HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Where's the car audio pro's?

Old
03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Where's the car audio pro's?

Ok its time for a car deck upgrade. Right now, I have a Panasonic CQ-C8300U installed in my '98 Dakota:

I came across this unit: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...665c7e58e5en02

Futureshop will match the $399 installed price that BestBuy has in its flyer this week, and take another 10% off. Seems like a no-brainer to do. But the guy went on a site to see if it would fit my truck's dash, and found that it wouldn't because it doesn't have a proper mounting bracket or something like that.

I guess my question is, is there anyway around this & would it be easy to fit this thing into my dash? Am I looking at too much customization for this deck?

Thanks for any help.

chris_dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:42 PM
FruityPants3*

Not a pro, but that would make a mess. It's easy to go from an oversized OEM deck to a smaller after market with a kit, but going up in size you are probably going to hit the venting and everything. You'd end up paying through the nose to install if someone could.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Not a pro, but that would make a mess. It's easy to go from an oversized OEM deck to a smaller after market with a kit, but going up in size you are probably going to hit the venting and everything. You'd end up paying through the nose to install if someone could.
Just looking at your dash and that unit it looks like you'd have to carve up your dash pretty good just to fit it in, and that's not taking into consideration how deep the unit is and whether or not it would even fit that way. The deck is apparently about 6.5" high and judging from your pic it looks like you have maybe 4" or so of room to play with. I don't think there is anyway it would fit without building some custom mount and even then it would probably end up looking like garbage.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I like Pioneer & Alpine.

Pioneer deck in my truck w/ ipod connection running to my center console

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:04 AM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Ok guys thanks for the input. Pretty much what I was expecting to hear...but still had a slim hope that somebody would pipe up & say it could work.

Oh well...guess I'll have to do some more deck shopping, which sucks cause that was a great deal on that unit.

chris_dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:36 AM
snakeye

Google the word sucks.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
neofury*

I'm not car audio expert, but the best decks I've seen are Alpine or Pioneer. As per your question, I believe you need what is called a "dash kit" and you'll be fine. Whether or not the futureshop nublets can figure this out, have one, or know how to install it, I have no idea. Usually the sales reps aren't nearly as knowledgable about this type of stuff as the guys in the back installing it, who from what I've seen do know their stuff. (I hate futureshop, but I knew somebody who did car audio for them in my area and he was a pro)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Here's the important question, do you really need an all-in-one unit?

What's wrong with an external GPS mounted on your dash and your stereo to be your AM/FM/SAT/mp3 player?

I think that set up is the more feasible solution.... GPS device you could remove or hide in your interior when you park in certain neighborhoods if need be, faceplate on the stereo could be removed... Main deck would stand out less, less expensive install, etc....

Plus with an All-In-One unit if something breaks/fails or the unit stops working, you're out EVERYTHING until it's fixed/repaired/replaced....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-30-2010 at 04:28 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
FruityPants3*

Personally, I'd probably save money on a costly install and instead go for one of the standard sized decks with the motorized screen that comes out.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote