HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

So, here's my stab at a new Entry Draft thread. This is just a beginning. I'll be adding more prospects in the days ahead, and if anyone wants to help out, feel free to contribute. Tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Taylor Hall

Position: LW
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: North American skaters #1
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190 lbs
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Parise with half the guts and half the hockey sense.
Brief description: Taylor Hall is all about creating offense, mostly for himself. Incredible speed. Incredible hands. He is held back by questionable decision making. He tries to do too much sometimes, and is prone to making mistakes.

Tyler Seguin

Position: C
ISS Rank: 1
CS Rank: NAS 2
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs
Team (League): Plymouth (OHL)
Comparison: Steve Yzerman, but not quite as good.
Brief description: Seguin is the best playmaker in this draft, and he's probably the second most effective two-way center in the draft (taking both offense and defense into account, equally). He's no slouch in the goalscoring department, and he's also somewhat of a leader.

Cam Fowler

Position: D
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: NAS 3
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 197 lbs
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Scott Niedermayer offensively, poor man's Duncan Keith defensively.
Brief description: Very smart, very skilled defender. Plays an effective and efficient two-way game. Solid, but unspectacular speed. Can be reluctant toward the physical aspects of the game. Very safe pick. Very likely to reach full potential.

Erik Gudbranson

ISS Rank: 6
CS Rank: NAS 6
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
Team (League): Kingston (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Bogosian with more smarts.
Brief description: He's gritty, he is physical and he is smart defensively. He's also a good passer and has a big shot. Another safe pick, this guy will be a solid piece for any team.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Position: RW
ISS Rank: 4
CS Rank: EU 2
Weight: 190 lbs
Team (League): Novosibirsk (KHL)
Comparison: Phil Kessel with Mogilny-like hands.
Brief description: Tarasenko is an offensive dynamo. Great hands, great shot, great moves. Deceptively fast skater. Questionable willingness to play defense, combined with questions about his transfer status may cause him to fall.

Brett Connolly

ISS Rank: 11
CS Rank: NAS 4
Weight: 180 lbs
Team (League): Prince George (WHL)
Comparison: Marian Gaborik with a smaller build and moves that aren't quite as flashy.
Brief description: If it wasn't for lingering concerns about Connolly's hip flexor injury issues, this young man would probably be the third-highest forward picked in the draft. But he will drop, and perhaps, some lucky team can get a real steal. He has very good puckhandling skills, great speed, and possibly the best wrist shot in the draft.

Alexander Burmistrov

ISS Rank: 12
CS Rank: NAS 7
Team (League): Barrie (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Pavel Datsyuk mixed with Stephen Weiss
Brief description: The best two-way center in the draft, and probably the smartest forward in the draft. Excellent passer, solid playmaker, and very responsible. Not a great skater and not particularly strong or physical, but makes up for it with excellent positioning.

Brandon Gormley

ISS Rank: 5
CS Rank: NAS 8
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Keith Yandle
Brief description: An all-purpose player who isn't especially great at any part of the game. His utilitarian skillset will propel him to a higher selection than his talent alone would have. He can be a part of the offense, he can be a part of the defense, and he can eat up minutes.

Kirill Kabanov

ISS Rank: 7
CS Rank: NAS 15
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky
Brief Description: All-world skill already tagged with the "enigmatic" label , Kabanov will drop. The question is, how low? He is one of the most talented offensive players in the draft, but he doesn't play defense and he is perceived to have attitude problems. An all too familiar risk/reward scenario: go for broke and hope the big talent overcomes the character issues.

Nino Niederreiter

Position: LW
ISS Rank: 9
CS Rank: NAS 14
Weight: 205 lbs.
Team (League): Portland (WHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Rick Nash, Dustin Penner
Brief Description: Nino is big and strong, has a booming shot, and is a total workhorse. To this point, he's been very difficult to stop, or even slow down. But questions remain, mainly about his hockey IQ. He's gotten by on his physical gifts so far. He'll very likely stick in the NHL, even if he doesn't reach his full potential, but if a team picks him in the top 10, they'll be hoping he can be taught.

Austin Watson

Position: C/RW
ISS Rank: 8
CS Rank: NAS 25
Weight: 180 lbs.
Team (League): Peterborough (OHL)
Comparison: Mix of Jordan Staal and Travis Zajac
Brief Description: Since being traded to the Petes earlier this season and being given more icetime and responsibility, Watson's stock has really risen. Already known for being one of the best defensive forwards in this year's draft, he's also showing that he can score. He still needs to get bigger and stronger, which will likely come. He's looking like a good bet to end up as a very good, two-way second line forward.

Mikael Granlund

ISS Rank: 14
CS Rank: EU 1
Height: 5'10"
Team (League): HIFK (SM-Liiga)
Comparison: Saku Koivu, Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Brief Description: Granlund is a very shifty player with great skill. Unfortunately, he's also small and isn't particularly fast, which isn't exactly a recipe for success. Although smaller guys can succeed in the NHL today, they tend to require quickness to evade their larger competition. Granlund's lack of speed has seen him fall out of the projected top 5-10. He'll probably go somewhere in the 10-15 range.

