HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

(HF Story) Rookie Season in Review

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Rookie Season in Review

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Here's a recap of the season that was for a bunch of Oiler rookies from 2003-04. Ty Conklin, Mikko Luoma and Raffi Torres were first year Oilers who did not qualify under HF criteria so they are not included in this write up. Also, Peter Sarno played half a dozen games but was dealt to Vancouver so he too was omitted.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:16 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I was just about to ask today when the oilers' rookie review was comming. Good stuff, I'm gonna go read it now.

Old
05-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Lowetide

Excellent Guy.

One thing that bugs me (not your fault) is the NHL's silly rookie rule. By any definition available, Ty Conklin should qualify but because of one fluke (Makharov, was that the guy? its been so long) happening, Conklin's age disqualifies him.

It's unfair at the very least, and completely ignores what was a very nice season by a guy who took some time to mature.

btw, Tony Esposito was 27 the summer he accepted his Calder trophy.

Old
05-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I was just about to ask today when the oilers' rookie review was comming. Good stuff, I'm gonna go read it now.

To be honest, I've been waiting for Mike Bishai to call me back for about a week so I could finish it off. Tired of waiting, I sent this in to Holly this morning and then guess who calls me tonight??

To me this review is kind of dry and just rehashes stuff I've written all year but I guess it does kind of wrap up the season.

I just finished the re-ranking of the top 20 and I'm hoping you will all be pretty vocal with your opinions when it is released (probably later this week). It's really long and gets in depth on just about everybody in the system. Top 20 and then even the next ten! There's tons of quotes from scouts, the GM, the Assistant GM, the coach...

There's also one thing I've been sitting on for about a month that K.P. asked me to keep off the record. I finally convinced him to let me print it. I think it's pretty interesting and I'm sure some of you eagle eyed readers will pick it out pretty quickly.

As for Bishai.... he's trying to get enrolled in some summer classes in Michigan right now but isn't having a lot of luck. He's promised me a one-on-one this summer so I'll let you know about that when the time gets closer.

can you dig it? I knew that you could.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
great read guy

and i can't for the top 20 story to be out

Old
05-03-2004, 09:15 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
To be honest, I've been waiting for Mike Bishai to call me back for about a week so I could finish it off. Tired of waiting, I sent this in to Holly this morning and then guess who calls me tonight??

To me this review is kind of dry and just rehashes stuff I've written all year but I guess it does kind of wrap up the season.

I just finished the re-ranking of the top 20 and I'm hoping you will all be pretty vocal with your opinions when it is released (probably later this week). It's really long and gets in depth on just about everybody in the system. Top 20 and then even the next ten! There's tons of quotes from scouts, the GM, the Assistant GM, the coach...

There's also one thing I've been sitting on for about a month that K.P. asked me to keep off the record. I finally convinced him to let me print it. I think it's pretty interesting and I'm sure some of you eagle eyed readers will pick it out pretty quickly.

As for Bishai.... he's trying to get enrolled in some summer classes in Michigan right now but isn't having a lot of luck. He's promised me a one-on-one this summer so I'll let you know about that when the time gets closer.

Wow that is pretty intriguing can't wait

Old
05-03-2004, 09:30 PM
momentai

Excellent stuff Guy.

But what about Jarrett Stoll? Wasn't he also a rookie this year?

Old
05-03-2004, 09:56 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Excellent stuff Guy.

Uh from Guy's Article

Jarret Stoll (68GP – 10G – 11A – 21PTS)

Few players climbed the depth chart as much as Jarret Stoll did in 2003-04. At training camp he was in a struggle with Peter Sarno for the last forward spot and an opportunity to stick with the big club even though he would likely be regulated to watching more games than he played. Stoll sat for most of October but finally got his chance on the 25th against the Calgary Flames, ironically, the team that had originally drafted him in 2000.

However, Stoll suddenly came down with tonsillitis and was scratched from the line up, thus the reason Sarno was recalled from Toronto. Stoll would miss five games before returning to action against the Rangers and scoring his first ever NHL goal.

“The puck sat there and I just spun and shot it and it went in and we came back and won the game, which was even better,” Stoll excitedly recounted at the time. “It was exciting and everything I had dreamed about, it was good to get it out of the way!”

Once that first goal went in, Stoll began scoring at a regular clip, first in Boston and then soon after in the Heritage Classic.

Injuries to Marty Reasoner and Mike York kept Stoll in Edmonton and the rookie began to play on a regular basis. The versatility of Stoll enabled him to play with a vast array of wingers and in many different situations. At one point he was centering Ethan Moreau and Fern Pisani as Reasoner’s replacement. Later it was the Stoll-Georges Laraque-Jason Chimera trio that was really anchoring the team on many nights. It seemed Stoll could do no wrong.

