HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rickard Wallin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2010, 09:38 AM
  #26
beleaf101
Registered User
 
beleaf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
It's all about the salary cap. Can somebody else come in and be the 12-13th forward at the same salary. I think since the Calgary trade Wallin has been better with the increased ice time. Also remember all the time he was out of lineup when the college guys got called up from the Marlies and never heard him complain. Same thing could happen next year as Hanson, Kadri, Caputi and others find their game. Its really about being the 13th foward.

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
  #27
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 50
I think if what the Leafs wanted was an energy forward who in emergencies could play on a third or second line Marcus Paulsson of the same team would've been a better choice... Not as good hockey sense like Wallin (who is looked upon having a really good one somewhere in there by SEL fans) but abit faster, 4 years younger.

6-2 190 pounds. Good for about 15-20 goals in the SEL and could put in the 10-15 range in the NHL. More of an energy player than Wallin and much more straight forward in his play.

With the Färjestad-Toronto connection I wouldn't be surprised if he got signed one day when the Leafs are low on forwards..

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
  #28
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,721
vCash: 500
Wallin's just overmatched at this level. I don't see him being brought back next year, but stranger things have happened.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
  #29
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Wallin's just overmatched at this level. I don't see him being brought back next year, but stranger things have happened.
If Weinhandl can get selected for the olympics; Rickard Wallin for sure can play 4-5 more seasons in the NHL.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:02 AM
  #30
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
If Weinhandl can get selected for the olympics; Rickard Wallin for sure can play 4-5 more seasons in the NHL.
Not with the Leafs hopefully. The guy hasn't made a lick of difference for us offensively OR defensively and has no physical game either.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
  #31
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!
 
AlienWorkShop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Haha, I was honestly surprised this wasn't a thread praising Wallin for his play of late.

As many have said, Wallin's been a pretty solid 4th liner for quite a few games now. 3 points and a -7 in his first 35 games, 6 points and a -1 in his last 20.

Also of note is he's winning faceoffs at a 45% rate on the year, and I remember it being roughly 40% around midyear. And he's now 2nd in PK time to Sjostrom.

A little sad that many of us are so pleased to see him perform at a 4th line level haha, but he was just sooo useless at the start of the year.

There's a reason its been Lundmark and Primeau alternating as healthy scratches of late and not Wallin.

Pretty indifferent as to whether he returns or not, but wouldn't mind taking him back on the 4th line if he continues at this level. Generally best to fill the 4th line with cheap veterans rather than young guys. I suspect we'll retain one of Primeau or Wallin and I think its pretty much a toss up right now.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
  #32
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Wallin played with Marcus Paulsson and Lee Goren I think. Wallin was the clearly most talented on the line and maybe the third or so best player(non-goalie) in the SEL.

This just goes to show you the credibility of the SEL...Garbage league if Wallin is 3rd best player....Really diminishes Gustavsson's accomplishments in that league IMO.

Laughable...the praise this guy is getting..Original poster..you are correct. He has got to be one of the worst players in the league. Colton Orr has more goals and his job is simple....Terrify the other team...What exactly is Wallin's job..PK? Make me laugh...The guy is scared out there. He shys away from any physical contact...he doesnt forecheck...doesn't win any puck battles...doesn't chip in with the odd timely goal...NOTHING....

Oh but he has been better of late...GET THE F*(& OUTTA HERE PLEASE.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
  #33
ansah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
I think he knows his role and does it well, never get caught trying to do too much, he's reliable defensively, he's cheap, I don't mind having him next year, Monster will be happy too


Last edited by ansah: 03-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.
ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
  #34
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
Wallin will never wow people with his offensive skill,Burke signed him because of his defence

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:02 AM
  #35
CellarDweller0
Registered User
 
CellarDweller0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Wallin has become a pretty good PK guy. One thing I've noticed is that compared to other leafs he chooses to skate around with the puck to kill time and does so safely. I would watch him and think; OMG he's going back to our zone, and then realized that he had it under control and relaxed again. Anyone could do that, I know, but he does it more and better than anyone currently is on the Leafs.

I vote +1 for Wallin in recent games.

That said, however, I cannot see him sticking around after this season.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
  #36
theguru
Registered User
 
theguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
This just goes to show you the credibility of the SEL...Garbage league if Wallin is 3rd best player....Really diminishes Gustavsson's accomplishments in that league IMO.

Laughable...the praise this guy is getting..Original poster..you are correct. He has got to be one of the worst players in the league. Colton Orr has more goals and his job is simple....Terrify the other team...What exactly is Wallin's job..PK? Make me laugh...The guy is scared out there. He shys away from any physical contact...he doesnt forecheck...doesn't win any puck battles...doesn't chip in with the odd timely goal...NOTHING....

Oh but he has been better of late...GET THE F*(& OUTTA HERE PLEASE.
finally, someone else can see the light! thank you!

the guy is about the most dreadfull hockey player i've ever seen at the NHL level. completely useless. i don't care about his PK skills, or how much he makes. the guy is a joke. the only reason i can fathom burke putting up with his constant blowing snow, is because he carries the monsters jock?

theguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
  #37
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 500
If this thread was made earlier in the season, I could see people agreeing with this, but Wallin has been playing much better lately (2 assists last night). I don't know if he'll be re-signed, but I wouldn't mind if he was.

