HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Seattle as reloaction destination?

Old
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Seattle as reloaction destination?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/0...t-seattle.html

Seattle pundit picks up THN Campbell's thought that Seattle might be a suitable spot for a relocated NHL franchise.
Quote:
The notion of the NHL someday moving to Seattle is not new. During his clumsy appeal to state lawmakers for a vote on public funding toward a new multipurpose arena, SuperSonics owner Clay Bennett hired a consultant to explore the feasibility of acquiring an NHL team to be a co-tenant with the Sonics. The consultant apparently returned with thumbs up, not that it mattered. ....
In many ways, Seattle-Tacoma is an ideal NHL market, from its size (15th largest in the U.S.), to its demographics (an abundance of college graduates, a key target for advertisers), to its geography (120 miles south of Canada, the sportís birthplace), to its history (the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans were the first American hockey team to win the Stanley Cup).
In terms of actual participation, the Greater Seattle Hockey League is among the five most renowned recreation leagues in the country. Thereís a paucity of indoor facilities and rink time is precious, but thereís a grass-roots enthusiasm for the sport that would only intensify with the arrival of an NHL team.
OK, for the half-a-billion-dollar question: Who pays for an NHL arena in the Seattle area? Short answer: Nobody who isnít interested in buying a ticket. The public-private solution to wooing pro sports teams might be pitched elsewhere, but not in this region. If an NHL franchise moves here, it will be because an investor Ė not necessarily with local ties Ė envisions hockey as a long-term success story in the Puget Sound area.

Iíve got no clue who that investor is, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman might. It was Bettmanís idea to expand into Atlanta, and itís his responsibility to get out of Atlanta.
Even the local guy can't name a local half-a-billionaire potential owner. But does admit it could be someone not local.

Pundit does indicate any owner would have to have deep pockets and pay for a new arena himself; don't expect public funds.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

If Bill Gates cared about hockey rather than humanitarianism, Seattle would have a team and an arena. Personally, I'd rather support the Gates Foundation than the Seattle Metropolitans v. 2.0, but that's just my opinion.

Look to other Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, or Boeing execs for potential ownership groups.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Seattle pundit picks up THN Campbell's thought that Seattle might be a suitable spot for a relocated NHL franchise.

Even the local guy can't name a local half-a-billionaire potential owner. But does admit it could be someone not local.

Pundit does indicate any owner would have to have deep pockets and pay for a new arena himself; don't expect public funds.
I think as the alleged Thomson-Winnipeg connection proves, if a market is deemed viable and profitable, there will always be a millionaire/billionaire who will want to invest in it.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Guyle Fielder Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

There are enough rich guys in the Seattle area to own an NHL team. The lack of a suitable arena (KeyArena is only good for roller derby and robotics competitions) is the major issue for both basketball and hockey.

Steve Ballmer, the Microsoft billionaire, is the man looking to bring the NBA back to Seattle. If he builds something with his own money, he might not mind having an NHL team to fill up more dates and bring in more revenue. There are more Microsoft-related persons with a bit of cash, as well as John McCaw Jr., the former majority owner of the Canucks. He wouldn't get accused of being an absentee owner in his own hometown. The money is there and many here would rather have the NHL than have the NBA come back. There's still a lot of bitterness over the Oklahoman theft of the Supersonics, even though city leadership had as big a hand in botching the whole thing.

Guyle Fielder Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
If Bill Gates cared about hockey rather than humanitarianism, Seattle would have a team and an arena. Personally, I'd rather support the Gates Foundation than the Seattle Metropolitans v. 2.0, but that's just my opinion.

Look to other Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, or Boeing execs for potential ownership groups.
Boeing's corporate/executive offices are in Chicago now, not Seattle. Seattle's only a manufacturing site and even that may not be the case for much longer if the machinists union and corporate continue to butt heads. The opening of a second 787 production line in Charleston, SC was a warning shot in that direction, I think.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
He could start the first non-profit NHL team, with all proceeds going to the Gates Fund.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
He could start the first non-profit NHL team, with all proceeds going to the Gates Fund.
Well, aren't the Coyotes' a non-profit .

To be a little less flippant - the 'Yotes are currently owned by the NHL, which actually is a not-for-profit Joint Venture.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
To be a little less flippant - the 'Yotes are currently owned by the NHL, which actually is a not-for-profit Joint Venture.
Interesting. I wonder what would happen to the reward money if they won the Cup?

Seriously, though, Gates is probably the only man on earth who could realistically build an arena and pay the expansion fee for a non-profit NHL team. If it did well, it would be one of the most legacy-defining moves in his career -- think what it would do for the NHL in the Northwest.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Interesting. I wonder what would happen to the reward money if they won the Cup?

