HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 06:10 AM
  #26
cmdevisser
Registered User
 
cmdevisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
You have to think at some point the Rangers would like to see how a Stepan-Gaborik combo would work for the top line.

Secondly, the organization needs to decide what they are going to do with Dubinsky as far as playing center or the wing.

Lastly, Anisimov projects to a 2nd line center.

I guess my point is that it looks like if the Rangers draft a center, by the time he's ready, they'll move Dubi to wing, have either the pick or Stepan center the top line while the other gets the second.


You have to consider the fact that we are developing an elite set of wingers also.

Kreider Gaborik
Grachev Dubinsky/Callahan
_____ Werek (I think he'll end up a winger)


All we have to do is keep drafting high end talent in the second round (we've been pretty damn good with that lately) and we can continue to improve the talent on that projected depth chart. Eventually we could have a bigger, more physical, and faster version of the Buffalo team that beat us in 2007.

I think we need a franchise center. I would be willing to trade our top-7 pick (if thats what we get), Anisimov or Stepan and maybe even our 2nd this year for the chance to grab Seguin at No. 2

Then again, Burmistrov would be great at 7 and we would have to trade anything to get him.

I just hope we finish in the top-2 and dont have to worry about it
I wouldn't be willing to part w/ Anisimov or Stepan right now because I feel like this team is building toward a Detroit model, not a Pittsburgh model. Pitt wins because they have two of the elite players in the game, Detroit wins because they have players who have turned into elite, hard working teammates. I would rather have Anisimov, Stepan, and Burmistrov down the middle than Seguin and whoever else we could find.

cmdevisser is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 06:17 AM
  #27
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
I wouldn't be willing to part w/ Anisimov or Stepan right now because I feel like this team is building toward a Detroit model, not a Pittsburgh model. Pitt wins because they have two of the elite players in the game, Detroit wins because they have players who have turned into elite, hard working teammates. I would rather have Anisimov, Stepan, and Burmistrov down the middle than Seguin and whoever else we could find.
To me, the key with Burmistrov is whether the organization believes he has 1st line center ability, and how likely it is he reaches that ability. If Clark and his crew feel Burmistrov is only a half a step down from Seguin, then there's no need to deplete assets.

jas is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
  #28
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
nice work sting. i would question your comments on burmistrov however.

you say hes not a great skater? i think you have him mixed up with someone else.

dude does not have any skating issues. hes f a s t. with the puck, hes even faster. hes got a bit of a herky stride but he can really move and he very elusive with the puck.

size is his only issue. hes not small, hes 6'0 but hes not a real big kid for sure.

we need to be sure we get those descriptions correct if were gonna highlight these guys.

and for the record, he would be a solid 10-15 take in this draft.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
  #29
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
See, I disagree. This description:

Sounds an awful lot like both Anismov and Stepan. What this team needs is dynamic, gamebreaking talent - especially at center. Either trade up and get Seguin or trade down and get Johansen.

Or make me ecstatic and figure out a way to get both.
Where did you find that description? Burmistrov is actually a solid skater. He has great speed, but his stride and acceleration needs a little bit of work.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
  #30
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Excellent job from Sting. Very interesting commentary on the players as well.

I would like to see the Rangers somehow get into the top 5--though I'd prefer a forward particularly Seguin or Hall. I wouldn't be against Fowler or Gudbrandson if they were around.

eco's bones is online now  
Old
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
  #31
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Where did you find that description? Burmistrov is actually a solid skater. He has great speed, but his stride and acceleration needs a little bit of work.
From Sting's summary! If Burmistrov has top-end speed, then I am less concerned about him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
  #32
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I didn't say he was a bad skater. Just not a great skater, IMO. He's among the guys in this draft that I've seen play the most, so I'll stand by my description of him 100 percent. And I think he'd make for a fine 7-10 pick too, not just 10-15.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
  #33
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Added three more players to the bottom of the first post.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
  #34
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
From Sting's summary! If Burmistrov has top-end speed, then I am less concerned about him.
Ha. Guess I should try reading next time.

Can't say I agree on that bit then.


Last edited by Trxjw: 03-29-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
  #35
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,360
vCash: 500
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
  #36
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?
I think, as always it has to be a balance. The Rangers of course need a 1st line prospect but if the kid has attitude issues will he ever get a chance to play for this organization? Are the Rangers willing to gamble on the fact that they have enough players who are great team-players that will keep him focused?

If the Rangers pick 9th and Kabanov is still available I would hope the Rangers have though out those answers. However, if they pick 5th or 6th and there is another player of similar skill but better attitude then I hope they pick the slightly less skilled player who has a better chance of reaching his potential.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
  #37
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?
I think he would have to be strongly considered. We are missing that one prospect with all that skill. Dont get me wrong, Grachev, Kreider, Stepan have talent but Kabanov has a higher ceiling and potential.

They will defiantly meet and talk with him at the combine. Sometimes the meetings can affect the players draft place(Schroeder)

Tarasenko is another player i would take a gamble on.

Connolly if healthy, I would pick over Kabanov/Burmistrov/Tarasenko

Dredden is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
  #38
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
I think he would have to be strongly considered. We are missing that one prospect with all that skill. Dont get me wrong, Grachev, Kreider, Stepan have talent but Kabanov has a higher ceiling and potential.

They will defiantly meet and talk with him at the combine. Sometimes the meetings can affect the players draft place(Schroeder)

Tarasenko is another player i would take a gamble on.

Connolly if healthy, I would pick over Kabanov/Burmistrov/Tarasenko
Agreed.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
  #39
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?
due diligence. im certain our braintrust will interview the heck outa the kids they like.

we'll have plenty of time to watch K2 at the u18's. he will be looked at alot.

K2 will be one of those kids that teams will either run away from immediately or interview a ton looking for a reason to run. the teams that come away from that interview process not finding anything will be the ones salivating on draft day hoping he drops in their lap.

as always, the nyr guys will have a good look at those guys they expect to be available when they pick. they will rank them by position and preference. as they come off the board, they will look to the next bpa and grab whom they think will be the best pro.

imo, this draft has a solid top 5.

hall
sequin
fowler
gudbranson
gormley

after that, there are questions with desire, size, health and ceiling but there is also value if you are willing to roll the dice.

should be a fun draft.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
  #40
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?
I would have normally said that if there was ever a team that would ignore alleged personality issues in favor of "star power" it would be the Rangers. However, it seems that Clark & Co. are committed to bringing in more character as opposed to just flat out skill. If last year was 2004, I have no doubt we would have selected Shroeder.

I love Kabanov's ceiling, and I think his 'issues' are being overblown to an extent. However, I don't see a cozy relationship between him and Tortorella moving forward. Some kids need to be treated as kids, and some can be treated as adults. Tortorella doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

Anyway, I have this sneaking feeling that Connolly will be our pick after our team docs have a look at him. I wouldn't be surprised to see our scouts pass on some of the talented Russians in favor of another North American kid.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
  #41
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
due diligence. im certain our braintrust will interview the heck outa the kids they like.

we'll have plenty of time to watch K2 at the u18's. he will be looked at alot.

K2 will be one of those kids that teams will either run away from immediately or interview a ton looking for a reason to run. the teams that come away from that interview process not finding anything will be the ones salivating on draft day hoping he drops in their lap.

as always, the nyr guys will have a good look at those guys they expect to be available when they pick. they will rank them by position and preference. as they come off the board, they will look to the next bpa and grab whom they think will be the best pro.

imo, this draft has a solid top 5.

hall
sequin
fowler
gudbranson
gormley

after that, there are questions with desire, size, health and ceiling but there is also value if you are willing to roll the dice.

should be a fun draft.
No way Gormley should be a top 5 pick. He's the most overrated player in the top group. Second-pairing defenseman at best.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
  #42
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I would have normally said that if there was ever a team that would ignore alleged personality issues in favor of "star power" it would be the Rangers. However, it seems that Clark & Co. are committed to bringing in more character as opposed to just flat out skill. If last year was 2004, I have no doubt we would have selected Shroeder.

I love Kabanov's ceiling, and I think his 'issues' are being overblown to an extent. However, I don't see a cozy relationship between him and Tortorella moving forward. Some kids need to be treated as kids, and some can be treated as adults. Tortorella doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

Anyway, I have this sneaking feeling that Connolly will be our pick after our team docs have a look at him. I wouldn't be surprised to see our scouts pass on some of the talented Russians in favor of another North American kid.
I hope you're right. Connolly is definitely the guy I want most other than Hall/Seguin. If his injuries aren't a concern, he's what this team needs.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:38 PM
  #43
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In this years draft does offensive skill trump all other categories for you guys ? Just curious to hear some reactions.

Kabanov has a world of skill and he could slide to us. Do you think we HAVE to take him if he's the most skilled player available?

What about attitude, effort and desire to win? Will that matter much to you when looking over these prospects?
Given the void the Rangers have in top end skill, I learn in that direction. Now if all things are equal otherwise, then you go with the better character. But, as a comparison, if its Kabanov as opposed to Nino, I think I'm leaning Kabanov right now.

jas is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
  #44
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
due diligence. im certain our braintrust will interview the heck outa the kids they like.

we'll have plenty of time to watch K2 at the u18's. he will be looked at alot.

K2 will be one of those kids that teams will either run away from immediately or interview a ton looking for a reason to run. the teams that come away from that interview process not finding anything will be the ones salivating on draft day hoping he drops in their lap.

as always, the nyr guys will have a good look at those guys they expect to be available when they pick. they will rank them by position and preference. as they come off the board, they will look to the next bpa and grab whom they think will be the best pro.

imo, this draft has a solid top 5.

hall
sequin
fowler
gudbranson
gormley

after that, there are questions with desire, size, health and ceiling but there is also value if you are willing to roll the dice.

should be a fun draft.
Schroeder is the example that comes to mind from last year's draft. Again, if Clark and his staff have no concerns about such a player, then I am comfortable with their decision.

jas is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
  #45
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I would have normally said that if there was ever a team that would ignore alleged personality issues in favor of "star power" it would be the Rangers. However, it seems that Clark & Co. are committed to bringing in more character as opposed to just flat out skill. If last year was 2004, I have no doubt we would have selected Shroeder.

I love Kabanov's ceiling, and I think his 'issues' are being overblown to an extent. However, I don't see a cozy relationship between him and Tortorella moving forward. Some kids need to be treated as kids, and some can be treated as adults. Tortorella doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

Anyway, I have this sneaking feeling that Connolly will be our pick after our team docs have a look at him. I wouldn't be surprised to see our scouts pass on some of the talented Russians in favor of another North American kid.
i mentioned something similar in a different thread. i agreev and i dont like torts around any young russian. i dont think thats a good mix at all.

prefer k2 and no torts. that combo works for me

i will also agree that the k2 thing has been blown out. he needs to have a solid u18 and then see what happens. again, 6'4 210 with that kinda skill is unique.

lastly, connolly is surely on the radar. every team will be obsessing over his medical records im sure. kids a flat out sniper

one more thing. character with less skill to me is ryan callahan. love the kid but weve shown we cant win with that kinda player alone.

i prefer home grown enegmatic russian game changer.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
  #46
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I hope you're right. Connolly is definitely the guy I want most other than Hall/Seguin. If his injuries aren't a concern, he's what this team needs.
I'd like Connolly too if the injuries don't seem bad. But if the injuries don't worry anyone he's a top 7 maybe top 5 pick.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
  #47
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
Mock Drafts Discussion

I figure there will be many Mock Drafts coming out relatively soon as the playoffs start and finish so here is a thread for people to post them and discuss.

I found a few here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

They are under the middle of the page, there are 4 of them.

- Adam Kimelman has the Rangers taking Taresenko

- Mike Morreales has the Rangers taking Nino

- Jen Raimondi has the Rangers taking Taresenko

- Shawn Roarke has the Rangers taking Burmistrov

Very interesting that none of them have the Rangers taking a NA player. I can't say I would be upset with any of those players and they all have the Rangers picking at #8.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
  #48
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Sheahans way to high on some of those.

Dredden is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
  #49
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I hope you're right. Connolly is definitely the guy I want most other than Hall/Seguin. If his injuries aren't a concern, he's what this team needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd like Connolly too if the injuries don't seem bad. But if the injuries don't worry anyone he's a top 7 maybe top 5 pick.
As far as I know, he has the same sort of injury that Gaborik dealt with, right? Hip flexor?

I have a lot of confidence that we'll walk out of this draft with an elite player, regardless of who I want them to pick. There's a lot of scenarios that could play out.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
  #50
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
I think I may be leaning towards Nino/Burmistrov over Kabanov myself. I know they may not have as high of a ceiling but the attitude issues never seem to work out in NYC. I think Burmistrov and Nino can be 1st line players who will play all over the ice and make the players around them better.

It has seemed like the Rangers are trying to build a team that will fit an identity more than overly skilled. Kreider, Stepan, Werek, Grachev all play a solid NA style. Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery and Gaborik do as well. I just get the feeling they will take the player who they feel can add to their team in more than one dimension.

This post is not to be taken as a fact that I don't like Kabanov, I find him intriguing, but by looking at the past I don't see the Rangers and Clark going for him.

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.