Derek Forbort

ISS Rank: 10
CS Rank: NAS 11
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: Brent Burns/Braydon Coburn
Brief Description: Still very raw, Forbort is obviously an attractive prospect due to his great size. At this point, his skillset has a little bit of everything, and he hasn't established himself in a particular niche. That may very well change as he gets a bit older and plays against tougher competition. He has the size to be physical and nasty, but that isn't a big part of his game yet.

Riley Sheahan

ISS Rank: 13
CS Rank: NAS 5
Weight: 200 lbs.
Team (League): Notre Dame (CCHA)
Comparison: Mike Fisher with a little more offense and speed.
Brief Description: Very smart defensive forward who also possesses great speed. Chances are high that he'll be at least a good third line center. His offense doesn't seem great enough to suggest he's going to be a big scorer, but it isn't out of the range of possibility for him to be a solid second line center, either.

Mark Pysyk

ISS Rank: 16
CS Rank: NAS 9
Team (League): Edmonton (WHL)
Comparison: Smaller, less physical Brooks Orpik.
Brief Description: Pysyk is a solid all-around prospect. He doesn't excel at any particular area, but he can play in all situations. He's a good decision maker, but his skating could stand to improve. He projects as a dependable second-pairing defenseman.

Ryan Johansen

Other Clips:
1 | 2 | 3

ISS Rank: 17
CS Rank: North American skaters 16
Weight: 194 lbs
Team (League): Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
Comparison: Ryan Getzlaf with a bit less physicality.
Brief description: Sweet pair of hands on a big body. Excellent play making ability and a quality shot, though he's reluctant to use it at times. Plays a true power-center role and has broken through physically in his first year with Portland by playing with more of an edge. Surprising speed and agility for a player his size. Most scouts feel he projects to play at 6'4 and 200lbs+ when he's finished growing. Stock has risen tremendously this year, but some attribute his success to playing with probable top-10 pick Nino Niederreiter.

Jonathan Merrill

ISS Rank: 21
CS Rank: NAS 20
Weight: 200 lbs
Team (League): US Development Team
Comparison: Mix of Marc Staal and Jordan Leopold
Brief description: Merrill has a nice big frame, and he seems to have a big brain, too. He's smart on both sides of the puck, but he still has somethings to work on. He needs to be more physical, more assertive offensively, and of course, he still needs to finish growing into that frame.

John McFarland

Position: LW/C
ISS Rank: 30
CS Rank: NAS 10
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs
Team (League): Sudbury (OHL)
Comparison: Marian Hossa with less size and without any brains.
Brief description: Another classic headcase. He's got great moves, speed, and skills, but he has an attitude problem and his hockey IQ is very low. If he can be tamed and taught, he will be a huge steal. But that's a big if.

Jarred Tinordi

ISS Rank: 26
CS Rank: North American skaters 38
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 205 lbs
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: His father, Mark Tinordi. Maybe even bigger and stronger.
Brief description: Incredible frame that will surely fill out more as he gets older. He's huge. He's gritty. He's tough. He plays smart defense. His offense is come-and-go at this point, and needs some work. Still, he's shown flashes of a booming shot. This kid is a beast. Team that drafts him is going to get a guy that can scare the crap out of opposing teams on a nightly basis for the next 10-15 years.

Stanislav Galiev

Position: LW/RW
ISS Rank: N/A
CS Rank: NAS 20
Team (League): Saint John (QMJHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Semin.
Brief description: Smart playmaking winger with great hands. Good speed, good vision, solid decision maker. Going to be a very nice second line wing, 60-65 points a season.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 04-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old
03-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Nice post, Sting.

However the YT videos won't load... You have to use the "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceSH5a71UQ" codes after the = signs only, not the entire URL between the YT Tags.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Nice post, Sting.

However the YT videos won't load... You have to use the "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceSH5a71UQ" codes after the = signs only, not the entire URL between the YT Tags.
Fixed. Thanks, on both accounts.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
That is an AWESOME start. Thanks Sting.

It's just pain.
Old
03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
COOL.

Im already pumped up for our pick. Kabanov/Tarasenko should hopefully fall to where we're at. Landing Straka in the second round, and Nick Vangog in the 7th and im officially a happy camper.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Hall being 6'1" and 190 is quite generous. Watching him in WJC he looked way smaller then that.
More like 5'10" 170.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Hall being 6'1" and 190 is quite generous. Watching him in WJC he looked way smaller then that.
More like 5'10" 170.
Well, I tried to get an aggregate figure for each height and weight for all of the players, based on all of the different listings on the web. But I agree, he does look smaller than those numbers. He will grow, though, and I took that into consideration, also.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

if the season ended today we would have 7th overall!

Old
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
if the season ended today we would have 7th overall!
8th.

Old
03-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

So at best we get a top 5 pick, most likely 4-5. At worst 10-11.

We pick at 4 or 5 who do you pick?

We pick at 10-11 who do you pick?

Old
03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Nicely done, Sting. BTW, unless the Rangers were to end up winning the lottery or somehow trade up to get Seguin, the player I really like a lot is Burmistrov. My question is whether or not he's a potential #1 center if he develops properly, but, judging by your comparison, it sounds like that would be his top end.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Give me a Russian this draft in the first round. Everyone else is either an injury risk, too safe of a pick, or has huge question marks. Give me Kabanov or Tarasenko. Burmistrov actually looks a little too safe to me, though I do see a little bit of Brad Richards in him. I guess I wouldn't be upset if the Rangers drafted Burmistrov, as he'd fill a need in the prospect department, come to think of it.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Nicely done, Sting. BTW, unless the Rangers were to end up winning the lottery or somehow trade up to get Seguin, the player I really like a lot is Burmistrov. My question is whether or not he's a potential #1 center if he develops properly, but, judging by your comparison, it sounds like that would be his top end.
See, I disagree. This description:

Quote:
Excellent passer, solid playmaker, and very responsible. Not a great skater and not particularly strong or physical, but makes up for it with excellent positioning.
Sounds an awful lot like both Anismov and Stepan. What this team needs is dynamic, gamebreaking talent - especially at center. Either trade up and get Seguin or trade down and get Johansen.

Or make me ecstatic and figure out a way to get both.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
See, I disagree. This description:

Sounds an awful lot like both Anismov and Stepan. What this team needs is dynamic, gamebreaking talent - especially at center. Either trade up and get Seguin or trade down and get Johansen.

Or make me ecstatic and figure out a way to get both.
Don't worry, we'll nab Kabanov when he falls into the 2nd round.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

It should really be intresting whos on our radar. I can see us moving up or moving down.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think, more likely than not, Burmistrov ends up as a very, very good second line center. 65-70 points, excellent defense. He's one of my favorite players in the draft.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Do you think one of Kabanov or McFarland drops into the second round because of attitude problems?

Possible 2nd round players.....

Howden
Schwartz
Nelson
Galiev
Straka
Kitsyn
Kuznetsov
Ilrath
Knight
Merrill
Johns
Pulkkinen
Mcilrath
Tinordi
Pitlick
Toffoli
Ross
Petrovic
Telegin
Coyle

Old
03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
Do you think one of Kabanov or McFarland drops into the second round because of attitude problems?

Possible 2nd round players.....

Howden
Schwartz
Nelson
Galiev
Straka
Kitsyn
Kuznetsov
Ilrath
Knight
Merrill
Johns
Pulkkinen
Mcilrath
Tinordi
Pitlick
Toffoli
Ross
Petrovic
Telegin
Coyle
Not a chance in hell Kabanov drops to the second round.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Not a chance in hell Kabanov drops to the second round.
Figured that, I still feel if hes available when we pick, he should be strongly considered. People actually think hes gunna fall to the second thats why I asked.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Get one, trade up to get the other, and in two years Tarasenko and Kabanov could be a nasty duo.

Old
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
Figured that, I still feel if hes available when we pick, he should be strongly considered. People actually think hes gunna fall to the second thats why I asked.
I mean, afaik the only ones who think hes gonna drop to the second round are the ones who blow the Russian attitude thing out of the water.

He may fall to 15 or so like cherepanov did, but ill tell you this, if the Rangers pick later than 7-8 and he is available Ill gladly eat an entire crow platter if the Rangers dont pick him.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Cherepanisimov

I think you are overrating Tarasenko's skating a little. Obviously it is hard to see a player such as him play, but he has kind of a weird stride from what I remember. Still pretty fast, but not an exceptional skater. As in he might blow by you one on one, but he won't weave in and out like an Ovechkin. I'd liken his skating to Gaborik-lite.

Old
03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

You have to think at some point the Rangers would like to see how a Stepan-Gaborik combo would work for the top line.

Secondly, the organization needs to decide what they are going to do with Dubinsky as far as playing center or the wing.

Lastly, Anisimov projects to a 2nd line center.

I guess my point is that it looks like if the Rangers draft a center, by the time he's ready, they'll move Dubi to wing, have either the pick or Stepan center the top line while the other gets the second.

I think we need a franchise center. I would be willing to trade our top-7 pick (if thats what we get), Anisimov or Stepan and maybe even our 2nd this year for the chance to grab Seguin at No. 2

Then again, Burmistrov would be great at 7 and we would have to trade anything to get him.

I just hope we finish in the top-2 and dont have to worry about it

Old
03-29-2010, 12:43 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Columbus won tonight which is good, one point behind the Rangers.

The thing is, the Rangers have a pretty easy schedule compared to Columbus and Atlanta, so they might finish 10-11. If that's the case Nino and Burmistrov will most likely be taken.

I'm hoping they land at 6th or 7th, that would be perfect and give them many options.

Old
03-29-2010, 12:44 AM
ColonialsHockey10

The more I think about, Brett Conolly would be an awesome pick. He's an awesome offensive player, and his injury is a big IF, but he can somehow avoid it long term, he has 1st line upside.

Closed Thread