HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do We Want Ottawa to Keep Winning?

Old
03-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

vCash: 500
Do We Want Ottawa to Keep Winning?

If Ottawa keeps winning, they'd most likely be the 5th seed heading into the playoffs. If they beat us for the division, then we'd be 5th. This way we can avoid them in the first round. And if they keep winning now, chances are they'd continue their streaky cycle and do bad at the start of the playoffs.

No real point to this thread, but I think I'm gonna become a pseudo-Sens fan for the next week or so.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
If Ottawa keeps winning, they'd most likely be the 5th seed heading into the playoffs. If they beat us for the division, then we'd be 5th. This way we can avoid them in the first round. And if they keep winning now, chances are they'd continue their streaky cycle and do bad at the start of the playoffs.

No real point to this thread, but I think I'm gonna become a pseudo-Sens fan for the next week or so.

The magic number of points for the Sabres to win the division is 8. That means that any combination of us winning points or Ottawa losing them that adds up to 8 means we win the division. We have 8 games left and Ottawa has 6. So if Ottawa wins out and we go .500 we win it. Ottawa won't win out so we don't need to even go .500.

So, i don't care what Ottawa does with the exception I don't want them to blow their 5 point lead on Montreal.

I'd prefer to avoid them in the first round.

Tanks4daMemories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:42 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

I like Ottawa right where they are. I'd love to see them pull off a crazy upset against the Pens or Devils in the 1st round and then face them in the 2nd round.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I like Ottawa right where they are. I'd love to see them pull off a crazy upset against the Pens or Devils in the 1st round and then face them in the 2nd round.
Call me crazy, but if the Sabres make it out of the first, I might prefer the Pens in the second round over Ottawa

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:26 AM
bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Call me crazy, but if the Sabres make it out of the first, I might prefer the Pens in the second round over Ottawa
crazy.

ottawa doesn't have the weapons that pittsburgh does. plus, in a 7 game series we would focus 100% on how ottawa plays in practice/video vs. normal practice prior to regular season games.

bluetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Anti Roy

If Ottawa somehow catches us for the division, I'll snap.

The Anti Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
Add me to the crazy list (OK we all know I'm already there but) I would as well

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:52 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
We have a game in hand over the Pens and are just one point behind the Debbies for 2nd in the conference. If we play reasonably well down the stretch, 6-3-1 for example, we have better than even odds to be the #2 seed, and that means Boston or Atlanta, b/c Philly ain't making it.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't care what the Sens do. Win, lose... it matters not to me.

03-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Clock

It really doesn't matter. Bring Ottawa in the first round.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It really doesn't matter. Bring Ottawa in the first round.
In theory, I don't care either.

In practice, I'd rather face Philly with suspect goaltending and a team that hasn't really found itself all season, than play vs Alfie, Spezza, Philchenkov, etc.

Oh, and Ruutu and Neil.
I'd rather for someone else to deal with them in round 1.

IMO, they can't beat Pens, Caps or Devils.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:45 AM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

vCash: 300
Ottawa VS Buffalo first round that would be sick

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM
CrankyJay

In 2005-2006 the Sabres were also the Sens whipping boys, and they took them out 4-1 in the first round. The playoffs are a whole different animal.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
I said this in Friday's GDT thread: Ottawa is going to put itself in the #5 seed and have to face Pittsburgh or New Jersey. They'd be better off falling to #6 and playing Buffalo. If Malkin is healthy, Pittsburgh would beat them in 5 games.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:14 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

If we wind up facing Ottawa, then so be it. A series like that has the potential to be a real confidence booster if these guys could pull it off. On the other hand if they can't mentally get past the Sens, then they'll get knocked out, so might as well get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
We have a game in hand over the Pens and are just one point behind the Debbies for 2nd in the conference. If we play reasonably well down the stretch, 6-3-1 for example, we have better than even odds to be the #2 seed, and that means Boston or Atlanta, b/c Philly ain't making it.

Ta,
2-6-2 in their last 10. Kinda hard to be in "win now" mode when you can't even make the playoffs.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:15 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

I don't care who we play. This team needs to focus on itself and what it needs to do on a nightly basis to win- not worry about the opponents so much. We this team is clicking they can beat anyone.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post

Ta,
Where are we getting those extra two games?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
broomedusters

I like that everyone in Ottawa thinks a playoff series with us is going to be a piece of cake. This streak they've got going isn't going to last forever- yes they've worked hard in the games but they've also been very fortunate. You know what they say about karma.

The Sabres usually play well with time running out and the game on the line. I think they could use the same kind of motivation in the playoffs with the season on the line and the home crowd behind them. I believe we can wear them down- Ottawa has to skate with everything they've got to beat us. So I say if we can't take them out in the first or second round that we don't deserve to go any further. If we do beat them, then it means our team is doing all the little things right which bodes well down the road in the playoffs.

broomedusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
MayDay

I don't care. If we match up with Ottawa, I say bring it.

Playoffs are a clean slate, and what happened in the regular season doesn't matter.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

13-8 lifetime playoff record against the Sens. Plus, Ennis is the X-factor... he will be walking Buffalo's path in the playoffs, however long it may be.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Selanne00008

I was having this same discussion with my roommate.

The bottom line is this. Assuming Washington wins its first round matchup and we also win. That means we have to play the 2, 4, or 5 seed. Which is going to be Ottawa, NJ, or Pittsburgh.

But yes, as of right now I'd like to see Ottawa keep winning and get the 5 seed. Ofcourse Id like to avoid them in the first round and matchup against Montreal or Philly in the first round.

We can worry about the second round poison when we get there. But to be honest i think at this point I would actually prefer to play Jersey over Pit or the Sens. This last game against Ottawa convinced me I just dont want to play them at all.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Folks, after the Jeff Carter injury, I posted in the around-the-NHL / stretch drive thread that without Carter and with their crap goaltending, PHI will fall out of the playoffs and ATL will make it. Looks more likely that will happen.

Quinn and BTG better hope ATL doesn't bump BOS for 7th. BOS without Savard is not dangerous - they are anemic. If BUF draws ATL or OTT for the 1st round, BTG & LDQ have substantially greater risk of fewer home playoff games this season.

I am, as always, a realistic optimist.

I prefer to face, in order: PHI, BOS, MTL, ATL, OTT in round 1

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:47 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Actully, we still wouldn't face them unless there was another upset aside from PIT/NJ vs OTT.

If Washington was the team that was upset, we would play the 8th seed if we manage finish 2nd - or the Sens series winner if we finish 3rd

If the Atlantic division winner is upset by the 7 seed, then we're pretty much stuck with the winner of the Sens series.

If the status quo holds, we play the Atlantic Divison winner (right now looking like New Jersey, but a long way to go)

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

I'd take playing ATL over BOS and MTL.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Folks, after the Jeff Carter injury, I posted in the around-the-NHL / stretch drive thread that without Carter and with their crap goaltending, PHI will fall out of the playoffs and ATL will make it. Looks more likely that will happen.

Quinn and BTG better hope ATL doesn't bump BOS for 7th. BOS without Savard is not dangerous - they are anemic. If BUF draws ATL or OTT for the 1st round, BTG & LDQ have substantially greater risk of fewer home playoff games this season.

I dont mind that order. Actually. Thats my exact order. Although Im not sure if Id rather face Boston or Philly. Its a toss up.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote