.