When the Oilers acquired Petr Nedved from New York, Stoll saw his ice time and his offensive opportunities lessened. By the end of the season though, the Saskatchewan-born Stoll had become a fixture on the penalty killing units and was someone who the coaches trusted in any situation during any game.

“I can see Stoll being a very good NHL player with great leadership and great upside who could play anywhere in your line up,” Kevin Lowe told Hockey’s Future in March.

The immergence of Stoll largely filled the defensive hole created by the departure of Todd Marchant last summer. When it came to the trading deadline, there were a few players in Edmonton who were definitely untouchables and Stoll was near the top of that short list of names.

Old
05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Excellent stuff Guy.

Yes, that's why he is in the write up.

Old
05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
Whoops. Missed him... he's the last section. Sorry.

Old
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Lowetide

Quote:

lol. It's your alpha order that got him, he was expecting Stoll at the top. I spent 5 minutes wondering why Torres wasn't on there (but remember he's not a rookie).

It's either that or momentai has been struck down by the age bug. Soon he's spend 15 minutes looking for his glasses until a child mentions they're on his HEAD! (this WILL happen to you youngsters, wait and see).

Old
05-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Digger12

Quote:
But when injuries arose and Rita was recalled from the AHL, he sat and watched games from the press box. The explanations from the coach and from the GM seemed, at times, to conflict with one another.
This part caught my attention because it's something I (and others) have said here before...it sure seems to me like Lowe and MacT don't see eye to eye on this subject.

The Rita 'callup' was one of the weirdest stories of the year to me.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Yep, that was quite the wierd situation. We all thought Rita was finally going to get his shot at a spot with the Oilers due to all the injuries and he ended up playing 5 minutes with Scott Ferguson as a linemate. I firmly believe that Rita has to earn a spot in the lineup.. however, calling him up and tossing him into that awful situation was hardly a reasonable solution. I would have personally called up a guy like Salmelainen (was he injured at the time?) or even Wright and kept Rita in the AHL rather than give him false hope. Call Rita up once he's earned a spot and give him a decent chance once he finally proves he deserves to play in the NHL.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:17 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
It's either that or momentai has been struck down by the age bug. Soon he's spend 15 minutes looking for his glasses until a child mentions they're on his HEAD! (this WILL happen to you youngsters, wait and see).

I often misplace my pen behind my ear. Does that count? Have you found your glasses yet? I have a feeling I know where they might be... :lol

Old
05-04-2004, 02:19 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
This part caught my attention because it's something I (and others) have said here before...it sure seems to me like Lowe and MacT don't see eye to eye on this subject.

Certainly seems that way to me. It's strange that MacT thinks that Rita's role should be in the NHL... Judging from the minutes doled out, it doesn't look like the coach feels that way at all. Mixed messages galore here.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Digger12

Quote:

I often misplace my pen behind my ear. Does that count? Have you found your glasses yet? I have a feeling I know where they might be... :lol
Don't confuse Lain...he's getting to the age where that 'first pull down your pants, THEN pee' rule gets a bit tricky.

Old
05-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Yanner39

Good work as usual Guy.

I think this year the Rita situation will be resolved and we could put it to bed. If they sign him, he'll be with the Oilers next year no matter what according to MacT's comments. The thing is, I'm not convinced they will sign him because that will only increase the logjam at the forward positions.

Draft day should be interesting because the Oilers may want to make room upfront.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:44 AM
aspin

Quote:

I can't wait for the re-ranking and comments.

Old
05-04-2004, 10:54 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Rookie Prediction next year (Toronto and Edmonton):

Toronto -

JDD - has a decent rookie campaign. 12 or so wins, GAA around 2.5 and a sv% around .912.

Brodziak - Struggles early in the year, comes on late. 13 goals, 20 asssists.

Greene - Picks up big minutes right from the beginning, and is a rock on the blueline all year.

Random overaged Euro - probably a defenceman, impresses in the main camp and spends 30 decent games in the AHL, but then goes back to Europe because of a glut of defencemen in the AHL.

Edmonton -

Rita - Just does enough to stick with the team all this year and gets re-signed next year. 9 goals, 6 assists in 55 games, but goes 24 games without a point during one stretch.

Lynch - Gets 15 or so games with the big club, does everything right which cements his position in the lineup for the next season.

Wyowitka - plays well during camp and does pressbox/6th dman duties all season.

Salmalainen - The Oilers 13th forward for the season. Still can't score, but provides that spark everytime he is on the ice. 3 goals and 11 assists in 46 games.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Master Lok

hehe, is Tony Salmalainen, Radek Dvorak II?

Old
05-04-2004, 01:04 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
hehe, is Tony Salmalainen, Radek Dvorak II?
Maybe Todd Marchent III, depending on who you ask.

Closed Thread