02-25-2010, 04:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Move'er up to the CAN!!
Doubtful.

First, the team is highly successful attendance-wise. And there's a lease.

Why move a successful franchise?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Doubtful.

First, the team is highly successful attendance-wise. And there's a lease.

Why move a successful franchise?
Indeed - considering the Thunder draw better than all but six teams in the AHL, it'd be foolish to move them from a market where they're doing well. The Thunder have done well since moving to California from Atlantic City, NJ - there's no need to move them at all.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Move'er up to the CAN!!
Very unlikely minor pro hockey does not do all that well at all in canada.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Very unlikely minor pro hockey does not do all that well at all in canada.
The Salmon Kings say hi...

I'm all for more ECHL and AHL teams in Canada, minor pro hockey is a good draw in smaller Canadian cities. However, I'm also in favor of leaving healthy US markets alone. I would like to see them move a struggling ECHL team to Nanaimo.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:29 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post

I'm all for more ECHL and AHL teams in Canada, minor pro hockey is a good draw in smaller Canadian cities. However, I'm also in favor of leaving healthy US markets alone. I would like to see them move a struggling ECHL team to Nanaimo.
Some smaller citys may do ok but at the same time some smaller citys are very big major jr markets and may not support minior pro.I am if it would be a great idea placing a echl team in nanaimo.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post

Who is "them"? All you need is a local ownership group with the financial resources available to purchase and operate a franchise to apply for an ECHL franchise.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Luigi Daniele

This is my local team.

Man, I hope they stay

Luigi Daniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Rocko604

I hope they stay, they've been successful, attendance wise, since their inception despite (below)average on-ice play. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Personally, I think any Canadian market would much rather have Major Junior over minor-pro. Last I heard it was still 50/50 in Victoria on the issue.

But if you do put a minor pro team in Canada, be aware of your surroundings, ie. the options in or around the city be it NHL or Major Junior.

And for crying out loud, if your an AHL club, don't be the affiliate of that area's biggest rival *cough Abbotsford Heat cough*

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Who is "them"? All you need is a local ownership group with the financial resources available to purchase and operate a franchise to apply for an ECHL franchise.
"Them" isn't me... I just meant whoever was in charge of making that decision or had the cash and an arena ready to do so... I generally don't like it when other cities lose their teams unless there is good financial reasons, and if the ECHL is open to expansion, win-win.

Quote:
Some smaller citys may do ok but at the same time some smaller citys are very big major jr markets and may not support minior pro.I am if it would be a great idea placing a echl team in nanaimo.
I think Canadian cities and fans would catch on if they knew more about what the product was. I think the problem is they don't get much coverage, so the average Canadian fan just has no idea what it's about. A lot of fans I talk to of Canadian NHL teams don't seem to know how the minor league system works, other than maybe knowing the name of their favorite NHL's team's AHL club. Some are aware of the existence of the ECHL just because one of their NHL team's players once played on an ECHL team (eg. Alex Burrows)

Quote:
Last I heard it was still 50/50 in Victoria on the issue
I think there will always be the hold-outs that will want another WHL franchise back in Victoria. The league left for Prince George, as the old Memorial Arena, or commonly called "The Barn on Blanshard (Street)" was aging terribly and in need of a replacement. The WHL showed little interest in coming back to the city until after the SOFMC rink was built. For a while, the mayor at the time pursued the now-defunct IHL Spiders as an anchor tenant, but they couldn't get financing together to build an arena.

A new group RG Properties put together a bid that included the ECHL team, and they built an arena. They also bled financial and hockey loses in their expansion year, as they had to play in the then brand new but too small for the ECHL rink, Bear Mountain Arena. They helped the city to get the rink built, and they don't seem to be budging from owning the team and operating the arena for the city. If the WHL wants to play in Victoria, they better come with their own arena bid.

The way I see it, the CHL may be great for seeing some future and current NHL draft picks for a year or two before the NHL takes them away from your team. However, the third and fourth lines of those teams often are populated by guys that are not seeking hockey as a career or are long-shots to even get drafted. Most ECHL'ers want to move up the chain to the AHL and eventually the NHL, and you still get to see good goalies and decent skaters sometimes when there is a goalie or skater glut in an NHL's farm organization.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Press release just issued that ECHL BOG has unanimously approved sale.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote