HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal is making the same mistakes Minny did with Pouliot

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
  #1
TheCanasianfrasian
Registered User
 
TheCanasianfrasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Montreal is making the same mistakes Minny did with Pouliot

We saw how well Pouliot handled being constantly demoted in Minny, he's young and his confidence is still fragile. For those who read the latest habs magazine he says in his feature that being demoted and getting his ice time cut down brought him to the point where he started questioning his own skills, and he didnt even want to come to the rink anymore. He even goes as far as saying that he's very ashamed to admit that because he loved the game his whole life.

Now he's in somewhat of a rutt, and JM cut down his icetime in the past few games. And it looks like he's going to be demoted to the 3rd line tomorrow...although playing with SK and Laps might work, he still will only be playing 8-9 minutes total.

If we ruin him they will never hear the end of it

TheCanasianfrasian is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
  #2
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Its only one practice...and they know what he can do, he could probably start the game with Gionta and Gomez anyways..

jcpenny is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
  #3
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Its only one practice...and they know what he can do, he could probably start the game with Gionta and Gomez anyways..
"We are talking about practice! Not a game!"

icerocket is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:32 PM
  #4
BlancHabs
Registered User
 
BlancHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Not the game Not the game, we're talking about practice

BlancHabs is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
  #5
TheCanasianfrasian
Registered User
 
TheCanasianfrasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian

TheCanasianfrasian is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
  #6
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,429
vCash: 500
I mean... we talkin' about practice...

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
  #7
Born in 1909
Vive la France!
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 500
Pools will pull through

Gio and Gomez will help him

Born in 1909 is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
  #8
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,536
vCash: 500
So Martin can NEVER send him a message because he's too fragile? If that's the case I'd rather burn him now and get it over with before signing him to a long term contract.

shutehinside is online now  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:41 PM
  #9
felixd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Practice? We talkin about practice man

felixd is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
  #10
Tray4Adams
Registered User
 
Tray4Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Jacques Martin ladies and gentlemen, the man here to help insulate our goaltenders, develop our young players and bring us some structure.......

Tray4Adams is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
  #11
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,812
vCash: 500
This thread needs more practice remix.


snakeye is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:10 PM
  #12
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Grim. Martin is utterly terrible with young players, it would be supreme irony if he managed to wreck Pouliot after getting him for driving away Latendresse.

I don't have a good feeling about this lineup. Darche is liable to do for the Gomez line what Pyatt did for the Plekanec line... 'nuff said. Pyatt is much loved by Martin because he's "reliable", which means nothing much happens while he's on the ice... at least that makes him suitable for a checking line.

But the fourth line? I'm really scared that it's going to be the doghouse line. Put the young forwards together, so that he can leave them on the bench as much as possible. That'll work.

Martin has several strong coaching assets and a small number of crippling flaws. His system is one. His terrible results with young players is another.

MathMan is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
  #13
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,268
vCash: 612
He's being benched because he is not playing JM's system. He cannot make simple plays like chip a puck out of the zone or cross centre ice and dump it in. Even young players should know to do this. At this point in the season with every single point being vital, you cannot let mistakes like these happen over and over again. He's getting what he deserves.

And it's nothing like Minnesota since they never gave him a real shot to begin with, playing him on the 4th line with Boogaard. Pouliot got the chance to play with Gomez and Gionta right away and played over his head.

le_sean is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
  #14
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's being benched because he is not playing JM's system. He cannot make simple plays like chip a puck out of the zone or cross centre ice and dump it in. Even young players should know to do this. At this point in the season with every single point being vital, you cannot let mistakes like these happen over and over again. He's getting what he deserves.
I'll give him a pass on those. He probably heard the same story that we did before coming over that the Habs were supposed to be a puck possession team. And those aren't exactly puck possession plays, now, are they. Would you expect to have to play dump and chase hockey on a line with Gomez and Gionta? I sure wouldn't. Granted, there ARE times when you have to be able to chip it OUT of the zone to relieve pressure. I haven't really noticed a chronic inability to do this, however.

Oh, and for the record: those garbage long stretch passes that have to get chipped into the zone are the worst things to develop in modern hockey (they were almost non-existent in the past, btw). I thought the elimination of the red line would encourage actual passing through the neutral zone, but oh no. Everyone still does the dump and chase... they just make sure they ramp it off a linemate's stick first.


Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-29-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
  #15
92Rahman
Registered User
 
92Rahman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
mann we talking about practice, practice ?

not even the game where i score goals almost every game sicne i've been here but practice

man how the hell will i make my teammates better with practice

reallyy practice ??? mann not even the game .... practice

92Rahman is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
  #16
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,268
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'll give him a pass on those. He probably heard the same story that we did before coming over that the Habs were supposed to be a puck possession team. And those aren't exactly puck possession plays, now, are they. Would you expect to have to play dump and chase hockey on a line with Gomez and Gionta? I sure wouldn't.
When you are pressured and have no choice but to chip it out, then you do. Martin's system is fine and all but you can't just turn around and try to find an open defenceman every single play.

Take a look at how Darche plays the game, he makes intelligent plays all the time, he's just really limited skill-wise.

le_sean is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
  #17
RichardFaulk
 
RichardFaulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
We saw how well Pouliot handled being constantly demoted in Minny, he's young and his confidence is still fragile. For those who read the latest habs magazine he says in his feature that being demoted and getting his ice time cut down brought him to the point where he started questioning his own skills, and he didnt even want to come to the rink anymore. He even goes as far as saying that he's very ashamed to admit that because he loved the game his whole life.

Now he's in somewhat of a rutt, and JM cut down his icetime in the past few games. And it looks like he's going to be demoted to the 3rd line tomorrow...although playing with SK and Laps might work, he still will only be playing 8-9 minutes total.

If we ruin him they will never hear the end of it
Pouliot will be fine , he fits Gomer an Gio just fine.

RichardFaulk is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
  #18
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's being benched because he is not playing JM's system.
You're saying this like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He cannot make simple plays like chip a puck out of the zone or cross centre ice and dump it in. Even young players should know to do this.
I'm sure he knows how to, but it's supposed to be a puck possession team. It's anything but, of course, but I'm not going to hold it against a player if they try to accomplish something, even if it goes against Martin's system. Because the "safe" system isn't, and the players have to score goals at some point to win, and following the system won't generate offense.

MathMan is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
  #19
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,324
vCash: 500
Nothing new.This is a coach who benched Jason Spezza for the exact same reasons: puck turnovers in the neutral zone, refusal to play the Martin system, etc.

deandebean is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
  #20
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Well I think Pouliot has hit a patch where there are no points and he is not playing the game martin wants out of him. He's taken a couple of penalties lately too. nothing outrageous but the level of play has slipped

As for "making the same mistakes that Minny made"? It's a chicken or egg thing. he has sort of put himself in this position. Nothing radical has been done like burying him in the AHL as was the case with the Wild.

Seems to me he is skating into deadend situations a lot lately and tries to stickhandle his way through it without having the feet moving. It's creating a lot of turnovers

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
  #21
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Well I think Pouliot has hit a patch where there are no points and he is not playing the game martin wants out of him. He's taken a couple of penalties lately too. nothing outrageous but the level of play has slipped

As for "making the same mistakes that Minny made"? It's a chicken or egg thing. he has sort of put himself in this position. Nothing radical has been done like burying him in the AHL as was the case with the Wild.

Seems to me he is skating into deadend situations a lot lately and tries to stickhandle his way through it without having the feet moving. It's creating a lot of turnovers
100 d'accord.

deandebean is offline  
Old
03-30-2010, 01:52 AM
  #22
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,696
vCash: 500
At least Pouliot has a good attitude. http://www.faceoff.com/Scoreboard+wa...215/story.html

“I haven’t been playing as well as I should and the coach felt he had to make some changes,” said Pouliot. “But Sergei is a creative player and we’ll try to get something going.”

macavoy is offline  
Old
03-30-2010, 07:34 AM
  #23
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
We saw how well Pouliot handled being constantly demoted in Minny, he's young and his confidence is still fragile. For those who read the latest habs magazine he says in his feature that being demoted and getting his ice time cut down brought him to the point where he started questioning his own skills, and he didnt even want to come to the rink anymore. He even goes as far as saying that he's very ashamed to admit that because he loved the game his whole life.

Now he's in somewhat of a rutt, and JM cut down his icetime in the past few games. And it looks like he's going to be demoted to the 3rd line tomorrow...although playing with SK and Laps might work, he still will only be playing 8-9 minutes total.

If we ruin him they will never hear the end of it
If sending him to the 3rd line for a game ruins him he was never tough enough to be an NHL hockey player. He has to get back to forechecking and playing physical, the last 2 weeks he's just been all dipsy doodle and no physical play or winning battles.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
03-30-2010, 07:59 AM
  #24
felixd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
This thread needs more practice remix.

Hilarious. Would be better if they had a couple of Herm Edwards' "HELLO!" in there though

felixd is offline  
Old
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
  #25
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
the real pouliot is somewhere in the middle of what he was while being on fire and the one we are seeing now.
dont you think they had their reasons to ship him out.

marchabsfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.