HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs @ Pens -- Dammit..

Old
03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Federko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Beauchemin has been god awful. At least Schenn is making some plays. Without Schenn we don't score that early goal... Withou Beauchemin we might win. Schenn does need to use the body more often, but he he is who he is, he's not a Phaneuf
It's just so trendy to hate Beauchimen right now. Our 2nd/3rd best defender. What about Bozak? He looses the draw to Crosby and lets Crosby go to the front of the net and score a goal? It's plays like that the kids need to work on. Bozak was absolutely schooled tonight. If you want to be constructive then be constructive...but comments like this against Beauchimen are unwarrented.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
so. let me get this straight.
when we play a great game and win: we curse the defense.
when we play a great game and lose: we curse the defense.
when we let in a weak goal: we curse the defense.
when we play a horrible game: we curse the defense.

can we just like.. you know. not curse the defense every freaking play?
and by defense I mean, Schenn and Beauchamin.
For most younger HFers its more like this:

when we play a great game and win: we curse Beauchamin
when we play a great game and lose: we curse Beauchamin
when we let in a weak goal: we curse Beauchamin
when we play a horrible game: we curse Beauchamin

It's verrrry trendy to hate on Beauchamin right now. Schenn was so October/November/December - sophmore slump ZOMGZ!!! Should have traded him!!!

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
For most younger HFers its more like this:

when we play a great game and win: we curse Beauchamin
when we play a great game and lose: we curse Beauchamin
when we let in a weak goal: we curse Beauchamin
when we play a horrible game: we curse Beauchamin

It's verrrry trendy to hate on Beauchamin right now. Schenn was so October/November/December - sophmore slump ZOMGZ!!! Should have traded him!!!
You forgot the kids also like to pick on Mitchell no matter what he does or whether we win or lose.

Last edited by The Messenger: 03-29-2010 at 12:26 PM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
You forgot the kids also like to pick on Mitchell no matter what he does or whether we win or lose.
well Stajan's not here so....

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
phaneuf played the worst game by a defenseman ive seen in a while. whew that was ugly!
3 games in 4 nights, 2 of which were under 24hrs rest. for a guy that plays top pairing minutes i think it fair to maybe give him a bit of rope. I thought the overall team effort was excellent considering the terrible schedule.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

The past few days I think Kaberle and Schenn have played very well together.

Nice to see Schenn with someone who doesn't panic or give the puck away all the time, it makes Schenn's job easier, and Schenn's straight forward game is easy for Kaberle to interpret / intiuit where he has to go to complement him.

Schenn is phyiscal, whereas Kaberle is not.

Schenn and Phaneuf are their two big hitters, whereas Beauchemin and Kaberle are more finesse players with neither showing a propensity to hit.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
3 games in 4 nights, 2 of which were under 24hrs rest. for a guy that plays top pairing minutes i think it fair to maybe give him a bit of rope. I thought the overall team effort was excellent considering the terrible schedule.
Win at home, tie on the road.

I still think holds today with the shoot-out.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
VL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
When Mitchell simplifies his game and plays within his limits, he's a perfectly serviceable player. It's when he's given too much time to think or handle the puck (and he's not participating in the shootout) that he has a tendency to make very poor decisions and cough up the puck. For the most part, I like him just fine on the PK but I tend to shudder or wince when I see him on the PP (not that I'm blaming the woes of the powerplay on Mitchell but he hasn't been very good when he has been given the chance to play with the man advantage).

On the penalty-killing unit, he's actually pretty good to have around when his job is simply to retrieve the puck and ice the sucker but any time he hangs on to the puck for an extended period of time, it's as though he starts over-thinking things and by the time he realises it, he's turned over the puck. I don't object to having Mitchell on the team but I would strongly prefer having him play a role that he is suited for and maybe gradually exploring the outer edges of his limits.

Incidentally, I have the same criticism of Beauchemin. When he simplifies his game, he's actually a pretty good defenceman. It's when he's given too much time to think and handle the puck that he'll do things like foolishly pinch or get caught deep in the offensive zone.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:36 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The past few days I think Kaberle and Schenn have played very well together..
Agreed, these two are starting to really get in sync out there.

Which is nice, because earlier in the year they were a disaster together, even though they seem to make so much sense as a pairing.

Right now, though, we have two pairings that are playing some excellent, excellent hockey, and then a 5th Dman in Gunnarson who's playing well no matter who he plays beside.

Of course, the 6th guy, whethe it's Finger or Exelby, is a complete disaster every time he gets a shift.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
mooseOAK*

I think that you will find that Mitchell was told to be more assertive out there and not play as passively as he was before. That is, being more involved with the puck and while it has resulted in turnovers Mitchell has helped create offence also.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Mitchell's been playing well on the 2nd line.

He just had a couple of brainfarts on the PP yesterday - but to be fair, the whole team is having brainfarts on the PP.

Old
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Josssh

I think our first line should be given the nickname NBK (Nikolai-Bozak-Kessel). Natural Born Killers. They kill the other teams chances of victory!

Josssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

How about the BaNK line?

because they're money in the bank.

Old
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
it doesnt matter. every team has a crazy schedule since the olympics, and phaneuf just flat out needs to be better than that. He got beat on some of the most basic plays there are, played very poor positionally, and at one point even went to throw a hit and just fell over. and these mistkes werent all happening in the third period where you might expect, they were happening all game long.

He did play monster minutes but i mean jesus....that was just terrible decisionmaking.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL View Post
When Mitchell simplifies his game and plays within his limits, he's a perfectly serviceable player. It's when he's given too much time to think or handle the puck (and he's not participating in the shootout) that he has a tendency to make very poor decisions and cough up the puck. For the most part, I like him just fine on the PK but I tend to shudder or wince when I see him on the PP (not that I'm blaming the woes of the powerplay on Mitchell but he hasn't been very good when he has been given the chance to play with the man advantage).

On the penalty-killing unit, he's actually pretty good to have around when his job is simply to retrieve the puck and ice the sucker but any time he hangs on to the puck for an extended period of time, it's as though he starts over-thinking things and by the time he realises it, he's turned over the puck. I don't object to having Mitchell on the team but I would strongly prefer having him play a role that he is suited for and maybe gradually exploring the outer edges of his limits.

Incidentally, I have the same criticism of Beauchemin. When he simplifies his game, he's actually a pretty good defenceman. It's when he's given too much time to think and handle the puck that he'll do things like foolishly pinch or get caught deep in the offensive zone.
So much this! Well said.

He only plays bad when he gets time and space. He holds off the pass way too long hoping for a better option, then when none comes he tries an absurd dangle and gets stripped.

He needs to be in the slot or positioned somewhere near the net, since his shot is terrific, as we've seen. He has no business on the half wall though.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:07 PM
TheSilencer

i wouldn't get too much into this loss..we played good, got 1 point against the Pens on a back-to-back night..im happy with the 1 point

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 03:08 PM
NewFang

I have a whole new respect for Kessel. The guy is just pure class.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote