HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coburn contract talks

Old
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Coburn actually had a real solid game this afternoon.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Coburn actually had a real solid game this afternoon.
Yeah he looked good back with Kimmo

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah he looked good back with Kimmo
I love mean Coburn. He shows up like 10 games a year, but mean Coburn is a treat to watch. Someone needs to get him angry in the locker room before every game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I love mean Coburn. He shows up like 10 games a year, but mean Coburn is a treat to watch. Someone needs to get him angry in the locker room before every game.
yeah he buried someone, dont remember who

Old
04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I guess Holmgren's barb about Coburn's agent fired him up a bit. Maybe Holmgren needs to talk smack about Coburn's girlfriend next.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:13 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If we had to keep either Parent or Coburn who do you keep?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
If we had to keep either Parent or Coburn who do you keep?
Coburn.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Coburn.
Agreed. Parent has a higher value in trades, but I think Coburn will ultimately be more valuable to our team in the next few years.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:42 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Agreed. Parent has a higher value in trades, but I think Coburn will ultimately be more valuable to our team in the next few years.
I highly doubt that.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I highly doubt that.
You really think teams want Coburn at this point? If I would have said the same thing a month ago you would agree.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You really think teams want Coburn at this point? If I would have said the same thing a month ago you would agree.
Coburn is better now and will be better forever.

Old
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I don't think Parents value ever surpassed Coburn's. He's a better player even when he is struggling, IMO.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:44 PM
97FlyersKing18

It really is a pleasure to watch Coburn skate, he is so smooth. He seems comfortable with the puck on his stick starting/leading the rush. He and Kimmo do great work together and compliment each other pretty well. I really wish he would use his shot from the point more, he can blow it past most goalies without traffic in front.

The raw talent is there and he has shown flashes of Top Pairing, but perhaps he is a little too old for the "development". He doesn't get beat because he is slow, he gets beat by elite players because of his average Hockey IQ.

Hopefully he takes a cap friendly deal and continues to learn from Pronger this season.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
It really is a pleasure to watch Coburn skate, he is so smooth. He seems comfortable with the puck on his stick starting/leading the rush. He and Kimmo do great work together and compliment each other pretty well. I really wish he would use his shot from the point more, he can blow it past most goalies without traffic in front.

The raw talent is there and he has shown flashes of Top Pairing, but perhaps he is a little too old for the "development". He doesn't get beat because he is slow, he gets beat by elite players because of his average Hockey IQ.

Hopefully he takes a cap friendly deal and continues to learn from Pronger this season.
Why don't people seem to understand that defensemen normally take longer to fully develop? Defense is a position that you just can't expect to dominate consistently from day one. Experience is more important than talent.

Coburn is going to be an awesome defenseman.

Old
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Why don't people seem to understand that defensemen normally take longer to fully develop? Defense is a position that you just can't expect to dominate consistently from day one. Experience is more important than talent.

Coburn is going to be an awesome defenseman.
I beg to differ. If that's the case, then why is it that guys like Ryan Suter, Shea Webber, Drew Doughty, Tyler Myers, Jay Bouwmeester, etc....all made impacts their first years in the NHL. Coburn has been in the league now for three and a half seasons now (people forget that he played 49 games in 06-07). For two of those seasons, he digressed something fierce. And now because he has a stretch of nice games, he's all of a sudden going to be an "awesome" defenseman. Have you watched him for the past two years, Chris? He teases everyone with his ability. He did it last year and he did it this year. He'll put together a stretch of where he's an absolute monster on the back end, but when he reaches that moment where you think he's going to break through and be that dominant guy, he falls apart and goes back into his rut. He'll have a stretch where he'll play 10 dominant games, followed up by 30 piss poor games.

People need to get over it. Coburn is what he is. He's a Therien v2.0 and that's being pretty generous.

Old
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I beg to differ. If that's the case, then why is it that guys like Ryan Suter, Shea Webber, Drew Doughty, Tyler Myers, Jay Bouwmeester, etc....all made impacts their first years in the NHL. Coburn has been in the league now for three and a half seasons now (people forget that he played 49 games in 06-07). For two of those seasons, he digressed something fierce. And now because he has a stretch of nice games, he's all of a sudden going to be an "awesome" defenseman. Have you watched him for the past two years, Chris? He teases everyone with his ability. He did it last year and he did it this year. He'll put together a stretch of where he's an absolute monster on the back end, but when he reaches that moment where you think he's going to break through and be that dominant guy, he falls apart and goes back into his rut. He'll have a stretch where he'll play 10 dominant games, followed up by 30 piss poor games.

People need to get over it. Coburn is what he is. He's a Therien v2.0 and that's being pretty generous.
So, is Phaneuf doomed to failure as a defenseman for all eternity as well?

He was selected one pick apart from Coburn, and it's not like he's spectacular anymore.

If Phaneuf did it before, he can do it again. If Coburn did it before, he can do it again too.

Old
04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
jb**

Quote:

Therian gets no repsect lol. He was very solid dman for most of his time here. so many people forget that. Because he was big and didnt hit people rag on him til no end. That was never ever his game in collge and in the ahl yet people though that was going to change. His last 1.5 years he was pretty bad. I wisht eh flyers could draft and develop another therian once in a while.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
So, is Phaneuf doomed to failure as a defenseman for all eternity as well?

He was selected one pick apart from Coburn, and it's not like he's spectacular anymore.
Mike Keenan was the best thing that ever happened to Dion Phaneuf. If anything, I'd say it was Brent Sutter who inexplicably turned on Phaneuf this year. How do you manage to alienate a defenseman who averaged 51.5 points per season in his four seasons in Calgary? As for Toronto, Phaneuf stepped into a mess there. I'll say Phaneuf will turn it around because he's shown in the past he can do it and he has a track record of doing it.

Quote:
If Phaneuf did it before, he can do it again. If Coburn did it before, he can do it again too.
Coburn has had ONE good season since joining the NHL. One. Phaneuf has had four good seasons before his bad one this year. Honestly, comparing Coburn to Phaneuf is like comparing Michel Petit to Brian Leetch. Coburn isn't even a quarter of the defenseman that Phaneuf is.

Old
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
I know why you say this, and that's fine, but Coburn has a great ****ing set of tools. He has all the talent in the world, but his mental game is shaky at best.

Therien had nothing close to the skill that Coburn has.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:00 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
yeah he buried someone, dont remember who
Filpulla

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I know why you say this, and that's fine, but Coburn has a great ****ing set of tools. He has all the talent in the world, but his mental game is shaky at best.

Therien had nothing close to the skill that Coburn has.
That's exactly the problem though.

Some d-men have the tools and the brain and even if it takes a while, they'll fulfill their potential.

Coburn simply doesn't have the brain, I remember one play today where he tried to skate the puck through traffic out of the zone and very nearly turned it over at the blue line.

He's had 4 years in the league and still does those things, that's what's worrying.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That's exactly the problem though.

Some d-men have the tools and the brain and even if it takes a while, they'll fulfill their potential.

Coburn simply doesn't have the brain, I remember one play today where he tried to skate the puck through traffic out of the zone and very nearly turned it over at the blue line.

He's had 4 years in the league and still does those things, that's what's worrying.
I've seen Neidermeyer do that a few times. Great players often do **** that makes you scream "no no no! don't do that.....oh **** NICE PLAY, YEAH!!!!!". I'm not saying Coburn is there yet, but he has the natural ability and I know it's cliche, but I think he will only get better with experience. Granted it takes some guys a lot longer to learn lessons than others, but he'll get there IMO.

Quote:
Coburn has had ONE good season since joining the NHL. One. Phaneuf has had four good seasons before his bad one this year. Honestly, comparing Coburn to Phaneuf is like comparing Michel Petit to Brian Leetch. Coburn isn't even a quarter of the defenseman that Phaneuf is.
Good by what standard? I think he has had 4 good seasons and one bad one where he is really coming on at the end of the year now. Rumors of Coburn sucking are greatly exaggerated.

Phaneuf had an iffy season last year as well according to most Flames fans I hear tell it. Nothing abysmal though, just not up to his usual standard. He played through a hip injury last year also.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 04-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Good by what standard? I think he has had 4 good seasons and one bad one where he is really coming on at the end of the year now. Rumors of Coburn sucking are greatly exaggerated.

Phaneuf had an iffy season last year as well according to most Flames fans I hear tell it. Nothing abysmal though, just not up to his usual standard. He played through a hip injury last year also.
Agree completely.

Old
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
At this point, if I'm Homer, I would start to get the trading wheel rolling for Carle in the offseason. Coburn should get ~2.25-2.75 mil and Parent ~1-1.5 mil. Coburn has turned his game around enough to earn the raise IMO. But before Homer gives out the new contract he needs to look Coburn in the face and seriously tell Braydon to not let him regret giving out that kind of contract. I mean, Coburn should get the message that if he doesn't maintain his good play next year, Homer will hunt him down Rambo style.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
HoverCarle*

I keep Coburn and Parent, and trade Carle.

(Unless someone will gives a goalie for Coburn or Parent)