HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D-Fence

Old
03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

vCash: 500
D-Fence

next season assuming that Kaberle isn't traded and everybody is healthy..

Beauchemin will be our 6th Dman

Phaneuf
Kaberle
Schenn
Gunnarsson
Komisarek

are all better than him

and he is getting 3.8 mil a year

with Finger, our 7th Dman getting 3.5 mil a year

how does this happen?

With one of our major problems being having too much money tied up in our defense what can be done, especially knowing that with Gunnar having 1 more year on his contract at 800k will be rewarded with a rather large raise if he continues his excellent play next year.

How are the leafs to have money to invest in top quality forwards with so much money tied up in the back end?

What would you do to fix this situation?

JacobimMugatu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
HemskyToHall*

Beauchemin is having a bad year, he'll rebound next year if the team around him plays better.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Trade Komi and waive Finger, is what I would do. But I doubt Burke trades Komi or Beauch, so he has to trade Kaberle and waive Finger.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Revolt

Giguere's 6m+ comes off the books next season, that's most likely what they will use to lock up Gunnarson and a few others. Also, they can put Finger in the minors.

You could also move a Beauchemin or Finger to a team trying to shed salary, and take on a forward that makes more then Finger or Beauch, that would help out our team.

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Phaneuf is Phaneuf

If kabby doesn't get traded then another defenesman will, I suspect. And if not, should we really be complaining? If Francois Beauchemin is your 6th defenseman then you are in pretty good shape.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf is Phaneuf View Post
If kabby doesn't get traded then another defenesman will, I suspect. And if not, should we really be complaining? If Francois Beauchemin is your 6th defenseman then you are in pretty good shape.
if your 6th defenseman is getting 3.8 mil you aren't in pretty good shape

Old
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
TOG26

The thing is the leafs probably won't be spending much money this offseason (no one to spend it on), which means they can have a bit of extra money tied up on the backend. Kaberle will come off the books after next year, as will Gigeure. Which will give the Leafs money to build up front. Fingers contract is irrelevant, and if his cap hit $$ are needed he will be gone.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashkovich View Post
Beauchemin will be playing 22-25 minutes a night next year. Sorry bro.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Baba Ganoush

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Kaberle - Komisarek
Gunnarsson - Schenn

what the problem is ...

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:09 PM
ansah

Quote:
right now, our 7th is making 3.5m

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Dave from Vancouver

Don't see Beauch or Komi being moved, they seem to like both of them. I don't want to see us treating a great servant badly and trying to flog him at every opportunity, and I think Burke has stuck to that so far, but Kaberle going just makes sense in every aspect.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
The thing is the leafs probably won't be spending much money this offseason (no one to spend it on), which means they can have a bit of extra money tied up on the backend. Kaberle will come off the books after next year, as will Gigeure. Which will give the Leafs money to build up front. Fingers contract is irrelevant, and if his cap hit $$ are needed he will be gone.
From what Burke said of July the first being his draft day he surely does have plans to make a splash. Also just an open question to everyone, with Finger/Exelby gone who would be our 7th D-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Beauchemin will be playing 22-25 minutes a night next year. Sorry bro.
not if he plays like he has all season this year, you are assuming that he is going to be playing much better.. and if he isn't then what? He screws over our cap situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansah View Post
right now, our 7th is making 3.5m
I mentioned that in OP

Old
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
embracedbias

Your premise is flawed. Beauchemin isn't the worst of those defensemen. Why do you think he leads this team in icetime? Do you think that Wilson is going to change his mind about Beauchemin over the summer for some reason?

I think Kaberle will be traded, and our 6th defensemen (likely a rookie like Aulie/Blacker/Mikus/Holzer/Oreskovic) will play ~10 minutes per night. It doesn't make much sense to me to have 6 d-men who can play 20+ minutes per night... and I doubt Kaberle will want to re-sign here if he's only playing 18 minutes per night.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
TOG26

Quote:
From what Burke said of July the first being his draft day he surely does have plans to make a splash. Also just an open question to everyone, with Finger/Exelby gone who would be our 7th D-Man?
There are very few big name FA's this year, and none of them really fit a Burke type player. Also with the number of players under contract going into next year, there will be very few spots. Burke is more likely to focus on role players, and players currently not in the NHL. And if that is the case many will not be paid large $$ and some of those players will see time in the AHL.