Seriously, though, Gates is probably the only man on earth who could realistically build an arena and pay the expansion fee for a non-profit NHL team. If it did well, it would be one of the most legacy-defining moves in his career -- think what it would do for the NHL in the Northwest.
Nah - Gates has fallen to #2.

I give you the Mexico City Coyotes:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/...mily_WYDJ.html

And if you want to begging to Micro$oft Billionaires - Paul Allen has already built his arena (in Portland) - you just have to get him to share.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

It's always baffled me why seattle didn't have a NHL team while cities like Columbus and Nashville did. Seattle is a no-brainer expansion city. The arena hurdle isn't *that* hard to overcome.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
It's always baffled me why seattle didn't have a NHL team while cities like Columbus and Nashville did. Seattle is a no-brainer expansion city. The arena hurdle isn't *that* hard to overcome.
I think the NHL is better in cities like Columbus, Nashville and Carolina where the sporting marketplace is oversaturated. Seattle has a MLB, NFL and MLS team right now.

Portland would be a much better market.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
We love you too, ***hole.

The SuperSonics' owner was a little paranoid about an NHL team coming in and stealing revenue from his team, and I understand he therefore went to great lengths to keep 'em out. Obviously, that's not an immediate issue anymore, but the consequences of some decisions made as a result (read: Key Arena) are still current roadblocks.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Badger36

Id be all for it. Lets move one of the teams out of Canada and to Seattle.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Don't the Canucks have rights in Seattle?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. iirc they've been supportive of moves to Seattle in the past because of the long distances between Vancouver and just about every nearby NHL city.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
ping

Did a marketing project in university on a potential team in Seattle. Overall, the indicators were positive with the huge asterisk of the lack of a suitable longterm stadium. In a dream world, Jim Balsille-type figure would emerge and build a stadium out of his own pocket but the chances of that are slim.

ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Confucius

Hockey fans in Seattle already cheer for one team or another, so why go there?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Boeing's corporate/executive offices are in Chicago now, not Seattle. Seattle's only a manufacturing site and even that may not be the case for much longer if the machinists union and corporate continue to butt heads. The opening of a second 787 production line in Charleston, SC was a warning shot in that direction, I think.
Blame the state of Washington for that. They pissed them off to the point to where they moved to Chicago.

Quote:
Do a search on this board for Seattle and Dolemite. I've given all the reasons for why this will never happen so many times before that I'm tired of writing the same thing again and again and again and again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No. The Canucks rights are BC only. At last check, Seattle is the Avs territory.

Old
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. iirc they've been supportive of moves to Seattle in the past because of the long distances between Vancouver and just about every nearby NHL city.
Colorado does.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

I think it would be great for seattle to get another team, however that new arena is the problem

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:

Howard Schultz (founder/CEO of Starbucks) owned the Sonics, wanted Seattle to build a new arena, and sold the team to Clay Bennett, who moved them to Oklahoma. So I doubt he wants to get involved in the NHL.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Street Hawk

Bigger than you think

Quote:
Few factors here.
1) Safeco Field and Qwest Field (mostly paid for by the public and new taxes, and Safeco went over budget)
2) Key Arena when it got it's major reno in the 90's, the Sonics owners at the time didn't want it to be able to hold an NHL team (that's why the Seattle T-Birds of the WHL could only max out at 13K fans because of obstructed views, ala the Coyotes old home in Phx that they shared with the Suns).
3) Now that the Sonics are gone, the only way for Seattle to get an NBA team back is to build a new arena. But, if they ever did that, then it would make sense to try to bring in an NHL team too and maximize the revenue possibilities.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Id be all for it. Lets move one of the teams out of Canada and to Seattle.

Joking, correct? Don't turn this into a Canada vs US thread...or how the Canadian NHL teams are among the most valuable...

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
slickrick

DO IT!!
seattle-vancouver rivalry= good entertainment= $$$$

slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Few factors here.
1) Safeco Field and Qwest Field (mostly paid for by the public and new taxes, and Safeco went over budget)
2) Key Arena when it got it's major reno in the 90's, the Sonics owners at the time didn't want it to be able to hold an NHL team (that's why the Seattle T-Birds of the WHL could only max out at 13K fans because of obstructed views, ala the Coyotes old home in Phx that they shared with the Suns).
3) Now that the Sonics are gone, the only way for Seattle to get an NBA team back is to build a new arena. But, if they ever did that, then it would make sense to try to bring in an NHL team too and maximize the revenue possibilities.
add to that the business climate was another reason why the Sonics are now the Thunder and getting help from the State was maxed, which is why you saw Schultz try to sue Bennett in a last ditch attempt to keep the Sonics in Seattle, because of your point # 1, Street.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote