HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Added my man Ryan Johansen to the first post.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If they want to trade into top ten it'll be for Connolly if he's there. So they get their Dman in Fowler and their scorer in Connolly. I'd take #13 (Johansen) and another 2nd rounder. Maybe take those two 2nd rounders of ours and move up to be assured we get Tinordi.

Johansen and Tinordi.

We just might have solved some of the size issues
I'd take Boston's 1st, and Toronto's 2nd for our 1st depending on what the board is looking like.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Fiiiinally !

Good write up, even though I wouldn't say he was a product of El Nino as much as some may think. He was a point per game player and lead Portland(along with Ross) while Nino was at the WJC's. Playoffs they both have 6 points each.

And he's 17, I wouldn't call him a less physical anything yet, he's still growing into his frame.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Fiiiinally !

Good write up, even though I wouldn't say he was a product of El Nino as much as some may think. He was a point per game player and lead Portland(along with Ross) while Nino was at the WJC's. Playoffs they both have 6 points each.

And he's 17, I wouldn't call him a less physical anything yet, he's still growing into his frame.
I agree on both counts. I was just trying to force some objectivity in there since I'm really high on the kid. I know some have mentioned the Nino bit, as well as the "needs to be more physical", so I figured I'd throw it in there.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
He was next on my list!

Quote:
Fiiiinally !

I think he's helped Nino just as much as Nino has helped him.

Old
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
I agree on both counts. I was just trying to force some objectivity in there since I'm really high on the kid. I know some have mentioned the Nino bit, as well as the "needs to be more physical", so I figured I'd throw it in there.
How many Winterhawks games have you watched or are you just basing the analysis from clips?

Either way it seems like an accurate write up on Johansen. I would love to get a mid 1st and pick him.

Old
03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Seems like if Johansen lives up to his potential, he'll be exactly what the organization needs.

Could be a very nice pick.

RANGERS =
Old
03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I think either Nino or Johansen fit the mold of what the Rangers want with the character, skill, and size. Nino also has that charisma that could turn him into a star or a very marketable guy in NY.

The Rangers are very familiar with the Winterhawks as well; Dubi and Sauer among others, and Luke Walker plays for them so you know the scouts know who these guys are very well.

Once again, it all depends on Columbus. It is a fact that Hall/Seguin go one and two, and after that is a crap shoot. It is also a fact that Columbus will NOT pick either Kabanov/Tarasenko due to their "luck" with Zherdev/Filatov. I have a hunch they might go for Connolly.

I just like Nino; something about him. He just has this attitude and fearlessness that he could not only handle NY, but own this town. If he's available, I pick him.

And if Kabanov somehow goes untouched into round 2, you grab him and ask question later. As Anisimov gets older and more experienced, hopefully he can be the guy to lead by example and look up to for all the young Russians.

Old
03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
NYR Viper

Wouldn't it be nice if the Rangers were able to grab Nino at say #6 or #7 and then make a trade for the #20-22 pick and pick Johansen? Allow them both to go back to juniors and dominate together and continue to grow together and develop chemistry from a very young age.

If they could get those 2 players I would consider the entire draft a success.

Old
03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the Rangers were able to grab Nino at say #6 or #7 and then make a trade for the #20-22 pick and pick Johansen? Allow them both to go back to juniors and dominate together and continue to grow together and develop chemistry from a very young age.

I would love to get them both, secretly, i'm trying to influence whoever I know in high places to make it happen. Unfortunately i have no pull whatsoever that's why i do it in secret

Old
03-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Johansen gets 2 assists, El Nino gets 1 goal in tonight's 4-3 playoff loss in Portland. They play game 7 of their series Wednesday night in Spokane.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Claxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

Would be a top strategy. Wish it would have been done with Duchene and Grachev last year but its a lot more possible for Nino/Ryan.

Now imagine what dealing Prospal could have done to aid this situation.

Old
03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

how do you get tickets to the draft anyway? hmm....

Old
03-30-2010, 01:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

My dream scenario that is within the realm of possibility (as in not Hall or Seguin):
We end up with one of Connolly/Johansen/Tarasenko + Tinordi

My fantasy scenario that is within the realm of possibility (as in not Hall or Seguin):
We end up with one of Connolly/Johansen/Tarasenko + Tinordi + Straka

Old
03-30-2010, 01:58 AM
darko

I'm loving this thread. Great work Sting...

Old
03-30-2010, 06:09 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Alright I'll ask this again:

What do we know about Jeff Skinner, who IMO should be considered waaaay before Johansen?

I'm basing this totally on numbers, but I don't understand how a kid puts up 50 goals and 90 points in his draft year and gets absolutely no hype at all. He's 5'11" 195 so size isn't a huge issue. He's a center, which is what we need right?

Someone please tell me about the number 7 scorer in the OHL this year, because I find his total absence from the conversation totally befuddling.

Last edited by cmdevisser: 03-30-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old
03-30-2010, 06:49 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post

What do we know about Jeff Skinner, who IMO should be considered waaaay before Johansen?

I'm basing this totally on numbers, but I don't understand how a kid puts up 50 goals and 90 points in his draft year and gets absolutely no hype at all. He's 5'11" 195 so size isn't a huge issue. He's a center, which is what we need right?

Someone please tell me about the number 7 scorer in the OHL this year, because I find his total absence from the conversation totally befuddling.
He's not the best skater and he's also 5-11 on his best day. I wouldn't hate the pick but it's not always about who is better now, it's about who projects better - which is why I would still prefer Johansen.

03-30-2010, 06:56 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

i know a fair bit about mr skinner as i kinda follow the kitchener team.

first off, kitchener is loaded this year. they are stacked.

as for skinner, hes got great instincts and nice hands, hes a goal scorer. offensively, hes money.

but, hes not real big and he doesnt have the best wheels. thats not a great combo when you are projecting a kid from juniors to the nhl. his bust potential would be that hes the prototypical junior hockey scorer/sniper who perhaps becomes an ahl fixture type guy.

theres some boom potential here ala perhaps a jeremy morin type but hes only 5'10 and that along with his average skating will be the concern.

hell go late 1st though as theres some hype with his goal scoring this year and the attention from playing for the rangers.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 03-30-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old
03-30-2010, 07:15 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
My dream scenario that is within the realm of possibility (as in not Hall or Seguin):
We end up with one of Connolly/Johansen/Tarasenko + Tinordi

My fantasy scenario that is within the realm of possibility (as in not Hall or Seguin):
We end up with one of Connolly/Johansen/Tarasenko + Tinordi + Straka
i do not get all the man love for tinordi.

ive seen him and while hes huge and mean and shows solid leadership, hes brutal with the puck. i mean he fights it something fierce. his skating is pretty weak too. hes akward and never seems like hes in control when hes skating.

he has minimal offensive abilities and to me would be a reach above the 3rd round.

hes a project for sure who would look nice protecting the crease as long as he doesnt need to cross the blue line.

sorry. not seein it with this guy.

Old
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
How many Winterhawks games have you watched or are you just basing the analysis from clips?

Either way it seems like an accurate write up on Johansen. I would love to get a mid 1st and pick him.
Maybe 8 or 9? 3 on TV, including the CHL all-star game, and a few on DVD that a friend let me borrow back in January. I'll give him a shout and see if he can rip them so I can let everyone take a look.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Small, slow, and isn't strong at all.

He's very shifty with the puck, but he doesn't have enough acceleration to get by NHL defenders, and he doesn't have the strength to protect the puck. Still, offensively he's incredibly skilled. Great vision, fantastic wrist shot, and good hockey sense.

Not much of a defensive game, and I think 5'11 195 is being extremely generous.

Johansen may have less points, but he's also a work in progress that could end up being a legitimate #1 center. Skinner doesn't project as a center in the NHL at all, IMO. He just doesn't have the skating ability.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gare Joyce blog

Quote:
In the last few weeks, Kabanov's stock fell more than any other player's did in the entire season. Although mock drafts have Kabanov slotted in the top 20, some even the top 10, they are not even warm. Tectonic plates will have to shift if the Moscow native is going to get picked in the first three rounds.
Quote:
Even as recently as midseason, one NHL scout shared the top 10 on his list with me -- he had no dog in this hunt since his team had no chance of landing a high pick. He had Kabanov at No. 4. He prefaced this by saying that it was a ranking just on talent -- that there would have to be hard questions about the ability to sign (or keep) Kabanov if he had offers to entertain from the KHL. He also said there was significant "negative buzz" about Kabanov that would make a lot of NHL GMs wary of investing a pick and seven figures in him.
Quote:
"It is just about the stupidest thing ever," said the scout who had him slotted No. 4 early in the season. "He's now going back to a country that he had to fight to get out of last fall. It's not that he was in a bad situation. He couldn't get along with people in a good organization, a really respected one. Danny Flynn is good people. I saw Kabanov early in the year and after he came back from injury, and he has great talent, top-10 talent. But he's managed to fall right out of the first round and I don't know who'd touch him after that, maybe a team that has a bunch of second- and third-rounders and feels like one high-risk-high-reward pick is okay. He's going to be out millions over this and all the damage has been self-inflicted."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aft&id=5040646

Moncton paid Kabanov $175,000 to play for them. Kabanov isn't a bad kid. Just a high maintenance kid. His father is really the agent and not Scott Greenspun.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

pick him pick him pick him. We have enough depth in the system (Weise, Byers, Grachev, Horak) to take some shots for top players this draft. s

Old
03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I would be absolutely thrilled if Kabanov was on the board when the Rangers 2nd pick came up. I have no doubt that if he fell that far, the Rangers would throw caution to the wind and take the kid. Imagine somehow walking away with a top ten pick AND Kabanov in round two.

Old
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Tectonic plates will have to shift if the Moscow native is going to get picked in the first three rounds.
Kabanov is going to slide for sure, but there's no way I buy that. Even with the alleged character issues, I couldn't see a team like Pittsburgh passing up the opportunity to stick Kabanov on Malkin's wing for a few years.

If he's sitting there when we pick in the 2nd round, damn the tough d-man, you have to take him.

Closed Thread