To the OP, stats aren't everything. He is a leader in the locker room (former captain of SEL team, alternate captain on National Team), most of the guys on the team like him, he plays strong defensively and has been playing on the top PK line. He may not get a lot of points, but how much more can you ask of a player who is being paid 800k a year? He does what he's asked any makes few mistakes and he is not a liability. As someone above said there is a reason he is being played and Primeau and Lundmark are sitting out.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
  #38
Belak Attack
:walrus:
 
Belak Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canadia.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I think if what the Leafs wanted was an energy forward who in emergencies could play on a third or second line Marcus Paulsson of the same team would've been a better choice... Not as good hockey sense like Wallin (who is looked upon having a really good one somewhere in there by SEL fans) but abit faster, 4 years younger.

6-2 190 pounds. Good for about 15-20 goals in the SEL and could put in the 10-15 range in the NHL. More of an energy player than Wallin and much more straight forward in his play.

With the Färjestad-Toronto connection I wouldn't be surprised if he got signed one day when the Leafs are low on forwards..
...Can we send finger to our affiliate in Farjestad? Haha.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
  #39
dubey
So hot right now
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hackey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguru View Post
finally, someone else can see the light! thank you!

the guy is about the most dreadfull hockey player i've ever seen at the NHL level. completely useless. i don't care about his PK skills, or how much he makes. the guy is a joke. the only reason i can fathom burke putting up with his constant blowing snow, is because he carries the monsters jock?
lol

I've always wondered if I'd ever see the day that someone would agree with hockeyfanz. Couldn't have been a better response either.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
  #40
Rifleman
Registered User
 
Rifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
leave Wallin aloneeeeeeeeeeeee


Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM
  #41
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 13,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
If this thread was made earlier in the season, I could see people agreeing with this, but Wallin has been playing much better lately (2 assists last night). I don't know if he'll be re-signed, but I wouldn't mind if he was.

To the OP, stats aren't everything. He is a leader in the locker room (former captain of SEL team, alternate captain on National Team), most of the guys on the team like him, he plays strong defensively and has been playing on the top PK line. He may not get a lot of points, but how much more can you ask of a player who is being paid 800k a year? He does what he's asked any makes few mistakes and he is not a liability. As someone above said there is a reason he is being played and Primeau and Lundmark are sitting out.
This. At the beginning of the year I was deadset against bringing him back however he seems to be finding some footing in the NHL. At a minimum salary, I wouldn't have a problem having him as a 12th/13th forward. I would bring him back before I bring Mitchell back.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
  #42
Belak Attack
:walrus:
 
Belak Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canadia.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
This. At the beginning of the year I was deadset against bringing him back however he seems to be finding some footing in the NHL. At a minimum salary, I wouldn't have a problem having him as a 12th/13th forward. I would bring him back before I bring Mitchell back.
Last year I was alright with Mitchell...now not so much. Only thing he's good for is shootouts...

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
  #43
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak Attack View Post
Last year I was alright with Mitchell...now not so much. Only thing he's good for is shootouts...
Johnny "One Move" Malkin? I hope he does not come back. I would much rather Wallin than him.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
  #44
Beeferoni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
guys like wallin and mitchell should be resigned at the league minimum. we need the cheap contracts in order to pay MONSTER and Kulemin, and they honestly wouldnt get offers anywhere else.

wallin is a little better than the beginning of the year, actually looks like a 65% nhl player. Mithcell, sometimes he looks like Jonny Malkin, other times, well he looks like John Mitchell.
well put. i've liked wallin's game of late. he's quite reliable. he's been getting ice time during crucial moments, and i get the feeling that he's gained the trust of his team mates for his smart defensive play.

these guys are keepers for the right price (ie the league minimum), but if we need to move them, then good luck to them elsewhere.

Beeferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
  #45
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CanadasTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarrana
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,436
vCash: 500
You guys remember this?

Quote:
Cherry ended with a comment on the gold necklace Wallin wears as hardly befitting a true pro hockey player.

“Everyone has the right to criticize a player’s performance,” Wallin said yesterday at the MasterCard Centre. “He doesn’t think it looks good, but what I wear and how I look is not his (business).”

Wallin, who said he’s quite familiar with Cherry and his Swedish bias from his first NHL stint with the Minnesota Wild before the lockout, said he would continue wearing the chain, saying “it has meaning for me”, without going into detail.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...69111-sun.html

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
  #46
Winther
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Rickard Wallin next season?

Hey there leafers! Fellow swedish red wings fan here. I come in peace!

I was wondering about what you guys think will happen with Rickard Wallin next season? Does it seem like the Leafs want to keep him? How has he been this season? The reason im asking is im hoping he moves back to sweden and färjestad, "my" club over here . And oh btw, we'll take care of Gustavsson aswell please. You dont need him now that you have Conn Smythe-Giguere!

So, what do you guys think?

Winther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
  #47
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
He's widely regarded as the worst NHL'er around these parts. He should be headed back to Sweden next year with any luck. If the leafs re sign him many leafs fans will be very very upset. He is not the answer to any teams problems unless they simply have to much talent and want to balance that out with no talent.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
  #48
Bills09
Registered User
 
Bills09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pickering, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,649
vCash: 500
you want him, have him.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
  #49
Winther
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
He's widely regarded as the worst NHL'er around these parts. He should be headed back to Sweden next year with any luck. If the leafs re sign him many leafs fans will be very very upset. He is not the answer to any teams problems unless they simply have to much talent and want to balance that out with no talent.
Hehe ok, a bit harsh . I can actually see that, he is too slow for NHL-hockey. He fits nicely in Elitserien though, good teamplayer and leader. He is needed at home! Do you guys know if there has been any report about him eventually re-signing with the leafs?

Winther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
  #50
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Gustavsson ain`t going nowhere but you can take Mr. Wallin if you like.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.