Our 7th d-man will be a league minimum paid guy, and I would guess if Holzer is over, he will see a couple of games due to injury, and Mikus may as well.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:45 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Your premise is flawed. Beauchemin isn't the worst of those defensemen. Why do you think he leads this team in icetime? Do you think that Wilson is going to change his mind about Beauchemin over the summer for some reason?

I think Kaberle will be traded, and our 6th defensemen (likely a rookie like Aulie/Blacker/Mikus/Holzer/Oreskovic) will play ~10 minutes per night. It doesn't make much sense to me to have 6 d-men who can play 20+ minutes per night... and I doubt Kaberle will want to re-sign here if he's only playing 18 minutes per night.
+1.

Kaberle gone, rookie fill-in 6th or 7th... maybe that Aulie kid we got with Phaneuf.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:48 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post

Who has Beauch played better than? Also remember his minutes will go down when Komi comes back into the linup and replaces that plug Finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
There are very few big name FA's this year, and none of them really fit a Burke type player. Also with the number of players under contract going into next year, there will be very few spots. Burke is more likely to focus on role players, and players currently not in the NHL. And if that is the case many will not be paid large $$ and some of those players will see time in the AHL.

Our 7th d-man will be a league minimum paid guy, and I would guess if Holzer is over, he will see a couple of games due to injury, and Mikus may as well.
Wouldn't frolov be someone who could fit into Burkes plans?

Old
03-28-2010, 03:49 PM
EazyB97

The smart money would be on him playing top pairing minutes, not being our 6th best d-man.

Without Kaberle moving (I think he'll be traded) you should expect to see

Beauch - Phaneuf
Kabs - Komi
Gunnar - Schenn

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
+1.

Kaberle gone, rookie fill-in 6th or 7th... maybe that Aulie kid we got with Phaneuf.
Aulie apparently struggled in his first year of pro and had an injury-riddled season. He's not ready.

Psydeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
GE0

I echo the sentiments of not worrying about the numbers game on the blueline, that situation will be taken care of when Burke trades Kaberle this summer - something I too have thought, for many months now in fact:

1. It won't do Burke any good to let Kaberle go for nothing in 2011. So he'll trade him now to get some value out of him while he can, when he can trade him to any team in the league.

2. Kaberle is too soft, to put it nicely, to play for Burke long-term.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The smart money would be on him playing top pairing minutes, not being our 6th best d-man.

Without Kaberle moving (I think he'll be traded) you should expect to see

Beauch - Phaneuf
Kabs - Komi
Gunnar - Schenn
Schenn has played far better than Beauch this season and I'd rather see him with Phaneuf, and I think Gunnarsson would be good as he is defensively responsible enough to help clean up all of Beauch's mistakes, Kabby and Komi would be good but I'm expecting Kabby to be gone.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Beauchemin has played more minutes than any player on our team.

He's been playing 26+ minutes per game since Phaneuf and him joined forces to make a dominant shutdown pairing, and we've been one of the best defensive teams in the league since then.

You guys are crazy.

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Kaberle - Schenn
Gunnarson - Komisarek

With Komisarek being the worst of the 6 defensemen.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
facey

Beau is our #2 ATM... your not watching the games if you think all those guys are better then him. Dion is our only superior defence man.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Phaneuf-Schenn

Kaberle-Komisarek

Beauchemin-Gunarsson

Xtra: Exelby, Aulie (shoulder?)

OR

Kaberle-Komisarek

Beauchemin-Phaneuf

Gunarsson-Schenn

I personally prefer the 1st option

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Schenn has played far better than Beauch this season and I'd rather see him with Phaneuf, and I think Gunnarsson would be good as he is defensively responsible enough to help clean up all of Beauch's mistakes, Kabby and Komi would be good but I'm expecting Kabby to be gone.
Schenn was embarrassingly bad to start the season, he's improved since then, but he still struggles with speed and makes questionable decisions with the puck. These are the same issues Beauchemin has, but he's playing more minutes against better players. Tough to say he's been better than Beauchemin this season.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:08 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

for me, I just want Finger off the books somehow. I don't have too much problem with the rest. Beauchemin does a lot of good on the ice that doesn't get noticed and has had a better 2nd half here than his first.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote