HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards & Team Chemistry

Old
03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
There are two areas in his stats that are widely different from last year.

Assists - 50 last year, 30 this year
SH Goals - 7 last year, 1 this year

He has 2 fewer goals, with 6 games left to play. His faceoff % has improved, his average time on ice is a bit shorter, and his shooting percentage is a bit higher.

I wonder how many of those assists last year were from Knuble tipping a goal in from the crease. And how many goals did Gagne whiff on after a perfect setup for the first 3/4 of this season?
I wasn't really speaking statistically, because stats can be misleading. I think he is just a different player this year. Not throwing him under the bus, just pointing out that his play has often been subpar through stretches (along with other players like Gagne, Briere, and Hartnell).

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
DayoftheGreek

I haven't really been a big fan of Richards this year. Something just seems missing.

He did seem frustrated this game though. I've never seen a player shoot the puck back to their own goalie from the offensive blue line. It was so strange.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Frustration and being Captain come hand in hand when your team is not winning games, all the media and players look to the captain to get results. I don't blame Richards for being frustrated of late, Flyers have won 3 games in there last 10.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Frustration and being Captain come hand in hand when your team is not winning games, all the media and players look to the captain to get results. I don't blame Richards for being frustrated of late, Flyers have won 3 games in there last 10.
I would blame him if he wasn't frustrated

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Betts11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsConduct11 View Post
As a long time reader of this board I just have to say it amazes me how fast some of you are quick to throw a guy under the bus. I will gladly take a captain who works his ass off every game and does not YAP and call out guys to the media.

Seems funny to me about how every member of that team says Richards is a very strong leader and a great captain. Yet the media who obviously have a vendetta against the guy want to stir up a bunch of ****.

Also I like Pronger but if we're going to talk about a "locker room divide" it wouldn't surprise me if it was coming from him. Excellent hockey player and person but he has had multiple problems on several different teams with this exact same thing.
Agreed with this one. Good post.

Betts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
As a long time reader of this board I just have to say it amazes me how fast some of you are quick to throw a guy under the bus. I will gladly take a captain who works his ass off every game and does not YAP and call out guys to the media.

Seems funny to me about how every member of that team says Richards is a very strong leader and a great captain. Yet the media who obviously have a vendetta against the guy want to stir up a bunch of ****.

Also I like Pronger but if we're going to talk about a "locker room divide" it wouldn't surprise me if it was coming from him. Excellent hockey player and person but he has had multiple problems on several different teams with this exact same thing.
Richards has openly stated that he doesn't like the media and so as you would guess the media is going to criticize the hell out of him because he won't talk to them or give them anything of value. I think the team is fine and he's doing fine, just the news that we're getting is mostly a load of horse ****.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
MsConduct11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Richards has openly stated that he doesn't like the media and so as you would guess the media is going to criticize the hell out of him because he won't talk to them or give them anything of value. I think the team is fine and he's doing fine, just the news that we're getting is mostly a load of horse ****.
Yup I agree, and also a lot of that is on him obviously for getting on the wrong side of the media in the first place. But I can't stand reading the crap that has been written. Especially since thats what it is - crap.

MsConduct11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
fire bettman

Here is the difficult thing about having Richards as the Captain from a fans point of view: He's seems to be an extremely modest person therefore I don't think we see a lot of excitement out of him on the ice, not a bad thing... but to some people it can seem like he's too serious or pissed off and he probably is sometimes. Another bad thing is that he hates the media... and we as fans only really get to communicate with him through the media. Is the media to blame for that or should Richie just suck it up and realize that he's talking to fans more than just reporters? That's really up for interpretation.

And this is why I don't like this subject... no one on these boards (as far as I know) are in the locker room during games or practices so it's really impossible to judge how well of a leader someone is from a fan's perspective. You can base it upon performance on the ice but lets face it, before the Devils game, no one was performing.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Yup I agree, and also a lot of that is on him obviously for getting on the wrong side of the media in the first place. But I can't stand reading the crap that has been written. Especially since thats what it is - crap.
No, it's on the media for getting on his wrong side for criticizing him that he parties too much.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2351
Here's an article on Philly.com:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e_problem.html

Quote:
Pronger assesses the team's effort on most nights, sometimes in harsh language. Before him, Kimmo Timonen, son of a coach, did that. It's never been Richards' strong suit, and the team seems to have enough talkers. We all should remember, too, that when the team made its last spirited playoff run, into the 2008 Eastern Conference Final, the captain was Jason Smith.

He wasn't exactly Keith Primeau. But he played hurt, he never made excuses, and he never called anyone out. Kind of like Richards now.

More relevant is whether Richards, who grew up in the system with several of the better young Flyers, is capable of distancing himself as their captain, is capable of reaming out the room when it's called for.

"I know that he is doing that," Holmgren insisted. "On top of playing his [butt] off when he's on the ice. I've got no bones with Mike's play or what he's doing for this hockey team."

After the one-sided win Sunday over the Devils, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was asked what message he tried to give to his players following the loss to Pittsburgh.

As if waiting for it, the coach snapped out, "The captain, Mike Richards, gave it.

"And it was a good message," Laviolette went on. "He met with them and he told them to focus on just this game tonight. I thought it was the perfect thing tonight. Not to worry about four points or four wins or five wins or 10 points. That was the message and it was delivered by Mike Richards."

Clearly, Laviolette was sending his own message.

"There's a lot that goes on in the room that you guys don't know about," he said. "He's done a good job. That was just an example."

He will improve as he ages, as did Timonen and Pronger, as did tough-minded survivors like Ian Laperriere. But he will also have to say goodbye to some old friends who might have stayed around here longer if they had watched or listened to him a little more.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
nope, this article makes no sense. The only way to be an effective captain is to call guys out in the media, and yell at people.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Laviolette translation:

"screw off media"

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

i personally don't think Pronger causes problems. with his age and experience, he would be considered a ****** leader if he did that everywhere he went, not a good one.

its not like im in the locker room though, so who knows.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
nope, this article makes no sense. The only way to be an effective captain is to call guys out in the media, and yell at people.
Yes!!!!!! because we all know if Richards came out said Hartnell sucks, Briere hasnt played well, Coburn blows and our goaltending chews balls that it would be great for team morale. Thats what everyone wants!!!!!

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks MSE. I thought this line was interesting...

Quote:
But he will also have to say goodbye to some old friends who might have stayed around here longer if they had watched or listened to him a little more.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Thanks MSE. I thought this line was interesting...
^ I interpreted that as the past (Lupul) as well as possibly the future. Maybe I'm reading too deeply into it, but I sensed the writer meant that Richards is wearing his emotions on his sleeves regarding players who have been dealt and thus he hasn't said goodbye. If only Kierkegaard was here to interpret.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:49 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Yes!!!!!! because we all know if Richards came out said Hartnell sucks, Briere hasnt played well, Coburn blows and our goaltending chews balls that it would be great for team morale. Thats what everyone wants!!!!!
accurate.....

can I add Homer pissing away that center ice speed with the salary cap move of Upshall which Richards criticized at the time ?

just sayin'.....if not for Leighton we'd all be jumping off the nearest bridge right now

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
captainpaxil

i was listening to the interview between periods with messier and he said one of the things that made him a great captain was taking guys out and getting to know them off the ice. i wonder if the philly media would have thought he partied too much too.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote